Pulling from an external file

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 16, 2005
      I hope I didn't miss this one in the archives.

      I am trying to create a clip, or series of clips, to pull data from
      an external file. Let me explain:

      I want to enter information in a template and then be able to build
      three other files from that template. How can I accomplish something like that?

      Lee

    • acummingsus
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 16, 2005
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
        [ snip ]
        > I am trying to create a clip, or series of clips, to pull data from
        > an external file. Let me explain:
        >
        > I want to enter information in a template and then be able to build
        > three other files from that template. How can I accomplish something
        like that?

        Well, there's the .tpl template. 2, you can also use any text file as
        a template (with $GetFileText$). 3, You can use a clip as a
        template. A clip need not contain any executable commands. A text
        only clip when called will paste its text content into the current doc.

        That's three possible

        Beyond any infrequent editing of template, I don't get it whether you
        need interactivity or not.

        But it sounds like you simply need a storage along with ability to
        easily copy that storage into three identical files.

        If so, I'd use # 2 above or for # 3 see ^!Clip (or there's $GetClipText$)

        or if you just launch a text only clip, it pastes its content into
        current doc.

        ^!Menu file/new
        ^!Clip my_text_storage_boilerplate_clip
        ^!Menu file/new
        ^!Clip my_text_storage_boilerplate_clip
        ^!Menu file/new
        ^!Clip my_text_storage_boilerplate_clip
        ; ----- end ----

        There's provided three new docs/files, each contains identical
        content. content came from the (child or sub routine) clip that was
        called via the ^!Clip command.

        If I missed the target a bit, just post back about where, what, etc.

        --
        Alan.
      • Lee Underwood
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
          On 11/17/2005 12:18 AM, acummingsus wrote:

          >Well, there's the .tpl template. 2, you can also use any text file as
          >a template (with $GetFileText$). 3, You can use a clip as a
          >template. A clip need not contain any executable commands. A text
          >only clip when called will paste its text content into the current doc.

          I guess I didn't explain myself very clearly. I use templates now.
          That's not what I mean. I have a document that has data in it. It
          will change on a regular basis. I need to take the data for a given
          day and create three other files from it. The three other files
          would, obviously, be template files. They would be used to create new
          files. What I am trying to find out is if there is a method to
          extract the data from the file containing the data and have it
          entered into certain "fields" in the templates automatically so I
          don't need to re-enter the data into each of the three files
          separately. Is that possible? (I know I can have input fields where
          data is entered manually or "automatically", such as the date, filename, etc.)

          File containing data

          ---------------------------------
          | | |
          file#1 file#2 file#3

          Lee

        • rpdooling
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
            >>What I am trying to find out is if there is a method to
            extract the data from the file containing the data and have it
            entered into certain "fields" in the templates automatically so I
            don't need to re-enter the data into each of the three files
            separately. Is that possible?<<

            Tell us more about the file you are getting the data from? A
            tab-delimited text file? An outline? Are you talking about extracting
            ALL of the data? Just some? Different parts on different days?

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:

            > On 11/17/2005 12:18 AM, acummingsus wrote:
            >
            > >Well, there's the .tpl template. 2, you can also use any text file as
            > >a template (with $GetFileText$). 3, You can use a clip as a
            > >template. A clip need not contain any executable commands. A text
            > >only clip when called will paste its text content into the current doc.
            >
            > I guess I didn't explain myself very clearly. I use templates now.
            > That's not what I mean. I have a document that has data in it. It
            > will change on a regular basis. I need to take the data for a given
            > day and create three other files from it. The three other files
            > would, obviously, be template files. They would be used to create new
            > files. What I am trying to find out is if there is a method to
            > extract the data from the file containing the data and have it
            > entered into certain "fields" in the templates automatically so I
            > don't need to re-enter the data into each of the three files
            > separately. Is that possible? (I know I can have input fields where
            > data is entered manually or "automatically", such as the date,
            filename, etc.)

            > File containing data
            > |

            > ---------------------------------
            > | | |
            > file#1 file#2 file#3
            >

            > Lee
            >

            > --
            11/16/2005

          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
              rpdooling wrote:
              >>>What I am trying to find out is if there is a method to
              >
              > extract the data from the file containing the data and have it
              > entered into certain "fields" in the templates automatically so I
              > don't need to re-enter the data into each of the three files
              > separately. Is that possible?<<

              I am trying to follow this thread. I found your first post confusing to
              be honest as to your goals. I am now thinking that what you might want
              to do is make three template files, one for each of your final files.
              Then you create an ini file or even a flat file. You via a clip
              interface enter the data that will be redundant to the three files, and
              then the templates will pull that data in. Am I getting close?

