Display Quotations

  • rpdooling
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2005
      Does anybody have a clip that periodically displays one random line of
      a large text file of humorous or inspirational quotations?

      I collect quotes and would like to find the best way to have them pop
      up and display, one at a time, throughout the day, either in a Notetab
      file dedicated to that purpose, or some other pop-up. Of course I also
      want to be able to continue working in NoteTab so, correct me if I'm
      wrong, it can't be an Info Box or a Wizard.

      Just having one tabbed file dedicated to this purpse would be fine,
      but I'm uncertain if there's a way to have it running in the
      backgroud, as it were?

      My simplest files would be simply
      [tab]Quotation[tab]--Author

      Would also be interested in other NoteTab clippers who have found
      elegant clips for displaying or retrieving quotations from
      tab-delimited NoteTab files.

      Thanks,

      rd
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2005
        I know that Jody has a clip Library (Sureword) that will display random
        Bible verses when the Library is activated. There is a clip to format
        the text file you have that you want to display. It could be adapted to
        your needs.

        There have also been similar clips developed over the years. It should
        be a simple matter for someone with the time to do it.

        The trick is to get it to "pop-up" periodically while still working in
        NoteTab. Perhaps a minimized to tray instance or dedicated ini file run
        from a batch file would do the trick.

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        rpdooling wrote:

        >Does anybody have a clip that periodically displays one random line of
        >a large text file of humorous or inspirational quotations?
        >
        >I collect quotes and would like to find the best way to have them pop
        >up and display, one at a time, throughout the day, either in a Notetab
        >file dedicated to that purpose, or some other pop-up. Of course I also
        >want to be able to continue working in NoteTab so, correct me if I'm
        >wrong, it can't be an Info Box or a Wizard.
        >
        >Just having one tabbed file dedicated to this purpse would be fine,
        >but I'm uncertain if there's a way to have it running in the
        >backgroud, as it were?
        >
        >My simplest files would be simply
        >[tab]Quotation[tab]--Author

      • rpdooling
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2005
          Larry,

          Thanks. I will find SureWord and examine it.

          I've already made some progress using some PERL scripts that work
          quite nicely and feed the output into ^!Info boxes for viewing.

          Rick