automatic naming of files

  • tuxtyro
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2005
      Greetings from a newcomer to the group and a programmer-wannabe. In
      the ubiquitous MS Word, when 'Save As' is selcected the beginning text
      of a file is offered as a suggested file name. What do i substitute
      for <NoName%0.2d> to get the same result from NoteTab? I've tried
      different variations on FileName and failed. It's got to be a simple
      coding thing, but i'm lost. I'm currently trying to teach myself Java
      and C, but my LAST programming was Fortran and RPG in 1970. Yeah,
      yeah, no comments, now. {8^)
      TIA
    • Don Daugherty
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
        tuxtyro wrote:

        >Greetings from a newcomer to the group and a programmer-wannabe. In
        >the ubiquitous MS Word, when 'Save As' is selcected the beginning text
        >of a file is offered as a suggested file name. What do i substitute
        >for <NoName%0.2d> to get the same result from NoteTab?

        I don't think changing <NoName%0.2d> will work (though others who know
        more about the innards of NoteTab may have a way.)
        A Clip approach that probably can do what you want would generally look
        like this:
        1. You would have a clipbook library open (press F4 to open the window)
        containing a clip written for this purpose. (You would probably order
        the library so it was the first clip in the list.)
        2. When ready to do the "Save As", instead of clicking File/Save As,
        you would click the clip title in the clipbook library window.
        3. The clip would then grab the first line of the open text document,
        generate the desired filename and issue its own Save AS command.

        Does this sounds like what you want?

        Don
      • Jefry S
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
          Don Daugherty wrote:

          >tuxtyro wrote:
          >

          >>Greetings from a newcomer to the group and a programmer-wannabe. In
          >>the ubiquitous MS Word, when 'Save As' is selcected the beginning text
          >>of a file is offered as a suggested file name. What do i substitute
          >>for <NoName%0.2d> to get the same result from NoteTab?
          >>

          >I don't think changing <NoName%0.2d> will work (though others who know
          >more about the innards of NoteTab may have a way.)
          >A Clip approach that probably can do what you want would generally look
          >like this:
          >1. You would have a clipbook library open (press F4 to open the window)
          >containing a clip written for this purpose. (You would probably order
          >the library so it was the first clip in the list.)
          >2. When ready to do the "Save As", instead of clicking File/Save As,
          >you would click the clip title in the clipbook library window.
          >3. The clip would then grab the first line of the open text document,
          >generate the desired filename and issue its own Save AS command.
          >
          >Does this sounds like what you want?
          >
          >Don

          Yes, i simply have no clue how to do it. I don't even know enough to ask
          the right questions or know where to look for the answers. {8^( Thanks.

          --
          Sincerely,
          Jefry

          The most important thing to remember in Chemistry is, 'don't lick the spoon'.
        • Don Daugherty
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
            >Yes, i simply have no clue how to do it. I don't even know enough to ask
            >the right questions or know where to look for the answers. {8^( Thanks.

            Here is a working Clip.
            If you're brand-new to clips, the simplest thing is to put it in a new
            library. To do so:
            1. From this email select and copy (via Ctrl+C or right-clicking and
            choosing Copy) the following text:
            ^!SetDebug On
            ;Above line only for debugging purposes; delete it or prefix it with
            semicolon for normal use.
            ^!Jump Text_Start
            ^!Jump Line_End
            ^!SelectTo 1:1
            ^!Set %FileName%="c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$."
            ;Above provides nul file extension; use
            ;^!Set %FileName%="c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$.txt"
            ;if .txt is desired.
            ^!Save AS "^%FileName%"
            ;If preferred, the ^!Set and ^!Save AS lines can be combined into one:
            ;^!Save AS "c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$." or
            ;^!Save AS "c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$.txt"
            STOP copying
            3. In NoteTab press F4 to reveal the Clipbook Window.
            4. In the narrow window at the top of the window, right-click and
            choose New; enter whatever you like for a library name, say, My Utils
            and press Enter.
            5. In the blank window that appears beneath your library title,
            right-click, choose Add New Clip, type a clip name, such as SaveAs, and
            press Enter.
            6. The main text window will now either be blank or will contain just
            the clip name. Click in the first available blank line and paste (via
            Ctrl+V or right-click: paste.)
            7. Press Ctrl+S or choose File/Save.

