[Clip] Re: Ok Guru's I need HELP! Hyperlinks and Extracting URLs

  • acummingsus
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, ladyck3@c... wrote:

      > If it helps... I derive the links from a website using Internet
      Explorer.. I copy the lists ... there are many, into one document,
      then open it in NTB

      We need to see a sample of that which is "opened" in NTB at that
      point. IOW sample of what's in doc at that point.

      If it has sensitive info can you just leave the format the same but
      substitute with non sensitive material

      > and run the clip...

      Which clip? The last one I shared?

      > When I did, it saved the URLs in their <a href form (dont really
      need that, just the http://www 's but its no problem... Find/replace.
      Other's might use the clip so it may be needed for others... no biggie.

      >Then the question associated ends up below the URL but its not in one
      line,

      I was unaware of a "question associated" I was only aware of the "text
      that come from the hyperlink"

      We need to see more in the way of samples.

      sample input (as I listed above at point in NTB doc just prior to
      running of clip)

      + also *desired* sample output that originated from the input I mentioned.

      Alan.

      its truncated into maybe 25 or 30 characters per line.

      > When I paste this into Excel.. the URL fills one cell but the
      question next to it will be split into many cells depending on the
      line breaks in the data. I can run a formula to concatenate the cells
      but if there's a way to perfect the clip so the "question" itself is
      saved in one continuous line after the <a href> Using the <a href>
      I would then have a > to use as a delimiter and can "Text to column"
      easily.

      > <thinking out loud to myself and to you Alan> hehe :)
      >
      > Happy Monday, off to work...
      > Laurie
    • LaurieK
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
        Ok, here it is step by step. First I copy data

        a.. Can I Download To My Device?
        a.. How Do I Adjust the Volume On My Device?
        a.. How Do I Mute My Device?
        a.. How Do I Unlock My Device?

        The clip from the first email you sent (have not had a chance to test the
        one from this morning, was BIZZY ALL DAY)
        Produces this:

        style="font-size: 10pt">How Do I Adjust the Volume On My
        style="font-size: 10pt">How Do I Adjust the Volume On My
        0px; margin-bottom: 0px"> <font face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 10pt">
        Ultimately what I wish the end result to be is a text file that I can just
        copy/paste into Excel to appear like this:

        Can I Download To My Device? http://www.company.com/file1.htm
        How Do I Adjust the Volume On My Device?
        http://www.company.com/file2.htm
        How Do I Mute My Device? http://www.company.com/file3.htm
        How Do I Unlock My Device? http://www.company.com/file4.htm

        It makes on difference which column the URLs fall into thats no biggie

        Now the let me try the clip you sent in email this morning... the clip is
        workable but we may want to then add a comma and make it delimited..... or I
        can just do a find and replace, that's no biggie either..... the one thing
        I'd like to eliminate with this is the blank lines, supressing blank lines
        is a biggie

        Can I Download To My Device

        Can I Download To My Device? http://www.company.com/file1.htm

        How Do I Adjust the Volume On My Device?
        http://www.company.com/file2.htm

        How Do I Mute My Device? http://www.company.com/file3.htm

        How Do I Unlock My Device? http://www.company.com/file4.htm

        The hyperlink should not be there on the last one, sorry don't feel like
        putzing to remove it.

        Anyway, when I paste this into Excel it becomes question and URL in one cell
        straight across. If I paste from Excel it appears as the example directly
        above this paragraph....

        Does this make the mud a bit clearer? :)

        Thanks again Alan!! this is do-able if you don't feel like playing with
        it, seriously.... I feel like I'm asking for the moon or something, I hate
        having to depend on others for this stuff.... I just have not been able to
        devote the time to learning clip writing and frankly, just have difficulty
        wrapping my head around it.... it overwhelms me at times with all that runs
        through my head, its just too much more to add.

        I appreciate all the help the group provides when needed!!!

        Laurie

        >> If it helps... I derive the links from a website using Internet
        > Explorer.. I copy the lists ... there are many, into one document,
        > then open it in NTB
        >
        > We need to see a sample of that which is "opened" in NTB at that
        > point. IOW sample of what's in doc at that point.
        >
        > If it has sensitive info can you just leave the format the same but
        > substitute with non sensitive material
        >
        >> and run the clip...
        >
        > Which clip? The last one I shared?
        >>
        >> When I did, it saved the URLs in their <a href form (dont really
        > need that, just the http://www 's but its no problem... Find/replace.
        > Other's might use the clip so it may be needed for others... no biggie.
        >
        >>Then the question associated ends up below the URL but its not in one
        > line,
        >
        > I was unaware of a "question associated" I was only aware of the "text
        > that come from the hyperlink"
        >
        > We need to see more in the way of samples.
        >
        > sample input (as I listed above at point in NTB doc just prior to
        > running of clip)
        >
        > + also *desired* sample output that originated from the input I mentioned.
        >
        > Alan.
        >
        > its truncated into maybe 25 or 30 characters per line.
        >>
        >> When I paste this into Excel.. the URL fills one cell but the
        > question next to it will be split into many cells depending on the
        > line breaks in the data. I can run a formula to concatenate the cells
        > but if there's a way to perfect the clip so the "question" itself is
        > saved in one continuous line after the <a href> Using the <a href>
        > I would then have a > to use as a delimiter and can "Text to column"
        > easily.
        >>
        >> <thinking out loud to myself and to you Alan> hehe :)
        >>
        >> Happy Monday, off to work...
        >> Laurie

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • acummingsus
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "LaurieK" <ladyck3@c...> wrote:

          > Ok, here it is step by step. First I copy data
          >
          > a.. Can I Download To My Device?
          > a.. How Do I Adjust the Volume On My Device?

          did these get truncated by google

          > [ . . ] the one thing
          > I'd like to eliminate with this is the blank lines, supressing blank
          lines
          > is a biggie
          >
          > Can I Download To My Device? http://www.company.com/file1.htm
          >
          > How Do I Adjust the Volume On My Device?
          > http://www.company.com/file2.htm

          next has one more line of code added very near the end of clip that
          let no blank lines

          H="pick_url_hypr_ahref3"
          ^!Set %fil2parse%=^$GetShort(^**)$
          ^!Menu file/new
          ^!Insert ^$GetFileText(^%fil2parse%)$
          ^!SetWordWrap OFF
          ^!Select ALL
          ^$StrStripHTML("^$GetSelection$";True)$
          ^!Replace "<" >> "^%NL%" ISWA
          ^!Replace "{^.+>}{.+}" >> "\2 \1" RISWA
          ^!Replace ">$" >> "" RISWA
          ^!Replace "^p^p" >> "^p" ISWA
          ^!Jump DOC_START

          Alan.
        • LaurieK
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
            By Jove.... You've GOT IT!!! Oh Thank you Alan... Thank you VERY MUCH!
            You have NO CLUE how this will help!!!

            <bowing> Thank you thank you thankyou!!!

            Laurie