Re: Problems with command line groff

  • lm_hamilton
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2005
      Now, I must really seem nuts.... seem? ;-)

      anyway, the ^!chdir C:\GnuWin32\bin\ before the clip fixed the problem.

      I do not understand why using the full path does not work, but setting
      the directory does.

      Now I seem to recall that this is a topic off and on for clips of this
      type.

      Larry

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:

      > Well, here I am showing myself one suggestion.... ;-)
      >
      > I had to re-boot to test adding the c:\gnuwin32\bin directory to my
      path.

      > That made this clip work:
      >
      > ^!groff -mm -Tps ^%outputdir%test >^%outputdir%testCLIP.ps
      >
      > where ^%outputdir%=c:\Outputs\
      >
      > However, I want this script to be portable and not require novice
      > users to fiddle with the path and require a re-boot.
      >
      > Off to re-boot to clear the path setting and try
      > ^!chdir C:\GnuWin32\bin\ before the above clip....
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am working with some Windows ports of Unix/Linux tools from the
      > > GnuWin32 project at Sourceforge.
      > >
      > > I have been working with two of them, grep and groff. They are both
      > > Console Mode, i.e. command line only programs.
      > >
      > > When writing clips for such programs, I always get a working command
      > > line and then modify it for NoteTab clips.
      > >
      > > The one for grep works from the Command Line and from a NoteTab clip.
      > >
      > > GREP Command Line:
      > > C:\GnuWin32\bin>grep -v "^1 _UID" c:\archives\test.txt
      > > >c:\archives\cleantest.txt
      > >
      > > GREP Clip Command:
      > > ^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\grep -v "^1 _UID" c:\archives\test.txt
      > > >c:\archives\cleantest.txt
      > >
      > > However, I cannot get the groff command that works from the Command
      > > Line to work in a NoteTab Clip.
      > >
      > > GROFF Command Line:
      > > C:\GnuWin32\bin>groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test >C:\Outputs\test.ps
      > >
      > > I have tried all combinations of commands and quotes I can think of,
      > > but I cannot get it to run. I have looked at all the esoteric examples
      > > that I can find, but still no go.
      > >
      > > I have tried simply ^!, or ^!Run, ^!Shell, etc. with quotes around
      > > various parts of the clip line, such as:
      > >
      > > ^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff "-mm -Tps" C:\Outputs\test >C:\Outputs\test.ps
      > >
      > > or
      > >
      > > "^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff "-mm -Tps" C:\Outputs\test
      >C:\Outputs\test.ps"
      > >
      > > or
      > >
      > > "^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test >C:\Outputs\test.ps"
      > >
      > > I have also tried putting the path to groff in a variable, and the
      > > paths to the test and test.ps in a variable. Then I tried the options
      > > -mm -Tps as part of the %groff% variable.
      > >
      > > Some options create a 0 byte test.ps file, but other options do not.
      > >
      > > My head is about to run out of hair, and I didn't have much to start
      > > with. ;-)
      > >
      > > Any suggestions are most welcome!
      > >
      > > I am using NoteTab Pro 4.95 on WinXP Home (I have also tried it on
      > Win2k).
      > >
      > > TIA!
      > >
      > > Larry Hamilton

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2005
        lm_hamilton wrote:
> [...]
        >>>
        >>> I have tried simply ^!, or ^!Run, ^!Shell, etc. with quotes around
        >>> various parts of the clip line, such as:
        >>>
        >>> ^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff "-mm -Tps" C:\Outputs\test >C:\Outputs\test.ps
        >>>
        >>> or
        >>>
        >>> "^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff "-mm -Tps" C:\Outputs\test
        >> C:\Outputs\test.ps"
        >>> or
        >>>
        >>> "^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test >C:\Outputs\test.ps"
        >>>
        >>> I have also tried putting the path to groff in a variable, and the
        >>> paths to the test and test.ps in a variable. Then I tried the options
        >>> -mm -Tps as part of the %groff% variable.
        >>>
        >>> Some options create a 0 byte test.ps file, but other options do not.
        >>>
        >>> My head is about to run out of hair, and I didn't have much to start
        >>> with. ;-)
        >>>
        >>> Any suggestions are most welcome!
        >>>
        >>> I am using NoteTab Pro 4.95 on WinXP Home (I have also tried it on

        Larry,

        I don't know if it will make a difference but, have you tried the ^!Dos
        and ^!Shell commands, after all, it is a command line utility.

