Add a to every line, clip needed

  • dacystorm
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 28, 2005
      Hello, this should be easy... (maybe)

      I need a clip that adds <BR> to every line of the document.
      Not replacing the existing text, just adding the <BR>.

      Help much appreciated, thanx
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 28, 2005
        This can easily be done without a clip. FWIW

        If you use the Replace feature, this is easy.

        If you want the <BR> at the front of the line, search for ^P, which
        means end of line/paragraph.

        In the find field put ^P in the replace field put ^P<BR>.

        If you want the <BR> at the end of each line put <BR>^P in the replace
        field.

        This is the same logic you would use for building a clip.

        HTH,

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        dacystorm wrote:

        >Hello, this should be easy... (maybe)
        >
        >I need a clip that adds <BR> to every line of the document.
        >Not replacing the existing text, just adding the <BR>.
        >
        >Help much appreciated, thanx

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 28, 2005
          dacystorm wrote:
          > Hello, this should be easy... (maybe)
          >
          > I need a clip that adds <BR> to every line of the document.
          > Not replacing the existing text, just adding the <BR>.
          >
          > Help much appreciated, thanx

          This assumes there might be a few lines you don't want <br> added, e.g.,
          html header lines.

          Just select one line or many lines in a group and run the clip, if you
          want lower or upper case change the clip accordingly by deleting or
          commenting out the other Replace line.

          -------------------------
          H="Add <br>"
          ; select one line or many lines you wish to add the suffix to.
          ; run clip
          ^!Replace "{\n+}" >> "<br>\1" HRSA
          ^!Replace "{\n+}" >> "<BR>\1" HRSA
          -------------------------

          ºvº
          05.12.28
          'Meandering to a different drummer.'
          hrs > hsavage@...
        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 28, 2005
            > Just select one line or many lines in a group and run the clip, if you
            > want lower or upper case change the clip accordingly by deleting or
            > commenting out the other Replace line.
            >
            > -------------------------
            > H="Add <br>"
            > ; select one line or many lines you wish to add the suffix to.
            > ; run clip
            > ^!Replace "{\n+}" >> "<br>\1" HRSA
            > ^!Replace "{\n+}" >> "<BR>\1" HRSA
            > -------------------------

            I am thinking that you might want the next line to remove the <br /></p>
            sets you will have inserted.

            or something like that?

            Don
          • dacystorm
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
              Thankyou for the clip, but when i run it, it adds the <BR> to the end
              of every line. I want the <BR> to be added in the beginning of every line.

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:

              > dacystorm wrote:
              > > Hello, this should be easy... (maybe)
              > >
              > > I need a clip that adds <BR> to every line of the document.
              > > Not replacing the existing text, just adding the <BR>.
              > >
              > > Help much appreciated, thanx
              >
              > This assumes there might be a few lines you don't want <br> added,
              e.g.,
              > html header lines.
              >
              > Just select one line or many lines in a group and run the clip, if you
              > want lower or upper case change the clip accordingly by deleting or
              > commenting out the other Replace line.
              >
              > -------------------------
              > H="Add <br>"
              > ; select one line or many lines you wish to add the suffix to.
              > ; run clip
              > ^!Replace "{\n+}" >> "<br>\1" HRSA
              > ^!Replace "{\n+}" >> "<BR>\1" HRSA
              > -------------------------
              >
              > ºvº
              > 05.12.28
              > 'Meandering to a different drummer.'
              > hrs > hsavage@p...

            • JMVWare
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
                The /1 is where the linefeed goes. Just move it to before4 thr BR instead
                of after.

                Thankyou for the clip, but when i run it, it adds the <BR> to the end
                of every line. I want the <BR> to be added in the beginning of every line.

                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:

                > dacystorm wrote:
                > > Hello, this should be easy... (maybe)
                > >
                > > I need a clip that adds <BR> to every line of the document.
                > > Not replacing the existing text, just adding the <BR>.
                > >
                > > Help much appreciated, thanx
                >
                > This assumes there might be a few lines you don't want <br> added,
                e.g.,
                > html header lines.
                >
                > Just select one line or many lines in a group and run the clip, if you
                > want lower or upper case change the clip accordingly by deleting or
                > commenting out the other Replace line.
                >
                > -------------------------
                > H="Add <br>"
                > ; select one line or many lines you wish to add the suffix to.
                > ; run clip
                > ^!Replace "{\n+}" >> "<br>\1" HRSA
                > ^!Replace "{\n+}" >> "<BR>\1" HRSA
                > -------------------------
                >
                > ºvº
                > 05.12.28
                > 'Meandering to a different drummer.'
                > hrs > hsavage@p...

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • dacystorm
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
                  It worked out perfectly, thankyou very much.

                  Happy new year : )

                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "JMVWare" <jmv@j...> wrote:

                  > The /1 is where the linefeed goes. Just move it to before4 thr BR
                  instead
                  > of after.

                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
                    JMVWare wrote:
                    > The /1 is where the linefeed goes. Just move it to before4 thr BR
                    instead
                    > of after.

                    dacy, JMVW,

                    JMV gave you the same resolution I planned to send, flipping the <br>
                    and the \1. Before I sent I wondered if your document may have blank
                    lines or leading spaces or tabs.

