Re: [Clip] Re: MD5 checksum clip

  • Alan C
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
      I guess it could be likened to a fingerprint.

      http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html
      <quote>
      MD5's can be used to determine that the file or iso you downloaded is a
      bit-for-bit copy of the remote file or iso.</quote>

      http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_chapter/coreutils_6.html#SEC26

      On Linux, (man md5sum) I use the command:

      md5sum my_dl_file.iso

      to verify a Linux .iso file that I downloaded. At www or ftp site where the
      .iso file is stored also exists a text file containing md5sums for any .iso
      files that are on that site.

      That command up there returns the "fingerprint" of the file that's on my
      hard drive. Such fingerprint must match the fingerprint that's in the
      mentioned text file at the remote site where I downloaded the .iso file
      from. A match tells me that my file is ok that it's an exact copy of the
      remote file that I downloaded.

      Out of over hundreds of downloads, it has only been once that it did not
      match which tell me my download is corrupt (I deleted it and re downloaded
      and then the two fingerprints matches)

      In that way, verifies authenticity versus a piece of the file is
      missing/been_altered.

      Alan.

      On 11/13/05, rpdooling <rpdooling@...> wrote:

      > Dear TF:
      >
      > I've never understood or used md5. Everytime I've tried it I get
      > nonmatches. Like the number you have on your site is different than
      > what I get when I run the below clip on the ColorPalettes.Zip file I
      > downloaded from your site. Not only that, if I download it again, the
      > result is yet a third different number.
      >
      > Also, doesn't your clip get the md5 result for a FILE not the text in
      > a file? There are two different functions in the NoteTab utilities
      > file. If there is a difference.
      >
      > Oh well,
      >
      > rpd

    • loro
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
        thefrank wrote:
        >well then. yes. I was able to duplicate your error. thank you!
        >
        >I have used MD5 before with good matches, and just moved on without
        >extensive testing. but I ran my own clip on my own file, and then
        >downloaded my own uploaded file to run my own clip again, to return a
        >different result.

        Don't you, in your clip, want ^$GetMD5File()$ rather than ^$GetMD5Text()$?
        Still doesn't match the signature at your page though. Could you have used
        ^$GetMD5Text()$ when you produced that, too?

        Lotta
      • rpdooling
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
          >>Could you have used ^$GetMD5Text()$ when you produced that, too?<<

          I bet Lotta is right (as usual). Using the NoteTab clip for Get md5 of
          FILE in the Utilities Library, I get the following result on both
          verions of the file I downloaded from your site:

          MD5 signature of "E:\Software Downloads\ColorPalates.zip":
          93a44e9f04ca8156f98d0413f482965d

          rd