        ^!Dos "C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test >C:\Outputs\test.ps"
        ^!Shell "C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test >C:\Outputs\test.ps"

        ºvº
        05.12.07

        "Dancing: Why Men Don't Like To."

        hrs > hsavage@...
      • acummingsus
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2005
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:

          > I am working with some Windows ports of Unix/Linux tools from the
          > GnuWin32 project at Sourceforge.

          [ . . ]
          > However, I cannot get the groff command that works from the Command
          > Line to work in a NoteTab Clip.
          >
          > GROFF Command Line:
          > C:\GnuWin32\bin>groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test >C:\Outputs\test.ps
          >
          > I have tried all combinations of commands and quotes I can think of,
          > but I cannot get it to run. [ . . ]

          ^!C:\GnuWin32\bin>groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test >C:\Outputs\test.ps

          ^!C:\GnuWin32\bin > groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test > C:\Outputs\test.ps

          Did you try like either of those (no quotes)

          I see your prob is solved via chdir.

          I'm curious about (the lack of) quotes because unless I'm mistaken the
          quotes is for when is a space in the path (and you've *no* space in
          your paths themselves). (since space is the
          arguements/commandline_options delimiter, thus a space in a path would
          be wrongly interpreted unless quotes are around such a segment which
          enable correct interpretation).

          Alan.
        • Craig
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
            I recently encountered a similar situation whereby calling a cmd executable
            using
            full Path/Filename just wouldn't work. I haven't had time to investigate as
            to why,
            but I'm sure damn curious. But be-that-as-it-may ... what I alternately did
            was first
            instructed in my batch script a change directory (cd /d PATH) to the
            executable,
            then called it from there. I don't know why, but that works ... go figure!
            Give this a
            try and see if it's your remedy as well.

            P.S. If anyone can explain this behavior, do share.

            "Today's the best day of my life...and now you're part of it!" ... Craig

            | Now, I must really seem nuts.... seem? ;-)
            | anyway, the ^!chdir C:\GnuWin32\bin\ before the clip fixed the problem.
            | I do not understand why using the full path does not work, but setting the
            directory does.
            | Now I seem to recall that this is a topic off and on for clips of this
            type.

            | Larry

            | --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:
            |
            | Well, here I am showing myself one suggestion.... ;-)
            |
            | I had to re-boot to test adding the c:\gnuwin32\bin directory to my
            path.

            | That made this clip work:
            |
            | ^!groff -mm -Tps ^%outputdir%test >^%outputdir%testCLIP.ps
            |
            | where ^%outputdir%=c:\Outputs\
            |
            | However, I want this script to be portable and not require novice
            | users to fiddle with the path and require a re-boot.
            |
            | Off to re-boot to clear the path setting and try
            | ^!chdir C:\GnuWin32\bin\ before the above clip....
            |
            | Larry
            |
            | --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:
            | |
            | | I am working with some Windows ports of Unix/Linux tools from the
            | | GnuWin32 project at Sourceforge.
            | |
            | | I have been working with two of them, grep and groff. They are both
            | | Console Mode, i.e. command line only programs.
            | |
            | | When writing clips for such programs, I always get a working command
            | | line and then modify it for NoteTab clips.
            | |
            | | The one for grep works from the Command Line and from a NoteTab
            | | clip.
            | |
            | | GREP Command Line:
            | | C:\GnuWin32\bin>grep -v "^1 _UID" c:\archives\test.txt
            | | >c:\archives\cleantest.txt
            | |
            | | GREP Clip Command:
            | | ^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\grep -v "^1 _UID" c:\archives\test.txt
            | | >c:\archives\cleantest.txt
            | |
            | | However, I cannot get the groff command that works from the Command
            | | Line to work in a NoteTab Clip.
            | |
            | | GROFF Command Line:
            | | C:\GnuWin32\bin>groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test >C:\Outputs\test.ps
            | |
            | | I have tried all combinations of commands and quotes I can think of,
            | | but I cannot get it to run. I have looked at all the esoteric
            | | examples that I can find, but still no go.
            | |
            | | I have tried simply ^!, or ^!Run, ^!Shell, etc. with quotes around
            | | various parts of the clip line, such as:
            | |
            | | ^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff "-mm -Tps" C:\Outputs\test
            | | >C:\Outputs\test.ps
            | |
            | | or
            | |
            | | "^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff "-mm -Tps" C:\Outputs\test\Outputs\test.ps"
            | |
            | | or
            | |
            | | "^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test
            | | >C:\Outputs\test.ps"
            | |
            | | I have also tried putting the path to groff in a variable, and the
            | | paths to the test and test.ps in a variable. Then I tried the
            | | options -mm -Tps as part of the %groff% variable.
            | |
            | | Some options create a 0 byte test.ps file, but other options do not.
            | |
            | | My head is about to run out of hair, and I didn't have much to start
            | | with. ;-)
            | |
            | | Any suggestions are most welcome!
            | |
            | | I am using NoteTab Pro 4.95 on WinXP Home (I have also tried it on
            | Win2k).
            | |
            | | TIA!
            | |
            | | Larry Hamilton
          • rpdooling
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
              I've used the ^!chdir gimmick or done the same thing in Perl or
              Windows scripting. Also, sometimes this seems to work. Don't know why
              (watch for wrapping in the "Set" line:

