Re: [Clip] add column array for more than 40 lines

    Message 1 of 10 , May 9, 2006
      Hi hsavage and Pat,

      From what I can tell, Harvey is correct. Yes, I know I wrote it,
      but don't have time more time than just glance at it. You would
      need to add a function to ^$GetField(Row;Col)$ but I don't have
      the time right now. You can easily use the feature to Modify |
      Block | Copy and Paste New then run the Clip to get the total. If
      this is something you do all the time, then maybe somebody will
      update it for you or I might find time sometime before 2007. ;)

      Go to Modify | Block and highlight Copy, then press F1 and read
      Help about the feature.

      >>> the clip generates an error (stops as sum of 52) when i
      >>> highlight the column "TOT" (space delimited data.) I can't see
      >>> why? can you? data to play with below...
      > >

      > > H="Add column Array for More Than 40 Line Maximum"
      > > ; noteblock.clb
      > > ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
      > > ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us
      > >
      > > ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
      > > ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
      > > ^!SetArray %LineList%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetText$";0;0)$
      > > ^!Set %Count%=^%LineList0%
      > > ^!Set %Index%=0; %AddNumber%=0
      > >
      > > :Loop
      > > ^!Inc %Index%
      > > ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% ShowCount
      > > ^!Set %AddNumber%=^$Calc(^%LineList^%Index%%+^%AddNumber%)$
      > > ^!Set %TotalCount%=^%AddNumber%
      > > ^!Goto Loop
      > >
      > > :ShowCount
      > > ^!info Total number of lines = ^%Count%^pTotal number count =
      >^%TotalCount%
      > > ;end
      > >
      > > date tot id
      > > 05-08 54 mw
      > > 05-08 10 rn
      > > 05-08 19 sd
      > > 05-07 04 ba
      > > 05-07 20 br
      >
      >Pat,
      >
      >The clip as written won't run on the example array you've provided. The
      >clip IS written to run on a single column of numbers set to an array, as
      >below with no column name header.
      >
      >54
      >10
      >19
      >04
      >20
      >
      >The clip can be modified to run on the sample you provided, as below
      >with no column name header, but a lot depends on how much the total
      >column may change, number of digits in each total number, etc..
      >
      >In both examples you could retain the header name but adjustments to the
      >clip commands would need be made.
      >
      >05-08 54 mw
      >05-08 10 rn
      >05-08 19 sd
      >05-07 04 ba
      >05-07 20 br
      >
      > ºvº
      > 06.05.09_11.43
      > "Cooking II; Bran and Tofu are Not For Human Consumption."
      > hrs ø hsavage@...

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Convert your eMail programs... Aid4Mail: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

      Freeware and Shareware; some seamleesly integrates with NoteTab:
      http://www.sojourner.us/software

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 10 , May 10, 2006
        Jody wrote:
        > Hi hsavage and Pat,
        >
        > From what I can tell, Harvey is correct. Yes, I know I wrote it,
        > but don't have time more time than just glance at it. You would
        > need to add a function to ^$GetField(Row;Col)$ but I don't have
        > the time right now. You can easily use the feature to Modify |
        > Block | Copy and Paste New then run the Clip to get the total. If
        > this is something you do all the time, then maybe somebody will
        > update it for you or I might find time sometime before 2007. ;)
        >
        > Go to Modify | Block and highlight Copy, then press F1 and read
        > Help about the feature.
        >
        > Jody

        Pat,

        If you're still there and don't have a resolution yet here is a clip
        that works on the sample you sent.

        date tot id
        05-08 54 mw
        05-08 10 rn
        05-08 19 sd
        05-07 04 ba

        In the final ^!Info [L] box the count is reduced by 2 to compensate for
        the header line and also the last blank line at the bottom of the number
        list.

        The list must be formatted exactly like the example you sent originally
        and there can't be anything other than the list of numbers in the file.

        H="Add Array-column #3"
        ; noteblock.clb
        ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
        ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060510
        ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_12:01:56p
        ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
        ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
        ^!SetArray %LineList%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetText$";0;0)$
        ^!Set %Count%=^%LineList0%
        ^!Set %index%=1; %AddNumber%=0
        ^!SetDelimiter ^%space%
        :LOOP
        ^!Inc %index%
        ^!If ^%index% > ^%Count% SHOWCOUNT
        ^!Set %AddNumber%=^$Calc(^$GetField(^%index%;3)$+^%AddNumber%)$
        ^!Set %TotalCount%=^%AddNumber%
        ^!Goto LOOP
        ;
        :SHOWCOUNT
        ^!Info [L]Total number of lines = ^$Calc(^%Count%-2)$^pTotal number
        count = ^%TotalCount%

        The last line is long enough that it may get wrapped in email, carefully
        check, line starts with ^!Info [L] and ends with ^%TotalCount%.

