Re: [Clip] Using clips to fill-in web forms.

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006
      Hi Dan,

      This is mostly for you Dan. It won't be interesting for people
      that do not have the need to use the PasteBack code to do email,
      forms, anything that you need to do a lot of pasting in text
      with. It's also long... If you do not have a lot of time, you can
      see it work by, skipping down to "IT WORKS FROM ANYWHERE" without
      the quotes below and check it out real quick. CAPS for emphasis so
      you can find it quickly. Press "Page Down" about 4-5 times. ;)

      OK, this is a book, but I really like my ^!PasteBack Library. It
      is super powerful and literally saves me or gives me hundreds of
      extra hours in the work week. I've probably seen even 100s in
      the work day at times - just given to me for learning the Clip
      Code. :)

      How much time ($$$) you will save all depends on how much work
      you can automate with NoteTab, how much of it you have to do, the
      time spent on writing the Clips - one time thing except for
      modifications, and coming up with ideas to make Clips for to save
      time. The reason I save all the time is not really because of the
      ^!PasteBack Clip, but in my Clips. It just so happens that I do a
      lot of support email, so I do a lot of FAQs that I can have
      pasted into the email edit window in seconds for a page,
      2,3,4,5... I do not have to keep switching back and forth to get
      the text and go searching for it by name, keywords/letters, etc.
      I simply, type a few letters (generally speaking when getting an
      FAQ), and then copy/cut. That's it. More below, sorry for the
      book.

      >I have a project to enter data into web forms based on data that I
      >have to copy and paste from Notetab.

      Piece of cake most likely using ^!PasteBack, OnOpen (optional),
      OnClipboardChange, and some more.

      >I have fair to good knowledge of clips but have a challenge

      Makes it more fun! :)

      >as to whether Notetab clips can do what I hope it can do. I have
      >experimented with ^!Pasteback and ^!Typeback to take data from
      >the clipboard or a variable, switch to my web browser and paste
      >it but without success. My interpretation of the help for
      >^!Pasteback is that it won't work for the data was not originally
      >copied from my web browser. Is this true or is there something I
      >am misinterpreting?

      IT WORKS FROM ANYWHERE there is an edit window/field when the
      Library is active monitoring the Clipboard. (^!PasteBack is the
      best to use - fastest.) See the four quick steps below to see how
      it works. You do have to pre-make the Clips that you use. You
      just copy the text that you use a lot in the forms and make Clips
      out of them. Follow the instructions below.

      Please write me private email about Clips in the Library
      mentioned below, but please use the list for general Clip
      questions. Please do not reference the Library, because most
      people won't have it or they modified it if they do. Clip
      questions not related to my Library can come back to the list
      please.

      The easiest way to see it work, the basic function (that is, just
      pasting back text - no commands or functions for the most part),
      is...

      1. Simply activate the PasteClips Library that comes with NoteTab.
      2. Start it by clicking on the Start Clip.
      3. Go to any application/program that has an edit window or field
      and type in "ys" without the quotes. In your case, in the
      browser in the form in a field you want it returned to.
      4. Select the "ys" and copy or cut. You should see, "Yours sincerely,"
      returned so long as the window/field you are in can be edited.

      I have an index so to speak that when "?" without the quotes is
      detected it pops up a long list of my letters or word with what
      the Clip does. I can double click on it from there to execute a
      Clip (^!PasteBack). It has the letters like "calc" in parentheses
      like so - it does calculations of equations of course.

      (calc) Calculates math equations like NoteTab in the document window^=calc|

      my syntax would be like calc4*19.95

      In OnClipboardChange some of my ^!If statements are:

      ^!IfSame "calc" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" Calc
      ^!If "^$GetClipboardSize$" > "50" FormatMail

      In the "calc" case above when NoteTab sees the four letters, it
      then goes to the label specified which then it is taken to a Clip
      to execute the equation and PasteBack. For example, I type in
      without the quotes "calc4*19.95" and then copy or cut it. NoteTab
      returns the following...

