Re: [Clip] isnumber function

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
      So I say to self, "self, if you multiply the item by 100, that should
      move the decimal out of the way and get better results." Self was wrong
      ... why is x * 1 = 0??

      anyway this answer didn't work ...
      new clip:
      ^!Jump Doc_Start
      :repeat
      ^!Select Eol
      ^!Set %test%="^$Calc(^$GetSelection$*100)$"
      ^!If "^$IsNumber("^%test%")$" = "0" notnum
      ^!If "^$IsNumber("^%test%")$" = "1" num

      ^!Info [C]we should never get here ... everything either is or is not a
      number

      :notnum
      ^!Info [C]*^%test%* is NOT a number
      ^!Goto torepeat

      :num
      ^!Info [C]*^%test%* IS a number
      ^!Goto torepeat

      :torepeat
      ^!Jump +1
      ^!Goto repeat

      New test list:
      1
      10
      .10
      word
      1word
      1,00,00.10
      1.1
      5.2
      1,000.50
      1,000
      200
      7.3546

      Results:
      1 number
      10 number
      .10 number
      x number!
      word not number
      1word not number
      1,00,00.10 number!
      1.1 number
      5.2 number
      1,000.50 number
      1,000 number
      200 number
      7.3546 number
    • loro
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
        Don wrote:
        >I am surprised to find how it works because I think it only works on
        >integers and not decimals, etc.

        Been there. In fact I found my post - from 2001. Jody confirmed number =
        integer. English question: what do you guys, in daily speech, call
        "numbers" that are not integers? Honest question, I really don't know.

        Anyway, I think you have to do some simple calculation on the questionable
        number, get rid of the decimals and THEN test if it is a number.

        ^!If ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(^$GetSelection$*1;0)$")$ = 1 num else notnum

        :num
        ^!Info It's a number!
        ^!Goto end

        :notnum
        ^!Info Not a number.

        This all is a little hairy. $IsAlpha()$ returns true only for real letters
        a-ö. Put as much as period in the mix and it returns false.

        Lotta
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
          loro wrote:
          > Don wrote:
          >> I am surprised to find how it works because I think it only works on
          >> integers and not decimals, etc.
          >
          > Been there. In fact I found my post - from 2001. Jody confirmed number =
          > integer. English question: what do you guys, in daily speech, call
          > "numbers" that are not integers? Honest question, I really don't know.
          >
          > Anyway, I think you have to do some simple calculation on the questionable
          > number, get rid of the decimals and THEN test if it is a number.
          >
          > ^!If ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(^$GetSelection$*1;0)$")$ = 1 num else notnum

          Loro,

          Thanks so much for the response. I think I vaguely remember that
          discussion. I call anything that is a number a number in English. That
          function should say tells you if it is an integer number ....

          I need to tell if something is a number.

          Numbers are:
          d.ddd
          dd.dd
          d,ddd.dd
          ddd,ddd,ddd.dd
          d,ddd
          etc.
          where d is an integer.

          Numbers are not:
          d.dd.dd
          d,dd,ddd,ddd.dd
          etc.
          you need only one decimal
          all characters must be either number 0-9, period/decimal/fullstop - but
          only one of them, and commas to divide numbers at each third character
          left of the decimal.

          Another bug: multiply x*1=0
          Why would that be? The result is that because 0 is an integer ... x is
          a number if you use your calculation method! It doesn't have to be an x
          either, I tried a c and same result ...

          So I sat down and wrote a whole big clip for it ... it seems to be
          working on my pattern ... for this list:

          1,000.50
          1,000
          1,000.507
          1,000,100
          1,000
          1,00,00.10
          200
          1
          .10
          10
          10.10
          10.7856
          word
          1word
          1.1
          5.2
          7.3546

          ^!Jump Doc_Start
          ^!ClearVariable %decplace%
          ^!ClearVariable %commacheck%

          :repeat
          ^!Select Eol
          ^!Set %test_variable%="^$GetSelection$"
          ;quick test if is an integer ... call it a num and go on
          ^!If "^$IsNumber(^%test_variable%)$" = "1" num

