Encrypting Entire Subfolders

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 28, 2006
      Hi Group,

      Does anyone know of an existing clip that can be used for encrypting and
      decrypting an entire subfolder? The clip in the Utilities clip library is
      good for use on a single file at a time. Also, the Help system says it uses
      an encryption tool that isn't too secure.

      My operating system is WinXP Home. The contents of the subfolder are
      currently an Access database and a few text files. In future, we might be
      adding Word documents and/or Excel spreadsheets.to the subfolder.

      In operation, it would be good if the clip would decrypt the subfolder giving
      full access to all the files. The reverse operation should protect all the
      files in the subfolder.

      I use WinRar to make password-protected archives now. If the existing clip
      uses a different archiving tool, I'd be willing to work with that if modifying
      the clip for WinRar is too complicated.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 28, 2006
        R Shapp wrote:
        > Hi Group,
        >
        > Does anyone know of an existing clip that can be used for encrypting and
        > decrypting an entire subfolder? The clip in the Utilities clip
        library is
        > good for use on a single file at a time. Also, the Help system says
        it uses
        > an encryption tool that isn't too secure.
        >
        > My operating system is WinXP Home. The contents of the subfolder are
        > currently an Access database and a few text files. In future, we
        might be
        > adding Word documents and/or Excel spreadsheets.to the subfolder.
        >
        > In operation, it would be good if the clip would decrypt the
        subfolder giving
        > full access to all the files. The reverse operation should protect
        all the
        > files in the subfolder.
        >
        > I use WinRar to make password-protected archives now. If the
        existing clip
        > uses a different archiving tool, I'd be willing to work with that if
        modifying
        > the clip for WinRar is too complicated.
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > Ray Shapp

        Ray,

        NoteTab, as far as I know doesn't have a folder encrypting/decrypting.
        I think it would have to encrypt individual files. Does the WinRar
        encryption function work with commandline parameters?

        If so, can you supply those, and the base folder of your WinRar? I
        don't have or use WinRar, I do have PkZip and it does have a commandline
        'password protection' utility interface but I've never used it so know
        nothing about.

        The Rar method will probably be as secure as anything internally in
        NoteTab. With the above info an encrypting/decrypting clip should be
        relatively easy. Possibly one of the list members already has such a
        clip for WinRar.

        ºvº
        06.01.28
        -Newspaper HeadLine-
        "Lung Cancer in Women Mushrooms"
        hrs ø hsavage@...
      • R Shapp
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 29, 2006
          Hi Harvey,

          Thanks for the quick reply.

          WinRAR does support command line syntax, and it has numerous options and
          switches which should allow password protection of entire contents of a
          subfolder.

          Below my signature is what the Help system says about Command Line Syntax.
          Following that, I have included the info about the Set Password switch. An
          example is included which appears to be exactly what I need.

          The base folder of the WinRar executable is C:\Program
          Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe

          I was successful in encrypting a subfolder using the command line syntax to
          see how it works before attempting to automate it in a clip. It was necessary
          to enclose part of the command in quotation marks as follows:

          C:\Documents and Settings\RAS>c:\"program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc -r
          test C:\temp\*.*

          That resulted in the test.rar archive being created in the C:\Documents and
          Settings\RAS folder. I was then able to extract all the files from the
          test.rar archive using the abc password.. I'm pretty sure I can tweak the
          process in order to extract individual specific files rather than the entire
          subfolder if that were desired.

          Thank you for your help.

          Ray Shapp

          ***From WinRar Help***

          Command Line Syntax
          It is possible to perform WinRAR commands from the command line. Common
          command line syntax is described below:

          WinRAR <command> -<switch1> -<switchN> <archive> <files...> <@listfiles...>
          <path_to_extract\>

          command Character combination denoted function to be performed by WinRAR

          switch Switches used to define a specific type of operation, compression
          strength, type of archive, etc.

          archive The name of the archive to process.

          Files The name(s) of files to be processed.

