Changing Selected Text

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2005
      How do I change a selected area of text? For instance, if I have a
      JavaScript on a page that is used in the header and then I want to
      display it on the page, I need to change the "<" tags in the one that
      will be displayed in order for it to display correctly on the page, i.e.,

      <script type="text/javascript">
      <!--
      function format(str) {
      index = str.indexOf(".");
      if (index < 0) {
      str = str + ".00";
      } else {
      str = str.substring(0, index + 3);
      if (str.length < (index + 3)) str += "0";
      }
      return str;
      }
      //-->
      </script>

      If I am using a wizard to enter the script in both areas (by just
      pasting it once), how can I just change just the one that will be
      displayed? (I hope I'm making sense and that it's clear.)

      Lee

    • Hugo Paulissen
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2005
        Lee Underwood wrote:

        >How do I change a selected area of text? For instance, if I have a
        >JavaScript on a page that is used in the header and then I want to
        >display it on the page, I need to change the "<" tags in the one that
        >will be displayed in order for it to display correctly on the page, i.e.,

        Hi Lee,

        If I have understood your question you could try something like this...
        It changes the selected text to something you can display.
        If you want to paste it on a different part of your page, just press
        CTRL+V (or use the edit-paste command)...

        ^!Set %scripttext%=^$strReplace("<";"<";"^$GetSelection$";0;0)$
        ^!Set %scripttext%=<pre>^%NL%^%scripttext%^%NL%</pre>
        ^!SetClipboard ^%scripttext%

        Hugo
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 10, 2005
          Hi Lee,

          If I understand you correctly you only want it changed in the
          selected text using a Clip like when using the ^!Replace command.
          You can add the "H" option when using ^!Replace like

          ^!Replace "this" >> "that" SH

          or

          ^!Find "This" S
          ^!IfError [Cancel|End|Exit|:Label|^!Jump +10] I think their all valid <g>
          ^!Insert this tag

          http://www.sojourner.us/software
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2005
            Hi Lee,

            >If I understand you correctly you only want it changed in the
            >selected text using a Clip like when using the ^!Replace command.
            >You can add the "H" option when using ^!Replace like
            >
            >^!Replace "this" >> "that" SH

            I wasn't quite clear on that, because it will only do the first
            one it finds as it is now. However, if you only want it done in a
            certain selection as in more text selected than just a single tag
            and you loop it, the selection will be lost. I'm going to stop
            here so I don't add anymore confusion and if I am on the right
            track I'll explain more if need be.

            From what I gather though is you want to only change what is in
            the selection. If there are multiple instances of the certain tag
            inside the selection and you want them all changed, but nothing
            outside the selection, then you will need to loop it re-selecting
            the text each time before you use ^!Replace.

            <--- Copy below this line --->
            H=Edit Multiple Tags in Selection
            ; Pre-select text and execute Clip.
            ; eMailed on 12-10-2005, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
            ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

            ^!Set %End%=^$GetRowEnd$:^$GetColEnd$
            ^!Jump Select_Start
            ^!Set %Start%=^$GetRowStart$:^$GetColEnd$

            :Loop
            ^!SetCursor ^%End%
            ^!SelectTo ^%Start%
            ^!Replace "This" >> "That" HAS
            ^!IfError DoMore
            ^!Goto Loop

            :DoMore
            ^!Info You would maybe do other stuff here...

            <--- Copy above this line --->
            <--- Right click over a Library --->
            <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

            I have a number of working examples of doing different things
            with ^!Find and ^!Replace in Clips in my Replace library. Search
            in between lines, popup File/Replace box to put start and finish
            words end, replace between markers, Checkbox ^!Replace popup so
            you always have it start with the features you want, multiple
            searches, If in line..., AND/OR, BUT NOT, and some more. I
            suggest you look through them. Extract into NoteTab's Libraries
            folder: http://www.notetab.net/zip/replace.zip

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 10, 2005
              Thanks, Jody,

              I'm trying to replace certain text in a area that is after another
              area just like it. I'll try what you gave ma and look at the other
              clips. Thanks again.

              Lee