Re: [Clip] Encrypting Entire Subfolders

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi Harvey,

      Thank you for going to the trouble of downloading the WinRAR trial program.

      <<After one becomes familiar with it ease of use would probably improve. >>

      I use only a small part of its functionality, and I am still not too
      proficient with it. That's why I want to automate its use so I can just
      invoke a clip to do the detail work.

      <<The ^! preceding the Winrar command is the old way of doing the ^!Shell
      command.>>

      What's the advantage of ^!shell over ^! ? I read the Help entries, and they
      seem identical.

      Thanks again.

      Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hi Harv and Ray,

        >It appears Jody is familiar with WinRar. The command line he supplied
        >looks like it should work to add files to an archive, recurse
        >directories, and supply the password

        I own a license to use, but do not use it. I just got the
        commandline from Ray's message. If not mentioned, you could use
        NoteTab commands/functions to encrypt the un/pw. :)

        Happy Tab'n,
        Jody Adair

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
          R Shapp wrote:
          > Hi Harvey,
          >
          > Thank you for going to the trouble of downloading the WinRAR trial
          program.

          > <<After one becomes familiar with it ease of use would probably
          improve. >>

          > I use only a small part of its functionality, and I am still not too
          > proficient with it. That's why I want to automate its use so I can just
          > invoke a clip to do the detail work.

          Most of us do settle for a small part of functionality. Great numbers
          of commandline options are nice at times but do create a sharp learning
          curve. There only program I've seen, so far, with many more commandline
          options is XXcopy.

          > <<The ^! preceding the Winrar command is the old way of doing the ^!Shell
          > command.>>
          >
          > What's the advantage of ^!shell over ^! ? I read the Help entries,
          and they
          > seem identical.
          >
          > Thanks again.
          >
          > Ray Shapp

          Ray,

          I don't think there is an advantage, other than it's more descriptive of
          the action and easier for the average user to understand when reading
          through a clip. I prefer ^!Shell but that's an individual thing.

          ºvº
          06.02.01
          "A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door."
          hrs ø hsavage@...
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
            Hi Ray,

            >This thing runs lightening fast. ...and, to my amazement, it worked!
            >Apparently, ^! inserts what follows into the DOS box and runs it. I may never
            >write another Batch file again!
            >
            >I will want to use this for lots of other jobs in future. Where in Clip Help
            >can I read about ^! ? I see dozens of commands that begin with ^!, but I
            >don't see a listing for ^! alone.
            >
            >NoteTab is amazing!

            ;)

            Look in the regular Help | Reference | Tools | Editor Clipbook |
            Clip Basics. It does not actually explain ^!, but you can get a
            closer look for ideas to use ^!.

            Also click on Help | Help on Clipbook Programming and read "Clip
            Language - Introduction"

            Also, search for "^!" without the quotes in my Clipbook
            Programming Tutorial:

            The following is a download for a Clipbook programming tutorial
            designed to walk you through Clip writing. It includes "Getting
            Started" (which is a web page with a number of images displaying
            different parts of NoteTab that deals with Clipbooks), making a
            Clipbook Library, adding Clips, and editing Clips, on to more
            difficult Clip writing. Be sure to read the Introduction also.
            Open ClipTut.clb and then click on the ClipTut.otl Outline Clip
            to open the Outline.

            All the contents of the zip files go in NoteTab's Libraries
            folder. http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip

            Useful links...

            http://www.notetab.net http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
            http://www.fookes.us

            http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb
            You might find some of the following links useful...

            + Various Documents and Jody's NoteTab Site
            + Clipbook/Clip Tutorial, Write Your Own Clips!
            + Online FAQ and Download in Outline Format
            + Aid4Mail
            + Discussion Mailing Lists

            Extra Help for NoteTab's Clipbar (and basic Clip editing)
            http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm

            The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
            Clipbook Repository: http://www.notetab.com/libraries.php

            NoteTab's Comparison Chart
            http://www.notetab.net/html/chart.htm

            Clipbook Clip Writing Tutorial by Jody Adair
            http://www.notetab.net/html/cliptut.htm <-- Coming in the future...
            http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip <-- Available now!
            (Unzip/extract to NoteTab's Libraries folder.)

