Re: [Clip] Re: Pulling from an external file

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
      Sorry it wasn't clear (I knew what I meant ;-> ).

      Yes, Don. You're on the right track. This is for a site that posts
      JavaScripts online for visitor's to copy.

      Here is what I have:

      * A page that gives a short summary of the script. It also gives the
      creator's name, Web site URL and a link to the script on our Web
      site. It is formatted into four different formats to be used for
      posting online.

      * Then I have a page with the actual script. It has the summary from
      the index page, the script for copying, and a demo of the script
      running on the page.

      * Then I have a third page that just has the summary of the script
      and the script itself, which is sent via e-mail at the visitor's request.

      I am currently using a small program (created with VB, I think) that
      I enter the info into and it uses templates to create the pages. The
      actual data entered into the program is:

      + Name of the script
      + Category for the script
      + Date uploaded
      + Creator's name and Web site
      + Script portion to go into head section or external file
      + Script portion to go into body section
      + Script portion to go into body tag

      The small program is no longer really functional as the site is
      changing and I have to make changes to each of the files. I wanted to
      see if I could create a clip or series of clips that would take the
      place of the small program, that I can change if I need to add categories, etc.

      Actually I just need the ability to pull information from one "data"
      file into specified fields in three other files. I was hoping it
      could be done using a series of clips. I could just post the
      information into clip wizards in each file but I was hoping to
      automate it a little more than that.

      I hope that was enough detail. If not, let me know and I'll try to
      explain it better. I appreciate the help you guys.

      Lee

      On 11/17/2005 12:01 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
      >I am trying to follow this thread. I found your first post
      >confusing to be honest as to your goals. I am now thinking that what
      >you might want to do is make three template files, one for each of
      >your final files. Then you create an ini file or even a flat file.
      >You via a clip interface enter the data that will be redundant to
      >the three files, and then the templates will pull that data in. Am
      >I getting close? Examples always help if you can give us one.

    • acummingsus
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
        [ . . ]
        > Actually I just need the ability to pull information from one "data"
        > file into specified fields in three other files. I was hoping it
        > could be done using a series of clips. I could just post the
        > information into clip wizards in each file but I was hoping to
        > automate it a little more than that.

        It should able to be done. But to do it, it's needed:

        1. some sort of "markers" (a certain uniqueness of some sort to each
        seperate "data item" that also can/does correspond to a uniqueness in
        the file where that "data item" is to be inserted.

        It's easy to create marker in the template or output file: just have
        some sort of unique tag to find -- then, snag data element, find the
        relevant marker tag in template, replace marker tag with data element
        -- then move on to the next data element/item.

        2. whether or not any/some data fields are ever or can be missing from
        the data source.

        3. how your data source is delimited.

        IOW, how about (link(s)) to an example web page or two (or 3 since
        if/since it's 3 final and_different? output pages) to look at of the
        final result(s). Also, how about an example of the solo data source
        that is to be fed to the three templates. And, any other from the
        numbered list above.

        --
        Alan.
      • Lee Underwood
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
          Alan,

          As you can see below, the templates do use "markers" for the data
          (it's the fields enclosed with brackets). Actually, I figured, if I
          could get the data from a file, the "markers" would just be fields
          that collected the data from the file.

          Sure, I can give examples. You can find one of the pages with the
          script and the demo located at:
          http://javascript.internet.com/miscellaneous/hide-multiple-e-mail-addresses.html
          It uses the same info as the templates below.

          The template for the demo look like this:

          :::::::: BEGIN TEMPLATE ::::::::::

          Script Name: [filename]

          Website URL: [url1]

          [cleancode] (This is where the code itself is placed)

          :::::::: END TEMPLATE ::::::::::

          The other template looks like this (actually, this one could be used
          as the data input file, with the use of wizards):

          :::::::: BEGIN TEMPLATE ::::::::::

          <P>
          <B>Title:</B> <A name="[underscorefilename]"
          href="[url1]">[filename]</A><BR>[contribinfo]<B>Details:</B>
          [filesize] * Uploaded
          [dateMonthDYYYY]<BR><B>Description:</B> [description]</P><P
          CLASS="listingalign" align=right>[ <A href="[url1]#source">Get Source
          Code</A> ]
          <hr noshade size="2"></P>

          <P>
          <DT>
          <A href="[url1]">[filename]</A> - [description]
          </DT>
          <P>

          [categoryname] -> [filename]

          [url2]

          [filesize] * Uploaded [dateMonthDYYYY]

          [description]

          :::::::: END TEMPLATE ::::::::::

          I hope that helps. again, I appreciate it. It's not so much setting
          up the wizards; it's just trying to figure out how to obtain the data
          from an external file.

