Re: [Clip] Re: Ok Guru's I need HELP! Hyperlinks and Extracting URLs

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2005
      Thanks for the reply... but what's been provided is greek to me :(

      I do thank you for your time however.... I'll keep looking :)

      Thanks!
      Laurie

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2005
        >> --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "LaurieK" <ladyck3@c...> wrote:
        >>> I have a listing of Hyperlinks, thing is, I need to extract the URLs
        >> and
        >>> save them so ultimately I have a listing of the text which is the
        >> hyperlink
        >>> and a column or listing on document (having two ntb files open, or
        >> making it
        >>> so I can paste into Excel and it will paste in side by side array) the
        >>> hyperlink and then the column. For instance..... notetab
        >>>
        >>> I would want this to appear as follows:
        >>>
        >>> notetab http://www.notetab.com

        Laurie,

        Paste several lines from an actual file you're trying to columnize links
        from, that, with the example above, will help determine which processes
        to use.

        ºvº
        05.11.05
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • acummingsus
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2005
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "LaurieK" <ladyck3@c...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the reply... but what's been provided is greek to me :(

          here's a couple initial (perhaps first draft) clips just to get the
          ball started rolling.

          I try again. I didn't mean for it to be Greek to you.

          I posted to the list. But the portion of my post intended for you lay
          further down in my post. Perhaps I should have notified to that effect.

          Here are two clips. Once the clip been run and output is into a new
          doc, can you then just use the notetab menu to strip the html? (in the
          hope of leaving you with your url and text from hypertext)

          (I'm on Linux right now) -- I downloaded ulAhref.clb from yahoo files
          area and then I modified it using the Kate editor in the KDE desktop
          of Slackware 10.2 Linux that I am running.

          The two clips are a unit. Add them to any library you want. But if
          Laurie adds to ulAhref.clb then the 2nd clip is not needed to add
          because it is already in ulAhref.clb. The first of the next two clips
          is the only clip that is not already in ulAhref.clb.

          H="pick_url_hypr_ahref"
          ^!ClearVariables
          ^!SetWordWrap OFF
          ^!Jump DOC_START
          ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
          :do_while
          ^!Find "</a>" IS
          ^!IfError publish
          ^!Jump SELECT_END
          ^!Set %loc2%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
          ^!Set %tbltag%="<a href"; %dir_amnt%=-1
          ^!Clip zero_in_sub
          ^!Jump SELECT_START
          ^!SelectTo ^%loc2%
          ^!Set %a_link%=^$GetSelection$
          ; strips the xtra line breaks from link texts
          ^!Set %a_link%=^$StrReplace("^P";"";"^%a_link%";0;0)$
          ^!Append %my_links%=^%a_link%^%NL%
          ^!Jump SELECT_END
          ^!Goto do_while
          :publish
          ^!Set %my_links%=^%my_links%
          ^!Menu file/new
          ^!Insert ^%my_links%

          H="_zero_in_sub"
          :more
          ^!Jump SELECT_START
          ^!Jump ^%dir_amnt%
          ^!Select LINE
          ^!Find "^%tbltag%" ISH
          ^!IfError more else next
          ; ---- end of clips

          Alan.

          > I do thank you for your time however.... I'll keep looking :)
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Laurie

          URLs

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2005
            FANTASTICAL... that extracted the URLs alright.... THANKS MUCH....

            It take some work yet, once in Excel but its a far cry better than what I've
            been doing manually... thank you Alan, once again!!

            >> Thanks for the reply... but what's been provided is greek to me :(
            >
            > here's a couple initial (perhaps first draft) clips just to get the
            > ball started rolling.
            >
            > I try again. I didn't mean for it to be Greek to you.
            >
            > I posted to the list. But the portion of my post intended for you lay
            > further down in my post. Perhaps I should have notified to that effect.
            >
            > Here are two clips. Once the clip been run and output is into a new
            > doc, can you then just use the notetab menu to strip the html? (in the
            > hope of leaving you with your url and text from hypertext)
            >
            > (I'm on Linux right now) -- I downloaded ulAhref.clb from yahoo files
            > area and then I modified it using the Kate editor in the KDE desktop
            > of Slackware 10.2 Linux that I am running.
            >
            > The two clips are a unit. Add them to any library you want. But if
            > Laurie adds to ulAhref.clb then the 2nd clip is not needed to add
            > because it is already in ulAhref.clb. The first of the next two clips
            > is the only clip that is not already in ulAhref.clb.
            >
            > H="pick_url_hypr_ahref"
            > ^!ClearVariables
            > ^!SetWordWrap OFF
            > ^!Jump DOC_START
            > ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
            > :do_while
            > ^!Find "</a>" IS
            > ^!IfError publish
            > ^!Jump SELECT_END
            > ^!Set %loc2%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
            > ^!Set %tbltag%="<a href"; %dir_amnt%=-1
            > ^!Clip zero_in_sub
            > ^!Jump SELECT_START
            > ^!SelectTo ^%loc2%
            > ^!Set %a_link%=^$GetSelection$
            > ; strips the xtra line breaks from link texts
            > ^!Set %a_link%=^$StrReplace("^P";"";"^%a_link%";0;0)$
            > ^!Append %my_links%=^%a_link%^%NL%
            > ^!Jump SELECT_END
            > ^!Goto do_while
            > :publish
            > ^!Set %my_links%=^%my_links%
            > ^!Menu file/new
            > ^!Insert ^%my_links%
            >
            > H="_zero_in_sub"
            > :more
            > ^!Jump SELECT_START
            > ^!Jump ^%dir_amnt%
            > ^!Select LINE
            > ^!Find "^%tbltag%" ISH
            > ^!IfError more else next
            > ; ---- end of clips
            >
            > Alan.
            >>
            >> I do thank you for your time however.... I'll keep looking :)
            >>
            >> Thanks!
            >> Laurie

