Re: [Clip] automatic naming of files

  • Jefry S
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
      Don Daugherty wrote:

      >tuxtyro wrote:
      >

      >>Greetings from a newcomer to the group and a programmer-wannabe. In
      >>the ubiquitous MS Word, when 'Save As' is selcected the beginning text
      >>of a file is offered as a suggested file name. What do i substitute
      >>for <NoName%0.2d> to get the same result from NoteTab?
      >>

      >I don't think changing <NoName%0.2d> will work (though others who know
      >more about the innards of NoteTab may have a way.)
      >A Clip approach that probably can do what you want would generally look
      >like this:
      >1. You would have a clipbook library open (press F4 to open the window)
      >containing a clip written for this purpose. (You would probably order
      >the library so it was the first clip in the list.)
      >2. When ready to do the "Save As", instead of clicking File/Save As,
      >you would click the clip title in the clipbook library window.
      >3. The clip would then grab the first line of the open text document,
      >generate the desired filename and issue its own Save AS command.
      >
      >Does this sounds like what you want?
      >
      >Don

      Yes, i simply have no clue how to do it. I don't even know enough to ask
      the right questions or know where to look for the answers. {8^( Thanks.

      --
      Sincerely,
      Jefry

      The most important thing to remember in Chemistry is, 'don't lick the spoon'.
    • Don Daugherty
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
        >Yes, i simply have no clue how to do it. I don't even know enough to ask
        >the right questions or know where to look for the answers. {8^( Thanks.

        Here is a working Clip.
        If you're brand-new to clips, the simplest thing is to put it in a new
        library. To do so:
        1. From this email select and copy (via Ctrl+C or right-clicking and
        choosing Copy) the following text:
        ^!SetDebug On
        ;Above line only for debugging purposes; delete it or prefix it with
        semicolon for normal use.
        ^!Jump Text_Start
        ^!Jump Line_End
        ^!SelectTo 1:1
        ^!Set %FileName%="c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$."
        ;Above provides nul file extension; use
        ;^!Set %FileName%="c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$.txt"
        ;if .txt is desired.
        ^!Save AS "^%FileName%"
        ;If preferred, the ^!Set and ^!Save AS lines can be combined into one:
        ;^!Save AS "c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$." or
        ;^!Save AS "c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$.txt"
        STOP copying
        3. In NoteTab press F4 to reveal the Clipbook Window.
        4. In the narrow window at the top of the window, right-click and
        choose New; enter whatever you like for a library name, say, My Utils
        and press Enter.
        5. In the blank window that appears beneath your library title,
        right-click, choose Add New Clip, type a clip name, such as SaveAs, and
        press Enter.
        6. The main text window will now either be blank or will contain just
        the clip name. Click in the first available blank line and paste (via
        Ctrl+V or right-click: paste.)
        7. Press Ctrl+S or choose File/Save.

        You can now edit the clip to fit YOUR situation.
        1. Note that any line starting with a semi-colon is a comment. Thus
        some lines are currently non-functional.
        2. In the line that begins ^!Set %FileName%="c:\My Documents\ change to
        fit your desired path. If this varies, we'll need to make provision for
        that -- contributions from others may have already addressed that
        possibility.
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
          tuxtyro wrote:
          > Greetings from a newcomer to the group and a programmer-wannabe. In
          > the ubiquitous MS Word, when 'Save As' is selcected the beginning text
          > of a file is offered as a suggested file name. What do i substitute
          > for <NoName%0.2d> to get the same result from NoteTab? I've tried
          > different variations on FileName and failed. It's got to be a simple
          > coding thing, but i'm lost. I'm currently trying to teach myself Java
          > and C, but my LAST programming was Fortran and RPG in 1970. Yeah,
          > yeah, no comments, now. {8^)
          > TIA

          tux,

          Have you resolved your requirement for using the first text line for the
          '^!Save AS Filename' to save files to.

          If you're interested I've constructed 2 clips, one uses the entire first
          as the filename, the second uses a user pre-set number of words in the
          first line as the filename.

          Both clips scan the selected filename for forbidden characters
          (characters dos and windows won't allow to be used in filenames and
          foldernames) and replaces those characters with a dash. If the proposed
          filename has no restricted characters it saves the file without
          hesitation.

