garbled URL or MSIE ftp

  • Phillip Sand Hansel II
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
      Pardon if this appears as a repost, or some reason they do not appear to be
      getting through...

      Firstly, thanks Jody and all for the fine examples interfacing NoteTab and
      WSFTP. I was trying to mimic those concepts, but running into difficulties
      with spaces in the directory path on the ftp site. I think WSFTP didn't like
      them when given in the line command interface (but I may be wrong).

      For a minute I thought of invoking FTP as DOS line commands, but decided
      including an unencoded password in such a routine probably wasn't a good
      thing.

      Then I thought... why not just use MSIE and cut and paste? Normally I drag
      and drop files from my machine to the browser opened to the ftp URL. I tried
      cut & paste from one to the other and it worked fine. The browser knows the
      login and pwd (it is a secure site) so the pwd encryption is handled by
      MSIE.

      OK, so I tried it in NoteTab.

      Before running this clip, in explorer I highlight a file and hit CTRL+C.

      ;^!SetDebug On
      ; Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II 2/2/06 with much thanks to Jody Adair.
      ^!URL ftp://ftp.a2d.com/a2dno_link/To%20Be%20Indexed/Domestic%20Data/
      ; give it enough time to load ( WAS 4 OR 4/10th of a second)
      ^!Delay 25
      ;Set delay of approximately 200 milliseconds between each keystroke
      ^!KeyboardDelay 200
      ; MSIE Edit menu, Paste
      ^!Keyboard ALT+E P
      ; ^!Keyboard ALT+E P &400 # ^*.zip#

      It opens the browser but garbles the URL.
      http://%20ftp//ftp.a2d.com/a2dno_link/To%20Be%20Indexed/Domestic%20Data/

      Got any guesses as to why it wants to do that? I feel like I am real close
      to having a workable solution, but it is giving me unexpected results.

      Also, know of any way to specify that you want a new browser instance and
      not changing the contents of a currently opened browser window? Is there a
      TARGET=NEW type parameter for ^!URL?

      What I am working on is being able to edit a file, add comments, zip it, and
      ftp it with as few clicks as possible. I've got 2/3rds of it working :-)

      Thanks in advance,

      Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II

      Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
      http://philliphansel.com
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
        Did you try quotes around the stuff after URL?
        > ^!URL ftp://ftp.a2d.com/a2dno_link/To%20Be%20Indexed/Domestic%20Data/
      • loro
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
          Hi Phillip,
          >Before running this clip, in explorer I highlight a file and hit CTRL+C.
          >
          >;^!SetDebug On
          >; Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II 2/2/06 with much thanks to Jody Adair.
          >^!URL ftp://ftp.a2d.com/a2dno_link/To%20Be%20Indexed/Domestic%20Data/
          >; give it enough time to load ( WAS 4 OR 4/10th of a second)
          >^!Delay 25
          >;Set delay of approximately 200 milliseconds between each keystroke
          >^!KeyboardDelay 200
          >; MSIE Edit menu, Paste
          >^!Keyboard ALT+E P
          >; ^!Keyboard ALT+E P &400 # ^*.zip#
          >

          >It opens the browser but garbles the URL.
          >http://%20ftp//ftp.a2d.com/a2dno_link/To%20Be%20Indexed/Domestic%20Data/

          It seems like ^!Url only recognizes the http protocol, so it adds it to
          everything. Try ^!Shell instead.

          ^!Shell "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"
          "ftp://ftp.a2d.com/a2dno_link/To%20Be%20Indexed/Domestic%20Data/"

          Lotta
        • Phillip Sand Hansel II
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
            Yes sir. That is what I started with, but it makes an even bigger mess.
            Tries to open the browser to this malformed URL...

            http://%20%22ftp//ftp.a2d.com/a2dno_link/To%20Be%20Indexed/Domestic%20Data/"

            When I cut and paste in windows, I don't have to put quotes around a long
            URL, so that's why I decided to remove them.

            It may be that ftp is so special to MSIE (to fetch login/pwd) that it is
            handled differently in some subtle way.

            Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
            http://philliphansel.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
              Yes, that works, thank you very much! Now I have a timing issue (knowing
              when the window is active enough to accept the Edit+Paste), but I think I
              can work that out. (I have a very slow satellite dish connection).