                    So, I've been working on a resolution for that consideration. I finally
                    have a short clip that places <br> at the start of each line of text,
                    disregarding blank lines and if there should be leading tabs or spaces
                    it places the <br> immediately before the text, to the right of tabs and
                    spaces. Blank lines are also untouched, no extraneous line breaks(<br>).

                    The new clip ignores leading tabs, spaces and blank lines in the text.
                    Just select from the starting line, down to, and including the final
                    line to be edited and run the clip.

                    The new clip follows the revised original clip.

                    -------------------------
                    H="Add <br>"
                    ; select one line or many lines you wish to add the suffix to.
                    ; run clip
                    ^!Replace "{\n+}" >> "\1<br>" HRSA
                    -------------------------

                    -------------------------
                    H="<br>Add"
                    ; select one line or as many lines you wish to add the suffix to.
                    ; run clip
                    ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                    ^!Set %start%=^$GetRow$
                    ^!Jump SELECT_END
                    ^!Set %end%=^$Calc(^$GetRow$-1)$
                    ^!KeyBoard LEFT
                    ^!SelectTo ^%start%:1
                    ^!Replace {^[\n\t\s]*} >> \1<br> HRSA
                    -------------------------

                    ºvº
                    05.12.29
                    'Silence, the Final Frontier:'
                    'Where No Woman Has Gone Before.'
                    hrs > hsavage@...
                  • gunnisonbirder
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "dacystorm" <dacy.storm@...> wrote:

                      > Thankyou for the clip, but when i run it, it adds the <BR> to the end
                      > of every line. I want the <BR> to be added in the beginning of every line.
                      >
                      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > dacystorm wrote:
                      > > > Hello, this should be easy... (maybe)
                      > > >
                      > > > I need a clip that adds <BR> to every line of the document.
                      > > > Not replacing the existing text, just adding the <BR>.
                      > > >
                      > > > Help much appreciated, thanx
                      > >
                      > > This assumes there might be a few lines you don't want <br> added,
                      > e.g.,
                      > > html header lines.
                      > >
                      > > Just select one line or many lines in a group and run the clip, if you
                      > > want lower or upper case change the clip accordingly by deleting or
                      > > commenting out the other Replace line.
                      > >
                      > > -------------------------
                      > > H="Add <br>"
                      > > ; select one line or many lines you wish to add the suffix to.
                      > > ; run clip
                      > > ^!Replace "{\n+}" >> "<br>\1" HRSA
                      > > ^!Replace "{\n+}" >> "<BR>\1" HRSA
                      > > -------------------------
                      > >
                      > > ºvº
                      > > 05.12.28
                      > > 'Meandering to a different drummer.'
                      > > hrs > hsavage@p...

                      Hello, I have tried above clip and can't make it work? Is it because I am using notetab pro ver: 5.61? Above clip was originally written in 2005. I would like a clip to add <br> to end of every line with some blank lines which I would also like to add <br> Thanks for any suggestions.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                        gunnisonbirder wrote:
                        > Is it because I am using notetab pro ver: 5.61?

                        Yes it is, that clip is in the old syntax. The following is untested
                        but ought to work:

                        H="Add <br>"
                        ; select one line or many lines you wish to add the suffix to.
                        ; run clip
                        ^!Replace "(\R)" >> "<br>$1" HRSA

                        Axel
                      • Don Daugherty
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                          gunnisonbirder wrote:
                          >> when i run it, it adds the <BR> to the end
                          >> of every line. I want the <BR> to be added in the beginning of every line.
                          How about this: ^!Replace "^" >> "<br>" RHSA
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                            Don Daugherty wrote:
                            > How about this: ^!Replace "^" >> "<br>" RHSA

                            No, the caret on its own means nothing. This ought to work:

                            ^!Replace "^(.+?)$" >> "<br>$1" HRAS

                            It only looks for lines with a content of at least one character, not
                            empty ones. For the latter case use

                            ^!Replace "^(.*?)$" >> "<br>$1" HRAS

                            instead.
                            Axel
                          • Sheri
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009

                              > Don Daugherty wrote:
                              > > How about this: ^!Replace "^" >> "<br>" RHSA
                              >
                              > No, the caret on its own means nothing.

                              Better go back to regex school. :D

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                                Sheri wrote:
                                > Better go back to regex school. :D

                                If you say so, I'd better take heed.

                                Thanks for the correction
                                Axel
                              • gunnisonbirder
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009

                                  > gunnisonbirder wrote:
                                  > > Is it because I am using notetab pro ver: 5.61?
                                  >
                                  > Yes it is, that clip is in the old syntax. The following is untested
                                  > but ought to work:
                                  >
                                  > H="Add <br>"
                                  > ; select one line or many lines you wish to add the suffix to.
                                  > ; run clip
                                  > ^!Replace "(\R)" >> "<br>$1" HRSA
                                  >
                                  > Axel

                                  This works great! Thanks!
                                • Bert Byfield
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                                    Here's what I ended up with (uses a choice of prefixes):

                                    Insert Prefix to Lines 2
                                    ; this one leaves empty lines alone:
                                    ; ^!Replace "^(.+)$" >> "^?[(T=C;H=6)Prefix to Insert is
                                    =_!|//|rem|;|'|^T]$1" HRAS
                                    ; this one inserts the prefix on empty lines too:
                                    ^!Replace "^(.*)$" >> "^?[(T=C;H=6)Prefix to Insert is
                                    =_!|//|rem|;|'|^T]$1" HRAS

                                    (The Replace lines are split by my mail program)