add column array for more than 40 lines

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 10 , May 9, 2006
      the clip generates an error (stops as sum of 52) when i highlight the column "TOT" (space delimited data.) I can't see why? can you? data to play with below...

      H="Add column Array for More Than 40 Line Maximum"
      ; noteblock.clb
      ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
      ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

      ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
      ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
      ^!SetArray %LineList%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetText$";0;0)$
      ^!Set %Count%=^%LineList0%
      ^!Set %Index%=0; %AddNumber%=0

      :Loop
      ^!Inc %Index%
      ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% ShowCount
      ^!Set %AddNumber%=^$Calc(^%LineList^%Index%%+^%AddNumber%)$
      ^!Set %TotalCount%=^%AddNumber%
      ^!Goto Loop

      :ShowCount
      ^!info Total number of lines = ^%Count%^pTotal number count = ^%TotalCount%
      ;end

      date tot id
      05-08 54 mw
      05-08 10 rn
      05-08 19 sd
      05-07 04 ba
      05-07 20 br
      05-07 08 ja
      05-07 17 je
      05-07 19 ju
      05-07 27 mw
      05-07 20 rn
      05-07 36 sa
      05-07 28 vi
      05-06 20 el
      05-06 15 ja
      05-06 05 ki
      05-06 20 pa
      05-06 51 mw
      05-06 65 sa
      05-05 10 ba
      05-05 12 ja
      05-05 13 je
      05-05 29 mw
      05-04 10 ja
      05-04 20 je
      05-04 15 ki
      05-04 15 ma
      05-04 41 sd
      05-03 20 di
      05-03 17 gl
      05-03 14 ma
      05-03 20 sa
      05-03 14 sd
      05-02 15 bo
      05-02 04 ja
      05-02 15 ki
      05-02 20 ma
      05-02 24 sa
      05-02 02 zo
      05/01 20 bo
      05/01 20 dl
      05/01 03 do
      05/01 20 gl
      05/01 10 ja
      05/01 22 ju
      05/01 21 ka
      05/01 20 ki
      05/01 20 lo
      05/01 20 ma
      05/01 20 ro
      05/01 39 sd
      05/01 19 so
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2006
        Pat wrote:
        > the clip generates an error (stops as sum of 52) when i highlight the
        column "TOT" (space delimited data.) I can't see why? can you? data to
        play with below...

        > H="Add column Array for More Than 40 Line Maximum"
        > ; noteblock.clb
        > ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
        > ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us
        >
        > ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
        > ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
        > ^!SetArray %LineList%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetText$";0;0)$
        > ^!Set %Count%=^%LineList0%
        > ^!Set %Index%=0; %AddNumber%=0
        >
        > :Loop
        > ^!Inc %Index%
        > ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% ShowCount
        > ^!Set %AddNumber%=^$Calc(^%LineList^%Index%%+^%AddNumber%)$
        > ^!Set %TotalCount%=^%AddNumber%
        > ^!Goto Loop
        >
        > :ShowCount
        > ^!info Total number of lines = ^%Count%^pTotal number count =
        ^%TotalCount%
        > ;end
        >
        > date tot id
        > 05-08 54 mw
        > 05-08 10 rn
        > 05-08 19 sd
        > 05-07 04 ba
        > 05-07 20 br

        Pat,

        The clip as written won't run on the example array you've provided. The
        clip IS written to run on a single column of numbers set to an array, as
        below with no column name header.

        54
        10
        19
        04
        20

        The clip can be modified to run on the sample you provided, as below
        with no column name header, but a lot depends on how much the total
        column may change, number of digits in each total number, etc..

        In both examples you could retain the header name but adjustments to the
        clip commands would need be made.

        05-08 54 mw
        05-08 10 rn
        05-08 19 sd
        05-07 04 ba
        05-07 20 br

        ºvº
        06.05.09_11.43
        "Cooking II; Bran and Tofu are Not For Human Consumption."
        hrs ø hsavage@...
        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2006
          Hi hsavage and Pat,

          From what I can tell, Harvey is correct. Yes, I know I wrote it,
          but don't have time more time than just glance at it. You would
          need to add a function to ^$GetField(Row;Col)$ but I don't have
          the time right now. You can easily use the feature to Modify |
          Block | Copy and Paste New then run the Clip to get the total. If
          this is something you do all the time, then maybe somebody will
          update it for you or I might find time sometime before 2007. ;)

          Go to Modify | Block and highlight Copy, then press F1 and read
          Help about the feature.

