More on Using .INI Files

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      We had a discussion a while back on using .INI files for data input.
      Don, you had given me a great deal of data input regarding that. I
      use them now but had a question. Currently I am entering data
      directly into the INI file (their different ones than the one NoteTab
      Pro uses.) It seems to be easy to go to the field where I need to
      enter data and paste it there. Is that how others do it or do you use
      a wizard or combination?

      In using the .INI file, I have another text file that imports that
      data for formatting it to be used for Web pages, newsletters, etc.

      Lee

    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
        Lee Underwood wrote:
        > We had a discussion a while back on using .INI files for data input.
        > Don, you had given me a great deal of data input regarding that. I
        > use them now but had a question. Currently I am entering data
        > directly into the INI file (their different ones than the one NoteTab
        > Pro uses.) It seems to be easy to go to the field where I need to
        > enter data and paste it there. Is that how others do it or do you use
        > a wizard or combination?
        >
        > In using the .INI file, I have another text file that imports that
        > data for formatting it to be used for Web pages, newsletters, etc.
        >
        > Lee

        use a wizard that prompts you for the information
        and if you have an existing ini file you can preload the info and then
        only change the ones that are different

        for a great examples see the clip code buried in either the html page
        template

        hit file/template/edit (CAREFUL DON'T EDIT AND THEN SAVE WHAT YOU EDITED!)

        choose this file: HTML.tpl

        look in it and see how they work with the save and getvalue functions

        Then look at the css1.tpl file too. Use the set ini file command to set
        the "custom ini file name" that you want to work with.

        things from help for you to work with:
        ^!ProgIniLoad [IniName] (added in v4.6)
        Loads options from the NoteTab ini file or registry. Optionally, you can
        specify an alternative INI file (it must exist or else the command sets
        the error condition). Note that the [AutoLoad] section is ignored by
        this command.

        ^!ProgIniSave [IniName] (added in v4.6)
        Saves the current program settings into the NoteTab ini file or
        registry. Optionally, you can specify an alternative INI file (it is
        automatically created if it does not exist).

        ^$IsFileType("FileName";"extensions")$
        Returns 1 if the extension of FileName is listed in "extensions", or 0
        if turned off. Multiple extensions must be delimited with a comma. The
        following example returns 1:
        ^$IsFileType("c:\temp\MyFile.txt";"html,txt,otl,ini")

        If you want to preserve a variable's value even after closing NoteTab,
        you can store it in an INI file by using the "^!SaveValue" command and
        then restore it later by using the "^$GetValue()$" function.

        I am sure you can figure it out from there.
      • Ed
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
          hsavage helped me with a clip that worked for a long time. The hard drive was replaced. I Backed up Note Tab Pro but now there are only three clips there. Two never worked and I am sure the other one did. I am using XP Pro with 1 g of memory. I had to start NoteTab each morning in order for the signature to be changed. Nothing works now. Any ideas?

          This is one:
          ^!CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\'Edward Brown'\My Documents\signature.txt"

          The other which did not work:
          ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
          ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
          ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%oldsig%"

          I found a third and this is it.
          ^!SetDebug 0
          ^!Set %newsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
          ^!Set %oldsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"
          ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%signature.txt%"

          Thanks
          Ed

          We had a discussion a while back on using .INI files for data input.
          Don, you had given me a great deal of data input regarding that. I
          use them now but had a question. Currently I am entering data
          directly into the INI file (their different ones than the one NoteTab
          Pro uses.) It seems to be easy to go to the field where I need to
          enter data and paste it there. Is that how others do it or do you use
          a wizard or combination?

          In using the .INI file, I have another text file that imports that
          data for formatting it to be used for Web pages, newsletters, etc.

          Lee

          Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
            Lee Underwood wrote:
            > We had a discussion a while back on using .INI files for data input.
            > Don, you had given me a great deal of data input regarding that. I
            > use them now but had a question. Currently I am entering data
            > directly into the INI file (their different ones than the one NoteTab
            > Pro uses.) It seems to be easy to go to the field where I need to
            > enter data and paste it there. Is that how others do it or do you use
            > a wizard or combination?
            >
            > In using the .INI file, I have another text file that imports that
            > data for formatting it to be used for Web pages, newsletters, etc.
            >
            > Lee

            Lee,

            I remember the discussion, shortly after I completed a clip to make it
            easier to store selections in an ini file.

            The clip allows you to make a selection, from within NoteTab, run the
            clip, choose a name for the inikey, and the selection is automatically
            added to the inifile after you accept the prompted name or change it to
            suit your needs.

            If you've made no selection you are presented with a Wizard containing
            all the keynames in the inifile. You can either select 1 key or many.
            Select to view, 1 at a time, in an info box or select to delete those
            selected, or, if you select none the inifile is loaded into an edit
            window for you to peruse, add, delete, edit all you want.

            I also wrote a clip that performs nearly identically but uses individual
            disk files for storing data and no worrying about selection size, I
            already have used it several times, currently for storing data about
            commandline parameters for various software and various Dos commands.

            This is the link for the data storage clips-
            http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=350

            For the other discussion, started by Ray S., about encrypting files on
            your computer I wrote a clip around the ^!FileScramble command. It
            works very nicely and is very fast and gives a level of encryption that
            probably very few people could break unless the were very proficient in
            the field of code-breaking.

            I suppose one of the reasons it is very fast is, it doesn't do
            compression, but with the large size of hard disks and the small number
            of files one needs to encrypt it shouldn't be a problem.

            This is the link for 'FileScrambleR'-
            http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=351

            ºvº
            06.02.02
            "And your crybaby whiny-a--ed opinion would be...?"
            hrs ø hsavage@...
          • Lee Underwood
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
              Thanks! I'll check it out.

              I also like the blog. I have made a link to it in my RSS reader.

              Lee

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
                Ed wrote:
                > hsavage helped me with a clip that worked for a long time. The hard
                drive was replaced. I Backed up Note Tab Pro but now there are only
                three clips there. Two never worked and I am sure the other one did. I
                am using XP Pro with 1 g of memory. I had to start NoteTab each morning
                in order for the signature to be changed. Nothing works now. Any ideas?

                > This is one:
                > ^!CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\'Edward Brown'\My
                Documents\signature.txt"

                There should be more to this line, the folder and file shown represent
                the source, the destination folder is missing.

                > The other which did not work:
                > ^!Set %newsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt
                > ^!Set %oldsig%=^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt
                > ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%oldsig%"

                These 2 bits, or clips, are essentially the same, probably 2 attempts
                trying to accomplish the same task.

                > I found a third and this is it.
                > ^!SetDebug 0
                > ^!Set %newsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature^[dd^].txt"
                > ^!Set %oldsig%="^$GetShellFolder(Personal)$signature.txt"
                > ^!CopyFile "^%newsig%" "^%signature.txt%"
                >
                > Thanks
                > Ed

                Ed,

                If you recall, you should have had 32 signature files, 1 for each day of
                a 31 day month. The bulk of files were numbered as, signature01.txt
                thru signature31.txt. The 32nd file was signature.txt.

                The clip bits above were designed to copy a fresh quotation, numbered
                file, based on th day date, for each day to the file, signature.txt,
                giving you a fresh quote file each day of the month.

                Your browser was setup to always look at and use signature.txt as the
                sigline, wherever that file was located.

                If you can locate the numbered files, zip and send them to me I'll get
                it up and running for you again, from your comments above I'm assuming
                it did work at one time.

                Or, you could send fresh quotes, this clip and siglines has evolved into
                something quite a bit different now. I use 1 master quote file to store
                all the quotes in.