Re: [Clip] removing blank lines at start and end of a variable

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
      Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
      > hsavage wrote:
      >>
      >> Have you found a suitable method to do the above, if not I've devised 2
      >> clip methods for the job?
      >>
      >> The first should work regardless of filesize, it only deals with the
      >> start and end lines, the second is dependant on selecting the entire
      >> file. This could possibly exceed NoteTabs internal Selection or
      >> Paragraph limits with a very large file.
      >>
      >> With either clip un-commenting the ^!Replace line will ensure there are
      >> no 'extra' blank lines between paragraphs.
      >>

      > Thanks for your continued efforts on this. I have not solved it yet.
      > The prior suggestion assumed that I had just two lines of text. That is
      > a fair (though inacurate) assumption based upon my question. What I did
      > is take a file that may look like this:
      >
      > blank line
      > blank line
      > text
      > text
      > blankline
      > text
      > text
      > blankline
      > blankline
      > dividing point:delimiter
      > blank line
      > text
      > text
      >
      > The number of blank lines before or after the content is varied. So
      > simple search and replaces don't work. I have already taken the file
      > and stepped through it so that in step one, the first part before the
      > first dividing line/delimiter is loaded into a variable. I then save
      > that variable to a new file. Before saving, however, I want to clean it
      > up. I may be able to do it with your clips which I will study after
      > saving it. If I could do it before saving it, even better. In fact if
      > I could do the file before running my steps on it, maybe that would
      > work. I don't know the file size as this is to help another person.
      > The sample they sent me was fairly small.
      >
      > Double returns between paragraphs aren't my concern, it was the extra
      > white space before and after the delimiters that I am trying to get out
      > of the variables.
      >
      > I'll start working with this suggestion.

      Don,

      'dividing point:delimiter' - What is this delimiter? Is it the same
      character or string of characters in every case?

      Offhand, it looks as if this clip would be best(easiest) to modify to
      fill the need.

      H="Xblanklines"
      ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
      ^!SetWordWrap 0
      ;^!Replace {\n\n}\n+ >> \1 WRSA
      ^!Jump 1
      :LEADING
      ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
      ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LEADING
      ^!Jump DOC_END
      :TRAILING
      ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
      ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE TRAILING
      ^!InsertText ^%nl%
      ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

      ºvº
      05.09.07
      hrs > hsavage@...
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
        > Don,
        >
        > 'dividing point:delimiter' - What is this delimiter? Is it the same
        > character or string of characters in every case?
        >
        > Offhand, it looks as if this clip would be best(easiest) to modify to
        > fill the need.
        >
        > H="Xblanklines"
        > ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
        > ^!SetWordWrap 0
        > ;^!Replace {\n\n}\n+ >> \1 WRSA
        > ^!Jump 1
        > :LEADING
        > ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
        > ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LEADING
        > ^!Jump DOC_END
        > :TRAILING
        > ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
        > ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE TRAILING
        > ^!InsertText ^%nl%
        > ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

        yes, always the same string of characters is used as the delimiter
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
          Don/others

          If part of your sample is :
          text
          blankline
          blankline
          dividing point:delimiter
          blank line
          blank line
          blank line
          text

          then this regexp (not tested) should convert it to:

          text
          dividing point:delimiter
          text

          ^!replace "\n+dividing point:delimiter\n+" >> "\ndividing point:delimiter\n"
          rwsait

          Note: if the sample is already:
          text
          dividing point:delimiter
          text
          -- then the above regexp is a no-op and will get hits but not alter what is
          already there.

          subject of course to the main file not being so large that regexp's fail.
          AFAICT, you could put it at either the top or bottom of HRS' earlier clip
          which did not include support for the delimiter and get what you require.

          Regards ... Alec
          --
          ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

          >> 'dividing point:delimiter' - What is this delimiter? Is
          >> it the same character or string of characters in every
          >> case?
          >>
          >> Offhand, it looks as if this clip would be best(easiest)
          >> to modify to fill the need.
          >>
          >> H="Xblanklines"
          >> ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
          >> ^!SetWordWrap 0
          >> ;^!Replace {\n\n}\n+ >> \1 WRSA
          >> ^!Jump 1
          >>> LEADING
          >> ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
          >> ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LEADING
          >> ^!Jump DOC_END
          >>> TRAILING
          >> ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
          >> ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE TRAILING
          >> ^!InsertText ^%nl%
          >> ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%
          >>
          > yes, always the same string of characters is used as the
          > delimiter
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
            Alec Burgess wrote:
            > Don/others
            >
            > then this regexp (not tested) should convert it to:
            >
            > text
            > dividing point:delimiter
            > text
            >
            > ^!replace "\n+dividing point:delimiter\n+" >> "\ndividing
            point:delimiter\n"
            > rwsait
            >
            > Note: if the sample is already:
            > text
            > dividing point:delimiter
            > text
            > -- then the above regexp is a no-op and will get hits but not alter
            what is
            > already there.
            >
            > subject of course to the main file not being so large that regexp's fail.
            > AFAICT, you could put it at either the top or bottom of HRS' earlier clip
            > which did not include support for the delimiter and get what you require.
            >
            > Regards ... Alec

            Alec, Don,

            This regex is now tested. Adding Alec's ^!Replace to one of my earlier
            attempts and changing the delimiter to the correct characters the clip
            now works fine on my limited sample.