              Examples always help if you can give us one.
            • Lee Underwood
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                Sorry it wasn't clear (I knew what I meant ;-> ).

                Yes, Don. You're on the right track. This is for a site that posts
                JavaScripts online for visitor's to copy.

                Here is what I have:

                * A page that gives a short summary of the script. It also gives the
                creator's name, Web site URL and a link to the script on our Web
                site. It is formatted into four different formats to be used for
                posting online.

                * Then I have a page with the actual script. It has the summary from
                the index page, the script for copying, and a demo of the script
                running on the page.

                * Then I have a third page that just has the summary of the script
                and the script itself, which is sent via e-mail at the visitor's request.

                I am currently using a small program (created with VB, I think) that
                I enter the info into and it uses templates to create the pages. The
                actual data entered into the program is:

                + Name of the script
                + Category for the script
                + Date uploaded
                + Creator's name and Web site
                + Script portion to go into head section or external file
                + Script portion to go into body section
                + Script portion to go into body tag

                The small program is no longer really functional as the site is
                changing and I have to make changes to each of the files. I wanted to
                see if I could create a clip or series of clips that would take the
                place of the small program, that I can change if I need to add categories, etc.

                Actually I just need the ability to pull information from one "data"
                file into specified fields in three other files. I was hoping it
                could be done using a series of clips. I could just post the
                information into clip wizards in each file but I was hoping to
                automate it a little more than that.

                I hope that was enough detail. If not, let me know and I'll try to
                explain it better. I appreciate the help you guys.

                Lee

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
                  [ . . ]
                  > Actually I just need the ability to pull information from one "data"
                  > file into specified fields in three other files. I was hoping it
                  > could be done using a series of clips. I could just post the
                  > information into clip wizards in each file but I was hoping to
                  > automate it a little more than that.

                  It should able to be done. But to do it, it's needed:

                  1. some sort of "markers" (a certain uniqueness of some sort to each
                  seperate "data item" that also can/does correspond to a uniqueness in
                  the file where that "data item" is to be inserted.

                  It's easy to create marker in the template or output file: just have
                  some sort of unique tag to find -- then, snag data element, find the
                  relevant marker tag in template, replace marker tag with data element
                  -- then move on to the next data element/item.

                  2. whether or not any/some data fields are ever or can be missing from
                  the data source.

                  3. how your data source is delimited.

                  IOW, how about (link(s)) to an example web page or two (or 3 since
                  if/since it's 3 final and_different? output pages) to look at of the
                  final result(s). Also, how about an example of the solo data source
                  that is to be fed to the three templates. And, any other from the
                  numbered list above.

                  --
                  Alan.
                • Lee Underwood
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                    Alan,

                    As you can see below, the templates do use "markers" for the data
                    (it's the fields enclosed with brackets). Actually, I figured, if I
                    could get the data from a file, the "markers" would just be fields
                    that collected the data from the file.

                    Sure, I can give examples. You can find one of the pages with the
                    script and the demo located at:
                    http://javascript.internet.com/miscellaneous/hide-multiple-e-mail-addresses.html
                    It uses the same info as the templates below.

                    The template for the demo look like this:

                    :::::::: BEGIN TEMPLATE ::::::::::

                    Script Name: [filename]

                    Website URL: [url1]

                    [cleancode] (This is where the code itself is placed)

                    :::::::: END TEMPLATE ::::::::::

                    The other template looks like this (actually, this one could be used
                    as the data input file, with the use of wizards):

                    :::::::: BEGIN TEMPLATE ::::::::::

                    <P>
                    <B>Title:</B> <A name="[underscorefilename]"
                    href="[url1]">[filename]</A><BR>[contribinfo]<B>Details:</B>
                    [filesize] * Uploaded
                    [dateMonthDYYYY]<BR><B>Description:</B> [description]</P><P
                    CLASS="listingalign" align=right>[ <A href="[url1]#source">Get Source
                    Code</A> ]
                    <hr noshade size="2"></P>

                    <P>
                    <DT>
                    <A href="[url1]">[filename]</A> - [description]
                    </DT>
                    <P>

                    [categoryname] -> [filename]

                    [url2]

                    [filesize] * Uploaded [dateMonthDYYYY]

                    [description]

                    :::::::: END TEMPLATE ::::::::::

                    I hope that helps. again, I appreciate it. It's not so much setting
                    up the wizards; it's just trying to figure out how to obtain the data
                    from an external file.

                    Lee

                    >IOW, how about (link(s)) to an example web page or two (or 3 since
                    >if/since it's 3 final and_different? output pages) to look at of the
                    >final result(s). Also, how about an example of the solo data source
                    >that is to be fed to the three templates. And, any other from the
                    >numbered list above.

                  • Don - htmlfixit.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                      > I hope that helps. again, I appreciate it. It's not so much setting
                      > up the wizards; it's just trying to figure out how to obtain the data
                      > from an external file.
                      >
                      > Lee
                      The easy way is to use a custom ini file for each of the files you are
                      doing in my humble opinion. From help here are the ini functions:

                      If you want to preserve a variable's value even after closing NoteTab,
                      you can store it in an INI file by using the "^!SaveValue" command and
                      then restore it later by using the "^$GetValue()$" function.

                      ^!ProgIniLoad [IniName] (added in v4.6)
                      Loads options from the NoteTab ini file or registry. Optionally, you can
                      specify an alternative INI file (it must exist or else the command sets
                      the error condition). Note that the [AutoLoad] section is ignored by
                      this command.

                      ^!ProgIniSave [IniName] (added in v4.6)
                      Saves the current program settings into the NoteTab ini file or
                      registry. Optionally, you can specify an alternative INI file (it is
                      automatically created if it does not exist).

                      ^!ClearValue [Section:]Key
                      Deletes the specified key in NoteTab's INI file, or in the INI file
                      defined by the ^!SetIniFile command. If a section name is not defined,
                      the key entry is searched under the [ClipValues] section. Section names
                      are only supported since version 4.51.

                      ^!ClearValues [Section]
                      Deletes all the keys under the specified section in NoteTab's INI file,
                      or in the INI file defined by the ^!SetIniFile command. If a section
                      name is not defined, the [ClipValues] section will be cleared. Section
                      names are only supported since version 4.51.

                      ^!SaveValue [Section:]Key=Value
                      Saves the key and its value in NoteTab's INI file, or in the INI file
                      defined by the ^!SetIniFile command. If a section name is not defined,
                      the key entry is written under the [ClipValues] section. Section names
                      are only supported since version 4.51. The maximum amount of text that
                      can be saved this way is 1024 characters. Example:
                      ^!SaveValue MySection:UserName=Raymond

                      The harder way is to build a delimited file and parse that file loading
                      the contents into variables as you go.

                      Either way you can then build a template file.

                      If you look at the HTML library and look at the new HTML page clip, it
                      calls a template called: HTML.tpl
                      Under files, templates, edit open that file -- CAREFUL DON'T MODIFY AND
                      SAVE IT! Only if you open it that way will you see what it has in it
                      instead of running it. It interacts with the notetab ini file to get
                      some information that it stores from time to time usage of this clip so
                      that you don't have to enter it in fresh each time. You make three
                      templates for your three files, load the data from your custom ini files
                      and you are off to the races.

                      I am happy to help if necessary, but it sounded more like you wanted to
                      self build but were stuck on the how to get rolling phase.

                      The above help stuff is all from the help file and thus no doubt
                      copywrite of Fookes Software etc etc etc.
                    • Lee Underwood
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                        Don,

                        So what you're saying is that I would enter the information into
                        three .ini files and then run three different templates? If that is
                        the case, wouldn't it just be easier to set-up three templates with
                        wizards and run them?

                        Perhaps I'm a little confused ...

                        Lee

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
                          [ . . ]
                          > I hope that helps. again, I appreciate it. It's not so much setting
                          > up the wizards; it's just trying to figure out how to obtain the data
                          > from an external file.

                          Ok. Now I've seen two out of the three templates. Also I've not yet
                          seen the (solo) data source file.

                          If you just want access to a file: Don gave you great idea but I
                          think that is mostly applicable given a constant, (albeit global as in
                          with/includes many choices) non changing data source (unless you edit
                          the .ini file each time your data source the data changes).

                          If all you want is access to a file:

                          ^$GetFileText$

                          You can either browse to the file to be snagged, OR if it is easy to
                          just open the file, then open it and then

                          ; get content of file
                          ^!Set %myfile%=^$GetFileText(^**)$
                          ; close the file where content came from
                          ^!Menu file/close
                          ; view content in variable
                          ^!Info ^%myfile%
                          ; --- end ---

                          Alan.
                        • Don - htmlfixit.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                            I may not have been clear. I am not suggesting that you use THE Notetab
                            ini file. You can create as many ini files as you wish. If you make an
                            ini file for each javascript, then you can have a clip run that ini
                            file, load the variables, run three template files in a row, one for
                            each output page, and you save and you are set.
                          • Lee Underwood
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                              Ah, that clears it up. I didn't think you meant THE NoteTab INI file.
                              I just thought you meant creating three ini files, then creating
                              three more from the templates, using the ini.

                              O.k., so you are saying to put the data into an ini file (according
                              to what you mentioned previously), then have each template file pull
                              from the ini file. Is that correct?

                              Thanks for the patience Don.

                              Lee

                              On 11/17/2005 10:18 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

                              >I may not have been clear. I am not suggesting that you use THE Notetab
                              >ini file. You can create as many ini files as you wish. If you make an
                              >ini file for each javascript, then you can have a clip run that ini
                              >file, load the variables, run three template files in a row, one for
                              >each output page, and you save and you are set.

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links
                              >

                              >--
                            • Don - htmlfixit.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 17, 2005
                                Lee Underwood wrote:
                                > Ah, that clears it up. I didn't think you meant THE NoteTab INI file.
                                > I just thought you meant creating three ini files, then creating
                                > three more from the templates, using the ini.
                                >
                                > O.k., so you are saying to put the data into an ini file (according
                                > to what you mentioned previously), then have each template file pull
                                > from the ini file. Is that correct?
                                >
                                > Thanks for the patience Don.
                                >
                                > Lee

                                Yes Lee, and you can have a clip that prompts you for the data, loads it
                                into the "custom" ini file, calls template one, puts the proper data
                                into it, then saves it, calls template two, then puts the data into it
                                then saves it, then calls template three and puts the data into it, then
                                saves it ... later you can modify the ini file if the data changes
                                (example to correct a typo), and then re run the clip.

                                The alternative is to store the data in a file and then parse the file
                                pulling things out of it. That can be done as well.
                              • Lee Underwood
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
                                  Don,

                                  Thanks. That sounds like what I want. I'll try to figure it out from
                                  the info you gave me previously. Thanks for all your help.

                                  Lee

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
                                    Lee,

                                    If you store the data in a separate, delimited file, or are retrieving
                                    from such a file, take a look at the clips in the Sample Code library
                                    under the heading "Delimited Text" The three clips "Copy Fields,"
                                    "Search Fields," and "Copy Data Column" give a decent introduction to
                                    using NoteTab as a simple database and how to open an external tab
                                    delimited file and search it.

                                    Also if you go this route, the ModifyRecordSet clips (by Björn Braden)
                                    in the library here (or maybe they were in the NoteTab site library)
                                    are good for examining and entering data into tab-delimited files.

                                    rpd

                                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:

                                    > Don,
                                    >
                                    > Thanks. That sounds like what I want. I'll try to figure it out from
                                    > the info you gave me previously. Thanks for all your help.
                                    >
                                    > Lee
                                    >

                                    > On 11/17/2005 11:49 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                                    >
                                    > >Yes Lee, and you can have a clip that prompts you for the data,
                                    loads it
                                    > >into the "custom" ini file, calls template one, puts the proper data
                                    > >into it, then saves it, calls template two, then puts the data into it
                                    > >then saves it, then calls template three and puts the data into it,
                                    then
                                    > >saves it ... later you can modify the ini file if the data changes
                                    > >(example to correct a typo), and then re run the clip.
                                    > >
                                    > >The alternative is to store the data in a file and then parse the file
                                    > >pulling things out of it. That can be done as well.
                                    >

                                    > --
                                    11/16/2005

                                  • rpdooling
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
                                      Lee,

                                      Sorry the ModifyRecordSet collection is at the NoteTab site (not here
                                      on Yahoo). It's in the Other Libraries collection.

                                      http://www.notetab.com/other.php

                                      I learned a lot about accessing external, delimited files with these
                                      clips: looping through records (any line with a hard return) and
                                      fields (any delimited text), which it sounds like what you want to do.
                                      If your external file is not delimited, try to think of a way to make
                                      it so, as it's your best bet for searching and accessing the data.

                                      rpd

                                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:

                                      > Don,
                                      >
                                      > Thanks. That sounds like what I want. I'll try to figure it out from
                                      > the info you gave me previously. Thanks for all your help.
                                      >
                                      > Lee
                                      >

                                      > On 11/17/2005 11:49 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >Yes Lee, and you can have a clip that prompts you for the data,
                                      loads it
                                      > >into the "custom" ini file, calls template one, puts the proper data
                                      > >into it, then saves it, calls template two, then puts the data into it
                                      > >then saves it, then calls template three and puts the data into it,
                                      then
                                      > >saves it ... later you can modify the ini file if the data changes
                                      > >(example to correct a typo), and then re run the clip.
                                      > >
                                      > >The alternative is to store the data in a file and then parse the file
                                      > >pulling things out of it. That can be done as well.
                                      >

                                      > --
                                      11/16/2005

                                    • Lee Underwood
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
                                        Thanks. I'll give it a look. I appreciate it.

                                        Lee

                                        On 11/18/2005 09:34 AM, rpdooling wrote:

                                        >Lee,
                                        >
                                        >Sorry the ModifyRecordSet collection is at the NoteTab site (not here
                                        >on Yahoo). It's in the Other Libraries collection.
                                        >
                                        >http://www.notetab.com/other.php
                                        >
                                        >I learned a lot about accessing external, delimited files with these
                                        >clips: looping through records (any line with a hard return) and
                                        >fields (any delimited text), which it sounds like what you want to do.
                                        >If your external file is not delimited, try to think of a way to make
                                        >it so, as it's your best bet for searching and accessing the data.
                                        >
                                        >rpd
                                        >
                                        >--- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Don,
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks. That sounds like what I want. I'll try to figure it out from
                                        > > the info you gave me previously. Thanks for all your help.
                                        > >
                                        > > Lee
                                        > >

                                        > > On 11/17/2005 11:49 PM, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > >Yes Lee, and you can have a clip that prompts you for the data,
                                        >loads it
                                        > > >into the "custom" ini file, calls template one, puts the proper data
                                        > > >into it, then saves it, calls template two, then puts the data into it
                                        > > >then saves it, then calls template three and puts the data into it,
                                        >then
                                        > > >saves it ... later you can modify the ini file if the data changes
                                        > > >(example to correct a typo), and then re run the clip.
                                        > > >
                                        > > >The alternative is to store the data in a file and then parse the file
                                        > > >pulling things out of it. That can be done as well.
                                        > >

                                        > > --
                                        >11/16/2005

                                        >Yahoo! Groups Links
                                        >

                                        >--
                                      • rpdooling
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 18, 2005
                                          The "Search Fields" clip in NoteTab's own SampleCode Library is the
                                          probably simplest and most useful example for grabbing data from a
                                          delimited file.

                                          rpd

                                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:

                                          > Thanks. I'll give it a look. I appreciate it.
                                          >
                                          > Lee
                                          >

                                          > On 11/18/2005 09:34 AM, rpdooling wrote:
                                          >
                                          > >Lee,
                                          > >
                                          > >Sorry the ModifyRecordSet collection is at the NoteTab site (not here
                                          > >on Yahoo). It's in the Other Libraries collection.
                                          > >
                                          > >http://www.notetab.com/other.php
                                          > >
                                          > >I learned a lot about accessing external, delimited files with these
                                          > >clips: looping through records (any line with a hard return) and
                                          > >fields (any delimited text), which it sounds like what you want to do.
                                          > >If your external file is not delimited, try to think of a way to make
                                          > >it so, as it's your best bet for searching and accessing the data.
                                          > >
                                          > >rpd
                                          > >
                                          > >--- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Don,
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Thanks. That sounds like what I want. I'll try to figure it out from
                                          > > > the info you gave me previously. Thanks for all your help.

                                          > >loads it
                                          > >then

                                          > > > --
                                          > >11/16/2005