          Listfiles Listfiles are plain text files contained names of files to process.
          File names should start at the first column. It is possible to put comments to
          the listfile after // characters. For example, you may create backup.lst
          containing the following strings: c:\work\doc\*.txt //backup text documents
          c:\work\image\*.bmp //backup pictures c:\work\miscand then run:
          winrar a backup @... may specify both usual file names and list
          files in the same command line.

          Path_to_extract Used only with commands e and x, indicating the folder in
          which to place extracted files. If this folder does not exist, it will be
          created.

          Switch -p[pwd] -- Set Password

          Set a password <pwd> to encrypt files during archiving or to decrypt during
          extracting. The password is case-sensitive. If you omit the password in the
          command line, you will be prompted to enter it.

          In the shell mode a password may be entered through Enter default password
          dialog or in the Archive name and parameters dialog.

          Example:
          add the contents of the folder "games" to the archive "secret", using the
          password ZaBaToAd

          WinRAR a -pZaBaToAd -r secret games\*.*
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 29, 2006
            Hi Ray,

            >Does anyone know of an existing clip that can be used for
            >encrypting and decrypting an entire subfolder? The clip in the
            >Utilities clip library is good for use on a single file at a
            >time. Also, the Help system says it uses an encryption tool that
            >isn't too secure.

            NoteTab uses a few different levels on encryption. The one you
            looked at was I suppose ^!FileScramble which uses, "The encryption
            algorithm is based on RC4 ("RC4" is a trademark of RSA Data
            Security, Inc.). You should not rely on this feature to protect
            very sensitive data."

            Using these functions gives the best encryption (below). Anything
            can be cracked eventually from what I hear. There are already
            some working examples in the Utility Libraries. You might try
            altering some of the Clips in my DirStuff that can either
            GetFileText or open and close files one at a time in a directory.
            In the loop part of the Clip is where it goes through a file at a
            time. That is where you would add your code.

            ^$StrDecrypt("Text";[Key])$ (added in v4.84) Decrypts text
            encrypted with the ^$StrEncrypt("Text";[Key])$ function. You must
            use the same encryption key to decrypt the text. Example:
            ^$StrDecrypt("^$GetSelection$";"^?[key=My secret password]")$

            ^$StrEncrypt("Text";[Key])$ (added in v4.84)
            Provides stronger text encryption than ROT13. Use the optional
            "Key" parameter to define an encryption password (maximum 255
            characters and case sensitive). Make sure you don't forget the
            key you used with this function, otherwise you may never be able
            to retrieve your encrypted text. Note that although the
            encryption algorithm is very good, there is no guarantee that it
            can't be cracked. You should not rely on it to protect very
            sensitive data. Example:
            ^$StrEncrypt("^$GetSelection$";"^?[key=My secret password]")$

            You could also keep a list separate filenames of the encrypted
            text and use names like spacer.gif, clouds.jpg, dot.png, etc. so
            that it is not so obvious. Or, you could encrypt the filenames as
            well. There's passwords to use also, and if you want to keep the
            really secure, keep the on like a USB memory stick - just
            remember to take it out when not using. I'm quite sure that you
            can keep at least most all people from getting to it if it so
            sensitive that if just cannot be found by anybody, you would
            definitely want to keep it on removable media.

            http://www.sojourner.us/software
          • R Shapp
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 30, 2006
              Hi Jody,

              Thanks for the suggestions.

              I'm currently trying to invoke the functions built into WinRAR. As I said in
              my reply to Harvey, the command line (following) does exactly what I need>>>

              C:\Documents and Settings\RAS>c:\"program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc -r
              test C:\temp\*.*

              Where "abc" is the sample password, "C:\temp" is the unprotected folder, and
              "test.rar" is the resulting encrypted archive.

              The command line above archives the entire folder at once.

              WinRAR also provides command line switches for invoking various levels of
              tougher encryption. In my case, the data is not really very sensitive, but I
              do want to avoid wide open access.