            You can now edit the clip to fit YOUR situation.
            1. Note that any line starting with a semi-colon is a comment. Thus
            some lines are currently non-functional.
            2. In the line that begins ^!Set %FileName%="c:\My Documents\ change to
            fit your desired path. If this varies, we'll need to make provision for
            that -- contributions from others may have already addressed that
            possibility.
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
              tuxtyro wrote:
              > Greetings from a newcomer to the group and a programmer-wannabe. In
              > the ubiquitous MS Word, when 'Save As' is selcected the beginning text
              > of a file is offered as a suggested file name. What do i substitute
              > for <NoName%0.2d> to get the same result from NoteTab? I've tried
              > different variations on FileName and failed. It's got to be a simple
              > coding thing, but i'm lost. I'm currently trying to teach myself Java
              > and C, but my LAST programming was Fortran and RPG in 1970. Yeah,
              > yeah, no comments, now. {8^)
              > TIA

              tux,

              Have you resolved your requirement for using the first text line for the
              '^!Save AS Filename' to save files to.

              If you're interested I've constructed 2 clips, one uses the entire first
              as the filename, the second uses a user pre-set number of words in the
              first line as the filename.

              Both clips scan the selected filename for forbidden characters
              (characters dos and windows won't allow to be used in filenames and
              foldernames) and replaces those characters with a dash. If the proposed
              filename has no restricted characters it saves the file without
              hesitation.

              Word does it slightly differently, it stops the proposed filename at the
              first incidence of a forbidden character.

              Either clip can be modified to display the rename dialog with the
              appropriate text entered as the potential filename. This allows editing
              before the final save.

              To make either clip most useful you should add whichever to a Personal
              ToolBar so it's readily available without having to find and focus the
              clipbook containing the clip.

              Let me know.

              ºvº
              05.10.11
              hrs > hsavage@...
            • Jefry S
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
                hsavage wrote:

                >tuxtyro wrote:
                > > Greetings from a newcomer to the group and a programmer-wannabe. In
                > > the ubiquitous MS Word, when 'Save As' is selcected the beginning text
                > > of a file is offered as a suggested file name. What do i substitute
                > > for <NoName%0.2d> to get the same result from NoteTab? I've tried
                > > different variations on FileName and failed. It's got to be a simple
                > > coding thing, but i'm lost. I'm currently trying to teach myself Java
                > > and C, but my LAST programming was Fortran and RPG in 1970. Yeah,
                > > yeah, no comments, now. {8^)
                > > TIA
                >
                >tux,
                >
                >Have you resolved your requirement for using the first text line for the
                >'^!Save AS Filename' to save files to.
                >
                >If you're interested I've constructed 2 clips, one uses the entire first
                >as the filename, the second uses a user pre-set number of words in the
                >first line as the filename.
                >
                >Both clips scan the selected filename for forbidden characters
                >(characters dos and windows won't allow to be used in filenames and
                >foldernames) and replaces those characters with a dash. If the proposed
                >filename has no restricted characters it saves the file without
                >hesitation.
                >
                >Word does it slightly differently, it stops the proposed filename at the
                >first incidence of a forbidden character.
                >
                >Either clip can be modified to display the rename dialog with the
                >appropriate text entered as the potential filename. This allows editing
                >before the final save.
                >
                >To make either clip most useful you should add whichever to a Personal
                >ToolBar so it's readily available without having to find and focus the
                >clipbook containing the clip.
                >
                >Let me know.
                >
                >ºvº
                >05.10.11
                >hrs > hsavage@...

                Thanks, but i'm still having problems. I'm using this clip-

                H="Save As First Line"
                ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                ;_20051010_12:21:51p_hsavage@...
                ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
                ^!Set %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Path To Save Files=D:\My Documents\NoteTab\}
                ^!Set %line1%=^$GetLine(1)$
                ^!Save AS "^%path%^%line1%.txt"

                when i leave H= intact, i get an error message of-
                Cannot create file D:\My Documents\NoteTab\four score and seven years
                agoH="Save AsFirst Line" - it inserts the H= line at the end of the line
                a semicolon to stop the line gives the desired result and parks the file
                in \NoteTab\
                I'll remove Notetab and put it in My Docs. That still doesn't quite give
                me the option of selecting location to save, like Word does, but it's
                closer. Thanks, i'll have to continue to explore and experiment to get
                the desired result. Any clue as to how to prompt for input to choose
                location?
                Thanks again, this is fun!

