Re: [Clip] isnumber function

  • loro
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 5, 2006
      Don:
      >I am actually working on a European clip, so I have converted commas to
      >decimals so they are in my way of thinking before I test them. There
      >they say 10,95 vs my 10.95 vs your (now outdated) 10:95. I used
      >strreplace to convert it to my "proper" number formula. Then I wanted
      >to test it to be sure it was good.

      "My" Notetab handles comma as well as period as decimal point. I don't know
      if that is programmed in Notatab or if it in some way pick the comma up
      from my system. I have some other (not swedish) programs that demand that I
      use comma, just because of my locale. Very irritating. I'm now used to
      period, so I get it wrong all the time.

      But I meant numbers like this one: 1,00,00.10. As I see it there are two
      too many, either you use comma or period. ;-)

      It's odd though. I also feel that what's not numeric should be alpha. And
      did we figure out why letters, mathematically, are zero? ;-o)

      Lotta
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
        loro wrote:
        > It's odd though. I also feel that what's not numeric should be alpha. And
        > did we figure out why letters, mathematically, are zero? ;-o)
        >
        > Lotta
        Lotta,

        The IsNumber function is a True/False test. Either the selected
        information is a number or it is not. The Clip Help indicates that it
        returns 1 for a number and 0 if it is not. It must assume decimal
        numbers, there is no option to consider Hexadecimal. But octal and
        binary values that have the same characters to represent decimal numbers
        would evaluate to numbers, if there is no character as part of the
        number indicating something other than decimal.

        I have not tested region-specific delimiters for thousands and decimals,
        but it should rely on the regional settings to determine if certain
        values are numbers or not. If it does not fit the pattern for thousands
        and decimals, then it must be a problem with the infamous input control.

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
          Larry Hamilton wrote:
          > loro wrote:
          >
          >>It's odd though. I also feel that what's not numeric should be alpha. And
          >>did we figure out why letters, mathematically, are zero? ;-o)
          >>
          >>Lotta
          >
          > Lotta,
          >
          > The IsNumber function is a True/False test. Either the selected
          > information is a number or it is not. The Clip Help indicates that it
          > returns 1 for a number and 0 if it is not. It must assume decimal
          > numbers, there is no option to consider Hexadecimal. But octal and

          Hi Larry,

          Of the things we tested only the following were numbers (according to
          isnumber):
          a. an integer
          b. any single letter of the alphabet (I consider this to be a bug)

          The following were not numbers:
          a. any decimal number
          b. any mixed characters other than a single alphabetic character
          c. any number with commas in it for example 1,000

          So isnumber isn't isnumber, it is isinteger (with an odd twist of single
          alphabetic characters tossed in).

          Hopefully this can be fixed in version 4.96.
        • loro
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
            Larry Hamilton wrote:
            >The IsNumber function is a True/False test. Either the selected
            >information is a number or it is not.

            Except if it's a single letter! :-)

            >I have not tested region-specific delimiters for thousands and decimals,
            >but it should rely on the regional settings to determine if certain
            >values are numbers or not. If it does not fit the pattern for thousands
            >and decimals, then it must be a problem with the infamous input control.

            It works, as I can use both period and comma.

            The problem is that a single alphabetic character returns true when tested
            with $IsNumber$, as Don discovered. What more is, the letter seems to
            evaluate to 0. Or that's what we thought yesterday. But I tried to
            calculate with all the letters in the alphabet and it turns out this only
            "works" with the letters a, b, c, d, e, t, x and y. The others return an
            error, as we expected they all would ("expression could not be evaluated").
            But it doesn't stop here. Take a look at this. Just calculate with Ctrl+E,
            no clip needed.

            a*2=0
            b*2=0
            c*2=0
            d*2=0
            e*2=0
            t*2=0
            x*2=0
            y*2=0

            2^a=1
            2^b=1
            2^c=1
            2^d=1
            2^e=1
            2^t=1
            2^x=1
            2^y=1

            The letters act as they were zero. But look what happens with e here...

            a+2=2
            b+2=2
            c+2=2
            d+2=2
            e+2=0
            t+2=2
            x+2=2
            y+2=2

            a-2=-2
            b-2=-2
            c-2=-2
            d-2=-2
            e-2=0
            t-2=-2
            x-2=-2
            y-2=-2

            ??????????????
            Lotta
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
              As we all know, the letter e is the most popular letter, so it demands
              to be treated differently during negotiations, don't you think?