            H="Xblanklines"
            ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
            ^!SetWordWrap 0
            ^!Jump 1
            :LOOP_TOP
            ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
            ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_TOP
            ^!Replace "\n+==========\n+" >> "\n==========\n" IWRSA
            ^!Jump DOC_END
            :LOOP_END
            ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
            ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_END
            ^!InsertText ^%nl%
            ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

            Try it, let us know.

            ºvº
            05.09.07
            hrs > hsavage@...
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
              hsavage wrote:
              > Alec Burgess wrote:
              >> Don/others
              >> subject of course to the main file not being so large that regexp's
              fail.
              >> AFAICT, you could put it at either the top or bottom of HRS'
              earlier clip
              >> which did not include support for the delimiter and get what you
              require.

              >> Regards ... Alec
              >
              > Alec, Don,
              >
              > This regex is now tested. Adding Alec's ^!Replace to one of my earlier
              > attempts and changing the delimiter to the correct characters the clip
              > now works fine on my limited sample.
              >
              > H="Xblanklines"
              > ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
              > ^!SetWordWrap 0
              > ^!Jump 1
              > :LOOP_TOP
              > ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
              > ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_TOP
              > ^!Replace "\n+==========\n+" >> "\n==========\n" IWRSA
              > ^!Jump DOC_END
              > :LOOP_END
              > ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
              > ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_END
              > ^!InsertText ^%nl%
              > ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%
              >
              > Try it, let us know.
              >
              > ºvº
              > 05.09.07
              > hrs > hsavage@...

              The regex can be shortened somewhat as follows,

              ^!Replace "\n+{==========}\n+" >> "\n\1\n" IWRSA

              ºvº
              05.09.07
              hrs > hsavage@...
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 10, 2005
                Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                >>> if I have a variable that contains this
                >
                > blankline
                > blankline
                > text
                > text
                > blankline
                > text
                > text
                > blankline
                > blankline
                > ==========
                > blankline
                > blankline
                > blankline
                > text
                > text
                > blankline
                > text
                > text
                > ==========
                > blankline
                > blankline
                > blankline
                > text
                > text
                > blankline
                > text
                > text
                > blankline
                > blankline
                > blankline
                >
                > The number of blank lines before or after the content is varied. So
                > simple search and replaces don't work. I have already taken the file
                > and stepped through it so that in step one, the first part before the
                > first dividing line/delimiter is loaded into a variable. I then save
                > that variable to a new file. Before saving, however, I want to clean it
                > up. I may be able to do it with your clips which I will study after
                > saving it. If I could do it before saving it, even better. In fact if
                > I could do the file before running my steps on it, maybe that would
                > work. I don't know the file size as this is to help another person.
                > The sample they sent me was fairly small.
                >
                > Double returns between paragraphs aren't my concern, it was the extra
                > white space before and after the delimiters that I am trying to get out
                > of the variables.

                Don,

                Here's my latest revision to remove extra blank lines and transform the
                files into bite-sized indexed/numbered files. Try it to see if it suits.

                The blankline entries above represents an empty line. I did multiple
                paste to create a sample file just over 60 kb, clip performed great.

                H="X_Blanklines"
                ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
                ^!SetWordWrap 0
                ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                ;
                ; sets filename variable and tab location to use later
                ^!Set %doc_idx%=^$GetDocIndex$
                ^!Set %fn%=^$GetPath(^##)$^$GetName(^##)$
                ;
                ; removes empty lines from bof
                ^!Jump 1
                :LOOP_TOP
                ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
                ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_TOP
                ;
                ; removes empty lines either side of delimiters
                ^!Replace "\n+{==========}\n+" >> "\n\1\n" IWRSA
                ^!Jump DOC_END
                ;
                ; removes empty lines from eof
                :LOOP_END
                ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
                ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_END
                ;
                ; adds delimiter to eof and saves
                ^!InsertText "^p==========^p"
                ^!Save
                ;
                ; creates temp file to dissect
                ^!Set %tf%=^$GetTempFile$
                ^!TextToFile "^%tf%" ^$GetFileText(^##)$
                ^!Open "^%tf%"
                ^!SetWordWrap 0
                ;
                ; selects topmost text for numbered file - allows 3 digit numbers
                ^!Set %df%=0
                :DF
                ^!Inc %df%
                ^!Set %df%=^$StrCopyRight("00^%df%";3)$
                ^!Find "==========" S
                ^!IfError END
                ^!DeleteLine
                ^!SelectTo 1:1
                ;
                ; cuts and copies each selection numbered file
                ^!Menu Edit/Cut
                ^!TextToFile "^%fn%_^%df%." ^$GetClipboard$
                ^!Goto DF
                :END
                ;
                ; destroys empty tempfile after dissection, refocuses original file
                ^!DestroyDoc
                ^!SetDocIndex ^%doc_idx%
                ;
                ; removes previously added delimiter at eof and saves
                ^!Jump DOC_END
                ^!IfError SKIP
                ^!DeleteLine
                ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%
                ^!Save

                With the commented lines removed it's not a very large clip.

                ºvº
                05.09.10
                hrs > hsavage@...