Re: [Clip] Clip Script HELP Variables

  • Ronald Reagan
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 19 11:59 AM
      --- "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@...> wrote:

      > Ronald Reagan wrote:
      > > I am having problems using Variables
      > >
      > > The following works in a text document
      > > ^!SetCursor 11:1
      > > ^!SelectTo 11:10
      > >
      > > The following does not
      > > ^!SetDebug On
      > >
      > > ^!Set %xTest%=10
      > > ^!Set %yTest%=11
      > > ^!SetCursor ^%yTest%:1
      > > ^!SelectTo ^%yTest%:^%xTest%
      > >
      > I get stuff like this to work all the time in clips,
      > so this is odd
      > behavior. Are you sure there isn't a typo? In
      > debug, what does it say
      > in the box? It should fill in the variables in the
      > prompt just before
      > it goes forward. You might also try an info to see
      > if the variable is
      > set to what you expect.

      Don,
      Are you sure there isn't a typo?
      **-What you see is what you get.
      There are no typos.-**

      In debug, what does it say in the box?
      **-As stated in initial request, the Debug and its
      window (prompt), is monitored, and the variables are
      witnessed being filled, accurately.-**

      It should fill in the variables in the prompt just
      before it goes forward.
      **-It does, again, accurately-**
      **-It will even show the variable filled statement as
      ^!SelectTo 11:10-**

      You might also try an info to see if the variable is
      set to what you expect.
      **-Info has been used and validated. It's nothing more
      than a mere variable-**

      It simply won't execute the variable filled
      instructions.

      Thank you Don for your time and effort,
      -T

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ronald Reagan
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 19 12:01 PM
        --- rpdooling <rpdooling@...> wrote:

        > Both clips work on my machine running NoteTab Pro.
        > Only thing I can
        > think of is you have no line 11 in the file you're
        > testing it on? Or
        > the line does not contain ten characters?
        >
        > Sorry
        >
        > rd
        >
        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don -
        > htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:
        > > Ronald Reagan wrote:
        > > > I am having problems using Variables
        > > >
        > > > The following works in a text document
        > > > ^!SetCursor 11:1
        > > > ^!SelectTo 11:10
        > > >
        > > > The following does not
        > > > ^!SetDebug On
        > > >
        > > > ^!Set %xTest%=10
        > > > ^!Set %yTest%=11
        > > > ^!SetCursor ^%yTest%:1
        > > > ^!SelectTo ^%yTest%:^%xTest%
        > > >
        > > I get stuff like this to work all the time in
        > clips, so this is odd
        > > behavior. Are you sure there isn't a typo? In
        > debug, what does it say
        > > in the box? It should fill in the variables in
        > the prompt just before
        > > it goes forward. You might also try an info to
        > see if the variable is
        > > set to what you expect.

        rd,
        Only thing I can think of is you have no line 11 in
        the file you're testing it on?
        Or the line does not contain ten characters?

        **-That was the reason I provided the SAME
        instructions absent the VARIBLES in the first in order
        to provide evidence, it does work. On the TEXT
        document tested, for both set of instructions, there
        is indeed an eleventh row and a ten character (column)
        long word on said row.-**

        It simply won't execute the 2 variable filled
        instructions.
        Thank you rd for your time and effort,
        -T

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Ronald Reagan
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 19 12:05 PM
          --- hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

          > Ronald Reagan wrote:
          > > I am having problems using Variables
          > >
          > > The following works in a text document
          > > ^!SetCursor 11:1
          > > ^!SelectTo 11:10
          > >
          > > The following does not
          > > ^!SetDebug On
          > >
          > > ^!Set %xTest%=10
          > > ^!Set %yTest%=11
          > > ^!SetCursor ^%yTest%:1
          > > ^!SelectTo ^%yTest%:^%xTest%
          > >
          > > Using the Debug, I view both Variables get
          > filled, and
          > > the Instruction being assembled accurately, but
          > the
          > > execution fails.
          > >
          > > ^!SetCursor ^%yTest%:1 does work,,but if column
          > is >1
          > > or a Variable it does not.
          > >
          > > One way I got it to work, by accident, was to
          > have the
          > > same Variable i.e.
          > > ^!SelectTo ^%yTest%:^%yTest%
          >
          > Ronald,
          >
          > If you strictly want to use variables it may help
          > you to use more
          > representative variable names until you get the
          > logic worked out. For
          > instance, below, just like in Help, use %row% for
          > the row variable and
          > %col% for column to avoid any confusion.
          >
          > h=x
          > ^!SetDebug 1
          > ;
          > ^!ClearVariables
          > ^!Set %row%=11
          > ^!Set %col%=10
          > ^!Set %zTest%=1
          > ^!SetCursor ^%row%:^%zTest%
          > ^!SelectTo ^%row%:^%col%
          >
          > ºvº
          > 05.09.19
          > hrs > hsavage@...

