[Clip] Re: ^$getoutput()$ question

  • acummingsus
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2006
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, junja <junja@...> wrote:

      > c_j_ackson wrote:
      >
      > > When I try, "^$getdosoutput("mysql")$", there is this error message:
      > > No output produced by "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" /c mysql"
      >
      > I don't know mysql but if it's like the average db software,
      > it won't give any output unless you tell it what you want.
      > Which includes opening the db you want then extracting
      > the stuff you want from it.

      If mysql sends messages to STDOUT this is what these clip functions
      capture the STDOUT

      But these clip functions can only capture *after* the clip is launched
      and on through to the end of the clip run and *without* any user
      interactivity in between the start and finish of clip's run as far as
      the entered command and captured output goes.

      This means you must enter one command or a series of commands in the
      clip and then *at_once* (a once only) capture the output of that for
      there is no (no interactive way of) entering a command and then
      sending some more commands with capture in between of each sent command.

      But if you desire to do that latter: DOS language can used to
      redirect STDOUT to a file (rather than the default of to console window).

      I only know how to live monitor such (redirected to) file in Linux it
      is the tail command will in realtime, live monitor and display
      additions as they append/accrue to that file.

      If there exists a way to do this in Win (reload file in editor?) then
      you have a way of viewing (and saving) the captured STDOUT

      --
      Alan.
    • c_j_ackson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
        Thanks for all who responded to my question.

        I found a way to gather database table data from MySQL to Notetab that
        bypasses manually typing in a command prompt. It involves creating a
        text file that lists MySQL commands.

        Here is the NoteTab Code:

        ^!info $getdosoutput(mysql [database name] < [filename path])$

        Here is the contents of a sample text file refered to in the Notetab
        code:

        use local_files; #"local_files" is the database name
        select * from content; #"content" is the table name

      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
          Thanks for sharing this. Oddly enough I only can get it to work with
          ^$getoutput()$

          Hugo