Utilities: strip HTML not working?

  • Carol Whitney
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2005
      My web site desperately needs a print-media .css, and I'm trying to
      learn how to make one, and thanks to Greg Chapman for leads!

      Meantime, though, I'm trying to create a plain-text file that will be
      easily printable just to contain the information from a page on my
      site. Also, I'm including the introduction to the article on that
      page, and the introduction is on my home page.

      So I opened a new file, wrote a bit into it, then pasted the part
      from my Home page (including the HTML tags); then wrote another bit,
      and then pasted in the text portion (tagged with HTML tags) from the
      page that holds the article.

      My lines of text - tagged paragraphs, for instance, aren't wrapped.

      I can't get the "Convert HTML to text" in the Utilities Clipbook
      Library to work at all. I want to strip out all the tags.

      Any idea why, when I double-click "Convert HTML to text" it prompts
      me appropriately, saying first that all open documents will be
      converted (I say yes to that), then to Keep links in tags (yes/no)
      and Automatically save converted documents (yes/no); I select my
      choices and press OK - and nothing happens. All the tags are still
      present.

      I tried it also with no text selected, but that didn't work either.

      Thanks in advance for any help!

      Sat, 10 Sep 2005 06:08:40
      Carol Whitney
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      *** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify me first. ***
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 10, 2005
        Hi Carol,

        >Any idea why, when I double-click "Convert HTML to text" it
        >prompts me appropriately, saying first that all open documents
        >will be converted (I say yes to that), then to Keep links in tags
        >(yes/no) and Automatically save converted documents (yes/no); I
        >select my choices and press OK - and nothing happens. All the
        >tags are still present.

        It is working here. Do you have correct HTML coding for the header?
        Are they .htm/.html file extensions?

        http://www.sojourner.us/software
      • Carol Whitney
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 11, 2005
          At 14:45 05-09-10 -0500, Jody wrote:

          >Hi Carol,
          >
          > >Any idea why, when I double-click "Convert HTML to text" it
          > >prompts me appropriately, saying first that all open documents
          > >will be converted (I say yes to that), then to Keep links in tags
          > >(yes/no) and Automatically save converted documents (yes/no); I
          > >select my choices and press OK - and nothing happens. All the
          > >tags are still present.
          >
          >It is working here. Do you have correct HTML coding for the header?

          Oh! Oh, oh, OH! No! No header in there at all! I had already edited
          the text - it has only the tags (<h#> and <p> tags only). Maybe I
          could stick an elementary header in there! Why not? Then take it out
          again afterwards. I suppose I'd need the closing tags also.

          I'm using XHTML 1.0 Strict, and assume the utility would recognize
          such a header? If not, I could replace the doctype with an HTML one
          for the purpose of stripping <g>.

          >Are they .htm/.html file extensions?

          I can't remember! I think not; I think I had a .TXT extension. I'll
          make them .HTM extensions.; then maybe it will all work, and I can
          then select, copy, paste to a .TXT document.

          This is the price I pay (see the OffTopic list) for doing my entire
          site with visual .css only! I don't have a working printer, so now I
          need to learn how to make a print media .CSS (external), with no
          printer <g>.

          At least I found a great site for study:

          http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=PrintStylesheets

          but gosh; that is going to take me a LONG time to learn! (Also, I
          have a sneaking suspicion maybe Javascript would be required to allow
          visitors to select their preferred style sheets [external .css files]
          - do you know if that's right?)

          I'll experiment with that HTML-stripping, and let you know what
          happens. Heck; I'll just copy the entire page to a new file, and
          strip that one, and then select and paste the text I want to send!

          Thanks a million, Jody!

          Sun, 11 Sep 2005 05:18:55
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 11, 2005
            At 14:45 05-09-10 -0500, Jody wrote:

            >It is working here. Do you have correct HTML coding for the header?
            >Are they .htm/.html file extensions?

            I copied my pages to another directory, opened those in NoteTab Pro,
            used the HTML-to-text Utility - and wow; it did the job instantly and
            Practically Perfectly!

            Learn something new every day! Especially, when I ask, haha! Thanks
            again!

            Sun, 11 Sep 2005 05:58:52
            Carol Whitney
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            *** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify me first. ***
          • John
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 12, 2005
              Carol Whitney wrote:

              > .. I don't have a working printer, so now I
              > need to learn how to make a print media .CSS (external), with no
              > printer <g>.

              If you want a .css file to allow a print version
              (in black & white) of a page, I can send you one.
              It's not something I wrote, it happened to
              appear in a mag ..
              John
            • Jamal Mazrui
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 12, 2005
                Are you loading the whole HTML source file into NoteTab (e.g., from
                reliably.

                I have converted many different HTML files. NoteTab does better
                conversions to text than any tool I've tried, which are several in
                number.

                Jamal

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 14, 2005
                  Hi Carol,

                  >> It is working here. Do you have correct HTML coding for the
                  >> header? Are they .htm/.html file extensions?
                  >
                  >I copied my pages to another directory, opened those in NoteTab
                  >Pro, used the HTML-to-text Utility - and wow; it did the job
                  >instantly and Practically Perfectly!

                  Great! You can also put the two strip HTML features (keep urls or
                  not) icons on the Toolbar or your Shortcut menu (right click in
                  document) so that you do not have to go to the Utilities Library
                  all the time. Go to View | Options and the Toolbar/Shortcut tab
                  respectfully. (They aren't named exactly the same as the Modify
                  menu, but you will find them and then only have to remember which
                  one does what. <g>

                  http://www.sojourner.us/software
                • HT_LING
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 14, 2005

                    > >> It is working here. Do you have correct HTML coding for the
                    > >> header? Are they .htm/.html file extensions?
                    > >
                    > >I copied my pages to another directory, opened those in NoteTab
                    > >Pro, used the HTML-to-text Utility - and wow; it did the job
                    > >instantly and Practically Perfectly!

                    If the document is not saved with all the html formalities (i.e. a "fake" html doc), wouldn't it
                    work just with SELECT ALL, Shift+Ctrl+T (Remove All Tags) or by a single click on the Strip Tags
                    icon if it is on the toolbar?

                    -ht
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 14, 2005
                      Hi HT, Carol, and Others,

                      >>> I copied my pages to another directory, opened those in
                      >>> NoteTab Pro, used the HTML-to-text Utility - and wow; it did
                      >>> the job instantly and Practically Perfectly!
                      >
                      >If the document is not saved with all the html formalities (i.e.
                      >a "fake" html doc), wouldn't it work just with SELECT ALL,
                      >Shift+Ctrl+T (Remove All Tags) or by a single click on the Strip
                      >Tags icon if it is on the toolbar?

                      That's a good point! Even though I strip html from selected text
                      every now and then, I forgot about it when posting. <g> Thanks
                      for the reminder.

                      http://www.sojourner.us/software