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
                  Jefry S wrote:
                  > hsavage wrote:
                  >>
                  > Thanks, but i'm still having problems. I'm using this clip-
                  >
                  > H="Save As First Line"
                  > ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                  > ;_20051010_12:21:51p_hsavage@...
                  > ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
                  > ^!Set %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Path To Save Files=D:\My Documents\NoteTab\}
                  > ^!Set %line1%=^$GetLine(1)$
                  > ^!Save AS "^%path%^%line1%.txt"
                  >
                  > when i leave H= intact, i get an error message of-
                  > Cannot create file D:\My Documents\NoteTab\four score and seven years
                  > agoH="Save AsFirst Line" - it inserts the H= line at the end of the line
                  > a semicolon to stop the line gives the desired result and parks the file
                  > in \NoteTab\
                  > I'll remove Notetab and put it in My Docs.

                  That still doesn't quite give
                  > me the option of selecting location to save, like Word does, but it's
                  > closer. Thanks, i'll have to continue to explore and experiment to get
                  > the desired result. Any clue as to how to prompt for input to choose
                  > location?
                  > Thanks again, this is fun!

                  Jefry,

                  The short clip above was my first attempt, it didn't take into account
                  the presence of some of those forbidden characters I speak of. Double
                  quotes are forbidden in folder/filenames. That may be the reason you
                  can't save that file.

                  I'm not sure what text file you're trying to save, I don't understand
                  how you're getting the clip title as the first. Did you just create a
                  new file using the clip text as the body of the file?

                  With this latest clip it shouldn't matter if you use the clip text, it
                  will replace the forbidden characters during operation.

                  The process;

                  The first dialog lets you choose the destination folder, it must be a
                  present folder. After selecting the destination, click OK

                  The clip runs, grabs line 1, scans it for forbidden characters replacing
                  them with dashes. You can edit that line to use a character other than
                  dashes if you wish.

                  Edit, if you wish, the ^$StrReplace( line, replace the dash with an
                  ascii character of your choosing.

                  When the line is prepared for use the ^!KeyBoard F2 line should open the
                  Rename Document dialog box, the remainder of the keyboard line inserts
                  the revised filename only into the dialog for editing or accepting.

                  After this, when you click OK, the filename in the edit window, and, the
                  original disk file (if you loaded it from disk) are both renamed.

                  If you loaded the file from a source different than the destination you
                  chose in the first dialog you will have 2 copies of the file with the
                  new filename, one in the source folder and one in the destination folder.

                  The last line in the clip, the '^!Save AS' line, is there to insure the
                  file will be saved with its new filename in the proper destination
                  folder that you chose in the first dialog.

                  The proper operation is dependant on whether the destination folder
                  exists and whether you get a 'Rename Document' dialog by pressing F2 in
                  the NoteTab edit window. F2 should be the NoteTab default to 'Rename
                  Document'.

                  Try it, reply after testing.

                  You should delete the first clip, the one you sent in your email and
                  place the one below into your clipbook.

                  ------------------
                  H="Save As First Line"
                  ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                  ;_20051011_5:15:18p_hsavage@...
                  ^!ClearVariables
                  ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
                  ^!Set %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Path To Save Files=C:\+r2rweb\lists\}
                  ;
                  ^!SetListDelimiter ;
                  ; these are the 9 forbidden characters I know about, \/:*?"<>|
                  ^!SetArray %frbdn%="\;/;:;*;?;";<;>;|"
                  ^!Set %idx%=0; %cnt%=^%frbdn0%
                  ^!Set %name%="^$GetLine(1)$"
                  :FRBDN
                  ^!Inc %idx%
                  ; replaces forbidden characters with dashes
                  ^!Set %name%=^$StrReplace("^%frbdn^%idx%%";"-";"^%name%";0;0)$
                  ^!If ^%idx% = ^%cnt% NEXT ELSE FRBDN
                  ^!Set %name%=^$StrTrim("^%name%")$
                  ;
                  ^!KeyBoard F2 &50 #^%name%.#
                  ;^!RenameDoc "^%name%"
                  ^!Save AS "^%path%^%name%."
                  -------------------------

                  ºvº
                  05.10.11
                  hrs > hsavage@...
                • Don Daugherty
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 13, 2005
                    hsavage wrote:

                    >Jefry S wrote:
                    > > hsavage wrote:
                    > >>
                    > > Thanks, but i'm still having problems. I'm using this clip-
                    > >
                    > > H="Save As First Line"
                    > > ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                    > > ;_20051010_12:21:51p_hsavage@...
                    > > ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
                    > > ^!Set %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Path To Save Files=D:\My Documents\NoteTab\}
                    > > ^!Set %line1%=^$GetLine(1)$
                    > > ^!Save AS "^%path%^%line1%.txt"

                    I think there is some confusion regarding the H="Save As First Line".

