Re: [Clip] Encrypting Entire Subfolders

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2006
      R Shapp wrote:
      > Hi Jody, Harvey, bobbit:
      >
      > Thank you for your replies. Answering the simpler questions first:
      >

      > hrs said>>
      > For my curiosity, is this command line entered into a Dos box prompt?
      > It appears to have a redirection arrow > in it, is that correct?
      >
      > C:\Documents and Settings\RAS>c:\"program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc
      > -r test C:\temp\*.*
      > The line above does not contain a redirection arrow.

      I see, it's part of your dos prompt. You opened the dos box in that folder.

      > Jody said>>
      > Simply run a Clip: ^!"c:\program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc -r test
      > C:\temp\*.*
      > This thing runs lightening fast. ...and, to my amazement, it worked!
      > Apparently, ^! inserts what follows into the DOS box and runs it. I
      may never
      > write another Batch file again!

      The ^! preceding the Winrar command is the old way of doing the ^!Shell
      command.

      ^!Shell "c:\program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc -r test C:\temp\*.*

      This line should work identically, look up ^!Shell in NoteTab Help.

      > I will want to use this for lots of other jobs in future. Where in
      Clip Help
      > can I read about ^! ? I see dozens of commands that begin with ^!, but I
      > don't see a listing for ^! alone.

      ^! is in help, under ^!CommandLine, it represents ^!"c:\program
      files\winrar\winrar", but as I said, it's the old way of using ^!Shell

      > NoteTab is amazing!
      >
      > Ray Shapp

      Ray,

      I downloaded a trial version of Winrar. After one becomes familiar with
      it ease of use would probably improve. The GUI provides lots of
      options, too many for me.

      For something like you're doing I use my file manager, it supports
      zipping and password protection if desired.

      ºvº
      06.01.31
      -Newspaper HeadLine-
      "Never Withhold Herpes Infection from Loved One"
      hrs ø hsavage@...
    • R Shapp
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hi Harvey,

        Thank you for going to the trouble of downloading the WinRAR trial program.

        <<After one becomes familiar with it ease of use would probably improve. >>

        I use only a small part of its functionality, and I am still not too
        proficient with it. That's why I want to automate its use so I can just
        invoke a clip to do the detail work.

        <<The ^! preceding the Winrar command is the old way of doing the ^!Shell
        command.>>

        What's the advantage of ^!shell over ^! ? I read the Help entries, and they
        seem identical.

        Thanks again.

        Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
          Hi Harv and Ray,

          >It appears Jody is familiar with WinRar. The command line he supplied
          >looks like it should work to add files to an archive, recurse
          >directories, and supply the password

          I own a license to use, but do not use it. I just got the
          commandline from Ray's message. If not mentioned, you could use
          NoteTab commands/functions to encrypt the un/pw. :)

          Happy Tab'n,
          Jody Adair

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
            R Shapp wrote:
            > Hi Harvey,
            >
            > Thank you for going to the trouble of downloading the WinRAR trial
            program.

            > <<After one becomes familiar with it ease of use would probably
            improve. >>

            > I use only a small part of its functionality, and I am still not too
            > proficient with it. That's why I want to automate its use so I can just
            > invoke a clip to do the detail work.

            Most of us do settle for a small part of functionality. Great numbers
            of commandline options are nice at times but do create a sharp learning
            curve. There only program I've seen, so far, with many more commandline
            options is XXcopy.

            > <<The ^! preceding the Winrar command is the old way of doing the ^!Shell
            > command.>>
            >
            > What's the advantage of ^!shell over ^! ? I read the Help entries,
            and they
            > seem identical.
            >
            > Thanks again.
            >
            > Ray Shapp

            Ray,

            I don't think there is an advantage, other than it's more descriptive of
            the action and easier for the average user to understand when reading
            through a clip. I prefer ^!Shell but that's an individual thing.

            ºvº
            06.02.01
            "A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door."
            hrs ø hsavage@...
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
              Hi Ray,

              >This thing runs lightening fast. ...and, to my amazement, it worked!
              >Apparently, ^! inserts what follows into the DOS box and runs it. I may never
              >write another Batch file again!
              >
              >I will want to use this for lots of other jobs in future. Where in Clip Help
              >can I read about ^! ? I see dozens of commands that begin with ^!, but I
              >don't see a listing for ^! alone.
              >
              >NoteTab is amazing!

              ;)

              Look in the regular Help | Reference | Tools | Editor Clipbook |
              Clip Basics. It does not actually explain ^!, but you can get a
              closer look for ideas to use ^!.

              Also click on Help | Help on Clipbook Programming and read "Clip
              Language - Introduction"

              Also, search for "^!" without the quotes in my Clipbook
              Programming Tutorial:

              The following is a download for a Clipbook programming tutorial
              designed to walk you through Clip writing. It includes "Getting
              Started" (which is a web page with a number of images displaying
              different parts of NoteTab that deals with Clipbooks), making a
              Clipbook Library, adding Clips, and editing Clips, on to more
              difficult Clip writing. Be sure to read the Introduction also.
              Open ClipTut.clb and then click on the ClipTut.otl Outline Clip
              to open the Outline.

              All the contents of the zip files go in NoteTab's Libraries
              folder. http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip

              Useful links...

              http://www.notetab.net http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
              http://www.fookes.us

              http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb
              You might find some of the following links useful...

              + Various Documents and Jody's NoteTab Site
              + Clipbook/Clip Tutorial, Write Your Own Clips!
              + Online FAQ and Download in Outline Format
              + Aid4Mail
              + Discussion Mailing Lists

              Extra Help for NoteTab's Clipbar (and basic Clip editing)
              http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm

              The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
              Clipbook Repository: http://www.notetab.com/libraries.php

              NoteTab's Comparison Chart
              http://www.notetab.net/html/chart.htm

              Clipbook Clip Writing Tutorial by Jody Adair
              http://www.notetab.net/html/cliptut.htm <-- Coming in the future...
              http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip <-- Available now!
              (Unzip/extract to NoteTab's Libraries folder.)

              From the NoteTab Fookes Software Support Desk by Jody Adair
              http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb <-- Online Now!!!...
              http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb/faq-ntb.otl.zip <-- Outline format...
              From the Fookes Software Support Desk (mbg,a4m, etc.) <-- Coming in the future...

              All You Want and do Not Want to Know About the NoteTab Upgrade Procedure :)
              http://www.notetab.net/html/howupdate.htm

              CD-ROM Information
              http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

              The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (my personal NoteTab site)
              Get many useful free Clips and Libraries: http://www.notetab.net

              Other software that you may find useful; I use the most of it
              daily. They are at my affiliates site:

              Sojourner's Five Wink Software: http://www.sojourner.us/software

              A lot of it integrates directly and seamlessly in NoteTab like
              the most excellent thesaurus WordWeb! (freeware and shareware
              versions - it replaces NoteTab's so that when you press F11 it
              brings up the word that the cursor is on. It is a must download!)

              Other software that integrates with NoteTab is CSE HTML
              Validator, a must have for web page authors, and TopStyle, a CSS
              editor; freeware and shareware versions available too! Both work
              off NoteTab's Tools menu and customizable shortcuts can be made
              for them. When CSE HTML Validator is used a Clipbook Library is
              created that has the Clips for the errors, warnings, messages,
              and when you click on one it brings you right to the line with
              the problem. There's a number of other excellent software
              programs listed there as well. Thanks for taking the time to
              visit it:

              Sojourner'$ Five Wink $oftware: http://www.sojourner.us/software ;)

              Convert and Archive your eMail - over 20 email formats supported!
              http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail (Jody'$ Affiliate $ite, Tutorial's Coming!)

              Fookes Software Products Page
              http://www.fookes.us (Jody'$ Affiliate $ite) thanks much!!! :)

              You might want to check out the CD contents and other
              useful information below.

              PayPal Pay Now!
              When buying from...
              a checking account, please send to: Sales@...
              https://www.paypal.com/affil/pal=sales@...

              a credit card, or outside USA send to: Jody@...
              https://www.paypal.com/affil/pal=jody@...

              CD-ROMs Loaded With MB and Are Very Useful
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
              The CD-ROMs for our products have lots of extras on them
              including: very useful freeware and shareware, extra HTML help
              for beginners, an excellent Clip writing tutorial, other short
              tutorials, third party products that work seamlessly with
              NoteTab... You can get more than one registered program on the
              same CD at no extra charge, even if you already registered the
              products; see "cd-info.htm" and "onthiscd.htm" below for details
              and the contents of the CDs.

              Ordering Information: Price, CD build type...
              http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
              Programs, Utilities, Helps, Clip Tutorial...
              http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm
              Third Party Products: Freeware and Shareware...
              http://www.notetab.net/html/tpp-readthis.htm
              Order Fookes Software through me (on/off CD)...
              http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448

              PayPal
              http://www.notetab.net/html/paypal-fs.htm

              Fast, Courteous, Very Useful Discussion Mailing Lists
              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

              The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
              The site (http://www.notetab.net) is one of my personal web
              sites. You can get a lot of useful Libraries and some great Clips
              there on a page named Snatch-A-Clip.

              http://www.notetab.net/html/snatchclp.htm
              http://www.notetab.net/html/html/library.htm

              http://www.sojourner.us/software
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
                Hi Ray and All,

                ><<The ^! preceding the Winrar command is the old way of doing the ^!Shell
                >command.>>
                >
                >What's the advantage of ^!shell over ^! ? I read the Help entries, and they
                >seem identical.

                Oops, I forget that a lot. Came up in the old school! :) ^!Shell
                is suppose to be better to use according to Eric. Something to
                the effect that it is more reliable than just "^!" without the
                quotes, but I have never had a problem leaving the "Shell" out
                myself and only use is sometimes for a public Clip when I
                remember. The correct method is ^!Shell though. <g>

                http://www.sojourner.us/software