Re: [Clip] More on Using .INI Files

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
      hsavage helped me with a clip that worked for a long time. The hard drive was replaced. I Backed up Note Tab Pro but now there are only three clips there. Two never worked and I am sure the other one did. I am using XP Pro with 1 g of memory. I had to start NoteTab each morning in order for the signature to be changed. Nothing works now. Any ideas?

      This is one:
      ^!CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\'Edward Brown'\My Documents\signature.txt"

      The other which did not work:
      ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
      ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
      ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%oldsig%"

      I found a third and this is it.
      ^!SetDebug 0
      ^!Set %newsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
      ^!Set %oldsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"
      ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%signature.txt%"

      Thanks
      Ed

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
        Lee Underwood wrote:
        > We had a discussion a while back on using .INI files for data input.
        > Don, you had given me a great deal of data input regarding that. I
        > use them now but had a question. Currently I am entering data
        > directly into the INI file (their different ones than the one NoteTab
        > Pro uses.) It seems to be easy to go to the field where I need to
        > enter data and paste it there. Is that how others do it or do you use
        > a wizard or combination?
        >
        > In using the .INI file, I have another text file that imports that
        > data for formatting it to be used for Web pages, newsletters, etc.
        >
        > Lee

        Lee,

        I remember the discussion, shortly after I completed a clip to make it
        easier to store selections in an ini file.

        The clip allows you to make a selection, from within NoteTab, run the
        clip, choose a name for the inikey, and the selection is automatically
        added to the inifile after you accept the prompted name or change it to
        suit your needs.

        If you've made no selection you are presented with a Wizard containing
        all the keynames in the inifile. You can either select 1 key or many.
        Select to view, 1 at a time, in an info box or select to delete those
        selected, or, if you select none the inifile is loaded into an edit
        window for you to peruse, add, delete, edit all you want.

        I also wrote a clip that performs nearly identically but uses individual
        disk files for storing data and no worrying about selection size, I
        already have used it several times, currently for storing data about
        commandline parameters for various software and various Dos commands.

        This is the link for the data storage clips-
        http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=350

        For the other discussion, started by Ray S., about encrypting files on
        your computer I wrote a clip around the ^!FileScramble command. It
        works very nicely and is very fast and gives a level of encryption that
        probably very few people could break unless the were very proficient in
        the field of code-breaking.

        I suppose one of the reasons it is very fast is, it doesn't do
        compression, but with the large size of hard disks and the small number
        of files one needs to encrypt it shouldn't be a problem.

        This is the link for 'FileScrambleR'-
        http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=351

        ºvº
        06.02.02
        "And your crybaby whiny-a--ed opinion would be...?"
        hrs ø hsavage@...
      • Lee Underwood
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
          Thanks! I'll check it out.

          I also like the blog. I have made a link to it in my RSS reader.

          Lee

          On 2/2/2006 03:18 PM, hsavage wrote:
          >Lee,
          >
          >I remember the discussion, shortly after I completed a clip to make it
          >easier to store selections in an ini file.
          >
          >The clip allows you to make a selection, from within NoteTab, run the
          >clip, choose a name for the inikey, and the selection is automatically
          >added to the inifile after you accept the prompted name or change it to
          >suit your needs.
          >
          >If you've made no selection you are presented with a Wizard containing
          >all the keynames in the inifile. You can either select 1 key or many.
          >Select to view, 1 at a time, in an info box or select to delete those
          >selected, or, if you select none the inifile is loaded into an edit
          >window for you to peruse, add, delete, edit all you want.
          >
          >I also wrote a clip that performs nearly identically but uses individual
          >disk files for storing data and no worrying about selection size, I
          >already have used it several times, currently for storing data about
          >commandline parameters for various software and various Dos commands.
          >
          >This is the link for the data storage clips-
          >http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=350

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
            Ed wrote:
            > hsavage helped me with a clip that worked for a long time. The hard
            drive was replaced. I Backed up Note Tab Pro but now there are only
            three clips there. Two never worked and I am sure the other one did. I
            am using XP Pro with 1 g of memory. I had to start NoteTab each morning
            in order for the signature to be changed. Nothing works now. Any ideas?

            > This is one:
            > ^!CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\'Edward Brown'\My
            Documents\signature.txt"

            There should be more to this line, the folder and file shown represent
            the source, the destination folder is missing.

            > The other which did not work:
            > ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
            > ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
            > ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%oldsig%"

            These 2 bits, or clips, are essentially the same, probably 2 attempts
            trying to accomplish the same task.

            > I found a third and this is it.
            > ^!SetDebug 0
            > ^!Set %newsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
            > ^!Set %oldsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"
            > ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%signature.txt%"
            >
            > Thanks
            > Ed

            Ed,

            If you recall, you should have had 32 signature files, 1 for each day of
            a 31 day month. The bulk of files were numbered as, signature01.txt
            thru signature31.txt. The 32nd file was signature.txt.

            The clip bits above were designed to copy a fresh quotation, numbered
            file, based on th day date, for each day to the file, signature.txt,
            giving you a fresh quote file each day of the month.

            Your browser was setup to always look at and use signature.txt as the
            sigline, wherever that file was located.

            If you can locate the numbered files, zip and send them to me I'll get
            it up and running for you again, from your comments above I'm assuming
            it did work at one time.

            Or, you could send fresh quotes, this clip and siglines has evolved into
            something quite a bit different now. I use 1 master quote file to store
            all the quotes in.