          >>> the clip generates an error (stops as sum of 52) when i
          >>> highlight the column "TOT" (space delimited data.) I can't see
          >>> why? can you? data to play with below...
          > >

          > > H="Add column Array for More Than 40 Line Maximum"
          > > ; noteblock.clb
          > > ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
          > > ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us
          > >
          > > ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
          > > ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
          > > ^!SetArray %LineList%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetText$";0;0)$
          > > ^!Set %Count%=^%LineList0%
          > > ^!Set %Index%=0; %AddNumber%=0
          > >
          > > :Loop
          > > ^!Inc %Index%
          > > ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% ShowCount
          > > ^!Set %AddNumber%=^$Calc(^%LineList^%Index%%+^%AddNumber%)$
          > > ^!Set %TotalCount%=^%AddNumber%
          > > ^!Goto Loop
          > >
          > > :ShowCount
          > > ^!info Total number of lines = ^%Count%^pTotal number count =
          >^%TotalCount%
          > > ;end
          > >
          > > date tot id
          > > 05-08 54 mw
          > > 05-08 10 rn
          > > 05-08 19 sd
          > > 05-07 04 ba
          > > 05-07 20 br
          >
          >Pat,
          >
          >The clip as written won't run on the example array you've provided. The
          >clip IS written to run on a single column of numbers set to an array, as
          >below with no column name header.
          >
          >54
          >10
          >19
          >04
          >20
          >
          >The clip can be modified to run on the sample you provided, as below
          >with no column name header, but a lot depends on how much the total
          >column may change, number of digits in each total number, etc..
          >
          >In both examples you could retain the header name but adjustments to the
          >clip commands would need be made.
          >
          >05-08 54 mw
          >05-08 10 rn
          >05-08 19 sd
          >05-07 04 ba
          >05-07 20 br
          >
          > ºvº
          > 06.05.09_11.43
          > "Cooking II; Bran and Tofu are Not For Human Consumption."
          > hrs ø hsavage@...

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Convert your eMail programs... Aid4Mail: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

          Freeware and Shareware; some seamleesly integrates with NoteTab:
          http://www.sojourner.us/software

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 10 , May 10, 2006
            Jody wrote:
            > Hi hsavage and Pat,
            >
            > From what I can tell, Harvey is correct. Yes, I know I wrote it,
            > but don't have time more time than just glance at it. You would
            > need to add a function to ^$GetField(Row;Col)$ but I don't have
            > the time right now. You can easily use the feature to Modify |
            > Block | Copy and Paste New then run the Clip to get the total. If
            > this is something you do all the time, then maybe somebody will
            > update it for you or I might find time sometime before 2007. ;)
            >
            > Go to Modify | Block and highlight Copy, then press F1 and read
            > Help about the feature.
            >
            > Jody

            Pat,

            If you're still there and don't have a resolution yet here is a clip
            that works on the sample you sent.

            date tot id
            05-08 54 mw
            05-08 10 rn
            05-08 19 sd
            05-07 04 ba

            In the final ^!Info [L] box the count is reduced by 2 to compensate for
            the header line and also the last blank line at the bottom of the number
            list.

            The list must be formatted exactly like the example you sent originally
            and there can't be anything other than the list of numbers in the file.

            H="Add Array-column #3"
            ; noteblock.clb
            ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
            ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060510
            ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_12:01:56p
            ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
            ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
            ^!SetArray %LineList%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetText$";0;0)$
            ^!Set %Count%=^%LineList0%
            ^!Set %index%=1; %AddNumber%=0
            ^!SetDelimiter ^%space%
            :LOOP
            ^!Inc %index%
            ^!If ^%index% > ^%Count% SHOWCOUNT
            ^!Set %AddNumber%=^$Calc(^$GetField(^%index%;3)$+^%AddNumber%)$
            ^!Set %TotalCount%=^%AddNumber%
            ^!Goto LOOP
            ;
            :SHOWCOUNT
            ^!Info [L]Total number of lines = ^$Calc(^%Count%-2)$^pTotal number
            count = ^%TotalCount%

            The last line is long enough that it may get wrapped in email, carefully
            check, line starts with ^!Info [L] and ends with ^%TotalCount%.