          Word does it slightly differently, it stops the proposed filename at the
          first incidence of a forbidden character.

          Either clip can be modified to display the rename dialog with the
          appropriate text entered as the potential filename. This allows editing
          before the final save.

          To make either clip most useful you should add whichever to a Personal
          ToolBar so it's readily available without having to find and focus the
          clipbook containing the clip.

          Let me know.

          ºvº
          05.10.11
          hrs > hsavage@...
        • Jefry S
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
            hsavage wrote:

            >tuxtyro wrote:
            > > Greetings from a newcomer to the group and a programmer-wannabe. In
            > > the ubiquitous MS Word, when 'Save As' is selcected the beginning text
            > > of a file is offered as a suggested file name. What do i substitute
            > > for <NoName%0.2d> to get the same result from NoteTab? I've tried
            > > different variations on FileName and failed. It's got to be a simple
            > > coding thing, but i'm lost. I'm currently trying to teach myself Java
            > > and C, but my LAST programming was Fortran and RPG in 1970. Yeah,
            > > yeah, no comments, now. {8^)
            > > TIA
            >
            >tux,
            >
            >Have you resolved your requirement for using the first text line for the
            >'^!Save AS Filename' to save files to.
            >
            >If you're interested I've constructed 2 clips, one uses the entire first
            >as the filename, the second uses a user pre-set number of words in the
            >first line as the filename.
            >
            >Both clips scan the selected filename for forbidden characters
            >(characters dos and windows won't allow to be used in filenames and
            >foldernames) and replaces those characters with a dash. If the proposed
            >filename has no restricted characters it saves the file without
            >hesitation.
            >
            >Word does it slightly differently, it stops the proposed filename at the
            >first incidence of a forbidden character.
            >
            >Either clip can be modified to display the rename dialog with the
            >appropriate text entered as the potential filename. This allows editing
            >before the final save.
            >
            >To make either clip most useful you should add whichever to a Personal
            >ToolBar so it's readily available without having to find and focus the
            >clipbook containing the clip.
            >
            >Let me know.
            >
            >ºvº
            >05.10.11
            >hrs > hsavage@...

            Thanks, but i'm still having problems. I'm using this clip-

            H="Save As First Line"
            ;_Modified-Updated~Created
            ;_20051010_12:21:51p_hsavage@...
            ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
            ^!Set %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Path To Save Files=D:\My Documents\NoteTab\}
            ^!Set %line1%=^$GetLine(1)$
            ^!Save AS "^%path%^%line1%.txt"

            when i leave H= intact, i get an error message of-
            Cannot create file D:\My Documents\NoteTab\four score and seven years
            agoH="Save AsFirst Line" - it inserts the H= line at the end of the line
            a semicolon to stop the line gives the desired result and parks the file
            in \NoteTab\
            I'll remove Notetab and put it in My Docs. That still doesn't quite give
            me the option of selecting location to save, like Word does, but it's
            closer. Thanks, i'll have to continue to explore and experiment to get
            the desired result. Any clue as to how to prompt for input to choose
            location?
            Thanks again, this is fun!

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
              Jefry S wrote:
              > hsavage wrote:
              >>
              > Thanks, but i'm still having problems. I'm using this clip-
              >
              > H="Save As First Line"
              > ;_Modified-Updated~Created
              > ;_20051010_12:21:51p_hsavage@...
              > ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
              > ^!Set %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Path To Save Files=D:\My Documents\NoteTab\}
              > ^!Set %line1%=^$GetLine(1)$
              > ^!Save AS "^%path%^%line1%.txt"
              >
              > when i leave H= intact, i get an error message of-
              > Cannot create file D:\My Documents\NoteTab\four score and seven years
              > agoH="Save AsFirst Line" - it inserts the H= line at the end of the line
              > a semicolon to stop the line gives the desired result and parks the file
              > in \NoteTab\
              > I'll remove Notetab and put it in My Docs.

              That still doesn't quite give
              > me the option of selecting location to save, like Word does, but it's
              > closer. Thanks, i'll have to continue to explore and experiment to get
              > the desired result. Any clue as to how to prompt for input to choose
              > location?
              > Thanks again, this is fun!