              Set %FileName%="d:\BigLong Hairy Dir with spaces\And Longer
              still\Great Work Of Textual Art.doc"

              ^!Shell winword.exe file://"^%FileName%"

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <geekyouright@h...> wrote:

              > I recently encountered a similar situation whereby calling a cmd
              executable
              > using
              > full Path/Filename just wouldn't work. I haven't had time to
              investigate as
              > to why,
              > but I'm sure damn curious. But be-that-as-it-may ... what I
              alternately did
              > was first
              > instructed in my batch script a change directory (cd /d PATH) to the
              > executable,
              > then called it from there. I don't know why, but that works ... go
              figure!
              > Give this a
              > try and see if it's your remedy as well.
              >
              > P.S. If anyone can explain this behavior, do share.

              > "Today's the best day of my life...and now you're part of it!" ... Craig

              On Behalf
> [...]
              > | |
              > | | or
              > | |
              > | | "^!C:\GnuWin32\bin\groff -mm -Tps C:\Outputs\test
              > | |
              > | | I have also tried putting the path to groff in a variable, and the
              > | | paths to the test and test.ps in a variable. Then I tried the
              > | | options -mm -Tps as part of the %groff% variable.
              > | |
              > | | Some options create a 0 byte test.ps file, but other options do not.
              > | |
              > | | My head is about to run out of hair, and I didn't have much to
              start
              > | | with. ;-)
              > | |
              > | | Any suggestions are most welcome!
              > | |
              > | | I am using NoteTab Pro 4.95 on WinXP Home (I have also tried it on

            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
                RP/Harvey/Craig/Alan,

                Yes, I got it working with the ^!chdir. The clip I had of something
                similar had a ^!chdir in it, but I put the wrong directory after the
                ^!chdir, so then I tried all the variations I listed. Alan, I had tried
                what you suggested also, with & without quote. I did not try ^!DOS, but
                I may later.

                At home, I purposefully installed without a space in the path, the
                default is to c:\program files\, which is what I have at work. The
                ^!chdir solved all my problems. I had not done what I was trying to do
                for awhile, so I forgot what the solution was. I am building some
                specialized clip libraries, so was trying to get it working for the
                lowest common denominator. The libraries will need to work with the
                least amount of tweaking, so I do not create more support work for
                myself. ;-)

                I do not know why the full path does not work for all exe's. It would be
                nice to know why.

                This is one of those situations that I solved myself. Usually, I do not
                email the group, because I figure it out as I write the email. ;-)
                Often, as I write an email, in trying to explain it, the light bulb goes
                on.

                It is nice to share in the been there, done that, camaraderie of this
                list. It's hard to believe that I'm coming up on 8 years as a NoteTab user.

                Thanks!

                Larry Hamilton
                Kairos Computer Solutions
                http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
                Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

                rpdooling wrote:

                >I've used the ^!chdir gimmick or done the same thing in Perl or
                >Windows scripting. Also, sometimes this seems to work. Don't know why
                >(watch for wrapping in the "Set" line:
                >
                >Set %FileName%="d:\BigLong Hairy Dir with spaces\And Longer
                >still\Great Work Of Textual Art.doc"
                >
                >^!Shell winword.exe file://"^%FileName%"

              • abairheart
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 14, 2005
                  Y'all,

                  Regarding the full path versus Chdir:

                  I "suspect" the cd versus full path problem has to do with
                  different parts of Windows/(dos) having different path parsing
                  requirements.

                  To test this, try converting the full path to a DOS (8+3) path.
                  The rules for these conversions is to use the first 6 letters in the
                  file name, followed by ~1, or ~2 ... if more than 1 file meets the six
                  letter specs. I think the extension is just truncated to 3 letters.
                  Try "dir /x" to test this.

                  Abair