            --
            ºvº
            06.05.10_12.01
            Message 5 of 10 , May 10, 2006
              hsavage wrote:
              > Jody wrote:
              > > Hi hsavage and Pat,
              > >
              > > From what I can tell, Harvey is correct. Yes, I know I wrote it,
              > >
              > > Jody
              >
              > Pat,
              >
              > If you're still there and don't have a resolution yet here is a clip
              > that works on the sample you sent.
              >
              > date tot id
              > 05-08 54 mw
              > 05-08 10 rn
              > 05-08 19 sd
              > 05-07 04 ba
              >
              > The list must be formatted exactly like the example you sent originally
              > and there can't be anything other than the list of numbers in the file.
              >
              > :SHOWCOUNT
              > ^!Info [L]Total number of lines = ^$Calc(^%Count%-2)$^pTotal number
              > count = ^%TotalCount%
              >
              > The last line is long enough that it may get wrapped in email, carefully
              > check, line starts with ^!Info [L] and ends with ^%TotalCount%.

              Pat,

              Yet another clip. This one will add only the rows you select. You must
              select at least 2 full rows, the cursor at the end of selection must be
              in the left margin after the end of the selection.

              With this clip only the selected rows will be added, no need to cut and
              paste a portion from a larger file to a new file.

              H="Add Selected Array-Row/Columns"
              ; noteblock.clb
              ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
              ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060510
              ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_01:45:17p
              ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
              ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ < 28 NEXT ELSE SKIP_3
              ^!StatusShow Minimum of 2 Full rows must be SELECTED!
              ^!Delay 40
              ^!Goto END
              ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
              ^!SetArray %linelist%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetSelection$";0;0)$
              ^!Set %count%=^%linelist0%; %index%=^$Calc(^$GetRowStart$-1)$
              ^!Set %bL%=^$GetRowEnd$; %addnumber%=0
              ^!SetDelimiter ^%space%
              ;
              :LOOP
              ^!Inc %index%
              ^!If ^%index% = ^%bL% SHOWCOUNT
              ^!Set %addnumber%=^$Calc(^$GetField(^%index%;3)$+^%addnumber%)$
              ^!Set %totalcount%=^%addnumber%
              ^!Goto LOOP
              ;
              :SHOWCOUNT
              ^!Info [L]Total Numbers Added = ^$Calc(^%count%-1)$^pTotal of Rows
              Added = ^%totalcount%

              ºvº
              06.05.10_14.08
              Message 6 of 10 , May 11, 2006
                > > If you're still there and don't have a resolution yet here is a
                clip
                > > that works on the sample you sent.
                > >
                > > date tot id
                > > 05-08 54 mw
                > > 05-08 10 rn

                Sweet! Thank you. Both clips are exactly what we needed. they even
                ignore "----" or line spacers! I mean encountering a dashed field
                doesn't generate an error. wonderful. thank you.

                pat
                Message 7 of 10 , May 11, 2006
                  Hi Harvey,

                  Thanks, son. :) I'm glad you found the time to update the Clip.
                  If you would like to make a tiny adjustment I'll replace the one
                  you updated with what is in my NoteBlock with your modified
                  credit of course. :) What I would like to see is a popup wizard
                  to ask which field/column number to add up. I know you know how
                  to do that, so I won't waste time explaining how to. Thanks bro!
                  (There are plenty of examples on how to do it in the Library
                  anyway for others to look at if they wish.) From NoteTab's
                  PasteBack feature/Clip:

                  You might be interested in trying out my Library called NoteBlock
                  which works specifically with delimited files. You can sort by
                  fields (column), delete fields, reorder fields, replace in
                  fields, and more... As always, use on a test document first to
                  ensure there are no bugs and you should have a backup. ;)

                  http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
                  http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
                  Clipbar w/ buttons

                  Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 11, 2006
                    Pat wrote:
                    >> > If you're still there and don't have a resolution yet here is a
                    > clip
                    >> > that works on the sample you sent.
                    >> >
                    >> > date tot id
                    >> > 05-08 54 mw
                    >> > 05-08 10 rn
                    >

                    > Sweet! Thank you. Both clips are exactly what we needed. they even
                    > ignore "----" or line spacers! I mean encountering a dashed field
                    > doesn't generate an error. wonderful. thank you.
                    >
                    > pat

                    Pat,

                    I hadn't tested it with line breaks or dashed dividers, I should
                    probably test further.