        --
        ºvº
        06.05.10_12.01
        Message 3 of 10 , May 10, 2006
          hsavage wrote:
          > Jody wrote:
          > > Hi hsavage and Pat,
          > >
          > > From what I can tell, Harvey is correct. Yes, I know I wrote it,
          > >
          > > Jody
          >
          > Pat,
          >
          > If you're still there and don't have a resolution yet here is a clip
          > that works on the sample you sent.
          >
          > date tot id
          > 05-08 54 mw
          > 05-08 10 rn
          > 05-08 19 sd
          > 05-07 04 ba
          >
          > The list must be formatted exactly like the example you sent originally
          > and there can't be anything other than the list of numbers in the file.
          >
          > :SHOWCOUNT
          > ^!Info [L]Total number of lines = ^$Calc(^%Count%-2)$^pTotal number
          > count = ^%TotalCount%
          >
          > The last line is long enough that it may get wrapped in email, carefully
          > check, line starts with ^!Info [L] and ends with ^%TotalCount%.

          Pat,

          Yet another clip. This one will add only the rows you select. You must
          select at least 2 full rows, the cursor at the end of selection must be
          in the left margin after the end of the selection.

          With this clip only the selected rows will be added, no need to cut and
          paste a portion from a larger file to a new file.

          H="Add Selected Array-Row/Columns"
          ; noteblock.clb
          ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
          ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060510
          ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_01:45:17p
          ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
          ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ < 28 NEXT ELSE SKIP_3
          ^!StatusShow Minimum of 2 Full rows must be SELECTED!
          ^!Delay 40
          ^!Goto END
          ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
          ^!SetArray %linelist%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetSelection$";0;0)$
          ^!Set %count%=^%linelist0%; %index%=^$Calc(^$GetRowStart$-1)$
          ^!Set %bL%=^$GetRowEnd$; %addnumber%=0
          ^!SetDelimiter ^%space%
          ;
          :LOOP
          ^!Inc %index%
          ^!If ^%index% = ^%bL% SHOWCOUNT
          ^!Set %addnumber%=^$Calc(^$GetField(^%index%;3)$+^%addnumber%)$
          ^!Set %totalcount%=^%addnumber%
          ^!Goto LOOP
          ;
          :SHOWCOUNT
          ^!Info [L]Total Numbers Added = ^$Calc(^%count%-1)$^pTotal of Rows
          Added = ^%totalcount%

          ºvº
          06.05.10_14.08
          -Newspaper HeadLine...
          "Deaf College Opens Doors to Hearing"
          hrs ø hsavage@...
        • Pat
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11, 2006
            > > If you're still there and don't have a resolution yet here is a
            clip
            > > that works on the sample you sent.
            > >
            > > date tot id
            > > 05-08 54 mw
            > > 05-08 10 rn

            Sweet! Thank you. Both clips are exactly what we needed. they even
            ignore "----" or line spacers! I mean encountering a dashed field
            doesn't generate an error. wonderful. thank you.

            pat
            Message 5 of 10 , May 11, 2006
              Hi Harvey,

              Thanks, son. :) I'm glad you found the time to update the Clip.
              If you would like to make a tiny adjustment I'll replace the one
              you updated with what is in my NoteBlock with your modified
              credit of course. :) What I would like to see is a popup wizard
              to ask which field/column number to add up. I know you know how
              to do that, so I won't waste time explaining how to. Thanks bro!
              (There are plenty of examples on how to do it in the Library
              anyway for others to look at if they wish.) From NoteTab's
              PasteBack feature/Clip:

              You might be interested in trying out my Library called NoteBlock
              which works specifically with delimited files. You can sort by
              fields (column), delete fields, reorder fields, replace in
              fields, and more... As always, use on a test document first to
              ensure there are no bugs and you should have a backup. ;)

              http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
              http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
              Clipbar w/ buttons

              Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.

              Message 6 of 10 , May 11, 2006
                Pat wrote:
                >> > If you're still there and don't have a resolution yet here is a
                > clip
                >> > that works on the sample you sent.
                >> >
                >> > date tot id
                >> > 05-08 54 mw
                >> > 05-08 10 rn
                >

                > Sweet! Thank you. Both clips are exactly what we needed. they even
                > ignore "----" or line spacers! I mean encountering a dashed field
                > doesn't generate an error. wonderful. thank you.
                >
                > pat

                Pat,

                I hadn't tested it with line breaks or dashed dividers, I should
                probably test further.