              I'm trying to activate WinRAR by using ^!Keyboard Keys and ^!PlayBack Keys,
              but so far none of my tries have worked. Maybe I need one or more different
              functions. I need to activate the DOS shell, and run the above command line
              in it. Does NoteTab have a way to insert commands into the WinXP Run CMD box?

              Another idea that I haven't tried yet is to write a Batch file which will
              invoke the WinRAR executable. Actually, I need two Batch files. One to
              extract the encrypted files, and another one to re-encrypt the folder after I
              have worked with the protected files.

              Regards,

              Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 30, 2006
                Hi Ray,

                >I'm currently trying to invoke the functions built into WinRAR. As I said in
                >my reply to Harvey, the command line (following) does exactly what I need>>>

                OK, missed it.

                > C:\Documents and Settings\RAS>c:\"program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc -r
                >test C:\temp\*.*

                Simply run a Clip: ^!"c:\program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc -r test C:\temp\*.*

                >I'm trying to activate WinRAR by using ^!Keyboard Keys and
                >^!PlayBack Keys, but so far none of my tries have worked. Maybe
                >I need one or more different functions. I need to activate the
                >DOS shell, and run the above command line in it. Does NoteTab
                >have a way to insert commands into the WinXP Run CMD box?

                Yes, but some programs may be difficult to do depending on
                shortcuts and titlebar names used. I've never tried a DOS console
                box myself, but once you get the box focused (and assuming that
                it is sitting there waiting on input), the try Alt+Spacebar and
                then perhaps Down (as many as needed to get to the Paste/Insert
                whatever it is) the Enter all using the ^!Keyboard command.

                >Another idea that I haven't tried yet is to write a Batch file
                >which will invoke the WinRAR executable. Actually, I need two
                >Batch files. One to extract the encrypted files, and another one
                >to re-encrypt the folder after I have worked with the protected
                >files.

                That may be the easiest. Using ^!Keyboard in other applications
                require to deal with timing issues and perhaps looping till the
                correct window appears trying to read the titlebar using ^!IfSame
                and "^$GetAppTitle$" "Titlebar Text". Sometimes you need to use
                ^$StrCopy()$ as well depending on popups and titlebar names. Your
                loop then would look something like:

                ^!FocusApp "Titlebar Text"
                ^!Delay 5
                ^!IfSame "^$GetAppTitle$" "Titlebar Text" Next else Skip_-2
                ^!Keyboard

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 30, 2006
                  Jody wrote:
                  > Hi Ray,
                  >
                  >> I'm currently trying to invoke the functions built into WinRAR. As
                  I said in
                  >> my reply to Harvey, the command line (following) does exactly what I
                  need>>>

                  > OK, missed it.
                  >
                  >> C:\Documents and Settings\RAS>c:\"program files\winrar\winrar" a
                  -pabc -r
                  >> test C:\temp\*.*
                  >
                  > Simply run a Clip: ^!"c:\program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc -r test
                  C:\temp\*.*

                  >> I'm trying to activate WinRAR by using ^!Keyboard Keys and
                  >> ^!PlayBack Keys, but so far none of my tries have worked. Maybe
                  >> I need one or more different functions. I need to activate the
                  >> DOS shell, and run the above command line in it. Does NoteTab
                  >> have a way to insert commands into the WinXP Run CMD box?
                  >

                  > That may be the easiest. Using ^!Keyboard in other applications
                  > require to deal with timing issues and perhaps looping till the
                  > correct window appears trying to read the titlebar using ^!IfSame
                  > and "^$GetAppTitle$" "Titlebar Text". Sometimes you need to use
                  > ^$StrCopy()$ as well depending on popups and titlebar names. Your
                  > loop then would look something like:
                  >
                  > ^!FocusApp "Titlebar Text"
                  > ^!Delay 5
                  > ^!IfSame "^$GetAppTitle$" "Titlebar Text" Next else Skip_-2
                  > ^!Keyboard
                  >

                  > Happy Clip'n!
                  > Jody

                  Ray,

                  It appears Jody is familiar with WinRar. The command line he supplied
                  looks like it should work to add files to an archive, recurse
                  directories, and supply the password

                  ^!"C:\Program Files\Winrar\Winrar" a -pabc -r "C:\Documents and
                  Settings\RAS\test" "C:\Documents and Settings\RAS\*.*"

                  This to help translate the clip line above

                  <>····················<>
                  pathabove add-toarchive -pabc -r "c:\path\test"
                  "c:\path\filestoadd

                  WinRAR <command> -<switch1> -<switchN> <archive>
                  <files...>
                  <>····················<>
                  To decrypt files I think the following command line would start WinRar
                  to allow you to decrypt using the WinRar GUI.

                  ^!"C:\Program Files\Winrar\Winrar"
                  -------------------------------------

                  For my curiosity, is this command line entered into a Dos box prompt?
                  It appears to have a redirection arrow > in it, is that correct?

                  C:\Documents and Settings\RAS>c:\"program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc -r
                  test C:\temp\*.*

                  ºvº
                  06.01.30
                  "Meandering to a different drummer."
                  hrs ø hsavage@...
                • richardg@singnet.com.sg
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 30, 2006
                    Hi, all -

                    This might be so obvious that it is redundant, but...

                    For the WinRAR, if you use a batch file, the password would be in it.
                    I'm not sure you want that. But you can have NT create the batch file,
                    and then run it. But then the password would be in the NT clip :-(.

                    The solution is to have the clip request the password from the user,
                    plug it into the batch text, ...write, ...run.

                    Bobbit_Singapore

                  • R Shapp
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 31, 2006
                      Hi Jody, Harvey, bobbit:

                      Thank you for your replies. Answering the simpler questions first:

                      hrs said>>
                      For my curiosity, is this command line entered into a Dos box prompt?
                      It appears to have a redirection arrow > in it, is that correct?

                      C:\Documents and Settings\RAS>c:\"program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc
                      -r test C:\temp\*.*

                      The line above does not contain a redirection arrow. The arrow is a part of
                      the prompt I get from DOS. Everything following the arrow is the command line
                      that runs WinRAR.

                      bobbit said>>
                      For the WinRAR, if you use a batch file, the password would be in it.
                      I'm not sure you want that.

                      If I omit the password, WinRAR will prompt the user for it. In the actual
                      clip or Batch file, I will omit the password.

                      Jody said>>
                      Simply run a Clip: ^!"c:\program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc -r test
                      C:\temp\*.*

                      This thing runs lightening fast. ...and, to my amazement, it worked!
                      Apparently, ^! inserts what follows into the DOS box and runs it. I may never
                      write another Batch file again!

                      I will want to use this for lots of other jobs in future. Where in Clip Help
                      can I read about ^! ? I see dozens of commands that begin with ^!, but I
                      don't see a listing for ^! alone.

                      NoteTab is amazing!

                      Ray Shapp
                    • Charles M. Raine
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 31, 2006
                        Hi Ray:

                        You said:
                        > I will want to use this for lots of other jobs in future. Where in Clip
                        > Help can I read about ^! ? I see dozens of commands that begin with ^!,
                        > but I don't see a listing for ^! alone.

                        You will find it under Help | Clip Programming | Introduction:

                        Clip Language Elements:

                        Commands:
                        A command is an instruction that performs a specific task. All commands
                        must start at the beginning of a line with the two-character code "^!"
                        followed either by the name of the Clip command or a program command line.
                        Note that since version 4.8, you can now also have commands after
                        conditional statements. Each command must occupy a single line in the Clip.
                        Many commands accept or require one or more parameters - data that you pass
                        to the instruction that can determine how the command operates. Parameters
                        must be separated with a blank character; if a parameter contains a blank
                        character it must be placed between double-quotes. Example of a command:
                        ^!Close "File Name" SAVE

                        Hope this helps.

                        Charlie
                        Charles M. Raine,
                        Winnipeg. MB R3P 0W3
                      • loro
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 31, 2006
                          Charles M. Raine wrote:
                          >You said:
                          > > I will want to use this for lots of other jobs in future. Where in Clip
                          > > Help can I read about ^! ? I see dozens of commands that begin with ^!,
                          > > but I don't see a listing for ^! alone.
                          >
                          >You will find it under Help | Clip Programming | Introduction:

                          Hi Charlie, nice to see you posting again. :-)

                          It's also under Executing Programs. It doesn't stand out because of the way
                          it's written. One tends to scan for a solitary "^!".
                          -------
                          ^!CommandLine
                          Executes the specified program command unless it represents a Clip command.
                          See also the new ^!Shell command below.
                          -------

                          Lotta
                        • hsavage
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 31, 2006
                            R Shapp wrote:
                            > Hi Jody, Harvey, bobbit:
                            >
                            > Thank you for your replies. Answering the simpler questions first:
                            >

                            > hrs said>>
                            > For my curiosity, is this command line entered into a Dos box prompt?
                            > It appears to have a redirection arrow > in it, is that correct?
                            >
                            > C:\Documents and Settings\RAS>c:\"program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc
                            > -r test C:\temp\*.*
                            > The line above does not contain a redirection arrow.

                            I see, it's part of your dos prompt. You opened the dos box in that folder.

                            > Jody said>>
                            > Simply run a Clip: ^!"c:\program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc -r test
                            > C:\temp\*.*
                            > This thing runs lightening fast. ...and, to my amazement, it worked!
                            > Apparently, ^! inserts what follows into the DOS box and runs it. I
                            may never
                            > write another Batch file again!

                            The ^! preceding the Winrar command is the old way of doing the ^!Shell
                            command.

                            ^!Shell "c:\program files\winrar\winrar" a -pabc -r test C:\temp\*.*

                            This line should work identically, look up ^!Shell in NoteTab Help.

                            > I will want to use this for lots of other jobs in future. Where in
                            Clip Help
                            > can I read about ^! ? I see dozens of commands that begin with ^!, but I
                            > don't see a listing for ^! alone.

                            ^! is in help, under ^!CommandLine, it represents ^!"c:\program
                            files\winrar\winrar", but as I said, it's the old way of using ^!Shell

                            > NoteTab is amazing!
                            >
                            > Ray Shapp

                            Ray,

                            I downloaded a trial version of Winrar. After one becomes familiar with
                            it ease of use would probably improve. The GUI provides lots of
                            options, too many for me.

                            For something like you're doing I use my file manager, it supports
                            zipping and password protection if desired.

                            ºvº
                            06.01.31
                            -Newspaper HeadLine-
                            "Never Withhold Herpes Infection from Loved One"
                            hrs ø hsavage@...
                          • R Shapp
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 31, 2006
                              Hello Charles and Lotta,

                              Thanks for your replies.

                              <<You will find it under Help | Clip Programming | Introduction:>>
                              <<It doesn't stand out because of the way
                              it's written. One tends to scan for a solitary "^!".>>

                              I know I have read most of the basic stuff in Clip Help, but it just didn't
                              stay with me.

                              Regards,

                              Ray Shapp
                            • R Shapp
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
                                Hi Harvey,

                                Thank you for going to the trouble of downloading the WinRAR trial program.

                                <<After one becomes familiar with it ease of use would probably improve. >>

                                I use only a small part of its functionality, and I am still not too
                                proficient with it. That's why I want to automate its use so I can just
                                invoke a clip to do the detail work.

                                <<The ^! preceding the Winrar command is the old way of doing the ^!Shell
                                command.>>

                                What's the advantage of ^!shell over ^! ? I read the Help entries, and they
                                seem identical.

                                Thanks again.

                                Ray Shapp
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
                                  Hi Harv and Ray,

                                  >It appears Jody is familiar with WinRar. The command line he supplied
                                  >looks like it should work to add files to an archive, recurse
                                  >directories, and supply the password

                                  I own a license to use, but do not use it. I just got the
                                  commandline from Ray's message. If not mentioned, you could use
                                  NoteTab commands/functions to encrypt the un/pw. :)

                                  Happy Tab'n,
                                  Jody Adair

                                • hsavage
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
                                    R Shapp wrote:
                                    > Hi Harvey,
                                    >
                                    > Thank you for going to the trouble of downloading the WinRAR trial
                                    program.

                                    > <<After one becomes familiar with it ease of use would probably
                                    improve. >>

                                    > I use only a small part of its functionality, and I am still not too
                                    > proficient with it. That's why I want to automate its use so I can just
                                    > invoke a clip to do the detail work.

                                    Most of us do settle for a small part of functionality. Great numbers
                                    of commandline options are nice at times but do create a sharp learning
                                    curve. There only program I've seen, so far, with many more commandline
                                    options is XXcopy.

                                    > <<The ^! preceding the Winrar command is the old way of doing the ^!Shell
                                    > command.>>
                                    >
                                    > What's the advantage of ^!shell over ^! ? I read the Help entries,
                                    and they
                                    > seem identical.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks again.
                                    >
                                    > Ray Shapp

                                    Ray,

                                    I don't think there is an advantage, other than it's more descriptive of
                                    the action and easier for the average user to understand when reading
                                    through a clip. I prefer ^!Shell but that's an individual thing.

                                    ºvº
                                    06.02.01
                                    "A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door."
                                    hrs ø hsavage@...
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
                                      Hi Ray,

                                      >This thing runs lightening fast. ...and, to my amazement, it worked!
                                      >Apparently, ^! inserts what follows into the DOS box and runs it. I may never
                                      >write another Batch file again!
                                      >
                                      >I will want to use this for lots of other jobs in future. Where in Clip Help
                                      >can I read about ^! ? I see dozens of commands that begin with ^!, but I
                                      >don't see a listing for ^! alone.
                                      >
                                      >NoteTab is amazing!

                                      ;)

                                      Look in the regular Help | Reference | Tools | Editor Clipbook |
                                      Clip Basics. It does not actually explain ^!, but you can get a
                                      closer look for ideas to use ^!.

                                      Also click on Help | Help on Clipbook Programming and read "Clip
                                      Language - Introduction"

                                      Also, search for "^!" without the quotes in my Clipbook
                                      Programming Tutorial:

                                      The following is a download for a Clipbook programming tutorial
                                      designed to walk you through Clip writing. It includes "Getting
                                      Started" (which is a web page with a number of images displaying
                                      different parts of NoteTab that deals with Clipbooks), making a
                                      Clipbook Library, adding Clips, and editing Clips, on to more
                                      difficult Clip writing. Be sure to read the Introduction also.
                                      Open ClipTut.clb and then click on the ClipTut.otl Outline Clip
                                      to open the Outline.

                                      All the contents of the zip files go in NoteTab's Libraries
                                      folder. http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip

                                      Useful links...

                                      http://www.notetab.net http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
                                      http://www.fookes.us

                                      http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb
                                      You might find some of the following links useful...

                                      + Various Documents and Jody's NoteTab Site
                                      + Clipbook/Clip Tutorial, Write Your Own Clips!
                                      + Online FAQ and Download in Outline Format
                                      + Aid4Mail
                                      + Discussion Mailing Lists

                                      Extra Help for NoteTab's Clipbar (and basic Clip editing)
                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm

                                      The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                                      Clipbook Repository: http://www.notetab.com/libraries.php

                                      NoteTab's Comparison Chart
                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/chart.htm

                                      Clipbook Clip Writing Tutorial by Jody Adair
                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/cliptut.htm <-- Coming in the future...
                                      http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip <-- Available now!
                                      (Unzip/extract to NoteTab's Libraries folder.)

                                      From the NoteTab Fookes Software Support Desk by Jody Adair
                                      http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb <-- Online Now!!!...
                                      http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb/faq-ntb.otl.zip <-- Outline format...
                                      From the Fookes Software Support Desk (mbg,a4m, etc.) <-- Coming in the future...

                                      All You Want and do Not Want to Know About the NoteTab Upgrade Procedure :)
                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/howupdate.htm

                                      CD-ROM Information
                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

                                      The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (my personal NoteTab site)
                                      Get many useful free Clips and Libraries: http://www.notetab.net

                                      Other software that you may find useful; I use the most of it
                                      daily. They are at my affiliates site:

                                      Sojourner's Five Wink Software: http://www.sojourner.us/software

                                      A lot of it integrates directly and seamlessly in NoteTab like
                                      the most excellent thesaurus WordWeb! (freeware and shareware
                                      versions - it replaces NoteTab's so that when you press F11 it
                                      brings up the word that the cursor is on. It is a must download!)

                                      Other software that integrates with NoteTab is CSE HTML
                                      Validator, a must have for web page authors, and TopStyle, a CSS
                                      editor; freeware and shareware versions available too! Both work
                                      off NoteTab's Tools menu and customizable shortcuts can be made
                                      for them. When CSE HTML Validator is used a Clipbook Library is
                                      created that has the Clips for the errors, warnings, messages,
                                      and when you click on one it brings you right to the line with
                                      the problem. There's a number of other excellent software
                                      programs listed there as well. Thanks for taking the time to
                                      visit it:

                                      Sojourner'$ Five Wink $oftware: http://www.sojourner.us/software ;)

                                      Convert and Archive your eMail - over 20 email formats supported!
                                      http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail (Jody'$ Affiliate $ite, Tutorial's Coming!)

                                      Fookes Software Products Page
                                      http://www.fookes.us (Jody'$ Affiliate $ite) thanks much!!! :)

                                      You might want to check out the CD contents and other
                                      useful information below.

                                      PayPal Pay Now!
                                      When buying from...
                                      a checking account, please send to: Sales@...
                                      https://www.paypal.com/affil/pal=sales@...

                                      a credit card, or outside USA send to: Jody@...
                                      https://www.paypal.com/affil/pal=jody@...

                                      CD-ROMs Loaded With MB and Are Very Useful
                                      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                                      The CD-ROMs for our products have lots of extras on them
                                      including: very useful freeware and shareware, extra HTML help
                                      for beginners, an excellent Clip writing tutorial, other short
                                      tutorials, third party products that work seamlessly with
                                      NoteTab... You can get more than one registered program on the
                                      same CD at no extra charge, even if you already registered the
                                      products; see "cd-info.htm" and "onthiscd.htm" below for details
                                      and the contents of the CDs.

                                      Ordering Information: Price, CD build type...
                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
                                      Programs, Utilities, Helps, Clip Tutorial...
                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm
                                      Third Party Products: Freeware and Shareware...
                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/tpp-readthis.htm
                                      Order Fookes Software through me (on/off CD)...
                                      http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448

                                      PayPal
                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/paypal-fs.htm

                                      Fast, Courteous, Very Useful Discussion Mailing Lists
                                      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                                      The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                                      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                                      The site (http://www.notetab.net) is one of my personal web
                                      sites. You can get a lot of useful Libraries and some great Clips
                                      there on a page named Snatch-A-Clip.

                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/snatchclp.htm
                                      http://www.notetab.net/html/html/library.htm

                                      http://www.sojourner.us/software
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
                                        Hi Ray and All,

                                        ><<The ^! preceding the Winrar command is the old way of doing the ^!Shell
                                        >command.>>
                                        >
                                        >What's the advantage of ^!shell over ^! ? I read the Help entries, and they
                                        >seem identical.

                                        Oops, I forget that a lot. Came up in the old school! :) ^!Shell
                                        is suppose to be better to use according to Eric. Something to
                                        the effect that it is more reliable than just "^!" without the
                                        quotes, but I have never had a problem leaving the "Shell" out
                                        myself and only use is sometimes for a public Clip when I
                                        remember. The correct method is ^!Shell though. <g>

                                        http://www.sojourner.us/software