            From the NoteTab Fookes Software Support Desk by Jody Adair
            http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb <-- Online Now!!!...
            http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb/faq-ntb.otl.zip <-- Outline format...
            From the Fookes Software Support Desk (mbg,a4m, etc.) <-- Coming in the future...

            All You Want and do Not Want to Know About the NoteTab Upgrade Procedure :)
            http://www.notetab.net/html/howupdate.htm

            CD-ROM Information
            http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

            The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (my personal NoteTab site)
            Get many useful free Clips and Libraries: http://www.notetab.net

            Other software that you may find useful; I use the most of it
            daily. They are at my affiliates site:

            Sojourner's Five Wink Software: http://www.sojourner.us/software

            A lot of it integrates directly and seamlessly in NoteTab like
            the most excellent thesaurus WordWeb! (freeware and shareware
            versions - it replaces NoteTab's so that when you press F11 it
            brings up the word that the cursor is on. It is a must download!)

            Other software that integrates with NoteTab is CSE HTML
            Validator, a must have for web page authors, and TopStyle, a CSS
            editor; freeware and shareware versions available too! Both work
            off NoteTab's Tools menu and customizable shortcuts can be made
            for them. When CSE HTML Validator is used a Clipbook Library is
            created that has the Clips for the errors, warnings, messages,
            and when you click on one it brings you right to the line with
            the problem. There's a number of other excellent software
            programs listed there as well. Thanks for taking the time to
            visit it:

            Sojourner'$ Five Wink $oftware: http://www.sojourner.us/software ;)

            Convert and Archive your eMail - over 20 email formats supported!
            http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail (Jody'$ Affiliate $ite, Tutorial's Coming!)

            Fookes Software Products Page
            http://www.fookes.us (Jody'$ Affiliate $ite) thanks much!!! :)

            You might want to check out the CD contents and other
            useful information below.

            PayPal Pay Now!
            When buying from...
            a checking account, please send to: Sales@...
            https://www.paypal.com/affil/pal=sales@...

            a credit card, or outside USA send to: Jody@...
            https://www.paypal.com/affil/pal=jody@...

            CD-ROMs Loaded With MB and Are Very Useful
            ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
            The CD-ROMs for our products have lots of extras on them
            including: very useful freeware and shareware, extra HTML help
            for beginners, an excellent Clip writing tutorial, other short
            tutorials, third party products that work seamlessly with
            NoteTab... You can get more than one registered program on the
            same CD at no extra charge, even if you already registered the
            products; see "cd-info.htm" and "onthiscd.htm" below for details
            and the contents of the CDs.

            Ordering Information: Price, CD build type...
            http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
            Programs, Utilities, Helps, Clip Tutorial...
            http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm
            Third Party Products: Freeware and Shareware...
            http://www.notetab.net/html/tpp-readthis.htm
            Order Fookes Software through me (on/off CD)...
            http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448

            PayPal
            http://www.notetab.net/html/paypal-fs.htm

            Fast, Courteous, Very Useful Discussion Mailing Lists
            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

            The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
            ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
            The site (http://www.notetab.net) is one of my personal web
            sites. You can get a lot of useful Libraries and some great Clips
            there on a page named Snatch-A-Clip.

            http://www.notetab.net/html/snatchclp.htm
            http://www.notetab.net/html/html/library.htm

            http://www.sojourner.us/software
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
              Hi Ray and All,

              ><<The ^! preceding the Winrar command is the old way of doing the ^!Shell
              >command.>>
              >
              >What's the advantage of ^!shell over ^! ? I read the Help entries, and they
              >seem identical.

              Oops, I forget that a lot. Came up in the old school! :) ^!Shell
              is suppose to be better to use according to Eric. Something to
              the effect that it is more reliable than just "^!" without the
              quotes, but I have never had a problem leaving the "Shell" out
              myself and only use is sometimes for a public Clip when I
              remember. The correct method is ^!Shell though. <g>

              http://www.sojourner.us/software