Re: [Clip] Scramble text for strange reading.

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
      Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
      > That is cool. I have seen this before. It always amazes me that you
      > can still read it. It seems to prove that maybe spelling isn't all that
      > important in English so long as you learn the first and last character.
      > Do you think that insisting on change hurt the readability in any way?
      > I am presuming not.
      >>
      >> http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=349

      Don,

      I, and the person that originally asked for assistance, thought we
      should scramble all we could. With the original algorithm words much
      larger than 4 letters could come thru unchanged. After modification,
      the same large word is unlikely to be scrambled in the same sequence
      thus, adding to the readability challenge.

      I also have a similar clip that works in the same manner, except, it
      reverses the characters in all words where it can. I think it may be
      just as hard to read, or even more difficult, as scrambled words.

      I also have variations of both clips that will scrambled or reverse only
      a single word at the cursor position.

      ºvº
      06.01.14
      'Dancing:'
      'Why Men Don't Like To.'
      hrs ø hsavage@...
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
        sisterscape wrote:
        > Neat clip. I have seen altered text like that before. It took me a
        > while to get it working though as it doesn't like word wrap. At least
        > I saved myself the embarassment of asking why the clip wasn't working!!
        >
        > sisterscape

        sister,

        Thanks, but it shouldn't matter whether wordwrap is on or off. The clip
        always starts at the left margin of the screen line at the cursor. This
        was an arbitrary decision on my part, could have started with the word
        at the cursor position.

        If wrap is off, entire screen lines -paragraphs-, from the cursor
        position down are scrambled.

        If wrap is on, scrambling starts at the left screen margin, and,
        depending where the cursor is, may not scramble an entire paragraph. In
        Pro, as you probably know, a paragraph is everything between carriage
        returns.

        And it you want to scramble a very large document be ready to invest a
        bit of extra time for the clip to run.

        ºvº
        06.01.14
        'Dancing:'
        'Why Men Don't Like To.'
        hrs ø hsavage@...
      • rpdooling
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
          don> It always amazes me that you can still read it. It seems to
          don> prove that maybe spelling isn't all that important in
          don> English so long as you learn the first and last character.

          Same is true in fingerspelling in American Sign Language. Deaf people
          rapidly fingerspell longer, more complex words (for which there are no
          simple "signs") like, say, "graffiti" or "bouillabaisse" or
          "paralellogram" and the studies show that they grok the word based on
          the first letter, the last letter, and two or three in between, then
          put it together with the lip movement and poof, get it. You have to
          see it to believe it. It's a blur to a hearing person, even one who
          knows sign language.

          okay okay, somebody throw a flag. I should be off topic!

          rpd

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:

          > That is cool. I have seen this before. It always amazes me that you
          > can still read it. It seems to prove that maybe spelling isn't all
          that
          > important in English so long as you learn the first and last character.
          > Do you think that insisting on change hurt the readability in any
          way?
          > I am presuming not.
          > > I've uploaded the clip to help avoid wrapped lines or other
          errors, you
          > > can copy/paste it from this address;
          > >
          > > http://htmlfixit.com/blog/?p=349

        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2006
            Well, that explains why it didn't work until I turned word wrap off. I
            didn't understand the importance of the cursor placement!

            This clip scrambles words even more wickedly than examples I have seen
            in the past. My brain found it quite challenging to unscramble text
            after running the clip. Kinda takes some fun out of it when it is
            sooooo hard . . .

            sisterscape

            http://mail.yahoo.com