                    That is the clip header-line within a clip library document. If you
                    open any clip library as a text file, either from the File>Open menu
                    item, or by right clicking on the library name in the clipbook window
                    and choosing Open as document, you will see lines of this nature
                    starting each clip. For example, one of my libraries, when so-opened reads

                    = V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30

                    H="Save AS"
                    ^!SetDebug On
                    ;Above line only for debugging purposes; delete it or prefix it with
                    semicolon for normal use.
                    ^!Jump Text_Start
                    ^!Jump Line_End
                    ^!SelectTo 1:1
                    ^!Set %FileName%="c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$."
                    ;Above provides nul file extension; use
                    ;^!Set %FileName%="c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$.txt"
                    ;if .txt is desired.
                    ^!Save AS "^%FileName%"
                    ;If preferred, the ^!Set and ^!Save AS lines can be combined into one:
                    ;^!Save AS "c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$." or
                    ;^!Save AS "c:\My Documents\^$GetSelection$.txt"

                    H="_OpenOrFocusApp"
                    ^!CmdShow Maximize
                    ^!IfAppOpen "^%TBar%" ^!Clip "AlreadyInUse"

                    One way to get the new clip into a library is to open that library in
                    this manner, and pasting the above text into an appropriate spot in that
                    document. "An appropriate spot" would be above an existing H="blah,
                    blah, " line. Be sure that each H="..." line has a blank line before
                    and after it, as illustrated above.)

                    The more usual way of entering clips into an existing library, is to
                    simply make the library the active or Open one in the clip library,
                    right click over any clipname listed within that library, and choosing
                    Add New Clip... This will prompt you to supply a name for the new clip
                    ("Save As 1st Line"?).
                    Once you have done that, a new main window will be opened and you can
                    start typing-in commands or pasting-in commands copied from email. In
                    that case your copying should EXCLUDE the H="Save ..." line in the email.
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 13, 2005
                      hsavage wrote:
                      > Jefry S wrote:
                      >> hsavage wrote:
                      >>>
                      >> Thanks, but i'm still having problems. I'm using this clip-
                      >
                      > Any clue as to how to prompt for input to choose location?
                      >
                      > Thanks again, this is fun!
                      >
                      > ------------------
                      > H="Save As First Line"
                      > ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                      > ;_20051011_5:15:18p_hsavage@...
                      > ^!ClearVariables
                      > ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
                      > ^!Set %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Path To Save Files=C:\+r2rweb\lists\}
                      > ;
                      > ^!SetListDelimiter ;
                      > ; these are the 9 forbidden characters I know about, \/:*?"<>|
                      > ^!SetArray %frbdn%="\;/;:;*;?;";<;>;|"
                      > ^!Set %idx%=0; %cnt%=^%frbdn0%
                      > ^!Set %name%="^$GetLine(1)$"
                      > :FRBDN
                      > ^!Inc %idx%
                      > ; replaces forbidden characters with dashes
                      > ^!Set %name%=^$StrReplace("^%frbdn^%idx%%";"-";"^%name%";0;0)$
                      > ^!If ^%idx% = ^%cnt% NEXT ELSE FRBDN
                      > ^!Set %name%=^$StrTrim("^%name%")$
                      > ;
                      > ^!KeyBoard F2 &50 #^%name%.#
                      > ;^!RenameDoc "^%name%"
                      > ^!Save AS "^%path%^%name%."
                      > -------------------------

                      Jefry,

                      The clip above was my second completed attempt, it is the one you may be
                      using now. I have a new, modified version I'm going to paste below.
                      It's my favorite so far. I like it well enough that I added an icon for
                      it in 2 of my Personal Toolbars.

                      The clip runs, grabs line 1, scans it for forbidden characters replacing
                      them with dashes. You can edit that line to use a character other than
                      dashes if you wish.

                      Edit, if you wish, the ^$StrReplace( line, replace the dash with an
                      ascii character of your choosing.

                      This is different from previous clips in that it uses only ONE Wizard
                      which allows 3 inputs,

                      input 1. an entry point to edit the proposed filename.

                      input 2. select default save location or use the wizard to select a new
                      location.

                      input 3. allow choice of whether to retain or delete source file.
                      Default is to retain, not delete, source.

