Re: Strip XML tags

  • Martin ONeill
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@t...> wrote:
      > Is it the radio UserLand outline stuff you mean? Like this one?
      > <http://static.userland.com/gems/radiodiscuss/specification.opml>

      I'm not sure as that page would not load for me. The opml I'm
      referring to is on http://www.opml.org/spec

      I have tried your clip, but on a small circa 50k file, the clip goes
      into some sort of loop and does not finish.

      I don't know anything about XML and probably need to learn a bit. Is
      there any simple online source that I could refer to? - particularly
      regarding the XML tags.

      Many thanks,
      Martin
    • loro
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
        Martin ONeill wrote:
        >I'm not sure as that page would not load for me. The opml I'm
        >referring to is on http://www.opml.org/spec

        Yeah, they have a link to sample file I posted a link to. We talk about the
        a same thing. That's a starting point. ;-)

        >I have tried your clip, but on a small circa 50k file, the clip goes
        >into some sort of loop and does not finish.

        Don't know why it loops, but it only looks for the 'text' attributes found
        in that sample file.

        >I don't know anything about XML and probably need to learn a bit. Is
        >there any simple online source that I could refer to?

        The samples at opml.org, I guess. But you don't need to know XML, more than
        to understand the concept of tags. If you have this
        <tag>Content</tag>
        "Strip HTML" gets rid of '<tag>' and '</tag>' and leaves 'Content'.

        But this OPML format seems to build on mostly empty elements (they have no
        content), with the bits you want to keep in attributes. Like so.
        <tag attr="stuff we want here" />
        "Strip HTML" kills the whole tag and leaves you with nothing. That's why
        you must find the attribute values and save them somehow.
        ^$GetHtmlTagAttr()$ does that.

        If you post a link to a file of the type you are actually working with,
        or a long enough sample of it, someone can probably come up with something.

        Lotta