          hsavage,
          If you strictly want to use variables
          **-Forgive me, I find this to be both odd and a
          humorous statement considering it's in the context of
          CLIPs. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest, YES, my
          desire is to use variables, as I believe a majority of
          us wish to do so.-**

          it may help you to use more representative variable
          names until you get the logic worked out.

          **-Variable names utilized are certainly at the
          discretion of the author.
          This is not my first editor, compiler that I have used
          to write instructions.
          Other editors and compilers are sensitive to those
          buzz words (row, col).
          Hence I gained practice not to use those words.
          Moreover, the instructions presented, were
          extrapolated from a more detailed elaborate CLIP
          written. The instructions presented for review, are in
          my opinion, has little or null logic necessary for
          execution.
          It's more of a flow problem based on predefined input.
          Irrelevant to the variable names chosen I wish to have
          focus on the inability for the CLIP to operate
          correctly when two independent and separate variables
          are introduced on a ONE LINE STATEMENT.
          Can you shed light on why this is occurring?
          Thank you.
          Given:
          Instruction written with no variables operate
          adequately.
          Same instruction introducing one variable operate at
          times.
          Same instruction introducing TWO different variables
          does not execute, even though Debug will verify that
          any and ALL variable names being used are being filled
          appropriately with the correct input!-**

          Thank you hsavage for your time and effort,
          -T

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ronald Reagan
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 19 12:08 PM
            --- hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

            > hsavage wrote:
            > > Ronald Reagan wrote:
            > >> I am having problems using Variables
            > >>
            > >> The following works in a text document
            > >> ^!SetCursor 11:1
            > >> ^!SelectTo 11:10
            > >>
            > >> The following does not
            > >> ^!SetDebug On
            > >>
            > >> ^!Set %xTest%=10
            > >> ^!Set %yTest%=11
            > >> ^!SetCursor ^%yTest%:1
            > >> ^!SelectTo ^%yTest%:^%xTest%
            > >>
            > > Ronald,
            > >
            > > If you strictly want to use variables it may help
            > you to use more
            > > representative variable names until you get the
            > logic worked out. For
            > > instance, below, just like in Help, use %row% for
            > the row variable and
            > > %col% for column to avoid any confusion.
            > >
            > > h=x
            > > ^!SetDebug 1
            > > ;
            > > ^!ClearVariables
            > > ^!Set %row%=11
            > > ^!Set %col%=10
            > > ^!Set %zTest%=1
            > > ^!SetCursor ^%row%:^%zTest%
            > > ^!SelectTo ^%row%:^%col%
            >
            > Ronald,
            >
            > Sorry, in the previous message I neglected to
            > mention, and agree with
            > rpdooling, you may have no line 11. A blank line
            > has no column
            > positions and a non-existent line has no row or
            > column positions.
            >
            > ºvº
            > 05.09.19
            > hrs > hsavage@...

            hsavage
            and agree with
            rpdooling, you may have no line 11.

            **-That was the reason I provided the SAME
            instructions absent the VARIBLES in the first in order
            to provide evidence, it does work. On the TEXT
            document tested, for both set of instructions, there
            is indeed an eleventh row and a ten character (column)
            long word on said row.-**

            It simply won't execute the 2 variable filled
            instructions.

            Thank you again hsavage for your time and effort,
            -T

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Ronald Reagan
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 19 12:10 PM
              --- Hugo Paulissen <hugopaulissen@...> wrote:

              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Reagan
              > <bewarefr@y...> wrote:
              > > I am having problems using Variables
              > >

              > In addition to previous answers: you might want to
              > check if there are
              > any trailing spaces after the value...
              >
              > Hugo

              Hugo

              In addition to previous answers: you might want to
              check if there are
              any trailing spaces after the value...