          • acummingsus
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2005
              (I booted Windows today - I hear a penguin noise :-) )

              Ok that 1st clip work for you but not for me. 4 me it stuck looping -
              - I killed it via ctrl+alt

              No line breaks in my <a href

              is the reason why it didn't work for me.

              Here's another clip. It works rather nicely when run on a Netscape
              bookmarks html file which has no line breaks in the <a href.

              (probably importantly) Any clips I/we write are just a guess at this
              point since we do not yet know what sort of html is your source. Nor
              do we yet know if or how your source may vary.

              Also, (outside the links) very little other html exists in a Netscape
              bookmarks file (only a very slight unwanted text content left behind
              when use next clip). Worked super here on said html file. But I
              haven't a clue if it will work for you on *whatever* your html is.

              H="pick_url_hypr_ahref2"
              ^!Set %fil2parse%=^$GetShort(^**)$
              ^!Menu file/new
              ^!Insert ^$GetFileText(^%fil2parse%)$
              ^!SetWordWrap OFF
              ^!Select ALL
              ^$StrStripHTML("^$GetSelection$";True)$
              ^!Replace "<" >> "^%NL%" ISWA
              ^!Replace "{^.+>}{.+}" >> "\2 \1" RISWA
              ^!Replace ">$" >> "" RISWA
              ^!Jump DOC_START
              ; ----end of clip ----

              [ . . ]

            • ladyck3@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
                If it helps... I derive the links from a website using Internet Explorer.. I copy the lists ... there are many, into one document, then open it in NTB and run the clip...

                When I did, it saved the URLs in their <a href form (dont really need that, just the http://www 's but its no problem... Find/replace. Other's might use the clip so it may be needed for others... no biggie. Then the question associated ends up below the URL but its not in one line, its truncated into maybe 25 or 30 characters per line.

                When I paste this into Excel.. the URL fills one cell but the question next to it will be split into many cells depending on the line breaks in the data. I can run a formula to concatenate the cells but if there's a way to perfect the clip so the "question" itself is saved in one continuous line after the <a href> Using the <a href> I would then have a > to use as a delimiter and can "Text to column" easily.

                <thinking out loud to myself and to you Alan> hehe :)

                Happy Monday, off to work...
                Laurie

              • acummingsus
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, ladyck3@c... wrote:

                  > If it helps... I derive the links from a website using Internet
                  Explorer.. I copy the lists ... there are many, into one document,
                  then open it in NTB

                  We need to see a sample of that which is "opened" in NTB at that
                  point. IOW sample of what's in doc at that point.

                  If it has sensitive info can you just leave the format the same but
                  substitute with non sensitive material

                  > and run the clip...

                  Which clip? The last one I shared?

                  > When I did, it saved the URLs in their <a href form (dont really
                  need that, just the http://www 's but its no problem... Find/replace.
                  Other's might use the clip so it may be needed for others... no biggie.

                  >Then the question associated ends up below the URL but its not in one
                  line,

                  I was unaware of a "question associated" I was only aware of the "text
                  that come from the hyperlink"

                  We need to see more in the way of samples.

                  sample input (as I listed above at point in NTB doc just prior to
                  running of clip)

                  + also *desired* sample output that originated from the input I mentioned.

                  Alan.

                  its truncated into maybe 25 or 30 characters per line.

                  > When I paste this into Excel.. the URL fills one cell but the
                  question next to it will be split into many cells depending on the
                  line breaks in the data. I can run a formula to concatenate the cells
                  but if there's a way to perfect the clip so the "question" itself is
                  saved in one continuous line after the <a href> Using the <a href>
                  I would then have a > to use as a delimiter and can "Text to column"
                  easily.

                  > <thinking out loud to myself and to you Alan> hehe :)
                  >
                  > Happy Monday, off to work...
                  > Laurie
                • LaurieK
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
                    Ok, here it is step by step. First I copy data

                    a.. Can I Download To My Device?
                    a.. How Do I Adjust the Volume On My Device?
                    a.. How Do I Mute My Device?
                    a.. How Do I Unlock My Device?

