[Clip] ^! vs. GetDOSOutput in WinNT

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27 3:37 PM
      Hi again, all -

      I'm running a DOS command from a clip, and it seems to give different
      results based on whether I use ^$GetDOSOutput()$ vs just plain ol' ^!.

      I'm using Source Safe via command line to check files in and out.

      When I use

      ^!Info ^$GetDOSOutput("DosCommandHere")

      it hangs. The dos command gets executed, but never goes anywhere. I bring
      up the Task Manager (under Windows NT), and it shows that ss.exe is running
      (the source safe command line executable), and is taking >95% of system
      time, but it never completes. I kill the process, and Notetab tells me

      "No output produced by "c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe -c c:\vss\win32\ss.exe
      blah blah blah"

      which makes sense, since I killed the process.

      However...

      When I ditch the ^!Info and ^$GetDOSOutput$, and just use
      "^!c:\vss\win32\ss.exe blah blah blah", it works fine. Unfortunately, of
      course, I don't get to see the output because the dos window flashes open,
      runs, and then is closed in a second or so.

      My theory is that it has to do with the way NoteTab runs DOS programs via
      ^! versus ^$GetDOSOutput$ under Windows NT4.0, SP3.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks!
      *AC*

      What ever happened to Preparations A through G?
      I mean, do I really want to trust that part of my body
      to someone who got it wrong the first 7 times?!?
      - Aaron Cammarata

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ntb-clips