Re: [Clip] Re: regex?

  • Jeffery Scism
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
      funkysmama wrote:

      >--- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff <scismgenie@...> wrote:
      >

      >>looking for a REGEX clip that will search out the first ^T in each
      >>

      >line
      >

      >>of a text file and convert it to a comma followed by a space. (really

      >>want to combine columns in a table, from a surname and first name
      >>

      >column
      >

      >>into a surname, first in a single column.) the third and fourth
      >>

      >columns
      >

      >>in the same table, same story)
      >>
      >>(Want 5 columns reduced to three) see
      >>(http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/marriages/pre-1850.htm)
      >>
      >>THANKS
      >>
      >>Jeff Scism
      >>

      >I gather you've already found a workaround, but to answer your original
      >question:
      >
      >Find: ^{[^\t]*}\t{[^\t]*\t[^\t]*}\t{.*}
      >Replace: \1, \2, \3
      >
      >I do have to ask, do you have access to Excel? It's probably the tool I
      >would have used for this task.

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yes I have EXcel, Microsoft Works suite and Open Office, I searched
      the help files and could not find a combine columns procedure, I could
      find "jion cells, but with 8,000 lines it was tedious. I manually worked
      around iy by doing double replacements on the columns I wanted to keep
      then replacing back to delimiters when I had done the replacement.

    • Wright, John - Textron Financial
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
        Thanks anyhow.

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeffery Scism <scismgenie@...> wrote:
          <snip>
          > Yes I have EXcel, Microsoft Works suite and Open Office, I searched
          > the help files and could not find a combine columns procedure, I
          could
          > find "jion cells, but with 8,000 lines it was tedious. I manually
          worked
          > around iy by doing double replacements on the columns I wanted to
          keep
          > then replacing back to delimiters when I had done the replacement.

          There's no procedure per se, but this formula:

          =CONCATENATE(A1,",",B1)

          when combined with an export to tab-delimited file might have been the
          most straightforward.