              > The letters act as they were zero. But look what happens with e here...
              >

              > a+2=2
              > b+2=2
              > c+2=2
              > d+2=2
              > e+2=0
              > t+2=2
              > x+2=2
              > y+2=2
              >
              > a-2=-2
              > b-2=-2
              > c-2=-2
              > d-2=-2
              > e-2=0
              > t-2=-2
              > x-2=-2
              > y-2=-2
            • loro
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
                Don wrote:
                >As we all know, the letter e is the most popular letter, so it demands
                >to be treated differently during negotiations, don't you think?

                I think it's nothing less than an insult that I can't calculate with å, ä
                and ö, that's what I think. I'll probably write to Jody about this. I
                demand that åäö calculation will be properly implemented in the next version!

                Lotta - who is joking (better add that! ;-o))
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
                  Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                  > As we all know, the letter e is the most popular letter, so it demands
                  > to be treated differently during negotiations, don't you think?
                  I'd like to buy a Q. ;-)

                  I do not know if this behavior for IsNumber is a clip language bug or a
                  problem with the infamous input control. I do not need this function too
                  often, so personally not a big problem, but it should be fixed.

                  Larry
                • Bill Newman
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
                    Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

                    > Larry Hamilton wrote:
                    > > loro wrote:
                    > >
                    > >>It's odd though. I also feel that what's not numeric should be
                    > alpha. And
                    > >>did we figure out why letters, mathematically, are zero? ;-o)
                    > >>
                    > >>Lotta
                    > >
                    > > Lotta,
                    > >
                    > > The IsNumber function is a True/False test. Either the selected
                    > > information is a number or it is not. The Clip Help indicates that it
                    > > returns 1 for a number and 0 if it is not. It must assume decimal
                    > > numbers, there is no option to consider Hexadecimal. But octal and
                    >
                    > Hi Larry,
                    >
                    > Of the things we tested only the following were numbers (according to
                    > isnumber):
                    > a. an integer
                    > b. any single letter of the alphabet (I consider this to be a bug)
                    >
                    > The following were not numbers:
                    > a. any decimal number
                    > b. any mixed characters other than a single alphabetic character
                    > c. any number with commas in it for example 1,000
                    >
                    > So isnumber isn't isnumber, it is isinteger (with an odd twist of single
                    > alphabetic characters tossed in).

                    I think the problem is with the definition of IsNumber in Help. It
                    takes an argument of "Value" and then refers to "Value" as the
                    "specified text". A better definition might be:

                    $IsNumber*("Str")$ *Returns 1 if Str contains only digits 0 through 9,
                    and 0 if it does not.

                    This explains what you observe. The fact that these numbers are
                    integers is just a coincidence. This definition also corresponds more
                    closely to the definition of IsAlpha.

                    It also might have avoided this whole thread. :-)

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 9, 2006
                      > I think the problem is with the definition of IsNumber in Help. It
                      > takes an argument of "Value" and then refers to "Value" as the
                      > "specified text". A better definition might be:
                      >
                      > $IsNumber*("Str")$ *Returns 1 if Str contains only digits 0 through 9,
                      > and 0 if it does not.
                      >
                      > This explains what you observe. The fact that these numbers are
                      > integers is just a coincidence. This definition also corresponds more
                      > closely to the definition of IsAlpha.
                      >
                      > It also might have avoided this whole thread. :-)

                      Your definition would have indeed been better than the one provided ...
                      but I think it is more accurate to say integers (defined as all whole
                      numbers positive AND NEGATIVE and zero:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integer ). Your definition forgot the
                      negative sign ... that is not a 0-9 character ... and can only appear
                      immediately preceeding the number:
                      ^!Info [C] minus 5 -- ^$IsNumber("-5")$
                      ^!Info [C] 5 minus -- ^$IsNumber("5-")$
                      ^!Info [C] 5 minus 5 -- ^$IsNumber("5-5")$

                      This tread would have still been necessary because what I needed to do
                      was test if something was a number in this format ([brackets mean
                      optional] and ... ellipses means one or more):
                      [#...][,][##]#[.][#...]

                      As isnumber didn't cover my situation ... I had to come up with a way to
                      do it.

