Re: [Clip] removing blank lines at start and end of a variable

  • Jeffery Scism
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
      slower but why not just replace

      ^P^P with ^P, and rerun it until no more are found?

      ~~

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
      Local Coordinator Representative,
      NE/NC Region, USGenWeb Project

      http://usgenweb.org/

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
        Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
        > hsavage wrote:
        >>
        >> Have you found a suitable method to do the above, if not I've devised 2
        >> clip methods for the job?
        >>
        >> The first should work regardless of filesize, it only deals with the
        >> start and end lines, the second is dependant on selecting the entire
        >> file. This could possibly exceed NoteTabs internal Selection or
        >> Paragraph limits with a very large file.
        >>
        >> With either clip un-commenting the ^!Replace line will ensure there are
        >> no 'extra' blank lines between paragraphs.
        >>

        > Thanks for your continued efforts on this. I have not solved it yet.
        > The prior suggestion assumed that I had just two lines of text. That is
        > a fair (though inacurate) assumption based upon my question. What I did
        > is take a file that may look like this:
        >
        > blank line
        > blank line
        > text
        > text
        > blankline
        > text
        > text
        > blankline
        > blankline
        > dividing point:delimiter
        > blank line
        > text
        > text
        >
        > The number of blank lines before or after the content is varied. So
        > simple search and replaces don't work. I have already taken the file
        > and stepped through it so that in step one, the first part before the
        > first dividing line/delimiter is loaded into a variable. I then save
        > that variable to a new file. Before saving, however, I want to clean it
        > up. I may be able to do it with your clips which I will study after
        > saving it. If I could do it before saving it, even better. In fact if
        > I could do the file before running my steps on it, maybe that would
        > work. I don't know the file size as this is to help another person.
        > The sample they sent me was fairly small.
        >
        > Double returns between paragraphs aren't my concern, it was the extra
        > white space before and after the delimiters that I am trying to get out
        > of the variables.
        >
        > I'll start working with this suggestion.

        Don,

        'dividing point:delimiter' - What is this delimiter? Is it the same
        character or string of characters in every case?

        Offhand, it looks as if this clip would be best(easiest) to modify to
        fill the need.

        H="Xblanklines"
        ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
        ^!SetWordWrap 0
        ;^!Replace {\n\n}\n+ >> \1 WRSA
        ^!Jump 1
        :LEADING
        ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
        ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LEADING
        ^!Jump DOC_END
        :TRAILING
        ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
        ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE TRAILING
        ^!InsertText ^%nl%
        ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

        ºvº
        05.09.07
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
          > Don,
          >
          > 'dividing point:delimiter' - What is this delimiter? Is it the same
          > character or string of characters in every case?
          >
          > Offhand, it looks as if this clip would be best(easiest) to modify to
          > fill the need.
          >
          > H="Xblanklines"
          > ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
          > ^!SetWordWrap 0
          > ;^!Replace {\n\n}\n+ >> \1 WRSA
          > ^!Jump 1
          > :LEADING
          > ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
          > ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LEADING
          > ^!Jump DOC_END
          > :TRAILING
          > ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
          > ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE TRAILING
          > ^!InsertText ^%nl%
          > ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

          yes, always the same string of characters is used as the delimiter
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
            Don/others

            If part of your sample is :
            text
            blankline
            blankline
            dividing point:delimiter
            blank line
            blank line
            blank line
            text

            then this regexp (not tested) should convert it to:

            text
            dividing point:delimiter
            text

            ^!replace "\n+dividing point:delimiter\n+" >> "\ndividing point:delimiter\n"
            rwsait

            Note: if the sample is already:
            text
            dividing point:delimiter
            text
            -- then the above regexp is a no-op and will get hits but not alter what is
            already there.

            subject of course to the main file not being so large that regexp's fail.
            AFAICT, you could put it at either the top or bottom of HRS' earlier clip
            which did not include support for the delimiter and get what you require.

            Regards ... Alec
            --
            ; ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

            >> 'dividing point:delimiter' - What is this delimiter? Is
            >> it the same character or string of characters in every
            >> case?
            >>
            >> Offhand, it looks as if this clip would be best(easiest)
            >> to modify to fill the need.
            >>
            >> H="Xblanklines"
            >> ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
            >> ^!SetWordWrap 0
            >> ;^!Replace {\n\n}\n+ >> \1 WRSA
            >> ^!Jump 1
            >>> LEADING
            >> ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
            >> ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LEADING
            >> ^!Jump DOC_END
            >>> TRAILING
            >> ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
            >> ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE TRAILING
            >> ^!InsertText ^%nl%
            >> ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%
            >>
            > yes, always the same string of characters is used as the
            > delimiter
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
              Alec Burgess wrote:
              > Don/others
              >
              > then this regexp (not tested) should convert it to:
              >
              > text
              > dividing point:delimiter
              > text
              >
              > ^!replace "\n+dividing point:delimiter\n+" >> "\ndividing
              point:delimiter\n"
              > rwsait
              >
              > Note: if the sample is already:
              > text
              > dividing point:delimiter
              > text
              > -- then the above regexp is a no-op and will get hits but not alter
              what is
              > already there.
              >
              > subject of course to the main file not being so large that regexp's fail.
              > AFAICT, you could put it at either the top or bottom of HRS' earlier clip
              > which did not include support for the delimiter and get what you require.
              >
              > Regards ... Alec

              Alec, Don,

              This regex is now tested. Adding Alec's ^!Replace to one of my earlier
              attempts and changing the delimiter to the correct characters the clip
              now works fine on my limited sample.

