Re: [Clip] add column array for more than 40 lines

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 10 , May 10, 2006
      hsavage wrote:
      > Jody wrote:
      > > Hi hsavage and Pat,
      > >
      > > From what I can tell, Harvey is correct. Yes, I know I wrote it,
      > >
      > > Jody
      >
      > Pat,
      >
      > If you're still there and don't have a resolution yet here is a clip
      > that works on the sample you sent.
      >
      > date tot id
      > 05-08 54 mw
      > 05-08 10 rn
      > 05-08 19 sd
      > 05-07 04 ba
      >
      > The list must be formatted exactly like the example you sent originally
      > and there can't be anything other than the list of numbers in the file.
      >
      > :SHOWCOUNT
      > ^!Info [L]Total number of lines = ^$Calc(^%Count%-2)$^pTotal number
      > count = ^%TotalCount%
      >
      > The last line is long enough that it may get wrapped in email, carefully
      > check, line starts with ^!Info [L] and ends with ^%TotalCount%.

      Pat,

      Yet another clip. This one will add only the rows you select. You must
      select at least 2 full rows, the cursor at the end of selection must be
      in the left margin after the end of the selection.

      With this clip only the selected rows will be added, no need to cut and
      paste a portion from a larger file to a new file.

      H="Add Selected Array-Row/Columns"
      ; noteblock.clb
      ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
      ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060510
      ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_01:45:17p
      ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
      ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ < 28 NEXT ELSE SKIP_3
      ^!StatusShow Minimum of 2 Full rows must be SELECTED!
      ^!Delay 40
      ^!Goto END
      ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
      ^!SetArray %linelist%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetSelection$";0;0)$
      ^!Set %count%=^%linelist0%; %index%=^$Calc(^$GetRowStart$-1)$
      ^!Set %bL%=^$GetRowEnd$; %addnumber%=0
      ^!SetDelimiter ^%space%
      ;
      :LOOP
      ^!Inc %index%
      ^!If ^%index% = ^%bL% SHOWCOUNT
      ^!Set %addnumber%=^$Calc(^$GetField(^%index%;3)$+^%addnumber%)$
      ^!Set %totalcount%=^%addnumber%
      ^!Goto LOOP
      ;
      :SHOWCOUNT
      ^!Info [L]Total Numbers Added = ^$Calc(^%count%-1)$^pTotal of Rows
      Added = ^%totalcount%

      ºvº
      06.05.10_14.08
      -Newspaper HeadLine...
      "Deaf College Opens Doors to Hearing"
      hrs ø hsavage@...
    • Pat
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11, 2006
        > > If you're still there and don't have a resolution yet here is a
        clip
        > > that works on the sample you sent.
        > >
        > > date tot id
        > > 05-08 54 mw
        > > 05-08 10 rn

        Sweet! Thank you. Both clips are exactly what we needed. they even
        ignore "----" or line spacers! I mean encountering a dashed field
        doesn't generate an error. wonderful. thank you.

        pat
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11, 2006
          Hi Harvey,

          Thanks, son. :) I'm glad you found the time to update the Clip.
          If you would like to make a tiny adjustment I'll replace the one
          you updated with what is in my NoteBlock with your modified
          credit of course. :) What I would like to see is a popup wizard
          to ask which field/column number to add up. I know you know how
          to do that, so I won't waste time explaining how to. Thanks bro!
          (There are plenty of examples on how to do it in the Library
          anyway for others to look at if they wish.) From NoteTab's
          PasteBack feature/Clip:

          You might be interested in trying out my Library called NoteBlock
          which works specifically with delimited files. You can sort by
          fields (column), delete fields, reorder fields, replace in
          fields, and more... As always, use on a test document first to
          ensure there are no bugs and you should have a backup. ;)

          http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
          http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
          Clipbar w/ buttons

          Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.

          > > Hi hsavage and Pat,
          > >
          > > From what I can tell, Harvey is correct. Yes, I know I wrote it,
          > > but don't have more time other than just glance at it. You would
          > > need to add a function to ^$GetField(Row;Col)$ but I don't have
          > > the time right now. You can easily use the feature to Modify |
          > > Block | Copy and Paste New then run the Clip to get the total. If
          > > this is something you do all the time, then maybe somebody will
          > > update it for you or I might find time sometime before 2007. ;)
          > >
          > > Go to Modify | Block and highlight Copy, then press F1 and read
          > > Help about the feature.

