Re: [Clip] Determining Active INI Filename?

  • abairheart
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
      > Jamal,
      >
      > I would be interested to know under what circumstances you have
      trouble
      > editing and saving the NoteTab ini file. I would like to try
      > duplicating the problem.

      PMFBI,

      I've encountered this problem often. It is related to file ownership.
      If you create an INI file in one user account, then try to edit it as a
      different user, you MAY have trouble writing to the file (Windows XP).

      In particular, if you create a file as admiistrator, and then switch
      over to a regular user account, the regular user will not have the same
      permissions, as the administrator.

      Abair
    • Jamal Mazrui
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
        Thanks--that helps me understand the cause of the problem!

        I have not logged in as a different user, but I have run clips from the
        command line with another program while NoteTab is open. I did notice
        that NoteTab retrieved a different AppData shell folder value within a
        clip in that case, so apparently Windows treats the other program
        running the clip as a different user name. In fact, I recall the user
        name being something like "Local Service" on one computer exhibiting
        this problem.

        Can you think of a way around the problem? I still want to be able to
        run clips via the command line while NoteTab is open.

        Jamal

        I've encountered this problem often. It is related to file ownership.
        If you create an INI file in one user account, then try to edit it as a
        different user, you MAY have trouble writing to the file (Windows XP).

        In particular, if you create a file as admiistrator, and then switch
        over to a regular user account, the regular user will not have the same
        permissions, as the administrator.

        Abair

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • abairheart
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Jamal Mazrui" <Jamal.Mazrui@f...>
          wrote:

          > Can you think of a way around the problem? I still want to be able to
          > run clips via the command line while NoteTab is open.

          I've sorta learned to live with it -- it's never been much of an issue
          with me, but if you know how to change ownership of a file, then that
          may be the solution. "Take ownership" in the personality, that you want
          access in.

          Another way might be to recreate the file deliberately, using the logon
          personality, that you want to give control to.

          I'm fairly sure, that the problem is a Windows problem, rather than a
          NoteTab problem.

          Abair