          Lee

          >IOW, how about (link(s)) to an example web page or two (or 3 since
          >if/since it's 3 final and_different? output pages) to look at of the
          >final result(s). Also, how about an example of the solo data source
          >that is to be fed to the three templates. And, any other from the
          >numbered list above.

        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
            > I hope that helps. again, I appreciate it. It's not so much setting
            > up the wizards; it's just trying to figure out how to obtain the data
            > from an external file.
            >
            > Lee
            The easy way is to use a custom ini file for each of the files you are
            doing in my humble opinion. From help here are the ini functions:

            If you want to preserve a variable's value even after closing NoteTab,
            you can store it in an INI file by using the "^!SaveValue" command and
            then restore it later by using the "^$GetValue()$" function.

            ^!ProgIniLoad [IniName] (added in v4.6)
            Loads options from the NoteTab ini file or registry. Optionally, you can
            specify an alternative INI file (it must exist or else the command sets
            the error condition). Note that the [AutoLoad] section is ignored by
            this command.

            ^!ProgIniSave [IniName] (added in v4.6)
            Saves the current program settings into the NoteTab ini file or
            registry. Optionally, you can specify an alternative INI file (it is
            automatically created if it does not exist).

            ^!ClearValue [Section:]Key
            Deletes the specified key in NoteTab's INI file, or in the INI file
            defined by the ^!SetIniFile command. If a section name is not defined,
            the key entry is searched under the [ClipValues] section. Section names
            are only supported since version 4.51.

            ^!ClearValues [Section]
            Deletes all the keys under the specified section in NoteTab's INI file,
            or in the INI file defined by the ^!SetIniFile command. If a section
            name is not defined, the [ClipValues] section will be cleared. Section
            names are only supported since version 4.51.

            ^!SaveValue [Section:]Key=Value
            Saves the key and its value in NoteTab's INI file, or in the INI file
            defined by the ^!SetIniFile command. If a section name is not defined,
            the key entry is written under the [ClipValues] section. Section names
            are only supported since version 4.51. The maximum amount of text that
            can be saved this way is 1024 characters. Example:
            ^!SaveValue MySection:UserName=Raymond

            The harder way is to build a delimited file and parse that file loading
            the contents into variables as you go.

            Either way you can then build a template file.

            If you look at the HTML library and look at the new HTML page clip, it
            calls a template called: HTML.tpl
            Under files, templates, edit open that file -- CAREFUL DON'T MODIFY AND
            SAVE IT! Only if you open it that way will you see what it has in it
            instead of running it. It interacts with the notetab ini file to get
            some information that it stores from time to time usage of this clip so
            that you don't have to enter it in fresh each time. You make three
            templates for your three files, load the data from your custom ini files
            and you are off to the races.

            I am happy to help if necessary, but it sounded more like you wanted to
            self build but were stuck on the how to get rolling phase.

            The above help stuff is all from the help file and thus no doubt
            copywrite of Fookes Software etc etc etc.
          • Lee Underwood
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
              Don,

              So what you're saying is that I would enter the information into
              three .ini files and then run three different templates? If that is
              the case, wouldn't it just be easier to set-up three templates with
              wizards and run them?

              Perhaps I'm a little confused ...

              Lee

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
                [ . . ]
                > I hope that helps. again, I appreciate it. It's not so much setting
                > up the wizards; it's just trying to figure out how to obtain the data
                > from an external file.

                Ok. Now I've seen two out of the three templates. Also I've not yet
                seen the (solo) data source file.

                If you just want access to a file: Don gave you great idea but I
                think that is mostly applicable given a constant, (albeit global as in
                with/includes many choices) non changing data source (unless you edit
                the .ini file each time your data source the data changes).

