Re: [Clip] Help file

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
      junja wrote:
      > hsavage wrote:
      >>>
      >>> John,
      >>
      >> In the previous response I neglected to address the 'empty ""
      >> parameter'.
      >>
      >> ^%EMPTY% = empty string
      >>
      >> ºvº
      >
      > Okay, but it would be nice if the example in the doc was
      > definitive.
      > Does ntb accept "" for an empty parameter?
      > junja

      John,

      Yes, "" will suffice for ^%empty% in most cases I can think of if an
      empty parameter is required.

      To trim blanks in a document without setting the menu option one could
      use a clip, as below. Added to a Personal Clipbar this clip, as is,
      trims the whole document but could be modified to trim a preselected
      portion.

      <>·······Start Clip·······<>
      H="Bla-Trim-nks"
      ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060410
      ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_08:45:33a
      ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
      ^!Set %view%=^$GetRowTop$
      ^!Set %rowcol%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
      ^!Select ALL
      ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
      ^!SetView ^%view%:1
      ^!Select 0
      ^!SetCursor ^%rowcol%
      <>········End Clip········<>

      ºvº
      06.04.10_07.31
      "Cooking III; How Not to Inflict Your Diets on Other People."
      hrs ø hsavage@...
    • abairheart
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, junja <junja@...> wrote:

        > Which is fine if that's what you want systematically - but I
        > want it only for clip programming. I didn't want to say
        > this out loud but these two points are, it seems to me,
        > weaknesses which can trip up the innocent. One in the doc,
        > the other in the program.

        Actually, NoteTab's help is way better than most other software. Give
        the problems with NoteTab help, what does that say about other
        software?!

        The way to deal with ambiguities is to try them out several ways.

        Try for example:

        ^!SaveValue test="data"
        ^!Info ^$GetValue(test)$

        and

        ^!Set %test%="data"
        ^!Info ^%test%

        The above should illustrate one of the problems with NoteTab's quote
        handling.

        Passing an empty argument to a command can be done with or without
        quotes.

        If you are looking for ways to test for an empty argument, and run
        into the "^&" interpretation problem, then consider passing a dummy
        variable to the subroutine, which you test for and discard if found.

        Abair
      • junja
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 12, 2006
          thanks hrs

          hsavage wrote:
          > junja wrote:

          > >> In the previous response I neglected to address the 'empty ""
          > >> parameter'.
          > >>
          > >> ^%EMPTY% = empty string
          > >>
          > >> ºvº
          > >
          > > Okay, but it would be nice if the example in the doc was
          > > definitive.
          > > Does ntb accept "" for an empty parameter?
          > > junja
          >
          > John,
          >
          > Yes, "" will suffice for ^%empty% in most cases I can think of if an
          > empty parameter is required.
          >
          > To trim blanks in a document without setting the menu option one could
          > use a clip, as below. Added to a Personal Clipbar this clip, as is,
          > trims the whole document but could be modified to trim a preselected
          > portion.
          >
          > <>·······Start Clip·······<>
          > H="Bla-Trim-nks"
          > ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060410
          > ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_08:45:33a
          > ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
          > ^!Set %view%=^$GetRowTop$
          > ^!Set %rowcol%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
          > ^!Select ALL
          > ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
          > ^!SetView ^%view%:1
          > ^!Select 0
          > ^!SetCursor ^%rowcol%
          >
          > ºvº
          > 06.04.10_07.31
          > "Cooking III; How Not to Inflict Your Diets on Other People."
          > hrs ø hsavage@...

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • junja
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 12, 2006