              I am going to use it to upload a zipped version of the file I just edited in
              notetab; it's gonna save me a lot of clicks.

              In the end, it is a real powerful 3 or 4 lines of code using the features
              built in to XP ;-)

              Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
              http://philliphansel.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
                Hi Phillip Sand Hansel II,

                >Firstly, thanks Jody and all for the fine examples interfacing
                >NoteTab and WSFTP. I was trying to mimic those concepts, but
                >running into difficulties with spaces in the directory path on
                >the ftp site. I think WSFTP didn't like them when given in the
                >line command interface (but I may be wrong).
                >
                >;^!SetDebug On
                >; Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II 2/2/06 with much thanks to Jody Adair.
                >^!URL ftp://ftp.a2d.com/a2dno_link/To%20Be%20Indexed/Domestic%20Data/

                I wasn't really following this or many at all - been real busy! I
                saw the thanks in there to me I looked at it a bit closer. Yes,
                Ws_Ftp does require some tricky/difficult tags. The %20, I'm sure
                is the correct was if you want to stick to code which I learned
                the long/wrong way around. <bg> However, I think in Ws_FtpLE or
                _FtpPro that ^$GetShort(^##)$ works just fine, at least where Ws_Ftp
                requires it. It is not the actual code that is used on the net or
                in the HTML file, so no adherence to the web-specs is required.

                Look at my Clips that you are probably referencing to and see how I
                used it. If anything, it should help get the correct code more than
                break it. <g>

                http://www.sojourner.us/software
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Hi Phillip Sand Hansel II,

                  >Firstly, thanks Jody and all for the fine examples interfacing
                  >NoteTab and WSFTP. I was trying to mimic those concepts, but
                  >running into difficulties with spaces in the directory path on
                  >the ftp site. I think WSFTP didn't like them when given in the
                  >line command interface (but I may be wrong).
                  >
                  >;^!SetDebug On
                  >; Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II 2/2/06 with much thanks to Jody Adair.
                  >^!URL ftp://ftp.a2d.com/a2dno_link/To%20Be%20Indexed/Domestic%20Data/

                  I wasn't really following this or many at all - been real busy! I
                  saw the thanks in there to me I looked at it a bit closer. Yes,
                  Ws_Ftp does require some tricky/difficult tags. The %20, I'm sure
                  is the correct was if you want to stick to code which I learned
                  the long/wrong way around. <bg> However, I think in Ws_FtpLE or
                  _FtpPro that ^$GetShort(^##)$ works just fine, at least where Ws_Ftp
                  requires it. It is not the actual code that is used on the net or
                  in the HTML file, so no adherence to the web-specs is required.

                  Look at my Clips that you are probably referencing to and see how I
                  used it. If anything, it should help get the correct code more than
                  break it. <g>

                  http://www.sojourner.us/software
                • dave
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2006
                    Hi
                    just curious is your satellite dish download fast , upload slow or download
                    fast and upload via landline.
                    have you tried wsftp gui method it just drag and drop ,to lists side by side
                    .
                    THANKYOU DAVE M

                    > Yes, that works, thank you very much! Now I have a timing issue (knowing
                    > when the window is active enough to accept the Edit+Paste), but I think I
                    > can work that out. (I have a very slow satellite dish connection).
                    >
                    > I am going to use it to upload a zipped version of the file I just edited
                    > in
                    > notetab; it's gonna save me a lot of clicks.
                    >
                    > In the end, it is a real powerful 3 or 4 lines of code using the features
                    > built in to XP ;-)
                    >
                    > Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
                    > http://philliphansel.com

                  • Phillip Sand Hansel II
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 9, 2006
                      Download faster than upload, both slow, no landline. Maybe 90kbps, just
                      better than a phone line.

                      Yes on the wsftp gui, but it is easier to simply use Windows to do that same
                      thing (drag & drop ftp). That was one of my unanswered questions, how to
                      select a file (not just the name) for pasting to the ftp site via windows.
                      CTRL+C in explorer will select it and CTRL+V will paste it into the ftp
                      site, but I can not figure out how to get NoteTab to do that. I do not want
                      to copy the filename, but rather the file.

                      Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
                      http://philliphansel.com