Re: [Clip] Help file

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2006
      hsavage wrote:
      > junja wrote:
      >> If I've understood right, the syntaxes for passing:
      >> - an empty parameter (to a command) is ""
      >> - optional parameters (in the help file) is []
      >
      > John,
      >
      > A slight misinterpretation, the square-brackets in help file examples
      > indicate only that an additional parameter is optional, they do not
      > become part of the working command line.

      John,

      In the previous response I neglected to address the 'empty ""
      parameter'. There are several 'predefined variables for use in clips,
      in the above case ^%empty% would be the predefined variable. Full list
      from 'Help' below.

      ^%AR_KEY% = Auto-replace activation key (added in v4.6)
      ^%AR_WORD% = Auto-replace text (added in v4.9)
      ^%CARET% = caret (^) (added in v4.6)
      ^%COLON% = colon (:)
      ^%EMPTY% = empty string
      ^%NL% = new line (CR/LF pair)
      ^%PAGE% = Page break
      ^%RESULT%= Used to assign result to custom functions (added in v4.8)
      ^%SC% = semicolon (;)
      ^%SPACE% = Blank space character
      ^%TAB% = Tab character
      ^%VBAR% = vertical bar (|) (added in v4.6)

      These, at times, tend to be less confusing than other entries when
      reading thru a clip trying to follow the logic.

      ºvº
      06.04.08_06.54
      "Communication Skills II; Thinking Before Speaking."
      hrs ø hsavage@...
    • junja
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
        Hi hrs
        You've much more experience than I have in clip programming
        but there's a point of logic here.

        hsavage wrote:
        > junja wrote:
        > > If I've understood right, the syntaxes for passing:
        > > - an empty parameter (to a command) is ""
        > > - optional parameters (in the help file) is []
        >
        > > That being the case, it seems to me that the ^!MakeShortcut
        > > example line in the help file might be not
        >
        > > ^!MakeShortcut ShortcutLocation "Target" ["Arguments"]
        > > ["Description"] [CmdShow]
        >
        > > but
        > > ^!MakeShortcut ShortcutLocation "Target" "[Arguments]"
        > > "[Description]" [CmdShow]
        >
        > > And a tip: some of the help file example lines have
        > > spaces at the end - so be careful when copying them into
        > > clips. It took me a long time to figure out why a clip
        > > wasn't working ..
        > > John
        >
        > John,
        >
        > A slight misinterpretation, the square-brackets in help file examples
        > indicate only that an additional parameter is optional, they do not
        > become part of the working command line.
        >
        > This is the correct display model, ["Arguments"], not, "[Arguments]",
        > since the brackets are not included in the final command.

        The point is, how do you pass an empty parameter? The
        ["Arguments"]
        model leaves nothing there to signify an empty parameter
        while the
        "[Arguments]"
        one leaves the "" to do so.
        [I was assuming the usage of square brackets for showing
        optional parameters.]

        > The quotes
        > are not necessarily required either, but may be acceptable in all cases.
        >
        > Also, to minimize problems with 'extra spaces', referred to in 'Options'
        > as 'Whitespace', goto - View > Options > Documents, place a check mark
        > at 'Trim White Spaces'.
        >
        > If this is checked, in most cases, it automatically eliminates extra
        > spaces at the ends of lines when files are saved, especially if reloaded
        > after being saved.

        Which is fine if that's what you want systematically - but I
        want it only for clip programming. I didn't want to say
        this out loud but these two points are, it seems to me,
        weaknesses which can trip up the innocent. One in the doc,
        the other in the program. But then Ntb has enough strengths
        that I can pardon a basketful of weaknesses .. which is not
        to say stay silent about them.
        junja
      • junja
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
          hsavage wrote:
          > hsavage wrote:
          > > junja wrote:
          > >> If I've understood right, the syntaxes for passing:
          > >> - an empty parameter (to a command) is ""
          > >> - optional parameters (in the help file) is []
          > >
          > > John,
          > >
          > > A slight misinterpretation, the square-brackets in help file examples
          > > indicate only that an additional parameter is optional, they do not
          > > become part of the working command line.
          >
          > John,
          >
          > In the previous response I neglected to address the 'empty ""
          > parameter'. There are several 'predefined variables for use in clips,
          > in the above case ^%empty% would be the predefined variable. Full list
          > from 'Help' below.
          >
          > ^%AR_KEY% = Auto-replace activation key (added in v4.6)
          > ^%AR_WORD% = Auto-replace text (added in v4.9)
          > ^%CARET% = caret (^) (added in v4.6)
          > ^%COLON% = colon (:)
          > ^%EMPTY% = empty string
          > ^%NL% = new line (CR/LF pair)
          > ^%PAGE% = Page break
          > ^%RESULT%= Used to assign result to custom functions (added in v4.8)
          > ^%SC% = semicolon (;)
          > ^%SPACE% = Blank space character
          > ^%TAB% = Tab character
          > ^%VBAR% = vertical bar (|) (added in v4.6)
          >
          > These, at times, tend to be less confusing than other entries when
          > reading thru a clip trying to follow the logic.
          >
          > ºvº