          ;next lets find out if we have just one decimal
          ^!If ^$StrCount(".";"^%test_variable%";false;false)$ > 1 notnum
          ;have either one or none decimals remove it and test
          ;get index of the decimal or set it to full length otherwise
          ^!Set %decplace%="^$StrPosRight(".";"^%test_variable%";false)$"
          ^!If ^%decplace% > 0 skip
          ^!Set %decplace%=^$Calc(^$StrSize("^%test_variable%")$+1)$
          ^!Set %test_variable%=^$StrReplace(".";"";"^%test_variable%";false;false)$
          ^!If "^$IsNumber(^%test_variable%)$" = "1" num

          ;next lets find out how many commas we have
          ^!Set %commas%=^$StrCount(",";"^%test_variable%";false;false)$
          ;if there are no commas, then we don't have a number
          ^!If ^%commas% = 0 notnum
          ;check placement of commas
          ^!Set %commacheck%="^$Calc(^%decplace%-4)$"

          :commas
          ^!If "," <> "^$StrIndex("^%test_variable%";^%commacheck%)$" notnum
          ^!Dec %commas%
          ^!If "^%commas%" = "0" removecommas
          ^!Set %commacheck%="^$Calc(^%commacheck%-4)$"
          ^!Goto commas

          :removecommas
          ^!Set %test_variable%=^$StrReplace(",";"";"^%test_variable%";false;false)$
          ^!If "^$IsNumber(^%test_variable%)$" = "1" num ELSE notnum

          ^!Info [C]we should never get here ... everything either is or is not a
          number

          :notnum
          ^!Info [C]*^%test_variable%* is NOT a number
          ^!Goto torepeat

          :num
          ^!Info [C]*^%test_variable%* IS a number
          ^!Goto torepeat

          :torepeat
          ^!Jump +1
          ^!Goto repeat

          Results:
          1,000.50 is
          1,000 is
          1,000.507 is
          1,000,100 is
          1,000 is
          1,00,00.10 IS NOT
          200 is
          1 is
          .10 is
          10 is
          10.10 is
          10.7856 is
          x IS NOT
          word IS NOT
          1word IS NOT
          1.1 is
          5.2 is
          7.3546 is

          Very odd and a lot of work. Now I need to make this essentially a
          subroutine clip where I pass a number to it and have it give alert if
          not number. ... hmmm

          Thanks again Lotta,

          Don
        • loro
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
            Don wrote:
            > I call anything that is a number a number in English. That
            >function should say tells you if it is an integer number ....

            Oh. Clear as mud! Thank you.

            >Another bug: multiply x*1=0
            >Why would that be? The result is that because 0 is an integer ... x is
            >a number if you use your calculation method! It doesn't have to be an x
            >either, I tried a c and same result ...

            You are right. How strange. Bet there is a logical explanation as usual but
            I can't guess what it is.

            ln() seems to work more as expected than multiplication. If I add that it
            seems to work correctly.

            ^!If ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(ln(^$GetSelection$)*1;0)$")$ = 1 num else notnum

            Lotta
          • loro
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
              Don,
              It isn't only multiplication. A single letter a-z always is 0. Anyone
              knows why this is?

              a+1=1
              a*1=0
              a/1=0
              a^1=0
              1^a=1
              a*a=0

              For example these return an error, same as they do if 0 is used instead of a.
              1/a=[error]
              ln(a)=[error]

              So this would work too.
              ^!If ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(1/^$GetSelection$;0)$")$ = 1 num else notnum

              Now the question is - why is it this way?

              Lotta
            • John Wallace
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
                I don't have any knowledge on this, just thinking out loud.

                I would say the 'a' is interpeted as not numeric and given a binary value of zero.
                Possibly the letter 'a' needs a declaration to show it's a variable instead of a letter?

                John Wallace
                Pontiac Power RULES !!!
                www.wallaceracing.com

                Subject: Re: [Clip] isnumber function - calculating with letters

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
                  > ln() seems to work more as expected than multiplication. If I add that it
                  > seems to work correctly.
                  >
                  > ^!If ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(ln(^$GetSelection$)*1;0)$")$ = 1 num else notnum

                  Hi Lotta,

                  The above fails on this example: "1,00,00.10"
                  Well I guess we could argue that is a number (begging that question
                  again I suppose). At best, I would suggest that it is a mis-formed
                  number. I don't know if I would have cared ... but for trying a bunch
                  of things it may not have occurred to me to check such a thing.

