Re: [Clip] Re: Strip XML tags

  • loro
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
      Martin ONeill wrote:
      >I'm not sure as that page would not load for me. The opml I'm
      >referring to is on http://www.opml.org/spec

      Yeah, they have a link to sample file I posted a link to. We talk about the
      a same thing. That's a starting point. ;-)

      >I have tried your clip, but on a small circa 50k file, the clip goes
      >into some sort of loop and does not finish.

      Don't know why it loops, but it only looks for the 'text' attributes found
      in that sample file.

      >I don't know anything about XML and probably need to learn a bit. Is
      >there any simple online source that I could refer to?

      The samples at opml.org, I guess. But you don't need to know XML, more than
      to understand the concept of tags. If you have this
      <tag>Content</tag>
      "Strip HTML" gets rid of '<tag>' and '</tag>' and leaves 'Content'.

      But this OPML format seems to build on mostly empty elements (they have no
      content), with the bits you want to keep in attributes. Like so.
      <tag attr="stuff we want here" />
      "Strip HTML" kills the whole tag and leaves you with nothing. That's why
      you must find the attribute values and save them somehow.
      ^$GetHtmlTagAttr()$ does that.

      If you post a link to a file of the type you are actually working with,
      or a long enough sample of it, someone can probably come up with something.

      Lotta