Re: [Clip] More on Using .INI Files

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      Lee Underwood wrote:
      > We had a discussion a while back on using .INI files for data input.
      > Don, you had given me a great deal of data input regarding that. I
      > use them now but had a question. Currently I am entering data
      > directly into the INI file (their different ones than the one NoteTab
      > Pro uses.) It seems to be easy to go to the field where I need to
      > enter data and paste it there. Is that how others do it or do you use
      > a wizard or combination?
      >
      > In using the .INI file, I have another text file that imports that
      > data for formatting it to be used for Web pages, newsletters, etc.
      >
      > Lee

      use a wizard that prompts you for the information
      and if you have an existing ini file you can preload the info and then
      only change the ones that are different

      for a great examples see the clip code buried in either the html page
      template

      hit file/template/edit (CAREFUL DON'T EDIT AND THEN SAVE WHAT YOU EDITED!)

      choose this file: HTML.tpl

      look in it and see how they work with the save and getvalue functions

      Then look at the css1.tpl file too. Use the set ini file command to set
      the "custom ini file name" that you want to work with.

      things from help for you to work with:
      ^!ProgIniLoad [IniName] (added in v4.6)
      Loads options from the NoteTab ini file or registry. Optionally, you can
      specify an alternative INI file (it must exist or else the command sets
      the error condition). Note that the [AutoLoad] section is ignored by
      this command.

      ^!ProgIniSave [IniName] (added in v4.6)
      Saves the current program settings into the NoteTab ini file or
      registry. Optionally, you can specify an alternative INI file (it is
      automatically created if it does not exist).

      ^$IsFileType("FileName";"extensions")$
      Returns 1 if the extension of FileName is listed in "extensions", or 0
      if turned off. Multiple extensions must be delimited with a comma. The
      following example returns 1:
      ^$IsFileType("c:\temp\MyFile.txt";"html,txt,otl,ini")

      If you want to preserve a variable's value even after closing NoteTab,
      you can store it in an INI file by using the "^!SaveValue" command and
      then restore it later by using the "^$GetValue()$" function.

      I am sure you can figure it out from there.
    • Ed
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
        hsavage helped me with a clip that worked for a long time. The hard drive was replaced. I Backed up Note Tab Pro but now there are only three clips there. Two never worked and I am sure the other one did. I am using XP Pro with 1 g of memory. I had to start NoteTab each morning in order for the signature to be changed. Nothing works now. Any ideas?

        This is one:
        ^!CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\'Edward Brown'\My Documents\signature.txt"

        The other which did not work:
        ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
        ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
        ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%oldsig%"

        I found a third and this is it.
        ^!SetDebug 0
        ^!Set %newsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
        ^!Set %oldsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"
        ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%signature.txt%"

        Thanks
        Ed

        We had a discussion a while back on using .INI files for data input.
        Don, you had given me a great deal of data input regarding that. I
        use them now but had a question. Currently I am entering data
        directly into the INI file (their different ones than the one NoteTab
        Pro uses.) It seems to be easy to go to the field where I need to
        enter data and paste it there. Is that how others do it or do you use
        a wizard or combination?

        In using the .INI file, I have another text file that imports that
        data for formatting it to be used for Web pages, newsletters, etc.

        Lee

        Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
          Lee Underwood wrote:
          > We had a discussion a while back on using .INI files for data input.
          > Don, you had given me a great deal of data input regarding that. I
          > use them now but had a question. Currently I am entering data
          > directly into the INI file (their different ones than the one NoteTab
          > Pro uses.) It seems to be easy to go to the field where I need to
          > enter data and paste it there. Is that how others do it or do you use
          > a wizard or combination?
          >
          > In using the .INI file, I have another text file that imports that
          > data for formatting it to be used for Web pages, newsletters, etc.
          >
          > Lee

          Lee,

          I remember the discussion, shortly after I completed a clip to make it
          easier to store selections in an ini file.

          The clip allows you to make a selection, from within NoteTab, run the
          clip, choose a name for the inikey, and the selection is automatically
          added to the inifile after you accept the prompted name or change it to
          suit your needs.

          If you've made no selection you are presented with a Wizard containing
          all the keynames in the inifile. You can either select 1 key or many.
          Select to view, 1 at a time, in an info box or select to delete those
          selected, or, if you select none the inifile is loaded into an edit
          window for you to peruse, add, delete, edit all you want.

          I also wrote a clip that performs nearly identically but uses individual
          disk files for storing data and no worrying about selection size, I
          already have used it several times, currently for storing data about
          commandline parameters for various software and various Dos commands.

          This is the link for the data storage clips-
          http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=350

          For the other discussion, started by Ray S., about encrypting files on
          your computer I wrote a clip around the ^!FileScramble command. It
          works very nicely and is very fast and gives a level of encryption that
          probably very few people could break unless the were very proficient in
          the field of code-breaking.

          I suppose one of the reasons it is very fast is, it doesn't do
          compression, but with the large size of hard disks and the small number
          of files one needs to encrypt it shouldn't be a problem.

          This is the link for 'FileScrambleR'-
          http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=351

          ºvº
          06.02.02
          "And your crybaby whiny-a--ed opinion would be...?"
          hrs ø hsavage@...
        • Lee Underwood
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
            Thanks! I'll check it out.

            I also like the blog. I have made a link to it in my RSS reader.

            Lee

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
              Ed wrote:
              > hsavage helped me with a clip that worked for a long time. The hard
              drive was replaced. I Backed up Note Tab Pro but now there are only
              three clips there. Two never worked and I am sure the other one did. I
              am using XP Pro with 1 g of memory. I had to start NoteTab each morning
              in order for the signature to be changed. Nothing works now. Any ideas?

              > This is one:
              > ^!CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\'Edward Brown'\My
              Documents\signature.txt"

              There should be more to this line, the folder and file shown represent
              the source, the destination folder is missing.

              > The other which did not work:
              > ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
              > ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
              > ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%oldsig%"

              These 2 bits, or clips, are essentially the same, probably 2 attempts
              trying to accomplish the same task.

              > I found a third and this is it.
              > ^!SetDebug 0
              > ^!Set %newsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
              > ^!Set %oldsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"
              > ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%signature.txt%"
              >
              > Thanks
              > Ed

              Ed,

              If you recall, you should have had 32 signature files, 1 for each day of
              a 31 day month. The bulk of files were numbered as, signature01.txt
              thru signature31.txt. The 32nd file was signature.txt.

              The clip bits above were designed to copy a fresh quotation, numbered
              file, based on th day date, for each day to the file, signature.txt,
              giving you a fresh quote file each day of the month.

              Your browser was setup to always look at and use signature.txt as the
              sigline, wherever that file was located.

              If you can locate the numbered files, zip and send them to me I'll get
              it up and running for you again, from your comments above I'm assuming
              it did work at one time.

              Or, you could send fresh quotes, this clip and siglines has evolved into
              something quite a bit different now. I use 1 master quote file to store
              all the quotes in.