                  What happens if you divide by a letter ... is that division by zero? :-)

                  By the way using this method, "1.10.10", is not a number, so I think
                  that more than one period/decimal/fullstop is bad, but placement of
                  commas is apparently ignored.

                  In an effort to test that theory I then used this: "1,,,,,,,,,,,1".
                  Good news! It is a number ;-)

                  Thanks to all who contributed.

                  BTW here is a post from Alan that got lost in cyberspace somewhere:

                  Hi Don,

                  I'm wonder if the period and the comma happen to also fit within the
                  other, the corresponding (what is it, the getascii function or is it
                  IsAscii function)

                  (there are two functions of which that each does what the other doesn't,
                  IsNumber is one of these two)

                  IOW the conterpart to IsNumber

                  period and comma be found in "not number" (in sentences) too.

                  But, yes, given sufficient parsing ability/intelligence, I agree with
                  you on integers versus decimals.

                  I suppose in the meantime, may need to pre parse, rounding off to rid of
                  period and eliminate commas if they exist.

                  Alan.
                • loro
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
                    Don wrote:
                    >The above fails on this example: "1,00,00.10"

                    Come on! That isn't a (correctly written) number any way you see it. A
                    writing convention maybe, but would you write it like that using a
                    calculator? We use to write "money" like this: "10:95" (where you would
                    write 10.95). That doesn't work either. :-)

                    Lotta
                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
                      loro wrote:
                      > Don wrote:
                      >> The above fails on this example: "1,00,00.10"
                      >
                      > Come on! That isn't a (correctly written) number any way you see it. A
                      > writing convention maybe, but would you write it like that using a
                      > calculator? We use to write "money" like this: "10:95" (where you would
                      > write 10.95). That doesn't work either. :-)
                      >
                      > Lotta

                      I think we agree then :-)

                      I probably didn't mean what I said or say what I meant. By fails I
                      meant that it shows it to be a number when I would argue it "isn't" a
                      number. I would have wanted it to say "not a number" but is said "is a
                      number" when I put it to the ln() test. So I would argue while better
                      than without that method that the method did not work to find well
                      formed numbers. We would also agree I think that 1,,,,,,1 isn't a
                      number, but that method found it to be one.

                      I am actually working on a European clip, so I have converted commas to
                      decimals so they are in my way of thinking before I test them. There
                      they say 10,95 vs my 10.95 vs your (now outdated) 10:95. I used
                      strreplace to convert it to my "proper" number formula. Then I wanted
                      to test it to be sure it was good.
                    • loro
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 5, 2006
                        Don:
                        >I am actually working on a European clip, so I have converted commas to
                        >decimals so they are in my way of thinking before I test them. There
                        >they say 10,95 vs my 10.95 vs your (now outdated) 10:95. I used
                        >strreplace to convert it to my "proper" number formula. Then I wanted
                        >to test it to be sure it was good.

                        "My" Notetab handles comma as well as period as decimal point. I don't know
                        if that is programmed in Notatab or if it in some way pick the comma up
                        from my system. I have some other (not swedish) programs that demand that I
                        use comma, just because of my locale. Very irritating. I'm now used to
                        period, so I get it wrong all the time.

                        But I meant numbers like this one: 1,00,00.10. As I see it there are two
                        too many, either you use comma or period. ;-)

                        It's odd though. I also feel that what's not numeric should be alpha. And
                        did we figure out why letters, mathematically, are zero? ;-o)

                        Lotta
                      • Larry Hamilton
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
                          loro wrote:
                          > It's odd though. I also feel that what's not numeric should be alpha. And
                          > did we figure out why letters, mathematically, are zero? ;-o)
                          >
                          > Lotta
                          Lotta,

                          The IsNumber function is a True/False test. Either the selected
                          information is a number or it is not. The Clip Help indicates that it
                          returns 1 for a number and 0 if it is not. It must assume decimal
                          numbers, there is no option to consider Hexadecimal. But octal and
                          binary values that have the same characters to represent decimal numbers
                          would evaluate to numbers, if there is no character as part of the
                          number indicating something other than decimal.