                      Is is possible to test if something is a "number" with a regex?

                      Rules:
                      1. either one or no decimal point, but there can be any number of proper
                      characters before and after the decimal
                      2. comma's are permitted but not required, but may only be present with
                      three proper characters to the right of each comma and left of the
                      decimal (or implied decimal if it is an integer)
                      3. proper characters are 0-9, an no other characters are permitted
                      except for rule 1 (decimal point) and rule 2 (properly placed commas)

                      I wrote a clip function to do it, but if there is a regex that would do
                      it quicker ...

                      I just did this:
                      a+b+c+d+e+t+x+y=0
                      But the fact that those letters for some reason have a numeric value of
                      zero when used in calculations DOES NOT make them numbers per isnumber
                      when not used in calculations, as each of the following tests negative:
                      ^!Info [C]abcdetxy --^$IsNumber("abcdetxy")$
                      ^!Info [C]a --^$IsNumber("a")$
                      ^!Info [C]aa --^$IsNumber("aa")$
                      ^!Info [C]e --^$IsNumber("e")$

                      But when we use calc, we are all over the place ...
                      ^!Info [C]abcdetxy --^$IsNumber("^$Calc(abcdetxy)$")$
                      ^!Info [C]a --^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a)$")$
                      ^!Info [C]aa --^$IsNumber("^$Calc(aa)$")$
                      ^!Info [C]a*a --^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a*a)$")$
                      ^!Info [C]e --^$IsNumber("^$Calc(e)$")$

                      Anyway, I am enjoying the tread and hope deep in my heart that this bug
                      just might be the catalyst to get Eric coding either an update or better
                      yet, a version 5. As I said a few months back though, I am not sure a
                      version 5 is really going to happen and nobody has told me I am wrong by
                      giving me any milestones, targets or goals. I'd settle for 4.96 with
                      this bug fixed and isnumber better defined in help ;-)
                    • Hugo Paulissen
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 9, 2006
                        Don,

                        You could try this...

                        It fetches 4.96 as well as 5.0.

                        And:
                        123,4234,976.345
                        4234,976.345
                        234,976.345
                        4234976.345
                        4234976345
                        1

                        (\d+,)*\d+(\.)*\d*

                        Hugo
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 9, 2006
                          Hi Lotta and All,

                          >Don wrote:
                          >> As we all know, the letter e is the most popular letter, so it
                          >> demands to be treated differently during negotiations, don't
                          >> you think?
                          >
                          >I think it's nothing less than an insult that I can't calculate
                          >with å, ä and ö, that's what I think. I'll probably write to Jody
                          >about this. I demand that åäö calculation will be properly
                          >implemented in the next version!

                          LOL! Actually, I have been trying to follow this thread, but my
                          time is limited. I have sent posts to me to file it as a bug. I'm
                          sure Eric will take it into consideration in the infamous
                          4.96/5.0/6.0 release. I'll push to get the extended characters
                          added along with giving "e" preference Don, but only after "E". :)

                          >Lotta - who is joking (better add that! ;-o))

                          Happy Topics,
                          Jody

                          The NoteTab Off-Topic List

                          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                        • Charles M. Raine
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 9, 2006
                            Hi Don:

                            On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:46:18 -0500, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                            > But when we use calc, we are all over the place ...
                            > ^!Info [C]abcdetxy -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(abcdetxy)$")$
                            > ^!Info [C]a -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a)$")$
                            > ^!Info [C]aa -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(aa)$")$
                            > ^!Info [C]a*a -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a*a)$")$
                            > ^!Info [C]e -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(e)$")$

                            Not quite correct Don as not all of your Calc statements are valid. Try the

                            following to see what I mean.

                            ^!Info [C]abcdetxy -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(abcdetxy+0)$")$ --
                            ^$Calc(abcdetxy+0)$
                            ^!Info [C]a -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a+0)$")$ -- ^$Calc(a+0)$
                            ^!Info [C]aa -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a+a)$")$ -- ^$Calc(a+a)$
                            ^!Info [C]a*a -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a*a)$")$ -- ^$Calc(a*a)$
                            ^!Info [C]e -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(e+0)$")$ -- ^$Calc(e+0)$

                            Charlie
                            Charles M. Raine,
                            Winnipeg. MB R3P 0W3