          Convert your eMail programs... Aid4Mail: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

          Freeware and Shareware; some seamleesly integrates with NoteTab:
          http://www.sojourner.us/software

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11, 2006
            Pat wrote:
            >> > If you're still there and don't have a resolution yet here is a
            > clip
            >> > that works on the sample you sent.
            >> >
            >> > date tot id
            >> > 05-08 54 mw
            >> > 05-08 10 rn
            >

            > Sweet! Thank you. Both clips are exactly what we needed. they even
            > ignore "----" or line spacers! I mean encountering a dashed field
            > doesn't generate an error. wonderful. thank you.
            >
            > pat

            Pat,

            I hadn't tested it with line breaks or dashed dividers, I should
            probably test further.

            --
            ºvº
            06.05.11_16.53
            Message 5 of 10 , May 12, 2006
              Jody wrote:
              > Hi Harvey,
              >
              > Thanks, son. :) I'm glad you found the time to update the Clip.
              > If you would like to make a tiny adjustment I'll replace the one
              > you updated with what is in my NoteBlock with your modified
              > credit of course. :) What I would like to see is a popup wizard
              > to ask which field/column number to add up.
              >
              > http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
              > http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
              > Clipbar w/ buttons
              >
              > Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.
              >
              > Happy Clip'n!
              > Jody

              Jody,

              Here are 2 example modified clips based on your "Add column Array for
              More Than 40 Line Maximum".

              The first clip is basically like yours, does any number of columns as
              long as they're in a discrete file with nothing else in the file. I
              fudged the index# by starting it at 'one', to compensate for a top row
              of column names. Change it if you like and instruct the user to avoid
              using column names with the clip.

              The second clip calculates the columns in place without the need of an
              external file. It operates only on the user selected rows and the user
              should avoid including line breaks or other text based dividers to
              separate rows.

              The calculations that sets the index# number and bottomline number are
              necessary so the prior selection can be made at any point in the file.

              I added options to select different column delimiters and different
              columns to calculate. I don't think there are any glaring errors in them.

              More bells and whistles could be added but these are very serviceable.

              <>·····Start First Clip·····<>
              H="Sum Array Full-column"
              ; noteblock.clb
              ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
              ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060510
              ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_12:01:56p
              ; will work best without any type of linebreaks or line separators
              ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
              ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
              ^!SetArray %LineList%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetText$";0;0)$
              ^!Set %Count%=^%LineList0%
              ^!Set %index%=1; %AddNumber%=0
              ;
              ^!Info [L]Carefully consider these entries, be sure to count columns and
              set delimiters correctly!^%nL%^%nL%It's best not to include line breaks
              or dividers such as, "----", they throw the linecount off and if you
              choose any column with a non-numeric entry the calculation will cause an
              ERROR.^%nL%^%nL%This ^!Info [L] command can be commented out when you
              choose.
              ^!Set %delim%=^?{(H=6)Pick individual Row
              delimiter==Colon^=^%colon%|Semi-Colon^=^%sc%|_Space^=^%space%|Tab^=^%tab%|vBar^=^%vbar%};
              %col2tot%=^?{Enter column number to total=3}
              ;
              ^!SetDelimiter ^%delim%
              :LOOP
              ^!Inc %index%
              ^!If ^%index% > ^%Count% SHOWCOUNT
              ^!Set %AddNumber%=^$Calc(^$GetField(^%index%;^%col2tot%)$+^%AddNumber%)$
              ^!Set %TotalCount%=^%AddNumber%
              ^!Goto LOOP
              ;
              :SHOWCOUNT
              ^!Info [L]Total number of lines = ^$Calc(^%Count%-2)$^pTotal number
              count = ^%TotalCount%
              <>·····End First Clip·····<>

              <>····Start Second Clip····<>
              H="Sum Array Partial-Column"
              ; noteblock.clb
              ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
              ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060511
              ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_07:14:19p
[...]
              ^!Set %bottomline%=^$GetRowEnd$; %addnumber%=0
              ;
              ^!SetDelimiter ^%delim%
              :LOOP
              ^!Inc %index%
              ^!If ^%index% = ^%bottomline% SHOWCOUNT
              ^!Set %addnumber%=^$Calc(^$GetField(^%index%;^%col2tot%)$+^%addnumber%)$
              ^!Set %totalcount%=^%addnumber%
              ^!Goto LOOP
              ;
              :SHOWCOUNT
              ^!Info [L]Total Numbers Added = ^$Calc(^%count%-1)$^pTotal of Rows
              Added = ^%totalcount%
              <>·····End Second Clip ·····<>

              ºvº
              06.05.12_18.17
              "Driving a Car Safely; A Skill You 'CAN' Acquire."
              hrs ø hsavage@...
              Message 6 of 10 , May 15, 2006
                Hi Harvey,

                I'll add the Clips someday when we get done testing everything
                that's going on right now with Fookes Software. I'll post a
                message/reply when I upload the updated files.