RE: [Clip] Re: Problems with command line groff

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
      I recently encountered a similar situation whereby calling a cmd executable
      using
      full Path/Filename just wouldn't work. I haven't had time to investigate as
      to why,
      but I'm sure damn curious. But be-that-as-it-may ... what I alternately did
      was first
      instructed in my batch script a change directory (cd /d PATH) to the
      executable,
      then called it from there. I don't know why, but that works ... go figure!
      Give this a
      try and see if it's your remedy as well.

      P.S. If anyone can explain this behavior, do share.

      "Today's the best day of my life...and now you're part of it!" ... Craig

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
        I've used the ^!chdir gimmick or done the same thing in Perl or
        Windows scripting. Also, sometimes this seems to work. Don't know why
        (watch for wrapping in the "Set" line:

        Set %FileName%="d:\BigLong Hairy Dir with spaces\And Longer
        still\Great Work Of Textual Art.doc"

        ^!Shell winword.exe file://"^%FileName%"

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <geekyouright@h...> wrote:

        > I recently encountered a similar situation whereby calling a cmd
        executable
        > using
        > full Path/Filename just wouldn't work. I haven't had time to
        investigate as
        > to why,
        > but I'm sure damn curious. But be-that-as-it-may ... what I
        alternately did
        > was first
        > instructed in my batch script a change directory (cd /d PATH) to the
        > executable,
        > then called it from there. I don't know why, but that works ... go
        figure!
        > Give this a
        > try and see if it's your remedy as well.
        >
        > P.S. If anyone can explain this behavior, do share.

        > "Today's the best day of my life...and now you're part of it!" ... Craig

        On Behalf
> [...]
        > | |
        > | | or
        > | |
        > | | "^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test
        > | |
        > | | I have also tried putting the path to groff in a variable, and the
        > | | paths to the test and test.ps in a variable. Then I tried the
        > | | options -mm -Tps as part of the %groff% variable.
        > | |
        > | | Some options create a 0 byte test.ps file, but other options do not.
        > | |
        > | | My head is about to run out of hair, and I didn't have much to
        start
        > | | with. ;-)
        > | |
        > | | Any suggestions are most welcome!
        > | |
        > | | I am using NoteTab Pro 4.95 on WinXP Home (I have also tried it on

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
          RP/Harvey/Craig/Alan,

          Yes, I got it working with the ^!chdir. The clip I had of something
          similar had a ^!chdir in it, but I put the wrong directory after the
          ^!chdir, so then I tried all the variations I listed. Alan, I had tried
          what you suggested also, with & without quote. I did not try ^!DOS, but
          I may later.

          At home, I purposefully installed without a space in the path, the
          default is to c:\program files\, which is what I have at work. The
          ^!chdir solved all my problems. I had not done what I was trying to do
          for awhile, so I forgot what the solution was. I am building some
          specialized clip libraries, so was trying to get it working for the
          lowest common denominator. The libraries will need to work with the
          least amount of tweaking, so I do not create more support work for
          myself. ;-)

          I do not know why the full path does not work for all exe's. It would be
          nice to know why.

          This is one of those situations that I solved myself. Usually, I do not
          email the group, because I figure it out as I write the email. ;-)
          Often, as I write an email, in trying to explain it, the light bulb goes
          on.

          It is nice to share in the been there, done that, camaraderie of this
          list. It's hard to believe that I'm coming up on 8 years as a NoteTab user.

          Thanks!

          Larry Hamilton
          Kairos Computer Solutions
          http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
          Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

          rpdooling wrote:

          >I've used the ^!chdir gimmick or done the same thing in Perl or
          >Windows scripting. Also, sometimes this seems to work. Don't know why
          >(watch for wrapping in the "Set" line:
          >
          >Set %FileName%="d:\BigLong Hairy Dir with spaces\And Longer
          >still\Great Work Of Textual Art.doc"
          >
          >^!Shell winword.exe file://"^%FileName%"

        • abairheart
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 14, 2005
            Y'all,

            Regarding the full path versus Chdir:

            I "suspect" the cd versus full path problem has to do with
            different parts of Windows/(dos) having different path parsing
            requirements.

            To test this, try converting the full path to a DOS (8+3) path.
            The rules for these conversions is to use the first 6 letters in the
            file name, followed by ~1, or ~2 ... if more than 1 file meets the six
            letter specs. I think the extension is just truncated to 3 letters.
            Try "dir /x" to test this.

            Abair