MD5 checksum clip : Resolved

  • thefrank
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 14, 2005
      yes. it seems that I used Text function and should have used File
      function for the correct, and matching, MD5 checksum result.

      ^!ClearVariables
      ^!SetWizardTitle Get MD5
      ^!SetWizardLabel browse and select file
      ^!Set %filename%=^?{(T=O;)}
      ^!Set %goodquery%=^$GetMD5File(^%filename%)$
      ^!Info ^%goodquery%

      I still think it is a good method, especially when used correctly ;)

      also, I still feel silly.

      what a great list this is. I still get the email digest, but have not
      contributed much in the last 3 or 4 years. maybe I remember why now...

      regards to all,

      tf
    • rpdooling
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 14, 2005
        >>but have not contributed much in the last 3 or 4 years. maybe I
        remember why now...<<

        Oh, come on! Don't let feeling silly stop you. I learned about md5 by
        monitoring the exchange. I'm glad you did it.

        rd

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "thefrank" <tf@t...> wrote:

        > yes. it seems that I used Text function and should have used File
        > function for the correct, and matching, MD5 checksum result.
        >
        > ^!ClearVariables
        > ^!SetWizardTitle Get MD5
        > ^!SetWizardLabel browse and select file
        > ^!Set %filename%=^?{(T=O;)}
        > ^!Set %goodquery%=^$GetMD5File(^%filename%)$
        > ^!Info ^%goodquery%
        >
        > I still think it is a good method, especially when used correctly ;)
        >
        > also, I still feel silly.
        >
        > what a great list this is. I still get the email digest, but have not
        > contributed much in the last 3 or 4 years. maybe I remember why now...
        >
        > regards to all,
        >
        > tf

      • loro
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 14, 2005
          rpdooling wrote:
          > >>but have not contributed much in the last 3 or 4 years. maybe I
          >remember why now...<<
          >
          >Oh, come on! Don't let feeling silly stop you. I learned about md5 by
          >monitoring the exchange. I'm glad you did it.

          Yeah, me too. Hadn't used it before either. You should see the errors that
          my clips produce. I occasionally share clips with a friend and she always
          writes back and asks what she does wrong because this and that happens that
          shouldn't. Well, it isn't she that does something wrong! Usually turns out
          well in the end and that's what matters.

          Lotta
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 14, 2005
            thefrank wrote:
            > yes. it seems that I used Text function and should have used File
            > function for the correct, and matching, MD5 checksum result.
            >
            > I still think it is a good method, especially when used correctly ;)
            >
            > what a great list this is. I still get the email digest, but have not
            > contributed much in the last 3 or 4 years. maybe I remember why now...
            >
            > regards to all,
            >
            > tf

            tf, rpd, Alan C., Lotta,

            Although I haven't used the MD5 Checksum either I became curious and
            wrote a clip to handle most situations.

            With text files, the file can be loaded in NTP with text selected, or
            can be searched for, loaded and calculated using the wizard. All 3
            options available with the clip will return the same MD5 checksum
            number. With option 1 you needn't select a filename in the second entry
            point.

            To calculate the checksum with a non-text file the appropriate method to
            use should be the 3rd, (WHOLE_FILE) option.

            This clip makes it very easy to calculate the checksum for either type
            file for serious use or familiarization with checksums.

            The ^!Set %md5%= line may get wrapped in email, I isolated it to make it
            easier to correct if it does get wrapped.

            Try it, feel free to alter it any way you like.

            H="GetMD5 ID"
            ;_Modified-Updated~Created
            ;_20051114_3:57:08p_hsavage@...
            ^!ClearVariables
            ^!SetWizardTitle CHECKSUM MD5 ID
            ^!SetWizardLabel Browse And Select File
            ;
            ^!Set %md5%=^?[File or Text ChecksuM==SELECTED_TEXT|FILE_TEXT|_WHOLE_FILE]
            ;
            ^!IfSame 'SELECTED_TEXT' '^%md5%' SELECTED_TEXT
            ^!SetWizardLabel Browse And Select File
            ^!Set %filename%=^?[(T=O)GET MD5 CHECKSUM for=C:\]
            ^!Goto ^%md5%
            :SELECTED_TEXT
            ^!SetClipboard ^$GetMD5Text(^$GetSelection$)$
            ^!Goto END
            :FILE_TEXT
            ^!SetClipboard ^$GetMD5Text(^$GetFileText(^%filename%)$)$
            ^!Goto END
            :WHOLE_FILE
            ^!SetClipboard ^$GetMD5File(^%filename%)$
            :END
            ^!Info ^%md5^%nl%^$GetClipboard$

            ºvº
            05.11.14
            hrs > hsavage@...
          • rpdooling
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 15, 2005
              Dear hrs:

              Cool!

              I tried all three. Works great.

              Thanks.

              rpd

              ps - I've also been using that Fav_Clips download. Nifty.

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:

              > thefrank wrote:
              > > yes. it seems that I used Text function and should have used File
              > > function for the correct, and matching, MD5 checksum result.
              > >
              > > I still think it is a good method, especially when used correctly ;)
              > >
              > > what a great list this is. I still get the email digest, but have not
              > > contributed much in the last 3 or 4 years. maybe I remember why
              now...

              > > regards to all,
              > >
              > > tf
              >
              > tf, rpd, Alan C., Lotta,
              >
              > Although I haven't used the MD5 Checksum either I became curious and
              > wrote a clip to handle most situations.
              >
              > With text files, the file can be loaded in NTP with text selected, or
              > can be searched for, loaded and calculated using the wizard. All 3
              > options available with the clip will return the same MD5 checksum
              > number. With option 1 you needn't select a filename in the second
              entry
              > point.
              >
              > To calculate the checksum with a non-text file the appropriate
              method to
              > use should be the 3rd, (WHOLE_FILE) option.
              >
              > This clip makes it very easy to calculate the checksum for either type
              > file for serious use or familiarization with checksums.
              >
              > The ^!Set %md5%= line may get wrapped in email, I isolated it to
              make it
              > easier to correct if it does get wrapped.
              >
              > Try it, feel free to alter it any way you like.
              >
              > H="GetMD5 ID"
              > ;_Modified-Updated~Created
              > ;_20051114_3:57:08p_hsavage@p...
              > ^!ClearVariables
              > ^!SetWizardTitle CHECKSUM MD5 ID
              > ^!SetWizardLabel Browse And Select File
              > ;
              > ^!Set %md5%=^?[File or Text
              ChecksuM==SELECTED_TEXT|FILE_TEXT|_WHOLE_FILE]
              > ;
              > ^!IfSame 'SELECTED_TEXT' '^%md5%' SELECTED_TEXT
              > ^!SetWizardLabel Browse And Select File
              > ^!Set %filename%=^?[(T=O)GET MD5 CHECKSUM for=C:\]
              > ^!Goto ^%md5%
              > :SELECTED_TEXT
              > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetMD5Text(^$GetSelection$)$
              > ^!Goto END
              > :FILE_TEXT
              > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetMD5Text(^$GetFileText(^%filename%)$)$
              > ^!Goto END
              > :WHOLE_FILE
              > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetMD5File(^%filename%)$
              > :END
              > ^!Info ^%md5^%nl%^$GetClipboard$
              >
              > ºvº
              > 05.11.14
              > hrs > hsavage@p...

            • Charles M. Raine
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 15, 2005
                Hi hrs and others:

                I added a couple instruction to display the name of the file in the
                information window to better identify where the result was from.

                H="GetMD5 ID"
                ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                ;_20051114_3:57:08p_hsavage@...
                ;_20051115_2:30:01p_C. M. Raine
                ^!ClearVariables
                ^!SetWizardTitle CHECKSUM MD5 ID
                ^!SetWizardLabel Browse And Select File
                ;
                ^!Set %md5%=^?[File or Text ChecksuM==SELECTED_TEXT|FILE_TEXT|_WHOLE_FILE]
                ;
                ^!IfSame 'SELECTED_TEXT' '^%md5%' SELECTED_TEXT
                ^!SetWizardLabel Browse And Select File
                ^!Set %filename%=^?[(T=O)GET MD5 CHECKSUM for=C:\]
                ^!Goto ^%md5%
                :SELECTED_TEXT
                ^!SetClipboard ^$GetMD5Text(^$GetSelection$)$
                ^!Goto END
                :FILE_TEXT
                ^!Set %md5%=^%md5% for ^$GetFileName(^%filename%)$
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 15, 2005
                  Charles M. Raine wrote:
                  > Hi hrs and others:
                  >
                  > I added a couple instruction to display the name of the file in the
                  > information window to better identify where the result was from.
                  >
                  > H="GetMD5 ID"
                  > ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                  > ;_20051114_3:57:08p_hsavage@...
                  > ;_20051115_2:30:01p_C. M. Raine

                  Good idea Charles, it, usually, never hurts to have more info at any
                  given point so I modified the clip a little further.

                  H="GetMD5 ID"
                  ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                  ;_20051115_6:46:06p_hsavage@...
                  ;_20051115_2:30:01p_C. M. Raine
                  ^!ClearVariables
                  ^!SetWizardTitle CHECKSUM MD5 ID
                  ^!SetWizardLabel Browse And Select File
                  ^!Set %md5%=^?[File or Text ChecksuM==SELECTED_TEXT|FILE_TEXT|_WHOLE_FILE]
                  ^!IfSame 'SELECTED_TEXT' '^%md5%' SELECTED_TEXT
                  ^!SetWizardLabel Browse And Select File
                  ^!Set %filename%=^?[(T=O)GET MD5 CHECKSUM for=C:\]
                  ^!Goto ^%md5%
                  :SELECTED_TEXT
                  ^!Set %md5%=^%md5%^%nl%MD5 CHECKSUM for^%nl%^%nl%^$GetFileName(^##)$
                  ^!SetClipboard ^$GetMD5Text(^$GetSelection$)$
                  ^!Goto END
                  :FILE_TEXT
                  ^!Set %md5%=^%md5%^%nl%MD5 CHECKSUM for^%nl%^%nl%^$GetFileName(^%filename%)$
                  ^!SetClipboard ^$GetMD5Text(^$GetFileText(^%filename%)$)$
                  ^!Goto END
                  :WHOLE_FILE
                  ^!Set %md5%=^%md5%^%nl%MD5 CHECKSUM for^%nl%^%nl%^$GetFileName(^%filename%)$
                  ^!SetClipboard ^$GetMD5File(^%filename%)$
                  :END
                  ^!Info [C]^$StrUpper("^%md5^%nl%^%nl%^$GetClipboard$")$
                  ;^!Info [C]^%md5^%nl%^%nl%^$GetClipboard$

                  Users can un-comment either ^!Info line to see which display they prefer.

                  ºvº
                  05.11.15
                  hrs > hsavage@...
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 15, 2005
                    This got figured out just in time....

                    Slashdot has a link to an article about the imminent demise of MD5,
                    since it can be cracked with a dedicated high-end PC in about 45 minutes.

                    This clip is a lot easier than trying to track down where I put the
                    md5.exe for Windows I have somewhere on my hard drive.

                    Thanks for sharing!

                    Larry Hamilton
                    Kairos Computer Solutions
                    http://www.kairoscomputers.com/