                    --
                    ºvº
                    06.05.11_16.53
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 12, 2006
                      Jody wrote:
                      > Hi Harvey,
                      >
                      > Thanks, son. :) I'm glad you found the time to update the Clip.
                      > If you would like to make a tiny adjustment I'll replace the one
                      > you updated with what is in my NoteBlock with your modified
                      > credit of course. :) What I would like to see is a popup wizard
                      > to ask which field/column number to add up.
                      >
                      > http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
                      > http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
                      > Clipbar w/ buttons
                      >
                      > Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.
                      >
                      > Happy Clip'n!
                      > Jody

                      Jody,

                      Here are 2 example modified clips based on your "Add column Array for
                      More Than 40 Line Maximum".

                      The first clip is basically like yours, does any number of columns as
                      long as they're in a discrete file with nothing else in the file. I
                      fudged the index# by starting it at 'one', to compensate for a top row
                      of column names. Change it if you like and instruct the user to avoid
                      using column names with the clip.

                      The second clip calculates the columns in place without the need of an
                      external file. It operates only on the user selected rows and the user
                      should avoid including line breaks or other text based dividers to
                      separate rows.

                      The calculations that sets the index# number and bottomline number are
                      necessary so the prior selection can be made at any point in the file.

                      I added options to select different column delimiters and different
                      columns to calculate. I don't think there are any glaring errors in them.

                      More bells and whistles could be added but these are very serviceable.

                      <>·····Start First Clip·····<>
                      H="Sum Array Full-column"
                      ; noteblock.clb
                      ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
                      ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060510
                      ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_12:01:56p
                      ; will work best without any type of linebreaks or line separators
                      ^!ClearVariable %TotalCount%
                      ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
                      ^!SetArray %LineList%=^$StrReplace("$";"";"^$GetText$";0;0)$
                      ^!Set %Count%=^%LineList0%
                      ^!Set %index%=1; %AddNumber%=0
                      ;
                      ^!Info [L]Carefully consider these entries, be sure to count columns and
                      set delimiters correctly!^%nL%^%nL%It's best not to include line breaks
                      or dividers such as, "----", they throw the linecount off and if you
                      choose any column with a non-numeric entry the calculation will cause an
                      ERROR.^%nL%^%nL%This ^!Info [L] command can be commented out when you
                      choose.
                      ^!Set %delim%=^?{(H=6)Pick individual Row
                      delimiter==Colon^=^%colon%|Semi-Colon^=^%sc%|_Space^=^%space%|Tab^=^%tab%|vBar^=^%vbar%};
                      %col2tot%=^?{Enter column number to total=3}
                      ;
                      ^!SetDelimiter ^%delim%
                      :LOOP
                      ^!Inc %index%
                      ^!If ^%index% > ^%Count% SHOWCOUNT
                      ^!Set %AddNumber%=^$Calc(^$GetField(^%index%;^%col2tot%)$+^%AddNumber%)$
                      ^!Set %TotalCount%=^%AddNumber%
                      ^!Goto LOOP
                      ;
                      :SHOWCOUNT
                      ^!Info [L]Total number of lines = ^$Calc(^%Count%-2)$^pTotal number
                      count = ^%TotalCount%
                      <>·····End First Clip·····<>

                      <>····Start Second Clip····<>
                      H="Sum Array Partial-Column"
                      ; noteblock.clb
                      ; Last updated on 11-30-2004 by Jody Adair <Jody@...>
                      ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060511
                      ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_07:14:19p
[...]
                      ^!Set %bottomline%=^$GetRowEnd$; %addnumber%=0
                      ;
                      ^!SetDelimiter ^%delim%
                      :LOOP
                      ^!Inc %index%
                      ^!If ^%index% = ^%bottomline% SHOWCOUNT
                      ^!Set %addnumber%=^$Calc(^$GetField(^%index%;^%col2tot%)$+^%addnumber%)$
                      ^!Set %totalcount%=^%addnumber%
                      ^!Goto LOOP
                      ;
                      :SHOWCOUNT
                      ^!Info [L]Total Numbers Added = ^$Calc(^%count%-1)$^pTotal of Rows
                      Added = ^%totalcount%
                      <>·····End Second Clip ·····<>

                      ºvº
                      06.05.12_18.17
                      "Driving a Car Safely; A Skill You 'CAN' Acquire."
                      hrs ø hsavage@...
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 15, 2006
                        Hi Harvey,

                        I'll add the Clips someday when we get done testing everything
                        that's going on right now with Fookes Software. I'll post a
                        message/reply when I upload the updated files.