              Jefry,

              The short clip above was my first attempt, it didn't take into account
              the presence of some of those forbidden characters I speak of. Double
              quotes are forbidden in folder/filenames. That may be the reason you
              can't save that file.

              I'm not sure what text file you're trying to save, I don't understand
              how you're getting the clip title as the first. Did you just create a
              new file using the clip text as the body of the file?

              With this latest clip it shouldn't matter if you use the clip text, it
              will replace the forbidden characters during operation.

              The process;

              The first dialog lets you choose the destination folder, it must be a
              present folder. After selecting the destination, click OK

              The clip runs, grabs line 1, scans it for forbidden characters replacing
              them with dashes. You can edit that line to use a character other than
              dashes if you wish.

              Edit, if you wish, the ^$StrReplace( line, replace the dash with an
              ascii character of your choosing.

              When the line is prepared for use the ^!KeyBoard F2 line should open the
              Rename Document dialog box, the remainder of the keyboard line inserts
              the revised filename only into the dialog for editing or accepting.

              After this, when you click OK, the filename in the edit window, and, the
              original disk file (if you loaded it from disk) are both renamed.

              If you loaded the file from a source different than the destination you
              chose in the first dialog you will have 2 copies of the file with the
              new filename, one in the source folder and one in the destination folder.

              The last line in the clip, the '^!Save AS' line, is there to insure the
              file will be saved with its new filename in the proper destination
              folder that you chose in the first dialog.

              The proper operation is dependant on whether the destination folder
              exists and whether you get a 'Rename Document' dialog by pressing F2 in
              the NoteTab edit window. F2 should be the NoteTab default to 'Rename
              Document'.

              Try it, reply after testing.

              You should delete the first clip, the one you sent in your email and
              place the one below into your clipbook.

              ------------------
              H="Save As First Line"
              ;_Modified-Updated~Created
              ;_20051011_5:15:18p_hsavage@...
              ^!ClearVariables
              ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
              ^!Set %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Path To Save Files=C:\+r2rweb\lists\}
              ;
              ^!SetListDelimiter ;
              ; these are the 9 forbidden characters I know about, \/:*?"<>|
              ^!SetArray %frbdn%="\;/;:;*;?;";<;>;|"
              ^!Set %idx%=0; %cnt%=^%frbdn0%
              ^!Set %name%="^$GetLine(1)$"
              :FRBDN
              ^!Inc %idx%
              ; replaces forbidden characters with dashes
              ^!Set %name%=^$StrReplace("^%frbdn^%idx%%";"-";"^%name%";0;0)$
              ^!If ^%idx% = ^%cnt% NEXT ELSE FRBDN
              ^!Set %name%=^$StrTrim("^%name%")$
              ;
              ^!KeyBoard F2 &50 #^%name%.#
              ;^!RenameDoc "^%name%"
              ^!Save AS "^%path%^%name%."
              -------------------------

              ºvº
              05.10.11
              hrs > hsavage@...
            • Don Daugherty
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 13, 2005
                hsavage wrote:

                >Jefry S wrote:
                > > hsavage wrote:
                > >>
                > > Thanks, but i'm still having problems. I'm using this clip-
                > >
                > > H="Save As First Line"
                > > ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                > > ;_20051010_12:21:51p_hsavage@...
                > > ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
                > > ^!Set %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Path To Save Files=D:\My Documents\NoteTab\}
                > > ^!Set %line1%=^$GetLine(1)$
                > > ^!Save AS "^%path%^%line1%.txt"

                I think there is some confusion regarding the H="Save As First Line".