              **-As far as the manual states, CLIPS don't recognize
              spaces.
              Nevertheless, Carriage Returns are the only thing
              present behind Instruction Statement.
              Again,
              Given:
              Instruction written with no variables operate
              adequately.
              Same instruction introducing one variable operate at
              times.
              Same instruction introducing TWO different variables
              does not execute, even though Debug will verify that
              any and ALL variable names being used are being filled
              appropriately with the correct input!-**

              Thank you Hugo for your time and effort,
              -T

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Hugo Paulissen
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 19 1:29 PM
                > Nevertheless, Carriage Returns are the only thing
                > present behind Instruction Statement.

                If I copy your instructions, I still have a trailing space behind the
                10 and the 11. Once removed, the clip works (for me) as you expect...

                > > ^!Set %xTest%=10
                > > ^!Set %yTest%=11

                Hugo
              • Ronald Reagan
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 19 1:51 PM
                  --- Hugo Paulissen <hugopaulissen@...> wrote:

                  > > Nevertheless, Carriage Returns are the only thing
                  > > present behind Instruction Statement.
                  >
                  > If I copy your instructions, I still have a trailing
                  > space behind the
                  > 10 and the 11. Once removed, the clip works (for me)
                  > as you expect...
                  >
                  > > > ^!Set %xTest%=10
                  > > > ^!Set %yTest%=11
                  >
                  > Hugo

                  Hugo,
                  This is odd as heck!
                  Certain carriage returns are being used, my
                  instructions fails.
                  Additionally I just used "hsavage" sent Instructions,
                  and it works marvelously.
                  I can't explain it.

                  Thanx again for your time and effort Hugo and all,
                  -T

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 19 2:11 PM
                    Ronald Reagan wrote:

                    > --- hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Ronald Reagan wrote:
                    >>> I am having problems using Variables
                    >>>
                    >>> The following works in a text document
                    >>> ^!SetCursor 11:1
                    >>> ^!SelectTo 11:10
                    >>>
                    >>> The following does not
                    >>> ^!SetDebug On
                    >>>
                    >>> ^!Set %xTest%=10
                    >>> ^!Set %yTest%=11
                    >>> ^!SetCursor ^%yTest%:1
                    >>> ^!SelectTo ^%yTest%:^%xTest%
                    >>>
                    > hsavage,
                    > If you strictly want to use variables
                    > **-Forgive me, I find this to be both odd and a
                    > humorous statement considering it's in the context of
                    > CLIPs. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest, YES, my
                    > desire is to use variables, as I believe a majority of
                    > us wish to do so.-**

                    Glad I was able to brighten your day.

                    > It's more of a flow problem based on predefined input.
                    > Irrelevant to the variable names chosen I wish to have
                    > focus on the inability for the CLIP to operate
                    > correctly when two independent and separate variables
                    > are introduced on a ONE LINE STATEMENT.
                    > Can you shed light on why this is occurring?
                    > Thank you.

                    Regardless of the result you're getting locally the clip segment you
                    provided performs exactly as it's written. It moves the cursor to row
                    11, column 1, then selects the text beginning with column 1 to column 10.

                    ---------
                    h=x
                    ^!SetDebug On

                    ^!Set %xTest%=10
                    ^!Set %yTest%=11
                    ^!SetCursor ^%yTest%:1
                    ^!SelectTo ^%yTest%:^%xTest%
                    ---------------

                    I agree with Hugo, the 2 value ^!Set commands each has an extra space
                    following the instruction, but, the clip works correctly on my machine,
                    trailing spaces or not.

                    Sorry we haven't been able to help.

                    ºvº
                    05.09.19
                    hrs > hsavage@...
                  • Don Daugherty
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 20 7:55 AM
                      Ronald Reagan wrote:

                      >>>If I copy your instructions, I still have a trailing
                      >>>space behind the
                      >>>10 and the 11. Once removed, the clip works (for me)
                      >>>as you expect...
                      >>>

                      >>Hugo,
                      >>This is odd as heck!
                      >>Certain carriage returns are being used, my
                      >>instructions fails.
                      >>Additionally I just used "hsavage" sent Instructions,
                      >>and it works marvelously.
                      >>I can't explain it.

                      There's a setting under View/Options/Documents, "Trim White Spaces"; I
                      believe checking it (and saving the clip) strips any trailing spaces so
                      the clip command executes correctly.