                --
                ºvº
                06.05.11_16.53
                Message 7 of 10 , May 12, 2006
                  Jody wrote:
                  > Hi Harvey,
                  >
                  > Thanks, son. :) I'm glad you found the time to update the Clip.
                  > If you would like to make a tiny adjustment I'll replace the one
                  > you updated with what is in my NoteBlock with your modified
                  > credit of course. :) What I would like to see is a popup wizard
                  > to ask which field/column number to add up.
                  >
                  > http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
                  > http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
                  > Clipbar w/ buttons
                  >
                  > Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.
                  >
                  > Happy Clip'n!
                  > Jody

                  Jody,

                  Here are 2 example modified clips based on your "Add column Array for
                  More Than 40 Line Maximum".

                  The first clip is basically like yours, does any number of columns as
                  long as they're in a discrete file with nothing else in the file. I
                  fudged the index# by starting it at 'one', to compensate for a top row
                  of column names. Change it if you like and instruct the user to avoid
                  using column names with the clip.

                  The second clip calculates the columns in place without the need of an
                  external file. It operates only on the user selected rows and the user
                  should avoid including line breaks or other text based dividers to
                  separate rows.

                  The calculations that sets the index# number and bottomline number are
                  necessary so the prior selection can be made at any point in the file.

                  I added options to select different column delimiters and different
                  columns to calculate. I don't think there are any glaring errors in them.

                  More bells and whistles could be added but these are very serviceable.

                  <>·····Start First Clip·····<>
                  H="Sum Array Full-column"
                  ; noteblock.clb
                  ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
                  ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060510
                  ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_12:01:56p
                  ; will work best without any type of linebreaks or line separators
                  ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
                  ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
                  ^!SetArray %LineList%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetText$";0;0)$
                  ^!Set %Count%=^%LineList0%
                  ^!Set %index%=1; %AddNumber%=0
                  ;
                  ^!Info [L]Carefully consider these entries, be sure to count columns and
                  set delimiters correctly!^%nL%^%nL%It's best not to include line breaks
                  or dividers such as, "----", they throw the linecount off and if you
                  choose any column with a non-numeric entry the calculation will cause an
                  ERROR.^%nL%^%nL%This ^!Info [L] command can be commented out when you
                  choose.
                  ^!Set %delim%=^?{(H=6)Pick individual Row
                  delimiter==Colon^=^%colon%|Semi-Colon^=^%sc%|_Space^=^%space%|Tab^=^%tab%|vBar^=^%vbar%};
                  %col2tot%=^?{Enter column number to total=3}
                  ;
                  ^!SetDelimiter ^%delim%
                  :LOOP
                  ^!Inc %index%
                  ^!If ^%index% > ^%Count% SHOWCOUNT
                  ^!Set %AddNumber%=^$Calc(^$GetField(^%index%;^%col2tot%)$+^%AddNumber%)$
                  ^!Set %TotalCount%=^%AddNumber%
                  ^!Goto LOOP
                  ;
                  :SHOWCOUNT
                  ^!Info [L]Total number of lines = ^$Calc(^%Count%-2)$^pTotal number
                  count = ^%TotalCount%
                  <>·····End First Clip·····<>

                  <>····Start Second Clip····<>
                  H="Sum Array Partial-Column"
                  ; noteblock.clb
                  ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
                  ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060511
                  ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_07:14:19p
[...]
                  ^!Set %bottomline%=^$GetRowEnd$; %addnumber%=0
                  ;
                  ^!SetDelimiter ^%delim%
                  :LOOP
                  ^!Inc %index%
                  ^!If ^%index% = ^%bottomline% SHOWCOUNT
                  ^!Set %addnumber%=^$Calc(^$GetField(^%index%;^%col2tot%)$+^%addnumber%)$
                  ^!Set %totalcount%=^%addnumber%
                  ^!Goto LOOP
                  ;
                  :SHOWCOUNT
                  ^!Info [L]Total Numbers Added = ^$Calc(^%count%-1)$^pTotal of Rows
                  Added = ^%totalcount%
                  <>·····End Second Clip ·····<>

                  ºvº
                  06.05.12_18.17
                  "Driving a Car Safely; A Skill You 'CAN' Acquire."
                  hrs ø hsavage@...
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 15, 2006
                    Hi Harvey,

                    I'll add the Clips someday when we get done testing everything
                    that's going on right now with Fookes Software. I'll post a
                    message/reply when I upload the updated files.