                That is the clip header-line within a clip library document. If you
                open any clip library as a text file, either from the File>Open menu
                item, or by right clicking on the library name in the clipbook window
                and choosing Open as document, you will see lines of this nature
                starting each clip. For example, one of my libraries, when so-opened reads

                = V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30

                H="Save AS"
                ^!SetDebug On
                ;Above line only for debugging purposes; delete it or prefix it with
                semicolon for normal use.
                ^!Jump Text_Start
                ^!Jump Line_End
                ^!SelectTo 1:1
                ^!Set %FileName%="c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$."
                ;Above provides nul file extension; use
                ;^!Set %FileName%="c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$.txt"
                ;if .txt is desired.
                ^!Save AS "^%FileName%"
                ;If preferred, the ^!Set and ^!Save AS lines can be combined into one:
                ;^!Save AS "c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$." or
                ;^!Save AS "c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$.txt"

                H="_OpenOrFocusApp"
                ^!CmdShow Maximize
                ^!IfAppOpen "^%TBar%" ^!Clip "AlreadyInUse"

                One way to get the new clip into a library is to open that library in
                this manner, and pasting the above text into an appropriate spot in that
                document. "An appropriate spot" would be above an existing H="blah,
                blah, " line. Be sure that each H="..." line has a blank line before
                and after it, as illustrated above.)

                The more usual way of entering clips into an existing library, is to
                simply make the library the active or Open one in the clip library,
                right click over any clipname listed within that library, and choosing
                Add New Clip... This will prompt you to supply a name for the new clip
                ("Save As 1st Line"?).
                Once you have done that, a new main window will be opened and you can
                start typing-in commands or pasting-in commands copied from email. In
                that case your copying should EXCLUDE the H="Save ..." line in the email.
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 13, 2005
                  hsavage wrote:
                  > Jefry S wrote:
                  >> hsavage wrote:
                  >>>
                  >> Thanks, but i'm still having problems. I'm using this clip-
                  >
                  > Any clue as to how to prompt for input to choose location?
                  >
                  > Thanks again, this is fun!
                  >
                  > ------------------
                  > H="Save As First Line"
                  > ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                  > ;_20051011_5:15:18p_hsavage@...
                  > ^!ClearVariables
                  > ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
                  > ^!Set %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Path To Save Files=C:\+r2rweb\lists\}
                  > ;
                  > ^!SetListDelimiter ;
                  > ; these are the 9 forbidden characters I know about, \/:*?"<>|
                  > ^!SetArray %frbdn%="\;/;:;*;?;";<;>;|"
                  > ^!Set %idx%=0; %cnt%=^%frbdn0%
                  > ^!Set %name%="^$GetLine(1)$"
                  > :FRBDN
                  > ^!Inc %idx%
                  > ; replaces forbidden characters with dashes
                  > ^!Set %name%=^$StrReplace("^%frbdn^%idx%%";"-";"^%name%";0;0)$
                  > ^!If ^%idx% = ^%cnt% NEXT ELSE FRBDN
                  > ^!Set %name%=^$StrTrim("^%name%")$
                  > ;
                  > ^!KeyBoard F2 &50 #^%name%.#
                  > ;^!RenameDoc "^%name%"
                  > ^!Save AS "^%path%^%name%."
                  > -------------------------

                  Jefry,

                  The clip above was my second completed attempt, it is the one you may be
                  using now. I have a new, modified version I'm going to paste below.
                  It's my favorite so far. I like it well enough that I added an icon for
                  it in 2 of my Personal Toolbars.

                  The clip runs, grabs line 1, scans it for forbidden characters replacing
                  them with dashes. You can edit that line to use a character other than
                  dashes if you wish.

                  Edit, if you wish, the ^$StrReplace( line, replace the dash with an
                  ascii character of your choosing.

                  This is different from previous clips in that it uses only ONE Wizard
                  which allows 3 inputs,

                  input 1. an entry point to edit the proposed filename.

                  input 2. select default save location or use the wizard to select a new
                  location.

                  input 3. allow choice of whether to retain or delete source file.
                  Default is to retain, not delete, source.