                If all you want is access to a file:

                ^$GetFileText$

                You can either browse to the file to be snagged, OR if it is easy to
                just open the file, then open it and then

                ; get content of file
                ^!Set %myfile%=^$GetFileText(^**)$
                ; close the file where content came from
                ^!Menu file/close
                ; view content in variable
                ^!Info ^%myfile%
                ; --- end ---

                Alan.
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                  I may not have been clear. I am not suggesting that you use THE Notetab
                  ini file. You can create as many ini files as you wish. If you make an
                  ini file for each javascript, then you can have a clip run that ini
                  file, load the variables, run three template files in a row, one for
                  each output page, and you save and you are set.
                • Lee Underwood
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                    Ah, that clears it up. I didn't think you meant THE NoteTab INI file.
                    I just thought you meant creating three ini files, then creating
                    three more from the templates, using the ini.

                    O.k., so you are saying to put the data into an ini file (according
                    to what you mentioned previously), then have each template file pull
                    from the ini file. Is that correct?

                    Thanks for the patience Don.

                    Lee

                    On 11/17/2005 10:18 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

                    >I may not have been clear. I am not suggesting that you use THE Notetab
                    >ini file. You can create as many ini files as you wish. If you make an
                    >ini file for each javascript, then you can have a clip run that ini
                    >file, load the variables, run three template files in a row, one for
                    >each output page, and you save and you are set.

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    >--
                  • Don - htmlfixit.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                      Lee Underwood wrote:
                      > Ah, that clears it up. I didn't think you meant THE NoteTab INI file.
                      > I just thought you meant creating three ini files, then creating
                      > three more from the templates, using the ini.
                      >
                      > O.k., so you are saying to put the data into an ini file (according
                      > to what you mentioned previously), then have each template file pull
                      > from the ini file. Is that correct?
                      >
                      > Thanks for the patience Don.
                      >
                      > Lee

                      Yes Lee, and you can have a clip that prompts you for the data, loads it
                      into the "custom" ini file, calls template one, puts the proper data
                      into it, then saves it, calls template two, then puts the data into it
                      then saves it, then calls template three and puts the data into it, then
                      saves it ... later you can modify the ini file if the data changes
                      (example to correct a typo), and then re run the clip.

                      The alternative is to store the data in a file and then parse the file
                      pulling things out of it. That can be done as well.
                    • Lee Underwood
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
                        Don,

                        Thanks. That sounds like what I want. I'll try to figure it out from
                        the info you gave me previously. Thanks for all your help.

                        Lee

                        On 11/17/2005 11:49 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

                        >Yes Lee, and you can have a clip that prompts you for the data, loads it
                        >into the "custom" ini file, calls template one, puts the proper data
                        >into it, then saves it, calls template two, then puts the data into it
                        >then saves it, then calls template three and puts the data into it, then
                        >saves it ... later you can modify the ini file if the data changes
                        >(example to correct a typo), and then re run the clip.
                        >
                        >The alternative is to store the data in a file and then parse the file
                        >pulling things out of it. That can be done as well.

                      • rpdooling
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
                          Lee,

                          If you store the data in a separate, delimited file, or are retrieving
                          from such a file, take a look at the clips in the Sample Code library
                          under the heading "Delimited Text" The three clips "Copy Fields,"
                          "Search Fields," and "Copy Data Column" give a decent introduction to
                          using NoteTab as a simple database and how to open an external tab
                          delimited file and search it.

                          Also if you go this route, the ModifyRecordSet clips (by Björn Braden)
                          in the library here (or maybe they were in the NoteTab site library)
                          are good for examining and entering data into tab-delimited files.

                          rpd

                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:

                          > Don,
                          >
                          > Thanks. That sounds like what I want. I'll try to figure it out from
                          > the info you gave me previously. Thanks for all your help.
                          >
                          > Lee
                          >

                          > On 11/17/2005 11:49 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                          >
                          > >Yes Lee, and you can have a clip that prompts you for the data,
                          loads it
                          > >into the "custom" ini file, calls template one, puts the proper data
                          > >into it, then saves it, calls template two, then puts the data into it
                          > >then saves it, then calls template three and puts the data into it,
                          then
                          > >saves it ... later you can modify the ini file if the data changes
                          > >(example to correct a typo), and then re run the clip.
                          > >
                          > >The alternative is to store the data in a file and then parse the file
                          > >pulling things out of it. That can be done as well.
                          >

                          > --
                          11/16/2005

                        • rpdooling
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
                            Lee,

                            Sorry the ModifyRecordSet collection is at the NoteTab site (not here
                            on Yahoo). It's in the Other Libraries collection.

                            http://www.notetab.com/other.php

                            I learned a lot about accessing external, delimited files with these
                            clips: looping through records (any line with a hard return) and
                            fields (any delimited text), which it sounds like what you want to do.
                            If your external file is not delimited, try to think of a way to make
                            it so, as it's your best bet for searching and accessing the data.

                            rpd

                            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:

                            > Don,
                            >
                            > Thanks. That sounds like what I want. I'll try to figure it out from
                            > the info you gave me previously. Thanks for all your help.
                            >
                            > Lee
                            >

                            > On 11/17/2005 11:49 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                            >
                            > >Yes Lee, and you can have a clip that prompts you for the data,
                            loads it
                            > >into the "custom" ini file, calls template one, puts the proper data
                            > >into it, then saves it, calls template two, then puts the data into it
                            > >then saves it, then calls template three and puts the data into it,
                            then
                            > >saves it ... later you can modify the ini file if the data changes
                            > >(example to correct a typo), and then re run the clip.
                            > >
                            > >The alternative is to store the data in a file and then parse the file
                            > >pulling things out of it. That can be done as well.
                            >

                            > --
                            11/16/2005

                          • Lee Underwood
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
                              Thanks. I'll give it a look. I appreciate it.

                              Lee

                              On 11/18/2005 09:34 AM, rpdooling wrote:

                              >Lee,
                              >
                              >Sorry the ModifyRecordSet collection is at the NoteTab site (not here
                              >on Yahoo). It's in the Other Libraries collection.
                              >
                              >http://www.notetab.com/other.php
                              >
                              >I learned a lot about accessing external, delimited files with these
                              >clips: looping through records (any line with a hard return) and
                              >fields (any delimited text), which it sounds like what you want to do.
                              >If your external file is not delimited, try to think of a way to make
                              >it so, as it's your best bet for searching and accessing the data.
                              >
                              >rpd
                              >
                              >--- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Don,
                              > >
                              > > Thanks. That sounds like what I want. I'll try to figure it out from
                              > > the info you gave me previously. Thanks for all your help.
                              > >
                              > > Lee
                              > >

                              > > On 11/17/2005 11:49 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                              > >
                              > > >Yes Lee, and you can have a clip that prompts you for the data,
                              >loads it
                              > > >into the "custom" ini file, calls template one, puts the proper data
                              > > >into it, then saves it, calls template two, then puts the data into it
                              > > >then saves it, then calls template three and puts the data into it,
                              >then
                              > > >saves it ... later you can modify the ini file if the data changes
                              > > >(example to correct a typo), and then re run the clip.
                              > > >
                              > > >The alternative is to store the data in a file and then parse the file
                              > > >pulling things out of it. That can be done as well.
                              > >

                              > > --
                              >11/16/2005

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links
                              >

                              >--
                            • rpdooling
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
                                The "Search Fields" clip in NoteTab's own SampleCode Library is the
                                probably simplest and most useful example for grabbing data from a
                                delimited file.

                                rpd

                                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:

                                > Thanks. I'll give it a look. I appreciate it.
                                >
                                > Lee
                                >

                                > On 11/18/2005 09:34 AM, rpdooling wrote:
                                >
                                > >Lee,
                                > >
                                > >Sorry the ModifyRecordSet collection is at the NoteTab site (not here
                                > >on Yahoo). It's in the Other Libraries collection.
                                > >
                                > >http://www.notetab.com/other.php
                                > >
                                > >I learned a lot about accessing external, delimited files with these
                                > >clips: looping through records (any line with a hard return) and
                                > >fields (any delimited text), which it sounds like what you want to do.
                                > >If your external file is not delimited, try to think of a way to make
                                > >it so, as it's your best bet for searching and accessing the data.
                                > >
                                > >rpd
                                > >
                                > >--- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Don,
                                > > >
                                > > > Thanks. That sounds like what I want. I'll try to figure it out from
                                > > > the info you gave me previously. Thanks for all your help.

                                > >loads it
                                > >then

                                > > > --
                                > >11/16/2005