Re: MakeShortcut command

  • Michael Frascinella
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30 10:19 AM
      Notetabbers,

      Well, I learned something new from the discussion of MakeShortcut. It
      took a few tries before I got the hang of it. The help was a little
      unclear and the definition of Target was hidden in the text of the
      previous parameter. The Description argument was actually the label for
      the shortcut as well as the comment for the shortcut properties.

      I can use this each time I move to a new PC. Currently, I have to copy
      to the new PC all my shortcut files and all the icons they use. With
      MakeShortcut, all I need are the icon files.

      But why is there no argument for the icon? It does seem to pick an icon
      if there are any defined within the executable, but I also have
      shortcuts to drives and folders and use special icons for them. It would
      be a perfect command if it allowed you to select the icon.

      Yours,

      Michael Frascinella
      Working from home
    • dave
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
        Hi Michael
        the icon is only a picture for you to click on , it has nothing to do with
        the shortcut , you can make your own icons if you wish .

        THANYOU DAVE
        > Well, I learned something new from the discussion of MakeShortcut. It
        > took a few tries before I got the hang of it. The help was a little
        > unclear and the definition of Target was hidden in the text of the
        > previous parameter. The Description argument was actually the label for
        > the shortcut as well as the comment for the shortcut properties.
        >
        > I can use this each time I move to a new PC. Currently, I have to copy
        > to the new PC all my shortcut files and all the icons they use. With
        > MakeShortcut, all I need are the icon files.
        >
        > But why is there no argument for the icon? It does seem to pick an icon
        > if there are any defined within the executable, but I also have
        > shortcuts to drives and folders and use special icons for them. It would
        > be a perfect command if it allowed you to select the icon.
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Michael Frascinella
        > Working from home

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
          Dave,

          Icons, of course, are merely graphics that can be created with many
          applications. However, one or more icons are embedded in exe's and one
          is the default used when shortcuts are created.

          The thing Michael is referring to is that there is a property of the
          shortcut that can refer to a specific icon. Notetab's ^!MakeShortcut
          command does not allow one to control this. Because of this, one is
          limited to the default shortcut of the executable or file type referred
          to. The only recourse is to script a complex clip to change the icon via
          ^!Keyboard commands, or do it manually (Right-click the shortcut,
          left-click Properties, go to the Shortcut tab and click the Change Icon
          button, then navigate to and select the desired icon, etc.).

          The scripting utility AutoIt, as well as other tools, do allow one to
          specify the desired icon, with their create shortcut command.

          It is this functionality, plus some others related to shortcuts that I
          and others would like to be able to do with the ^!MakeShortcut command.

          Larry Hamilton
          Kairos Computer Solutions
          http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
          Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

          dave wrote:

          >Hi Michael
          >the icon is only a picture for you to click on , it has nothing to do with
          >the shortcut , you can make your own icons if you wish .
          >
          > THANYOU DAVE

        • dave
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
            Hi
            If the sendto list is what he means then you can have any of the icons that
            XP or 98 internally or you can make your own and use them.

            THANYOU DAVE