                  ----------------------------
                  H="Save As First Line"
                  ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                  ;_20051013_2:07:17p_hsavage@...
                  ^!ClearVariables
                  ^!Set %sourcefile%="^$GetExpandedName(^##)$"
                  ^!SetListDelimiter ;
                  ;
                  ; these are the 9 forbidden characters I know about, \/:*?"<>|
                  ^!SetArray %frbdn%="\;/;:;*;?;";<;>;|"
                  ^!Set %idx%=0; %cnt%=^%frbdn0%
                  ^!Set %name%="^$GetLine(1)$"
                  :FRBDN
                  ^!Inc %idx%
                  ; replaces forbidden characters with dashes
                  ^!Set %name%=^$StrReplace("^%frbdn^%idx%%";"-";"^%name%";0;0)$
                  ^!If ^%idx% = ^%cnt% NEXT ELSE FRBDN
                  ^!Set %name%=^$StrTrim("^%name%")$
                  ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
                  ;
                  ^!SetWizardLabel "Choose Destination - Edit FileName - Delete SourceFile"
                  ;
                  ; this is a very long line, you should check to make sure it is
                  straightened out
                  ^!Set %name%=^?{New FileName to Accept or Edit=^%name%};
                  %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Destination Path For File=C:\+r2rweb\lists\};
                  %delsource%=^?{Delete Source_File==Yes^=1|_No^=0}
                  ;
                  ^!Save AS "^%path%^%name%"
                  ^!IfTrue ^%delsource% ^!DeleteFile ^%sourcefile%
                  ---------------------------------------

                  Long lines usually get wrapped in email and it's up to you to make a
                  single long line out of them again. I've separated the most likely to
                  be wrapped with blank lines.

                  Try this clip, I think you'll like it better than the last.

                  ºvº
                  05.10.13
                  hrs > hsavage@...
                • Bob McAllister
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 16, 2005
                    On 10/14/05, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                    > Try this clip, I think you'll like it better than the last.
                    >
                    > ºvº
                    > 05.10.13
                    > hrs > hsavage@...
                    >

                    > I had been using a very simple clip to rename a file using a selected
                    section of the text.
                    ^!Set %TempVar%=^$GetSelection$
                    ^!RenameDoc ^%TempVar%.txt
                    but I have been prompted to "borrow" some of the excellent ideas in
                    hsavage's work to build the following that will use selected text (if there
                    is any) or the first line of the file as the basis for the filename.
                    As well as stripping out the illegal characters, the clip will (i) limit
                    the filename to a predetermined length (ii) check that there is no space
                    immediately before the file extension (.txt) or (iii) remove all spaces
                    within the filename. Activate any or all of these to suit your personal
                    preferences.
                    H="Name as selection or first line"
                    ^!ClearVariables
                    ^!Set %namelength%=10
                    ^!Set %sourcefile%="^$GetExpandedName(^##)$"
                    ;
                    ^!Set %NewName%="^$GetLine(1)$"
                    ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ = 0 Skip_1
                    ^!Set %NewName%=^$GetSelection$
                    ;
                    ^!SetListDelimiter ;
                    ^!SetArray %frbdn%="\;/;:;*;?;";<;>;|"
                    ^!Set %idx%=0; %cnt%=^%frbdn0%
                    :FRBDN
                    ^!Inc %idx%
                    ^!Set %NewName%=^$StrReplace("^%frbdn^%idx%%";"-";"^%NewName%";0;0)$
                    ^!If ^%idx% = ^%cnt% NEXT ELSE FRBDN
                    ;
                    ;To limit name to specified maximum length
                    ;remove semicolon at start of next line.
                    ;^!Set %NewName%=^$StrCopy("^%NewName%";1;^%namelength%)$
                    ;To prevent name ending with a space
                    ;remove semicolon at start of next line.
                    ;^!Set %NewName%=^$StrTrim("^%NewName%")$
                    ;To strip all spaces from within name
                    ;remove semicolon at start of next line.
                    ;^!Set %NewName%=^$StrReplace(" ";"";"^%NewName%";0;0)$
                    ;
                    ^!SetWizardLabel "Confirm name, directory and backup"
                    ;---------Long line follows------------------
                    ^!Set %name%=^?{New FileName to Accept or Edit=^%NewName%.txt};
                    %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Destination Path For File=d:\rjmca0\};
                    %delsource%=^?{Keep original (if it exists)==No^=1|_Yes^=0}
                    ^!Save AS "^%path%^%name%"
                    ^!IfTrue ^%delsource% ^!DeleteFile ^%sourcefile%
                    Bob McAllister

                  • rpdooling
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 17, 2005
                      Dear hrs: