MakeShortcut command

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29 9:35 AM
      I was working with the ^!Make Shortcut command, and found a couple of
      things that would be helpful. I am sending to both the Clips and
      NextRelease lists.

      The applications I support at my day job require the runtime of the
      programming language (the Target of the shortcut), and the ini and other
      parameter files as the arguments. When clients need the runtime for a
      different version of Windows, we have to change or make new shortcuts,
      so I was looking for a way to help automate the process.

      Since the runtime is the target, it uses the icon for the runtime, so
      the icon for our applications has to be set manually. I think it would
      be helpful to be able to set the icon with the ^!MakeShortcut command.

      I also noticed that the "Start in:" line of the shortcut properties does
      not get filled. Sometimes our application is sensitive to this. I
      suggest also being able to define the Start in line as part of the
      ^!MakeShortcut command.

      In the meantime, does anyone know of a lnk file editor to directly edit
      the shortcut that is easier than going through the hassle of all the
      different properties?

      Thanks!

      --
      Larry Hamilton
      Kairos Computer Solutions
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29 10:04 AM
        The next be part OT and part not OT

        I don't know what it is but did ran accross (it) Win32::Shortcut a
        Perl module

        http://dada.perl.it/

        http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Perl/Win32/

        http://www.google.com/search?q=perl+win32+shortcut+edit&sourceid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

        (urls here are in reverse order from how I arrived at Win32::Shortcut)
        --

        "menu" of shortcuts (so to speak)

        EZ 2 create a "menu" in Perl (or ntb clip for that matter) (or DOS
        .bat lingo) (or bash shell script -- oops, wrong OS :-). But this is
        a text menu from which to choose, not gui icons like you want.

        Only else 2 mind at now, is a question: can some programmer's "app
        launch bar" or other form of add on app launcher be applicable/relevant?

        Adios. Alan.

        [ snip ]

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29 1:03 PM
          Alan,

          Thanks for the information.

          I have done some more searcing. This has been an on and off project on
          the side for a few years now. I have a vbscipt that can read the lnk
          file, and some c and c++ code samples.

          I did find one shareware editor, but it does not handle the icon path
          the way I need to.

          I really want a stand alone executable that can do the trick or a batch
          file or vbs/js file that does not freak out virus scanners. I need
          something quick and simple to save on lots of mouse clicks and typing. I
          may just have to learn c++ well enough to make my own. ;-)

          acummingsus wrote:

          >The next be part OT and part not OT
          >
          >I don't know what it is but did ran accross (it) Win32::Shortcut a
          >Perl module

        • Michael Frascinella
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30 10:19 AM
            Notetabbers,

            Well, I learned something new from the discussion of MakeShortcut. It
            took a few tries before I got the hang of it. The help was a little
            unclear and the definition of Target was hidden in the text of the
            previous parameter. The Description argument was actually the label for
            the shortcut as well as the comment for the shortcut properties.

            I can use this each time I move to a new PC. Currently, I have to copy
            to the new PC all my shortcut files and all the icons they use. With
            MakeShortcut, all I need are the icon files.

            But why is there no argument for the icon? It does seem to pick an icon
            if there are any defined within the executable, but I also have
            shortcuts to drives and folders and use special icons for them. It would
            be a perfect command if it allowed you to select the icon.

            Yours,

            Michael Frascinella
            Working from home
          • dave
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
              Hi Michael
              the icon is only a picture for you to click on , it has nothing to do with
              the shortcut , you can make your own icons if you wish .

              THANYOU DAVE
              > Well, I learned something new from the discussion of MakeShortcut. It
              > took a few tries before I got the hang of it. The help was a little
              > unclear and the definition of Target was hidden in the text of the
              > previous parameter. The Description argument was actually the label for
              > the shortcut as well as the comment for the shortcut properties.
              >
              > I can use this each time I move to a new PC. Currently, I have to copy
              > to the new PC all my shortcut files and all the icons they use. With
              > MakeShortcut, all I need are the icon files.
              >
              > But why is there no argument for the icon? It does seem to pick an icon
              > if there are any defined within the executable, but I also have
              > shortcuts to drives and folders and use special icons for them. It would
              > be a perfect command if it allowed you to select the icon.
              >
              > Yours,
              >
              > Michael Frascinella
              > Working from home

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
                Dave,

                Icons, of course, are merely graphics that can be created with many
                applications. However, one or more icons are embedded in exe's and one
                is the default used when shortcuts are created.

                The thing Michael is referring to is that there is a property of the
                shortcut that can refer to a specific icon. Notetab's ^!MakeShortcut
                command does not allow one to control this. Because of this, one is
                limited to the default shortcut of the executable or file type referred
                to. The only recourse is to script a complex clip to change the icon via
                ^!Keyboard commands, or do it manually (Right-click the shortcut,
                left-click Properties, go to the Shortcut tab and click the Change Icon
                button, then navigate to and select the desired icon, etc.).

                The scripting utility AutoIt, as well as other tools, do allow one to
                specify the desired icon, with their create shortcut command.

                It is this functionality, plus some others related to shortcuts that I
                and others would like to be able to do with the ^!MakeShortcut command.

                dave wrote:

                >Hi Michael
                >the icon is only a picture for you to click on , it has nothing to do with
                >the shortcut , you can make your own icons if you wish .
                >
                > THANYOU DAVE

              • dave
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
                  Hi
                  If the sendto list is what he means then you can have any of the icons that
                  XP or 98 internally or you can make your own and use them.

                  THANYOU DAVE