                      ----------------------------
                      H="Save As First Line"
                      ;_Modified-Updated~Created
                      ;_20051013_2:07:17p_hsavage@...
                      ^!ClearVariables
                      ^!Set %sourcefile%="^$GetExpandedName(^##)$"
                      ^!SetListDelimiter ;
                      ;
                      ; these are the 9 forbidden characters I know about, \/:*?"<>|
                      ^!SetArray %frbdn%="\;/;:;*;?;";<;>;|"
                      ^!Set %idx%=0; %cnt%=^%frbdn0%
                      ^!Set %name%="^$GetLine(1)$"
                      :FRBDN
                      ^!Inc %idx%
                      ; replaces forbidden characters with dashes
                      ^!Set %name%=^$StrReplace("^%frbdn^%idx%%";"-";"^%name%";0;0)$
                      ^!If ^%idx% = ^%cnt% NEXT ELSE FRBDN
                      ^!Set %name%=^$StrTrim("^%name%")$
                      ; edit next line to reflect your starting_folder' preference
                      ;
                      ^!SetWizardLabel "Choose Destination - Edit FileName - Delete SourceFile"
                      ;
                      ; this is a very long line, you should check to make sure it is
                      straightened out
                      ^!Set %name%=^?{New FileName to Accept or Edit=^%name%};
                      %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Destination Path For File=C:\+r2rweb\lists\};
                      %delsource%=^?{Delete Source_File==Yes^=1|_No^=0}
                      ;
                      ^!Save AS "^%path%^%name%"
                      ^!IfTrue ^%delsource% ^!DeleteFile ^%sourcefile%
                      ---------------------------------------

                      Long lines usually get wrapped in email and it's up to you to make a
                      single long line out of them again. I've separated the most likely to
                      be wrapped with blank lines.

                      Try this clip, I think you'll like it better than the last.

                      ºvº
                      05.10.13
                      hrs > hsavage@...
                    • Bob McAllister
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 16, 2005
                        On 10/14/05, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                        > Try this clip, I think you'll like it better than the last.
                        >
                        > ºvº
                        > 05.10.13
                        > hrs > hsavage@...
                        >

                        > I had been using a very simple clip to rename a file using a selected
                        section of the text.
                        ^!Set %TempVar%=^$GetSelection$
                        ^!RenameDoc ^%TempVar%.txt
                        but I have been prompted to "borrow" some of the excellent ideas in
                        hsavage's work to build the following that will use selected text (if there
                        is any) or the first line of the file as the basis for the filename.
                        As well as stripping out the illegal characters, the clip will (i) limit
                        the filename to a predetermined length (ii) check that there is no space
                        immediately before the file extension (.txt) or (iii) remove all spaces
                        within the filename. Activate any or all of these to suit your personal
                        preferences.
                        H="Name as selection or first line"
                        ^!ClearVariables
                        ^!Set %namelength%=10
                        ^!Set %sourcefile%="^$GetExpandedName(^##)$"
                        ;
                        ^!Set %NewName%="^$GetLine(1)$"
                        ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ = 0 Skip_1
                        ^!Set %NewName%=^$GetSelection$
                        ;
                        ^!SetListDelimiter ;
                        ^!SetArray %frbdn%="\;/;:;*;?;";<;>;|"
                        ^!Set %idx%=0; %cnt%=^%frbdn0%
                        :FRBDN
                        ^!Inc %idx%
                        ^!Set %NewName%=^$StrReplace("^%frbdn^%idx%%";"-";"^%NewName%";0;0)$
                        ^!If ^%idx% = ^%cnt% NEXT ELSE FRBDN
                        ;
                        ;To limit name to specified maximum length
                        ;remove semicolon at start of next line.
                        ;^!Set %NewName%=^$StrCopy("^%NewName%";1;^%namelength%)$
                        ;To prevent name ending with a space
                        ;remove semicolon at start of next line.
                        ;^!Set %NewName%=^$StrTrim("^%NewName%")$
                        ;To strip all spaces from within name
                        ;remove semicolon at start of next line.
                        ;^!Set %NewName%=^$StrReplace(" ";"";"^%NewName%";0;0)$
                        ;
                        ^!SetWizardLabel "Confirm name, directory and backup"
                        ;---------Long line follows------------------
                        ^!Set %name%=^?{New FileName to Accept or Edit=^%NewName%.txt};
                        %path%=^?{(T=D)Choose Destination Path For File=d:\rjmca0\};
                        %delsource%=^?{Keep original (if it exists)==No^=1|_Yes^=0}
                        ^!Save AS "^%path%^%name%"
                        ^!IfTrue ^%delsource% ^!DeleteFile ^%sourcefile%
                        Bob McAllister

                      • rpdooling
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 17, 2005
                          Dear hrs: