Re: insert boiler plate in messages using a clip

  • rpdooling
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2005
      >>so I could insert the
      > appropriate texts to replace the markers<<

      If you are only creating one doc at a time, why not just make a clip
      instead of a template and use wizard fields?

      ---letter clip begin----

      E.g. Dear ^?[insert name]:

      I haven't talked to you for ^?[insert time period].

      And so I'm writing etc.

      -------

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Offen" <yahoo@o...> wrote:

      > I would like to have a template with several markers includes so that
      > I could run a clip that would open a dialog box so I could insert the
      > appropriate texts to replace the markers.
      >
      > It would be sort of like the html header clip where you fill in title
      > and other tags.
      >
      > How do I call the markers into a clip dialog box?
      >
      > I see the clip as a sort of universal find and replace clip. I can't
      > get the search and replace clips to behave predictably.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Doug

    • Doug Offen
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 12, 2005
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:

        > >>so I could insert the
        > > appropriate texts to replace the markers<<
        >
        > If you are only creating one doc at a time, why not just make a clip
        > instead of a template and use wizard fields?

        I probably will be doing one document at a time for some tasks. There
        will be times when I would like to create a series of documents with
        merged data, but I guess that's whole different kettle of fish.

        How would i set up a clip with wizard fields.? I've never really
        figured that out.

        Basically I want to combine some text passages into html coding so I
        can just jump from one insert to the next. I would like to develop it
        so I can set up the merge codes ahead and let a clip put them all
        together in the correct spots.

        I'm not sure how to do it or if there is an existing cli I can modify.

        Thanks

        Doug
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 12, 2005
          Doug,

          What is needed is more information on what you are trying to do, with
          perhaps sample data.

          Your request is too vague to give more than vague suggestions.

          Under Help > Help on Clip Programming Is an excellent resource for
          getting started. Under the Contents tab is a whole topic group on "Clip
          Wizards & Fields".

          Also looking at other clips that are similar to what you are trying to
          do, is a big help.

          RP had an example of a wizard in his sample letter.

          A clip will insert whatever is in the clip unless it is a comment,
          label, or a command to do something else.

          Larry Hamilton
          Kairos Computer Solutions
          http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
          Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

          Doug Offen wrote:

          >I probably will be doing one document at a time for some tasks. There
          >will be times when I would like to create a series of documents with
          >merged data, but I guess that's whole different kettle of fish.
          >
          >How would i set up a clip with wizard fields.? I've never really
          >figured that out.
          >
          >Basically I want to combine some text passages into html coding so I
          >can just jump from one insert to the next. I would like to develop it
          >so I can set up the merge codes ahead and let a clip put them all
          >together in the correct spots.
          >
          >I'm not sure how to do it or if there is an existing cli I can modify.
          >
          >Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
          >
          >Thanks
          >
          >Doug

        • rpdooling
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 12, 2005
            Doug,

            Study the "Insert Href link" and "Multiple Fields" clips in the Sample
            Code library.

            If you've never done wizards you probably aren't ready to try a merge.
            But wizards are easy. Just study the samples and the "Clip Wizards &
            Fields" under Clip Programming Help.

            rpd

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Offen" <yahoo@o...> wrote:

            > > > appropriate texts to replace the markers<<
            > >
            > > If you are only creating one doc at a time, why not just make a clip
            > > instead of a template and use wizard fields?
            > >
            > I probably will be doing one document at a time for some tasks. There
            > will be times when I would like to create a series of documents with
            > merged data, but I guess that's whole different kettle of fish.
            >
            > How would i set up a clip with wizard fields.? I've never really
            > figured that out.
            >
            > Basically I want to combine some text passages into html coding so I
            > can just jump from one insert to the next. I would like to develop it
            > so I can set up the merge codes ahead and let a clip put them all
            > together in the correct spots.
            >
            > I'm not sure how to do it or if there is an existing cli I can modify.

            > Thanks
            >
            > Doug

          • Doug Offen
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 12, 2005
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:

              > Doug,
              >
              > Study the "Insert Href link" and "Multiple Fields" clips in the Sample
              > Code library.
              >
              > If you've never done wizards you probably aren't ready to try a merge.
              > But wizards are easy. Just study the samples and the "Clip Wizards &
              > Fields" under Clip Programming Help.
              >
              > rpd
              Thanks rpd and Larry.

              What I was contemplating was using notetab to achieve results similar
              to a couple of programs I just bought. Quite frankly neither of the
              programs do exactly what I want. They seem to be quite similar to some
              of the clips that are in noetab already so I thought some kind of
              wizard or merge would work as well and be customizable to my style.

              I would like to take a text file and markup the title, author,
              author's resource data, and parts of or all of the article. Then I
              would like to dump those marked up passages into several different
              places in an html document. For example the title would go into the
              <title> </title> tags, as well as in meta tags and <h1> </h1>tags in
              the body. Ultimately I would set up a number of text files and then
              have a clip compile the new html documents with a merge type of action.

              I guess it is way out of my abilities at the moment. I'll keep working
              with the clips and modifying them to work the way I would like.

              Thanks for the advice.

              Doug
            • Don - htmlfixit.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 12, 2005
                > What I was contemplating was using notetab to achieve results similar
                > to a couple of programs I just bought. Quite frankly neither of the
                > programs do exactly what I want. They seem to be quite similar to some
                > of the clips that are in noetab already so I thought some kind of
                > wizard or merge would work as well and be customizable to my style.
                >
                > I would like to take a text file and markup the title, author,
                > author's resource data, and parts of or all of the article. Then I
                > would like to dump those marked up passages into several different
                > places in an html document. For example the title would go into the
                > <title> </title> tags, as well as in meta tags and <h1> </h1>tags in
                > the body. Ultimately I would set up a number of text files and then
                > have a clip compile the new html documents with a merge type of action.
                >
                > I guess it is way out of my abilities at the moment. I'll keep working
                > with the clips and modifying them to work the way I would like.
                >
                > Thanks for the advice.
                >
                > Doug

                I do this all of the time. Easily done. I often load the stuff into a
                delimited file (sometimes from a wizard in notetab) and sometimes from
                another program like access, excel or csv'ed. My clip reads the file,
                loads the info into an array or processes it (you can even do multiple
                articles in one file if you like). If you give a couple of samples, I
                probably have a few clips up the alley.
              • Doug Offen
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 12, 2005
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:
                  > > Doug

                  > I do this all of the time. Easily done. I often load the stuff into a
                  > delimited file (sometimes from a wizard in notetab) and sometimes from
                  > another program like access, excel or csv'ed. My clip reads the file,
                  > loads the info into an array or processes it (you can even do multiple
                  > articles in one file if you like). If you give a couple of samples, I
                  > probably have a few clips up the alley.

                  Hello Don

                  I want to use *.txt files from online services that typically have a
                  title, author, body of text, and author's info tag.

                  I have created a folder called "offen" in the files area. This link is
                  an example of a *.txt file I would use.

                  http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YGOeQxwsHKVUjJyg7_UrvqsjPdzm58KRnJzpj6MBVyGpnTu42Ysov_n3AH1qhhOtWWCXY1WUiMV9TQCsTnT12xKu-eEA/offen%20/7_Tools_to_Prevent_Identity_Theft_Fraud.txt

                  I then convert it to an *.html file using the modify tab in NoteTab. I
                  have modified the basic template through View>Options>Internet. I am
                  not finished fine tuning the changes yet which will include a separate
                  style sheet and server side includes for menus and ad placements.

                  Once it is an html document I:
                  Make the title a headline.
                  Copy and paste the title into the <title></title> tags.
                  Copy and paste the title and first paragraph into meta tags.
                  Paste in keywords in meta tags.
                  Find and convert link tags to clickable links.
                  Create a table around the author information.
                  Copy and paste the title and first paragraph into a separate
                  index.html page that will tie all of the article pages together.

                  The *.html page looks like this in the offen folder in files.
                  http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YGOeQxdPuj9UjJygOF3X_5C0sF7TSifOJoiU2EB_C_qwHu7axluvP7gZon6Cap_ybWSYQYjr03NSD1jfr7M7ZcDTJpCU/offen%20/7_Tools_to_Prevent_Identity_Theft_Fraud.htm

                  Each time I play with the process, I advance it closer to a finished
                  automated routine. I have been working on the suggestions from "Larry"
                  and "rpd". Those tips have helped tremendously today. I had forgotten
                  about the sample library.

                  I put another *.txt and *.html file in the folder too. The html file
                  has not been modified with my cut and paste efforts.

                  Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

                  Thanks.

                  Doug