MD5 checksum clip

  • thefrank
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2005
      someone on the html list was having a problem downloading corrupted
      files. MD5 is an easy way to checksum any files you would offer for
      download from your websites. this function is built into NoteTab.

      here is a clip that will get the MD5 result for a file:

      ^!ClearVariables
      ^!SetWizardTitle Get MD5
      ^!SetWizardLabel browse and select file
      ^!Set %filename%=^?{(T=O;)}
      ^!Set %goodquery%=^$GetMD5Text(^%filename%)$
      ^!Info ^%goodquery%

      here is an example of how I use it:

      http://www.thefrank.com/ntp

      any variance at all should generate a different MD5 checksum, even
      one that does not change the kb of the filesize.

      the MD5 checksum hash is also good to use with databases. use it to
      checksum new data with any existing old data to verify that you are
      not storing duplicate files under different names.

      regards,

      tf

      http://www.thefrank.com
    • rpdooling
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 13, 2005
        Dear TF:

        I've never understood or used md5. Everytime I've tried it I get
        nonmatches. Like the number you have on your site is different than
        what I get when I run the below clip on the ColorPalettes.Zip file I
        downloaded from your site. Not only that, if I download it again, the
        result is yet a third different number.

        Also, doesn't your clip get the md5 result for a FILE not the text in
        a file? There are two different functions in the NoteTab utilities
        file. If there is a difference.

        Oh well,

        rpd

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "thefrank" <tf@t...> wrote:

        > someone on the html list was having a problem downloading corrupted
        > files. MD5 is an easy way to checksum any files you would offer for
        > download from your websites. this function is built into NoteTab.
        >
        > here is a clip that will get the MD5 result for a file:
        >
        > ^!ClearVariables
        > ^!SetWizardTitle Get MD5
        > ^!SetWizardLabel browse and select file
        > ^!Set %filename%=^?{(T=O;)}
        > ^!Set %goodquery%=^$GetMD5Text(^%filename%)$
        > ^!Info ^%goodquery%
        >
        > here is an example of how I use it:
        >
        > http://www.thefrank.com/ntp
        >
        > any variance at all should generate a different MD5 checksum, even
        > one that does not change the kb of the filesize.
        >
        > the MD5 checksum hash is also good to use with databases. use it to
        > checksum new data with any existing old data to verify that you are
        > not storing duplicate files under different names.
        >
        > regards,
        >
        > tf
        >
        > http://www.thefrank.com

      • thefrank
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
          well then. yes. I was able to duplicate your error. thank you!

          I have used MD5 before with good matches, and just moved on without
          extensive testing. but I ran my own clip on my own file, and then
          downloaded my own uploaded file to run my own clip again, to return a
          different result.

          now I am stumped. I am wondering if this discrepancy may have something
          to do with zip? if this clip only hashes the filename, well then I feel
          silly. but then why would it not hash the downloaded identical filename
          to return the identical result?

          hmmmm....sharper minds may prevail here.

          perplexed,

          tf
        • Alan C
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
            I guess it could be likened to a fingerprint.

            http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html
            <quote>
            MD5's can be used to determine that the file or iso you downloaded is a
            bit-for-bit copy of the remote file or iso.</quote>

            http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_chapter/coreutils_6.html#SEC26

            On Linux, (man md5sum) I use the command:

            md5sum my_dl_file.iso

            to verify a Linux .iso file that I downloaded. At www or ftp site where the
            .iso file is stored also exists a text file containing md5sums for any .iso
            files that are on that site.

            That command up there returns the "fingerprint" of the file that's on my
            hard drive. Such fingerprint must match the fingerprint that's in the
            mentioned text file at the remote site where I downloaded the .iso file
            from. A match tells me that my file is ok that it's an exact copy of the
            remote file that I downloaded.

            Out of over hundreds of downloads, it has only been once that it did not
            match which tell me my download is corrupt (I deleted it and re downloaded
            and then the two fingerprints matches)

            In that way, verifies authenticity versus a piece of the file is
            missing/been_altered.

            Alan.

            On 11/13/05, rpdooling <rpdooling@...> wrote:

            > Dear TF:
            >
            > I've never understood or used md5. Everytime I've tried it I get
            > nonmatches. Like the number you have on your site is different than
            > what I get when I run the below clip on the ColorPalettes.Zip file I
            > downloaded from your site. Not only that, if I download it again, the
            > result is yet a third different number.
            >
            > Also, doesn't your clip get the md5 result for a FILE not the text in
            > a file? There are two different functions in the NoteTab utilities
            > file. If there is a difference.
            >
            > Oh well,
            >
            > rpd

          • loro
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
              thefrank wrote:
              >well then. yes. I was able to duplicate your error. thank you!
              >
              >I have used MD5 before with good matches, and just moved on without
              >extensive testing. but I ran my own clip on my own file, and then
              >downloaded my own uploaded file to run my own clip again, to return a
              >different result.

              Don't you, in your clip, want ^$GetMD5File()$ rather than ^$GetMD5Text()$?
              Still doesn't match the signature at your page though. Could you have used
              ^$GetMD5Text()$ when you produced that, too?

              Lotta
            • rpdooling
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
                >>Could you have used ^$GetMD5Text()$ when you produced that, too?<<

                I bet Lotta is right (as usual). Using the NoteTab clip for Get md5 of
                FILE in the Utilities Library, I get the following result on both
                verions of the file I downloaded from your site:

                MD5 signature of "E:\Software Downloads\ColorPalates.zip":
                93a44e9f04ca8156f98d0413f482965d

                rd