Using clips to fill-in web forms.

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006
      I have a project to enter data into web forms based on data that I
      have to copy and paste from Notetab.

      I have fair to good knowledge of clips but have a challenge as to
      whether Notetab clips can do what I hope it can do.

      I have experimented with ^!Pasteback and ^!Typeback to take data from
      the clipboard or a variable, switch to my web browser and paste it but
      without success. My interpretation of the help for ^!Pasteback is
      that it woun't work for the data was not originally copied from my web
      browser. Is this true or is there something I am misinterpreting?

      Is there a clip book available for what I am trying to achive?
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006
        Dan wrote:
        > I have a project to enter data into web forms based on data that I
        > have to copy and paste from Notetab.
        >
        > I have fair to good knowledge of clips but have a challenge as to
        > whether Notetab clips can do what I hope it can do.
        >
        > I have experimented with ^!Pasteback and ^!Typeback to take data from
        > the clipboard or a variable, switch to my web browser and paste it but
        > without success. My interpretation of the help for ^!Pasteback is
        > that it woun't work for the data was not originally copied from my web
        > browser. Is this true or is there something I am misinterpreting?
        >
        > Is there a clip book available for what I am trying to achive?

        I think this can be done either with toolbar paste, or by keyboard commands.
        Do you have a small sample of data and the web page?
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006
          Hi Dan,

          This is mostly for you Dan. It won't be interesting for people
          that do not have the need to use the PasteBack code to do email,
          forms, anything that you need to do a lot of pasting in text
          with. It's also long... If you do not have a lot of time, you can
          see it work by, skipping down to "IT WORKS FROM ANYWHERE" without
          the quotes below and check it out real quick. CAPS for emphasis so
          you can find it quickly. Press "Page Down" about 4-5 times. ;)

          OK, this is a book, but I really like my ^!PasteBack Library. It
          is super powerful and literally saves me or gives me hundreds of
          extra hours in the work week. I've probably seen even 100s in
          the work day at times - just given to me for learning the Clip
          Code. :)

          How much time ($$$) you will save all depends on how much work
          you can automate with NoteTab, how much of it you have to do, the
          time spent on writing the Clips - one time thing except for
          modifications, and coming up with ideas to make Clips for to save
          time. The reason I save all the time is not really because of the
          ^!PasteBack Clip, but in my Clips. It just so happens that I do a
          lot of support email, so I do a lot of FAQs that I can have
          pasted into the email edit window in seconds for a page,
          2,3,4,5... I do not have to keep switching back and forth to get
          the text and go searching for it by name, keywords/letters, etc.
          I simply, type a few letters (generally speaking when getting an
          FAQ), and then copy/cut. That's it. More below, sorry for the
          book.

          >I have a project to enter data into web forms based on data that I
          >have to copy and paste from Notetab.

          Piece of cake most likely using ^!PasteBack, OnOpen (optional),
          OnClipboardChange, and some more.

          >I have fair to good knowledge of clips but have a challenge

          Makes it more fun! :)

          >as to whether Notetab clips can do what I hope it can do. I have
          >experimented with ^!Pasteback and ^!Typeback to take data from
          >the clipboard or a variable, switch to my web browser and paste
          >it but without success. My interpretation of the help for
          >^!Pasteback is that it won't work for the data was not originally
          >copied from my web browser. Is this true or is there something I
          >am misinterpreting?

          IT WORKS FROM ANYWHERE there is an edit window/field when the
          Library is active monitoring the Clipboard. (^!PasteBack is the
          best to use - fastest.) See the four quick steps below to see how
          it works. You do have to pre-make the Clips that you use. You
          just copy the text that you use a lot in the forms and make Clips
          out of them. Follow the instructions below.

          Please write me private email about Clips in the Library
          mentioned below, but please use the list for general Clip
          questions. Please do not reference the Library, because most
          people won't have it or they modified it if they do. Clip
          questions not related to my Library can come back to the list
          please.

          The easiest way to see it work, the basic function (that is, just
          pasting back text - no commands or functions for the most part),
          is...

          1. Simply activate the PasteClips Library that comes with NoteTab.
          2. Start it by clicking on the Start Clip.
          3. Go to any application/program that has an edit window or field
          and type in "ys" without the quotes. In your case, in the
          browser in the form in a field you want it returned to.
          4. Select the "ys" and copy or cut. You should see, "Yours sincerely,"
          returned so long as the window/field you are in can be edited.

          I have an index so to speak that when "?" without the quotes is
          detected it pops up a long list of my letters or word with what
          the Clip does. I can double click on it from there to execute a
          Clip (^!PasteBack). It has the letters like "calc" in parentheses
          like so - it does calculations of equations of course.

          (calc) Calculates math equations like NoteTab in the document window^=calc|

          my syntax would be like calc4*19.95

          In OnClipboardChange some of my ^!If statements are:

          ^!IfSame "calc" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" Calc
          ^!If "^$GetClipboardSize$" > "50" FormatMail

          In the "calc" case above when NoteTab sees the four letters, it
          then goes to the label specified which then it is taken to a Clip
          to execute the equation and PasteBack. For example, I type in
          without the quotes "calc4*19.95" and then copy or cut it. NoteTab
          returns the following...

          4*19.95 = $79.80

          ...which is the price for 4 copies of NoteTab Pro. :) You can run
          the Clips from anywhere that has an editable type field. Or, I
          copy/cut without the quotes (btw, "wo" is a ^!PasteBack for
          "without the quotes" without the quotes of course). <bg>

          "calc(4*19.95)+10.00"
          wo quotes, becomes:

          (4*19.95)+10.00 = $89.80

          after copy/cut for the price on CD. ;) If you have been on the
          lists for awhile, you have probably seen the rules that I
          periodically post. They are done with "ml" I'm already doing a
          bunch of email, so the Library is active. I seldom have to leave
          Eudora to do my support work with quick returns (^!PasteBack) of
          FAQs, registrations, etc. I added a few of my ^!IfSame statements
          below, so you and perhaps others can get some ideas.

          The way ^!PasteBack works is with the OnClipboardChange event
          Clip active NoteTab is always monitoring the Clipboard. When it
          sees something that is a match in the Library like ys in the
          PasteClips Library, it does its thing.

          ys
          Yours sincerely,

          ----------

          If you are just doing simple ^!PasteBack Clips, then it is
          straight text like above and the "ys" portion is an actual Clip
          named that. Eric uses ^!CopyClip ^$GetClipboard$ to get the "ys"
          Clip in this case and returns the contents via ^!PasteBack.

          However, by using ^!If/^!IfSame statements, you can run/execute
          complicated as in difficult to write for beginners / or powerful
          Clips you might say.

          >Is there a clip book available for what I am trying to archive?

          There is a working (I think - haha) example; last updated (major)
          in 1998. I just did some minor updates for like email address,
          etc. I use my copy; heavily upgraded and super powerful all day
          long doing support email and other email like this one. The power
          comes in at the _OnClipBoardChange event Clip. There's not many
          examples, because I didn't want to confuse people and figured it
          would be best to get them started and then they can eventually
          think of some power ^!PasteBack Clips.

          http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
          http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteback.zip

          These are all in the OnClipboardChange event Clip and many of
          them execute some powerful Clips, oh, I said that. <bg>

          ^!IfSame "Caps" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" Caps
          ; ^!IfSame "gl" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" GetLine
          ^!IfSame "a4m-tpl" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;7)$" a4m-tpl
          ^!IfSame "a4m-code" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;8)$" a4m-code
          ^!IfSame "?" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;1)$" ???
          ; ^!IfSame "\index.html" "^$StrCopyRight("^$GetClipboard$";1;11)$" a4m
          ^!IfSame "unquote" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;7)$" Unquote
          ^!IfSame "il" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Links
          ^!IfSame "rrnp" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" rrnp
          ^!IfSame "rrnotepad" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;9)$" rrnotepad
          ^!IfSame "First Name: " "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;20)$" cd.JA
          ^!IfSame "Reference Number" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;16)$" Forensic
          ^!IfSame "Shipping: On CD-ROM:" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;20)$" PlimusCD
          ^!IfSame "This email confirms" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;19)$" PayPal
          ^!IfSame "glossary" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;8)$" Glossary
          ^!IfSame "u=" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Yahoo1
          ^!IfTrue ^$StrCount("From: ";"^$GetClipboard$";0;0)$ Next else Skip
          ^!IfTrue ^$StrCount("To: ";"^$GetClipboard$";0;0)$ Header
          ^!IfSame "sort:" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;5)$" Sort
          ^!IfSame "First Name: " "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;20)$" 1stName
          ^!IfSame "From: " "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;6)$" ^!Set %QuickPro%=1
          ^!IfSame "From:" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;5)$" fwd
          ^!IfSame "->" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" StripArrows
          ^!IfSame "ds" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Space
          ^!IfSame "rf>>" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" Reformat3
          ^!IfSame "rf>" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;3)$" Reformat2
          ^!IfSame "rf" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Reformat1
          ^!IfSame "->" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" UnQuote
          ^!IfSame "calc" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" Calc
          ^!If "^$GetClipboardSize$" > "50" FormatMail

          http://www.sojourner.us/software
        • John
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2006
            When I tried using ^!Pasteback, I found the doc no great help.
            To see how it works, run the PasteClips clip which comes with Ntb.

            The principle is that you
            - set up a list of abbreviations and their expansions in a similar clip
            - run the clip
            - write one of your abbreviations in your target program
            - select and copy it

            Ntb will, when it detects it in the clipboard, (delete the abbreviation &) paste the expansion in its place.
            So it's better for material you're likely to paste many times - not just once.
            John