Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [Clip] Help file

Expand Messages
  • junja
    ... Okay, but it would be nice if the example in the doc was definitive. Does ntb accept for an empty parameter? junja
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
      hsavage wrote:
      > hsavage wrote:
      > > junja wrote:
      > >> If I've understood right, the syntaxes for passing:
      > >> - an empty parameter (to a command) is ""
      > >> - optional parameters (in the help file) is []
      > >
      > > John,
      > >
      > > A slight misinterpretation, the square-brackets in help file examples
      > > indicate only that an additional parameter is optional, they do not
      > > become part of the working command line.
      >
      > John,
      >
      > In the previous response I neglected to address the 'empty ""
      > parameter'. There are several 'predefined variables for use in clips,
      > in the above case ^%empty% would be the predefined variable. Full list
      > from 'Help' below.
      >
      > ^%AR_KEY% = Auto-replace activation key (added in v4.6)
      > ^%AR_WORD% = Auto-replace text (added in v4.9)
      > ^%CARET% = caret (^) (added in v4.6)
      > ^%COLON% = colon (:)
      > ^%EMPTY% = empty string
      > ^%NL% = new line (CR/LF pair)
      > ^%PAGE% = Page break
      > ^%RESULT%= Used to assign result to custom functions (added in v4.8)
      > ^%SC% = semicolon (;)
      > ^%SPACE% = Blank space character
      > ^%TAB% = Tab character
      > ^%VBAR% = vertical bar (|) (added in v4.6)
      >
      > These, at times, tend to be less confusing than other entries when
      > reading thru a clip trying to follow the logic.
      >
      > ºvº

      Okay, but it would be nice if the example in the doc was
      definitive.
      Does ntb accept "" for an empty parameter?
      junja
    • hsavage
      ... John, Yes, will suffice for ^%empty% in most cases I can think of if an empty parameter is required. To trim blanks in a document without setting the
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
        junja wrote:
        > hsavage wrote:
        >>> junja wrote:
        >>>> If I've understood right, the syntaxes for passing:
        >>>> - an empty parameter (to a command) is ""
        >>>> - optional parameters (in the help file) is []
        >>>
        >>> John,
        >>
        >> In the previous response I neglected to address the 'empty ""
        >> parameter'.
        >>
        >> ^%EMPTY% = empty string
        >>
        >> ºvº
        >
        > Okay, but it would be nice if the example in the doc was
        > definitive.
        > Does ntb accept "" for an empty parameter?
        > junja

        John,

        Yes, "" will suffice for ^%empty% in most cases I can think of if an
        empty parameter is required.

        To trim blanks in a document without setting the menu option one could
        use a clip, as below. Added to a Personal Clipbar this clip, as is,
        trims the whole document but could be modified to trim a preselected
        portion.

        <>·······Start Clip·······<>
        H="Bla-Trim-nks"
        ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060410
        ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_08:45:33a
        ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
        ^!Set %view%=^$GetRowTop$
        ^!Set %rowcol%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
        ^!Select ALL
        ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
        ^!SetView ^%view%:1
        ^!Select 0
        ^!SetCursor ^%rowcol%
        <>········End Clip········<>

        ºvº
        06.04.10_07.31
        "Cooking III; How Not to Inflict Your Diets on Other People."
        hrs ø hsavage@...
      • abairheart
        ... Actually, NoteTab s help is way better than most other software. Give the problems with NoteTab help, what does that say about other software?! The way to
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, junja <junja@...> wrote:
          >
          >
          > Which is fine if that's what you want systematically - but I
          > want it only for clip programming. I didn't want to say
          > this out loud but these two points are, it seems to me,
          > weaknesses which can trip up the innocent. One in the doc,
          > the other in the program.

          Actually, NoteTab's help is way better than most other software. Give
          the problems with NoteTab help, what does that say about other
          software?!

          The way to deal with ambiguities is to try them out several ways.

          Try for example:

          ^!SaveValue test="data"
          ^!Info ^$GetValue(test)$

          and

          ^!Set %test%="data"
          ^!Info ^%test%

          The above should illustrate one of the problems with NoteTab's quote
          handling.

          Passing an empty argument to a command can be done with or without
          quotes.

          If you are looking for ways to test for an empty argument, and run
          into the "^&" interpretation problem, then consider passing a dummy
          variable to the subroutine, which you test for and discard if found.


          Abair
        • junja
          thanks hrs
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 12, 2006
            thanks hrs

            hsavage wrote:
            > junja wrote:
            > > hsavage wrote:
            > >>> junja wrote:
            > >>>> If I've understood right, the syntaxes for passing:
            > >>>> - an empty parameter (to a command) is ""
            > >>>> - optional parameters (in the help file) is []
            > >>>
            > >>> John,
            > >>
            > >> In the previous response I neglected to address the 'empty ""
            > >> parameter'.
            > >>
            > >> ^%EMPTY% = empty string
            > >>
            > >> ºvº
            > >
            > > Okay, but it would be nice if the example in the doc was
            > > definitive.
            > > Does ntb accept "" for an empty parameter?
            > > junja
            >
            > John,
            >
            > Yes, "" will suffice for ^%empty% in most cases I can think of if an
            > empty parameter is required.
            >
            > To trim blanks in a document without setting the menu option one could
            > use a clip, as below. Added to a Personal Clipbar this clip, as is,
            > trims the whole document but could be modified to trim a preselected
            > portion.
            >
            > <>·······Start Clip·······<>
            > H="Bla-Trim-nks"
            > ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060410
            > ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_08:45:33a
            > ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
            > ^!Set %view%=^$GetRowTop$
            > ^!Set %rowcol%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
            > ^!Select ALL
            > ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
            > ^!SetView ^%view%:1
            > ^!Select 0
            > ^!SetCursor ^%rowcol%
            > <>········End Clip········<>
            >
            > ºvº
            > 06.04.10_07.31
            > "Cooking III; How Not to Inflict Your Diets on Other People."
            > hrs ø hsavage@...
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.us, http://www.fookes.com
            > Fookes Software Mailing Lists: http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
          • junja
            Thanks Abair
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 12, 2006
              Thanks Abair


              abairheart wrote:
              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, junja <junja@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Which is fine if that's what you want systematically - but I
              >> want it only for clip programming. I didn't want to say
              >> this out loud but these two points are, it seems to me,
              >> weaknesses which can trip up the innocent. One in the doc,
              >> the other in the program.
              >
              > Actually, NoteTab's help is way better than most other software. Give
              > the problems with NoteTab help, what does that say about other
              > software?!
              >
              > The way to deal with ambiguities is to try them out several ways.
              >
              > Try for example:
              >
              > ^!SaveValue test="data"
              > ^!Info ^$GetValue(test)$
              >
              > and
              >
              > ^!Set %test%="data"
              > ^!Info ^%test%
              >
              > The above should illustrate one of the problems with NoteTab's quote
              > handling.
              >
              > Passing an empty argument to a command can be done with or without
              > quotes.
              >
              > If you are looking for ways to test for an empty argument, and run
              > into the "^&" interpretation problem, then consider passing a dummy
              > variable to the subroutine, which you test for and discard if found.
              >
              >
              > Abair
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.us, http://www.fookes.com
              > Fookes Software Mailing Lists: http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.