Re: [Clip] Using the 'Find Dialog Box' within a CLIP

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005
      bewarefr wrote:
      > While creating or editing a CLIP,
      > I routinely use the 'Find Command' to locate text and
      > discovered that once it completes the search within the selected CLIP,
      > will automatically switch to the NEXT CLIP and begin searching there.
      > It does this even though the
      > "Scope - All Documents" option in the 'Find Dialog Box' is not checked.
      > Is this normal operation within the CLIP environment?
      >
      > The 'Find Command' works as it should if used in other types of
      > documents.
      > i.e. will not switch to the next .txt document to perform a search.
      > If the "Scope - All Documents" option in the 'Find Dialog Box' is not
      > checked, that is.

      beware,

      Clips are comparable to macros, mini programs, batch files. There are
      generally multiple Clips in a clipbook. The clipbook is the list of all
      the clips in the clipbook editor, usually on the left of the edit
      window. If yours doesn't show try pressing F4.

      I may be misunderstanding what you're trying to explain. I don't know
      exactly how and what you're searching for but it sounds as if you also
      have a clipbook file open in the edit window and are searching through it.

      If you're searching for text in a clipbook, normally, it searches the
      entire file, at least, from the cursor to the end of file. This
      includes all the 'clips' in the 'clipbook'.

      If you're searching a normal text file ^!Find will search until it find
      the object of the search. The only way to limit the search to a smaller
      portion of the file is to search it with the portion to be searched in a
      selected state.

      If this doesn't help you can include a little more detail, files open,
      file being searched, text searched for, etc..

      ºvº
      05.10.10
      hrs > hsavage@...
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005
        hsavage wrote:
        > bewarefr wrote:
        > > While creating or editing a CLIP,
        > > I routinely use the 'Find Command' to locate text and
        > > discovered that once it completes the search within the selected CLIP,
        > > will automatically switch to the NEXT CLIP and begin searching there.
        > > It does this even though the
        > > "Scope - All Documents" option in the 'Find Dialog Box' is not checked.
        > > Is this normal operation within the CLIP environment?
        > >
        > > The 'Find Command' works as it should if used in other types of
        > > documents.
        > > i.e. will not switch to the next .txt document to perform a search.
        > > If the "Scope - All Documents" option in the 'Find Dialog Box' is not
        > > checked, that is.

        yes because each clipbook is actually all in one file, so it will search
        all clips in that clipbook
        I used to find this annoying, but I now am used to it

        the way around it is to select the entire clip (control + a) then search
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13, 2005
          Hi Lotta, bewarefr, Harvey...

          >> While creating or editing a CLIP, I routinely use the 'Find
          >> Command' to locate text and discovered that once it completes
          >> the search within the selected CLIP, will automatically switch
          >> to the NEXT CLIP and begin searching there. It does this even
          >> though the "Scope - All Documents" option in the 'Find Dialog
          >> Box' is not checked.
          >
          >Hah! Wait until you've done a Replace on whole library by mistake
          >and don't notice until it's too late. :-(

          Been there, done that! :( Switch Libraries and do not save if you
          notice what you did. Usually the 13684 replacements made when you
          know it should have only been a few gives it away.

          >>Is this normal operation within the CLIP environment?

          Yes, unless you select the text first. That is the key to only
          doing the one Clip and then only within the selection. If no text
          is selected, the entire Library will be searched in the manner
          depending on your other options chosen.

          http://www.sojourner.us/software