      4*19.95 = $79.80

      ...which is the price for 4 copies of NoteTab Pro. :) You can run
      the Clips from anywhere that has an editable type field. Or, I
      copy/cut without the quotes (btw, "wo" is a ^!PasteBack for
      "without the quotes" without the quotes of course). <bg>

      "calc(4*19.95)+10.00"
      wo quotes, becomes:

      (4*19.95)+10.00 = $89.80

      after copy/cut for the price on CD. ;) If you have been on the
      lists for awhile, you have probably seen the rules that I
      periodically post. They are done with "ml" I'm already doing a
      bunch of email, so the Library is active. I seldom have to leave
      Eudora to do my support work with quick returns (^!PasteBack) of
      FAQs, registrations, etc. I added a few of my ^!IfSame statements
      below, so you and perhaps others can get some ideas.

      The way ^!PasteBack works is with the OnClipboardChange event
      Clip active NoteTab is always monitoring the Clipboard. When it
      sees something that is a match in the Library like ys in the
      PasteClips Library, it does its thing.

      ys
      Yours sincerely,

      ----------

      If you are just doing simple ^!PasteBack Clips, then it is
      straight text like above and the "ys" portion is an actual Clip
      named that. Eric uses ^!CopyClip ^$GetClipboard$ to get the "ys"
      Clip in this case and returns the contents via ^!PasteBack.

      However, by using ^!If/^!IfSame statements, you can run/execute
      complicated as in difficult to write for beginners / or powerful
      Clips you might say.

      >Is there a clip book available for what I am trying to archive?

      There is a working (I think - haha) example; last updated (major)
      in 1998. I just did some minor updates for like email address,
      etc. I use my copy; heavily upgraded and super powerful all day
      long doing support email and other email like this one. The power
      comes in at the _OnClipBoardChange event Clip. There's not many
      examples, because I didn't want to confuse people and figured it
      would be best to get them started and then they can eventually
      think of some power ^!PasteBack Clips.

      http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
      http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteback.zip

      These are all in the OnClipboardChange event Clip and many of
      them execute some powerful Clips, oh, I said that. <bg>

      ^!IfSame "Caps" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" Caps
      ; ^!IfSame "gl" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" GetLine
      ^!IfSame "a4m-tpl" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;7)$" a4m-tpl
      ^!IfSame "a4m-code" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;8)$" a4m-code
      ^!IfSame "?" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;1)$" ???
      ; ^!IfSame "\index.html" "^$StrCopyRight("^$GetClipboard$";1;11)$" a4m
      ^!IfSame "unquote" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;7)$" Unquote
      ^!IfSame "il" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Links
      ^!IfSame "rrnp" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" rrnp
      ^!IfSame "rrnotepad" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;9)$" rrnotepad
      ^!IfSame "First Name: " "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;20)$" cd.JA
      ^!IfSame "Reference Number" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;16)$" Forensic
      ^!IfSame "Shipping: On CD-ROM:" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;20)$" PlimusCD
      ^!IfSame "This email confirms" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;19)$" PayPal
      ^!IfSame "glossary" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;8)$" Glossary
      ^!IfSame "u=" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Yahoo1
      ^!IfTrue ^$StrCount("From: ";"^$GetClipboard$";0;0)$ Next else Skip
      ^!IfTrue ^$StrCount("To: ";"^$GetClipboard$";0;0)$ Header
      ^!IfSame "sort:" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;5)$" Sort
      ^!IfSame "First Name: " "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;20)$" 1stName
      ^!IfSame "From: " "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;6)$" ^!Set %QuickPro%=1
      ^!IfSame "From:" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;5)$" fwd
      ^!IfSame "->" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" StripArrows
      ^!IfSame "ds" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Space
      ^!IfSame "rf>>" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" Reformat3
      ^!IfSame "rf>" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;3)$" Reformat2
      ^!IfSame "rf" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Reformat1
      ^!IfSame "->" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" UnQuote
      ^!IfSame "calc" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" Calc
      ^!If "^$GetClipboardSize$" > "50" FormatMail

      http://www.sojourner.us/software
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2006
        When I tried using ^!Pasteback, I found the doc no great help.
        To see how it works, run the PasteClips clip which comes with Ntb.

        The principle is that you
        - set up a list of abbreviations and their expansions in a similar clip
        - run the clip
        - write one of your abbreviations in your target program
        - select and copy it

        Ntb will, when it detects it in the clipboard, (delete the abbreviation &) paste the expansion in its place.
        So it's better for material you're likely to paste many times - not just once.
        John