Re: Re: [Clip] removing blank lines at start and end of a variable

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
      Don/others

      If part of your sample is :
      text
      blankline
      dividing point:delimiter
      blank line
      text

      then this regexp (not tested) should convert it to:

      text
      dividing point:delimiter
      text

      ^!replace "\n+dividing point:delimiter\n+" >> "\ndividing point:delimiter\n"
      rwsait

      Note: if the sample is already:
      text
      dividing point:delimiter
      text
      -- then the above regexp is a no-op and will get hits but not alter what is
      already there.

      subject of course to the main file not being so large that regexp's fail.
      AFAICT, you could put it at either the top or bottom of HRS' earlier clip
      which did not include support for the delimiter and get what you require.

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
        Alec Burgess wrote:
        > Don/others
        >
        > then this regexp (not tested) should convert it to:
        >
        > text
        > dividing point:delimiter
        > text
        >
        > ^!replace "\n+dividing point:delimiter\n+" >> "\ndividing
        point:delimiter\n"
        > rwsait
        >
        > Note: if the sample is already:
        > text
        > dividing point:delimiter
        > text
        > -- then the above regexp is a no-op and will get hits but not alter
        what is
        > already there.
        >
        > subject of course to the main file not being so large that regexp's fail.
        > AFAICT, you could put it at either the top or bottom of HRS' earlier clip
        > which did not include support for the delimiter and get what you require.
        >
        > Regards ... Alec

        Alec, Don,

        This regex is now tested. Adding Alec's ^!Replace to one of my earlier
        attempts and changing the delimiter to the correct characters the clip
        now works fine on my limited sample.

        H="Xblanklines"
        ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
        ^!SetWordWrap 0
        ^!Jump 1
        :LOOP_TOP
        ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
        ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_TOP
        ^!Replace "\n+==========\n+" >> "\n==========\n" IWRSA
        ^!Jump DOC_END
        :LOOP_END
        ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
        ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_END
        ^!InsertText ^%nl%
        ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

        Try it, let us know.

        ºvº
        05.09.07
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
          hsavage wrote:
          > Alec Burgess wrote:
          >> Don/others
          >> subject of course to the main file not being so large that regexp's
          fail.
          >> AFAICT, you could put it at either the top or bottom of HRS'
          earlier clip
          >> which did not include support for the delimiter and get what you
          require.

          >> Regards ... Alec
          >
          > Alec, Don,
          >
          > This regex is now tested. Adding Alec's ^!Replace to one of my earlier
          > attempts and changing the delimiter to the correct characters the clip
          > now works fine on my limited sample.
          >
          > H="Xblanklines"
          > ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
          > ^!SetWordWrap 0
          > ^!Jump 1
          > :LOOP_TOP
          > ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
          > ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_TOP
          > ^!Replace "\n+==========\n+" >> "\n==========\n" IWRSA
          > ^!Jump DOC_END
          > :LOOP_END
          > ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
          > ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_END
          > ^!InsertText ^%nl%
          > ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%
          >
          > Try it, let us know.
          >
          > ºvº
          > 05.09.07
          > hrs > hsavage@...

          The regex can be shortened somewhat as follows,

          ^!Replace "\n+{==========}\n+" >> "\n\1\n" IWRSA

          ºvº
          05.09.07
          hrs > hsavage@...
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 10, 2005
            Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
            >>> if I have a variable that contains this
            >
            > blankline
            > blankline
            > text
            > text
            > blankline
            > text
            > text
            > blankline
            > blankline
            > ==========
            > blankline
            > blankline
            > blankline
            > text
            > text
            > blankline
            > text
            > text
            > ==========
            > blankline
            > blankline
            > blankline
            > text
            > text
            > blankline
            > text
            > text
            > blankline
            > blankline
            > blankline
            >
            > The number of blank lines before or after the content is varied. So
            > simple search and replaces don't work. I have already taken the file
            > and stepped through it so that in step one, the first part before the
            > first dividing line/delimiter is loaded into a variable. I then save
            > that variable to a new file. Before saving, however, I want to clean it
            > up. I may be able to do it with your clips which I will study after
            > saving it. If I could do it before saving it, even better. In fact if
            > I could do the file before running my steps on it, maybe that would
            > work. I don't know the file size as this is to help another person.
            > The sample they sent me was fairly small.
            >
            > Double returns between paragraphs aren't my concern, it was the extra
            > white space before and after the delimiters that I am trying to get out
            > of the variables.

            Don,

            Here's my latest revision to remove extra blank lines and transform the
            files into bite-sized indexed/numbered files. Try it to see if it suits.

            The blankline entries above represents an empty line. I did multiple
            paste to create a sample file just over 60 kb, clip performed great.

            H="X_Blanklines"
            ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
            ^!SetWordWrap 0
            ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
            ;
            ; sets filename variable and tab location to use later
            ^!Set %doc_idx%=^$GetDocIndex$
            ^!Set %fn%=^$GetPath(^##)$^$GetName(^##)$
            ;
            ; removes empty lines from bof
            ^!Jump 1
            :LOOP_TOP
            ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
            ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_TOP
            ;
            ; removes empty lines either side of delimiters
            ^!Replace "\n+{==========}\n+" >> "\n\1\n" IWRSA
            ^!Jump DOC_END
            ;
            ; removes empty lines from eof
            :LOOP_END
            ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
            ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_END
            ;
            ; adds delimiter to eof and saves
            ^!InsertText "^p==========^p"
            ^!Save
            ;
            ; creates temp file to dissect
            ^!Set %tf%=^$GetTempFile$
            ^!TextToFile "^%tf%" ^$GetFileText(^##)$
            ^!Open "^%tf%"
            ^!SetWordWrap 0
            ;
            ; selects topmost text for numbered file - allows 3 digit numbers
            ^!Set %df%=0
            :DF
            ^!Inc %df%
            ^!Set %df%=^$StrCopyRight("00^%df%";3)$
            ^!Find "==========" S
            ^!IfError END
            ^!DeleteLine
            ^!SelectTo 1:1
            ;
            ; cuts and copies each selection numbered file
            ^!Menu Edit/Cut
            ^!TextToFile "^%fn%_^%df%." ^$GetClipboard$
            ^!Goto DF
            :END
            ;
            ; destroys empty tempfile after dissection, refocuses original file
            ^!DestroyDoc
            ^!SetDocIndex ^%doc_idx%
            ;
            ; removes previously added delimiter at eof and saves
            ^!Jump DOC_END
            ^!IfError SKIP
            ^!DeleteLine
            ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%
            ^!Save

            With the commented lines removed it's not a very large clip.

            ºvº
            05.09.10
            hrs > hsavage@...