                    The clip from the first email you sent (have not had a chance to test the
                    one from this morning, was BIZZY ALL DAY)
                    Produces this:

                    style="font-size: 10pt">How Do I Adjust the Volume On My
                    style="font-size: 10pt">How Do I Adjust the Volume On My
                    0px; margin-bottom: 0px"> <font face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 10pt">
                    Ultimately what I wish the end result to be is a text file that I can just
                    copy/paste into Excel to appear like this:

                    Can I Download To My Device? http://www.company.com/file1.htm
                    How Do I Adjust the Volume On My Device?
                    http://www.company.com/file2.htm
                    How Do I Mute My Device? http://www.company.com/file3.htm
                    How Do I Unlock My Device? http://www.company.com/file4.htm

                    It makes on difference which column the URLs fall into thats no biggie

                    Now the let me try the clip you sent in email this morning... the clip is
                    workable but we may want to then add a comma and make it delimited..... or I
                    can just do a find and replace, that's no biggie either..... the one thing
                    I'd like to eliminate with this is the blank lines, supressing blank lines
                    is a biggie

                    Can I Download To My Device

                    Can I Download To My Device? http://www.company.com/file1.htm

                    How Do I Adjust the Volume On My Device?
                    http://www.company.com/file2.htm

                    How Do I Mute My Device? http://www.company.com/file3.htm

                    How Do I Unlock My Device? http://www.company.com/file4.htm

                    The hyperlink should not be there on the last one, sorry don't feel like
                    putzing to remove it.

                    Anyway, when I paste this into Excel it becomes question and URL in one cell
                    straight across. If I paste from Excel it appears as the example directly
                    above this paragraph....

                    Does this make the mud a bit clearer? :)

                    Thanks again Alan!! this is do-able if you don't feel like playing with
                    it, seriously.... I feel like I'm asking for the moon or something, I hate
                    having to depend on others for this stuff.... I just have not been able to
                    devote the time to learning clip writing and frankly, just have difficulty
                    wrapping my head around it.... it overwhelms me at times with all that runs
                    through my head, its just too much more to add.

                    I appreciate all the help the group provides when needed!!!

                    Laurie

                    >> If it helps... I derive the links from a website using Internet
                    > Explorer.. I copy the lists ... there are many, into one document,
                    > then open it in NTB
                    >
                    > We need to see a sample of that which is "opened" in NTB at that
                    > point. IOW sample of what's in doc at that point.
                    >
                    > If it has sensitive info can you just leave the format the same but
                    > substitute with non sensitive material
                    >
                    >> and run the clip...
                    >
                    > Which clip? The last one I shared?
                    >>
                    >> When I did, it saved the URLs in their <a href form (dont really
                    > need that, just the http://www 's but its no problem... Find/replace.
                    > Other's might use the clip so it may be needed for others... no biggie.
                    >
                    >>Then the question associated ends up below the URL but its not in one
                    > line,
                    >
                    > I was unaware of a "question associated" I was only aware of the "text
                    > that come from the hyperlink"
                    >
                    > We need to see more in the way of samples.
                    >
                    > sample input (as I listed above at point in NTB doc just prior to
                    > running of clip)
                    >
                    > + also *desired* sample output that originated from the input I mentioned.
                    >
                    > Alan.
                    >
                    > its truncated into maybe 25 or 30 characters per line.
                    >>
                    >> When I paste this into Excel.. the URL fills one cell but the
                    > question next to it will be split into many cells depending on the
                    > line breaks in the data. I can run a formula to concatenate the cells
                    > but if there's a way to perfect the clip so the "question" itself is
                    > saved in one continuous line after the <a href> Using the <a href>
                    > I would then have a > to use as a delimiter and can "Text to column"
                    > easily.
                    >>
                    >> <thinking out loud to myself and to you Alan> hehe :)
                    >>
                    >> Happy Monday, off to work...
                    >> Laurie

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • acummingsus
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "LaurieK" <ladyck3@c...> wrote:

                      > Ok, here it is step by step. First I copy data
                      >
                      > a.. Can I Download To My Device?
                      > a.. How Do I Adjust the Volume On My Device?

                      did these get truncated by google

                      > [ . . ] the one thing
                      > I'd like to eliminate with this is the blank lines, supressing blank
                      lines
                      > is a biggie
                      >
                      > Can I Download To My Device? http://www.company.com/file1.htm
                      >
                      > How Do I Adjust the Volume On My Device?
                      > http://www.company.com/file2.htm

                      next has one more line of code added very near the end of clip that
                      let no blank lines

                      H="pick_url_hypr_ahref3"
                      ^!Set %fil2parse%=^$GetShort(^**)$
                      ^!Menu file/new
                      ^!Insert ^$GetFileText(^%fil2parse%)$
                      ^!SetWordWrap OFF
                      ^!Select ALL
                      ^$StrStripHTML("^$GetSelection$";True)$
                      ^!Replace "<" >> "^%NL%" ISWA
                      ^!Replace "{^.+>}{.+}" >> "\2 \1" RISWA
                      ^!Replace ">$" >> "" RISWA
                      ^!Replace "^p^p" >> "^p" ISWA
                      ^!Jump DOC_START

                      Alan.
                    • LaurieK
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
                        By Jove.... You've GOT IT!!! Oh Thank you Alan... Thank you VERY MUCH!
                        You have NO CLUE how this will help!!!

                        <bowing> Thank you thank you thankyou!!!

                        Laurie