          Okay, but it would be nice if the example in the doc was
          definitive.
          Does ntb accept "" for an empty parameter?
          junja
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
            junja wrote:
            > hsavage wrote:
            >>>
            >>> John,
            >>
            >> In the previous response I neglected to address the 'empty ""
            >> parameter'.
            >>
            >> ^%EMPTY% = empty string
            >>
            >> ºvº
            >
            > Okay, but it would be nice if the example in the doc was
            > definitive.
            > Does ntb accept "" for an empty parameter?
            > junja

            John,

            Yes, "" will suffice for ^%empty% in most cases I can think of if an
            empty parameter is required.

            To trim blanks in a document without setting the menu option one could
            use a clip, as below. Added to a Personal Clipbar this clip, as is,
            trims the whole document but could be modified to trim a preselected
            portion.

            <>·······Start Clip·······<>
            H="Bla-Trim-nks"
            ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060410
            ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_08:45:33a
            ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
            ^!Set %view%=^$GetRowTop$
            ^!Set %rowcol%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
            ^!Select ALL
            ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
            ^!SetView ^%view%:1
            ^!Select 0
            ^!SetCursor ^%rowcol%
            <>········End Clip········<>

            ºvº
            06.04.10_07.31
            "Cooking III; How Not to Inflict Your Diets on Other People."
            hrs ø hsavage@...
          • abairheart
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 10, 2006
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, junja <junja@...> wrote:

              > Which is fine if that's what you want systematically - but I
              > want it only for clip programming. I didn't want to say
              > this out loud but these two points are, it seems to me,
              > weaknesses which can trip up the innocent. One in the doc,
              > the other in the program.

              Actually, NoteTab's help is way better than most other software. Give
              the problems with NoteTab help, what does that say about other
              software?!

              The way to deal with ambiguities is to try them out several ways.

              Try for example:

              ^!SaveValue test="data"
              ^!Info ^$GetValue(test)$

              and

              ^!Set %test%="data"
              ^!Info ^%test%

              The above should illustrate one of the problems with NoteTab's quote
              handling.

              Passing an empty argument to a command can be done with or without
              quotes.

              If you are looking for ways to test for an empty argument, and run
              into the "^&" interpretation problem, then consider passing a dummy
              variable to the subroutine, which you test for and discard if found.

              Abair
            • junja
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 12, 2006
                thanks hrs

                hsavage wrote:
                > junja wrote:

                > >> In the previous response I neglected to address the 'empty ""
                > >> parameter'.
                > >>
                > >> ^%EMPTY% = empty string
                > >>
                > >> ºvº
                > >
                > > Okay, but it would be nice if the example in the doc was
                > > definitive.
                > > Does ntb accept "" for an empty parameter?
                > > junja
                >
                > John,
                >
                > Yes, "" will suffice for ^%empty% in most cases I can think of if an
                > empty parameter is required.
                >
                > To trim blanks in a document without setting the menu option one could
                > use a clip, as below. Added to a Personal Clipbar this clip, as is,
                > trims the whole document but could be modified to trim a preselected
                > portion.
                >
                > <>·······Start Clip·······<>
                > H="Bla-Trim-nks"
                > ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060410
                > ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_08:45:33a
                > ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                > ^!Set %view%=^$GetRowTop$
                > ^!Set %rowcol%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
                > ^!Select ALL
                > ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Trim Blanks
                > ^!SetView ^%view%:1
                > ^!Select 0
                > ^!SetCursor ^%rowcol%
                >
                > ºvº
                > 06.04.10_07.31
                > "Cooking III; How Not to Inflict Your Diets on Other People."
                > hrs ø hsavage@...

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • junja
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 12, 2006