Re: Clip or Script to strip headings from a file

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 7:32 AM
      Hi Jim,

      Working with variables, your variable names will be surrounded with
      percent signs. To get the value stored by a variable, prefix the
      variable name with a caret.

      Prompting in clips is done with clip wizards. They follow a set format
      (need to refer to the help file for clips).

      Hopefully the following example shows some basics you can use. You could
      put in more edits on the date values, but I shouldn't think you would
      need them assuming you'll be using the clip yourself.

      Let me know if you have any questions, there are a few comments in the
      clip.

      H="DateWiz"
      ^!Set %repdate%="^$GetDate(mm/dd/yyyy)$"
      :StartWiz
      ^!Set %repdate%="^?{(M="00/00/0000";x;0) Please enter date in mm/dd/yyyy
      format=^%repdate%}"
      ^!Set %mo%="^$StrCopyLeft("^%repdate%";2)$"
      ^!Set %day%=^$StrCopy("^%repdate%";4;2)$
      ^!Set %year%=^$StrCopyRight("^%repdate%";4)$
      ^!Set %yr%=^$StrCopyRight("^%repdate%";2)$
      ;Following variable if you need to use a 2-digit year
      ^!Set %usedt%="^%mo%/^%day%/^%yr%"
      ^!IfInRange ^%mo% 1..12 Next ELSE BadDate
      ^!IfInRange ^%day% 1..31 Next ELSE BadDate
      ;the following commands are available but IfInDateRange
      ;gives a syntax error if testdt has bad combo of month and day
      ;^!Set %testdt%="^%year%/^%mo%/^%day%"
      ;^!IfInDateRange ^%testdt% 1999/01/01..2006/12/31 Next ELSE BadRange
      ^!Info Acceptable Date ^%repdate%
      ^!Goto KillVars
      :BadDate
      ^!Info Bad Month: "^%mo%" or Bad Day: "^%day%"
      ^!Goto StartWiz
      :BadRange
      ^!Info Not in Range 01/01/1999..12/31/2006: ^%repdate%
      ^!Goto StartWiz
      :KillVars
      ;not required but unless cleared variable sometimes cause
      ;unexpected results and take up memory
      ^!ClearVariable %repdate%
      ^!ClearVariable %mo%
      ^!ClearVariable %day%
      ^!ClearVariable %year%
      ^!ClearVariable %yr%
      ^!ClearVariable %usedt%
      ;end of clip

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "essinger2001" <Dilbernator@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Sheri,
      >
      > Thanks for the sample code. It works great - I have adapted it to
      > change all spaces to a single space, Strip the ending blanks, and
      > replace remaining spaces with commas. What I get is a report that
      > should be spreadsheet (can't get them to send in the needed format,
      > just the report), and I am getting it to a CSV file to import it to a
      > spreadsheet. I would like to prompt for the replacement value as the
      > form of the date is mm/dd/yy, and changes with each sending of the
      > report. I am not understanding the prompting for variables at run
      > time. Any help?
      >
      > Thanks again!
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" silvermoonwoman@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Jim,
      > >
      > > Here's something to help get you started. The !Setdebug helps you
      see
      > > what your clip is doing (until it does what you need). As is, this
      clip
      > > will find "2006", select 7 lines including the one the 2006 is on,
      and
      > > delete those lines. You can copy the following lines to the
      clipboard,
      > > and then add them as a new clip to your clip library by right
      clicking
      > > in your clip panel and selecting "Add from Clipboard."
      > >
      > > Another possible approach would be to do the task using a regular
      > > expression to replace matching lines (with empty text) either using
      the
      > > Search and Replace dialog or a clip with a single ^!Replace command.
      > >
      > > Aside from the ^!Setdebug command, it is useful to know that
      comments
      > > start with a semicolon, and to stop a runaway clip you press
      Ctrl+Alt.

      > > Have fun,
      > > Sheri
      > >
      > > H="userdelheads"
      > > ^!Setdebug on
      > > :LoopStart
      > > ^!Find "2006" TS
      > > ^!Iferror End
      > > ^!Jump Select_Start
      > > ^!Select 7
      > > ;Next command picks up carriage return/line feed on the last line
      > > ^!Select +2
      > > ^!Menu Edit/Cut
      > > ^!Goto LoopStart
      > > :EndLoop
      > > ;end of clip

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 7:47 AM
        Jim, Be careful when you copy and paste a clip. Each command needs to
        be on one line. Word wrapping can cause lines to wrap on Yahoo (think
        this happened on my latest example). In general, every line in a clip
        begins with a caret or a semicolon (otherwise it is text that gets
        entered into the current document).

        Sheri
      • essinger2001
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1 9:42 PM
          Thanks again Sheri.

          You have been a great help! Also thanks for the reminder about the
          message wrapping the clip lines. I might have stumbled over that one.
          I have been able to do all that I wanted and more in my clip. I hope
          I can find more uses for the clip programming to force me to learn more.

          Jim

          > Hi Jim,
          >
          > Working with variables, your variable names will be surrounded with
          > percent signs. To get the value stored by a variable, prefix the
          > variable name with a caret.
          >
          > Prompting in clips is done with clip wizards. They follow a set format
          > (need to refer to the help file for clips).
          >
          > Hopefully the following example shows some basics you can use. You could
          > put in more edits on the date values, but I shouldn't think you would
          > need them assuming you'll be using the clip yourself.
          >
          > Let me know if you have any questions, there are a few comments in the
          > clip.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2 11:53 AM
            Glad I could help. I'm sure you'll find many uses, clips are real
            timesavers even if they do take a bit of working out in the beginning.
            I would recommend experimenting with my clipcode syntax package. I had
            gotten a bit rusty writing clips myself, but with the clipcode syntax
            clip I was able to get right back into it.

            Take care,
            Sheri