              H="Xblanklines"
              ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
              ^!SetWordWrap 0
              ^!Replace "\n+==========\n+" >> "\n==========\n" IWRSA
              ^!Jump DOC_END
              :LOOP_END
              ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
              ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_END
              ^!InsertText ^%nl%
              ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

              Try it, let us know.

              ºvº
              05.09.07
              hrs > hsavage@...
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                hsavage wrote:
                > Alec Burgess wrote:
                >> Don/others
                >> subject of course to the main file not being so large that regexp's
                fail.
                >> AFAICT, you could put it at either the top or bottom of HRS'
                earlier clip
                >> which did not include support for the delimiter and get what you
                require.

                >> Regards ... Alec
                >
                > Alec, Don,
                >
                > This regex is now tested. Adding Alec's ^!Replace to one of my earlier
                > attempts and changing the delimiter to the correct characters the clip
                > now works fine on my limited sample.
                >
                > H="Xblanklines"
                > ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
                > ^!SetWordWrap 0
                > ^!Jump 1
                > :LOOP_TOP
                > ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
                > ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_TOP
                > ^!Replace "\n+==========\n+" >> "\n==========\n" IWRSA
                > ^!Jump DOC_END
                > :LOOP_END
                > ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
                > ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_END
                > ^!InsertText ^%nl%
                > ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%
                >
                > Try it, let us know.
                >
                > ºvº
                > 05.09.07
                > hrs > hsavage@...

                The regex can be shortened somewhat as follows,

                ^!Replace "\n+{==========}\n+" >> "\n\1\n" IWRSA

                ºvº
                05.09.07
                hrs > hsavage@...
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 10, 2005
                  Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                  >>> if I have a variable that contains this
                  >
                  > blankline
                  > blankline
                  > text
                  > text
                  > blankline
                  > text
                  > text
                  > blankline
                  > blankline
                  > ==========
                  > blankline
                  > blankline
                  > blankline
                  > text
                  > text
                  > blankline
                  > text
                  > text
                  > ==========
                  > blankline
                  > blankline
                  > blankline
                  > text
                  > text
                  > blankline
                  > text
                  > text
                  > blankline
                  > blankline
                  > blankline
                  >
                  > The number of blank lines before or after the content is varied. So
                  > simple search and replaces don't work. I have already taken the file
                  > and stepped through it so that in step one, the first part before the
                  > first dividing line/delimiter is loaded into a variable. I then save
                  > that variable to a new file. Before saving, however, I want to clean it
                  > up. I may be able to do it with your clips which I will study after
                  > saving it. If I could do it before saving it, even better. In fact if
                  > I could do the file before running my steps on it, maybe that would
                  > work. I don't know the file size as this is to help another person.
                  > The sample they sent me was fairly small.
                  >
                  > Double returns between paragraphs aren't my concern, it was the extra
                  > white space before and after the delimiters that I am trying to get out
                  > of the variables.

                  Don,

                  Here's my latest revision to remove extra blank lines and transform the
                  files into bite-sized indexed/numbered files. Try it to see if it suits.

                  The blankline entries above represents an empty line. I did multiple
                  paste to create a sample file just over 60 kb, clip performed great.

                  H="X_Blanklines"
                  ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
                  ^!SetWordWrap 0
                  ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                  ;
                  ; sets filename variable and tab location to use later
                  ^!Set %doc_idx%=^$GetDocIndex$
                  ^!Set %fn%=^$GetPath(^##)$^$GetName(^##)$
                  ;
                  ; removes empty lines from bof
                  ^!Jump 1
                  :LOOP_TOP
                  ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!DeleteLine
                  ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_TOP
                  ;
                  ; removes empty lines either side of delimiters
                  ^!Replace "\n+{==========}\n+" >> "\n\1\n" IWRSA
                  ^!Jump DOC_END
                  ;
                  ; removes empty lines from eof
                  :LOOP_END
                  ^!If "^$GetLine$" = "" ^!KeyBoard BACKSPACE
                  ^!If "^$GetLine$" <> "" NEXT ELSE LOOP_END
                  ;
                  ; adds delimiter to eof and saves
                  ^!InsertText "^p==========^p"
                  ^!Save
                  ;
                  ; creates temp file to dissect
                  ^!Set %tf%=^$GetTempFile$
                  ^!TextToFile "^%tf%" ^$GetFileText(^##)$
                  ^!Open "^%tf%"
                  ^!SetWordWrap 0
                  ;
                  ; selects topmost text for numbered file - allows 3 digit numbers
                  ^!Set %df%=0
                  :DF
                  ^!Inc %df%
                  ^!Set %df%=^$StrCopyRight("00^%df%";3)$
                  ^!Find "==========" S
                  ^!IfError END
                  ^!DeleteLine
                  ^!SelectTo 1:1
                  ;
                  ; cuts and copies each selection numbered file
                  ^!Menu Edit/Cut
                  ^!TextToFile "^%fn%_^%df%." ^$GetClipboard$
                  ^!Goto DF
                  :END
                  ;
                  ; destroys empty tempfile after dissection, refocuses original file
                  ^!DestroyDoc
                  ^!SetDocIndex ^%doc_idx%
                  ;
                  ; removes previously added delimiter at eof and saves
                  ^!Jump DOC_END
                  ^!IfError SKIP
                  ^!DeleteLine
                  ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%
                  ^!Save

                  With the commented lines removed it's not a very large clip.

                  ºvº
                  05.09.10
                  hrs > hsavage@...