                          I have not tested region-specific delimiters for thousands and decimals,
                          but it should rely on the regional settings to determine if certain
                          values are numbers or not. If it does not fit the pattern for thousands
                          and decimals, then it must be a problem with the infamous input control.

                          Larry Hamilton
                          Kairos Computer Solutions
                          http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
                          Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
                        • Don - htmlfixit.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
                            Larry Hamilton wrote:
                            > loro wrote:
                            >
                            >>It's odd though. I also feel that what's not numeric should be alpha. And
                            >>did we figure out why letters, mathematically, are zero? ;-o)
                            >>
                            >>Lotta
                            >
                            > Lotta,
                            >
                            > The IsNumber function is a True/False test. Either the selected
                            > information is a number or it is not. The Clip Help indicates that it
                            > returns 1 for a number and 0 if it is not. It must assume decimal
                            > numbers, there is no option to consider Hexadecimal. But octal and

                            Hi Larry,

                            Of the things we tested only the following were numbers (according to
                            isnumber):
                            a. an integer
                            b. any single letter of the alphabet (I consider this to be a bug)

                            The following were not numbers:
                            a. any decimal number
                            b. any mixed characters other than a single alphabetic character
                            c. any number with commas in it for example 1,000

                            So isnumber isn't isnumber, it is isinteger (with an odd twist of single
                            alphabetic characters tossed in).

                            Hopefully this can be fixed in version 4.96.
                          • loro
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
                              Larry Hamilton wrote:
                              >The IsNumber function is a True/False test. Either the selected
                              >information is a number or it is not.

                              Except if it's a single letter! :-)

                              >I have not tested region-specific delimiters for thousands and decimals,
                              >but it should rely on the regional settings to determine if certain
                              >values are numbers or not. If it does not fit the pattern for thousands
                              >and decimals, then it must be a problem with the infamous input control.

                              It works, as I can use both period and comma.

                              The problem is that a single alphabetic character returns true when tested
                              with $IsNumber$, as Don discovered. What more is, the letter seems to
                              evaluate to 0. Or that's what we thought yesterday. But I tried to
                              calculate with all the letters in the alphabet and it turns out this only
                              "works" with the letters a, b, c, d, e, t, x and y. The others return an
                              error, as we expected they all would ("expression could not be evaluated").
                              But it doesn't stop here. Take a look at this. Just calculate with Ctrl+E,
                              no clip needed.

                              a*2=0
                              b*2=0
                              c*2=0
                              d*2=0
                              e*2=0
                              t*2=0
                              x*2=0
                              y*2=0

                              2^a=1
                              2^b=1
                              2^c=1
                              2^d=1
                              2^e=1
                              2^t=1
                              2^x=1
                              2^y=1

                              The letters act as they were zero. But look what happens with e here...

                              a+2=2
                              b+2=2
                              c+2=2
                              d+2=2
                              e+2=0
                              t+2=2
                              x+2=2
                              y+2=2

                              a-2=-2
                              b-2=-2
                              c-2=-2
                              d-2=-2
                              e-2=0
                              t-2=-2
                              x-2=-2
                              y-2=-2

                              ??????????????
                              Lotta
                            • Don - htmlfixit.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
                                As we all know, the letter e is the most popular letter, so it demands
                                to be treated differently during negotiations, don't you think?

                                > The letters act as they were zero. But look what happens with e here...
                                >

                                > a+2=2
                                > b+2=2
                                > c+2=2
                                > d+2=2
                                > e+2=0
                                > t+2=2
                                > x+2=2
                                > y+2=2
                                >
                                > a-2=-2
                                > b-2=-2
                                > c-2=-2
                                > d-2=-2
                                > e-2=0
                                > t-2=-2
                                > x-2=-2
                                > y-2=-2
                              • loro
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
                                  Don wrote:
                                  >As we all know, the letter e is the most popular letter, so it demands
                                  >to be treated differently during negotiations, don't you think?

                                  I think it's nothing less than an insult that I can't calculate with å, ä
                                  and ö, that's what I think. I'll probably write to Jody about this. I
                                  demand that åäö calculation will be properly implemented in the next version!

                                  Lotta - who is joking (better add that! ;-o))
                                • Larry Hamilton
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
                                    Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                                    > As we all know, the letter e is the most popular letter, so it demands
                                    > to be treated differently during negotiations, don't you think?
                                    I'd like to buy a Q. ;-)

                                    I do not know if this behavior for IsNumber is a clip language bug or a
                                    problem with the infamous input control. I do not need this function too
                                    often, so personally not a big problem, but it should be fixed.

                                    Larry
                                  • Bill Newman
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 8, 2006
                                      Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

                                      > Larry Hamilton wrote:
                                      > > loro wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > >>It's odd though. I also feel that what's not numeric should be
                                      > alpha. And
                                      > >>did we figure out why letters, mathematically, are zero? ;-o)
                                      > >>
                                      > >>Lotta
                                      > >
                                      > > Lotta,
                                      > >
                                      > > The IsNumber function is a True/False test. Either the selected
                                      > > information is a number or it is not. The Clip Help indicates that it
                                      > > returns 1 for a number and 0 if it is not. It must assume decimal
                                      > > numbers, there is no option to consider Hexadecimal. But octal and
                                      >
                                      > Hi Larry,
                                      >
                                      > Of the things we tested only the following were numbers (according to
                                      > isnumber):
                                      > a. an integer
                                      > b. any single letter of the alphabet (I consider this to be a bug)
                                      >
                                      > The following were not numbers:
                                      > a. any decimal number
                                      > b. any mixed characters other than a single alphabetic character
                                      > c. any number with commas in it for example 1,000
                                      >
                                      > So isnumber isn't isnumber, it is isinteger (with an odd twist of single
                                      > alphabetic characters tossed in).

                                      I think the problem is with the definition of IsNumber in Help. It
                                      takes an argument of "Value" and then refers to "Value" as the
                                      "specified text". A better definition might be:

                                      $IsNumber*("Str")$ *Returns 1 if Str contains only digits 0 through 9,
                                      and 0 if it does not.

                                      This explains what you observe. The fact that these numbers are
                                      integers is just a coincidence. This definition also corresponds more
                                      closely to the definition of IsAlpha.

                                      It also might have avoided this whole thread. :-)

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 9, 2006
                                        > I think the problem is with the definition of IsNumber in Help. It
                                        > takes an argument of "Value" and then refers to "Value" as the
                                        > "specified text". A better definition might be:
                                        >
                                        > $IsNumber*("Str")$ *Returns 1 if Str contains only digits 0 through 9,
                                        > and 0 if it does not.
                                        >
                                        > This explains what you observe. The fact that these numbers are
                                        > integers is just a coincidence. This definition also corresponds more
                                        > closely to the definition of IsAlpha.
                                        >
                                        > It also might have avoided this whole thread. :-)

                                        Your definition would have indeed been better than the one provided ...
                                        but I think it is more accurate to say integers (defined as all whole
                                        numbers positive AND NEGATIVE and zero:
                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integer ). Your definition forgot the
                                        negative sign ... that is not a 0-9 character ... and can only appear
                                        immediately preceeding the number:
                                        ^!Info [C] minus 5 -- ^$IsNumber("-5")$
                                        ^!Info [C] 5 minus -- ^$IsNumber("5-")$
                                        ^!Info [C] 5 minus 5 -- ^$IsNumber("5-5")$

                                        This tread would have still been necessary because what I needed to do
                                        was test if something was a number in this format ([brackets mean
                                        optional] and ... ellipses means one or more):
                                        [#...][,][##]#[.][#...]

                                        As isnumber didn't cover my situation ... I had to come up with a way to
                                        do it.

                                        Is is possible to test if something is a "number" with a regex?

                                        Rules:
                                        1. either one or no decimal point, but there can be any number of proper
                                        characters before and after the decimal
                                        2. comma's are permitted but not required, but may only be present with
                                        three proper characters to the right of each comma and left of the
                                        decimal (or implied decimal if it is an integer)
                                        3. proper characters are 0-9, an no other characters are permitted
                                        except for rule 1 (decimal point) and rule 2 (properly placed commas)

                                        I wrote a clip function to do it, but if there is a regex that would do
                                        it quicker ...

                                        I just did this:
                                        a+b+c+d+e+t+x+y=0
                                        But the fact that those letters for some reason have a numeric value of
                                        zero when used in calculations DOES NOT make them numbers per isnumber
                                        when not used in calculations, as each of the following tests negative:
                                        ^!Info [C]abcdetxy --^$IsNumber("abcdetxy")$
                                        ^!Info [C]a --^$IsNumber("a")$
                                        ^!Info [C]aa --^$IsNumber("aa")$
                                        ^!Info [C]e --^$IsNumber("e")$

                                        But when we use calc, we are all over the place ...
                                        ^!Info [C]abcdetxy --^$IsNumber("^$Calc(abcdetxy)$")$
                                        ^!Info [C]a --^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a)$")$
                                        ^!Info [C]aa --^$IsNumber("^$Calc(aa)$")$
                                        ^!Info [C]a*a --^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a*a)$")$
                                        ^!Info [C]e --^$IsNumber("^$Calc(e)$")$

                                        Anyway, I am enjoying the tread and hope deep in my heart that this bug
                                        just might be the catalyst to get Eric coding either an update or better
                                        yet, a version 5. As I said a few months back though, I am not sure a
                                        version 5 is really going to happen and nobody has told me I am wrong by
                                        giving me any milestones, targets or goals. I'd settle for 4.96 with
                                        this bug fixed and isnumber better defined in help ;-)
                                      • Hugo Paulissen
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 9, 2006
                                          Don,

                                          You could try this...

                                          It fetches 4.96 as well as 5.0.

                                          And:
                                          123,4234,976.345
                                          4234,976.345
                                          234,976.345
                                          4234976.345
                                          4234976345
                                          1

                                          (\d+,)*\d+(\.)*\d*

                                          Hugo
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 9, 2006
                                            Hi Lotta and All,

                                            >Don wrote:
                                            >> As we all know, the letter e is the most popular letter, so it
                                            >> demands to be treated differently during negotiations, don't
                                            >> you think?
                                            >
                                            >I think it's nothing less than an insult that I can't calculate
                                            >with å, ä and ö, that's what I think. I'll probably write to Jody
                                            >about this. I demand that åäö calculation will be properly
                                            >implemented in the next version!

                                            LOL! Actually, I have been trying to follow this thread, but my
                                            time is limited. I have sent posts to me to file it as a bug. I'm
                                            sure Eric will take it into consideration in the infamous
                                            4.96/5.0/6.0 release. I'll push to get the extended characters
                                            added along with giving "e" preference Don, but only after "E". :)

                                            >Lotta - who is joking (better add that! ;-o))

                                            Happy Topics,
                                            Jody

                                            The NoteTab Off-Topic List

                                            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                                          • Charles M. Raine
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 9, 2006
                                              Hi Don:

                                              On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:46:18 -0500, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                                              > But when we use calc, we are all over the place ...
                                              > ^!Info [C]abcdetxy -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(abcdetxy)$")$
                                              > ^!Info [C]a -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a)$")$
                                              > ^!Info [C]aa -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(aa)$")$
                                              > ^!Info [C]a*a -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a*a)$")$
                                              > ^!Info [C]e -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(e)$")$

                                              Not quite correct Don as not all of your Calc statements are valid. Try the

                                              following to see what I mean.

                                              ^!Info [C]abcdetxy -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(abcdetxy+0)$")$ --
                                              ^$Calc(abcdetxy+0)$
                                              ^!Info [C]a -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a+0)$")$ -- ^$Calc(a+0)$
                                              ^!Info [C]aa -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a+a)$")$ -- ^$Calc(a+a)$
                                              ^!Info [C]a*a -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(a*a)$")$ -- ^$Calc(a*a)$
                                              ^!Info [C]e -- ^$IsNumber("^$Calc(e+0)$")$ -- ^$Calc(e+0)$

                                              Charlie
                                              Charles M. Raine,
                                              Winnipeg. MB R3P 0W3