RE: [Clip] Determining Active INI Filename?

  • Jamal Mazrui
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      Unfortunately, I can't give you a set of replicable circumstances. When the problem happens, it is either with the ProgIniSave command or upon closing NoteTab, when it tries to save its current settings. The problem happens randomly on my Windows XP Home computer, and consistently on a Windows XP Pro Media Center computer of a friend.

      I did report the problem previously on this list in search of a solution, but apparently none was available.

      Jamal

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, John Mitchell <notetab@l...> wrote:
        [ . . ]
        > [ . . ] (of 2 ini's) I have had a look at the Clip
        > help file but can't find any way to programmatically establish what
        INI
        > file is in use.

        I think this has been answered. But I've only been partially
        following threads here lately (messing too much with Linux and Perl
        lately) if'n ya got the Geek time for it, those two do pack some
        power/punch/gusto (Linus wasn't kidding when he picked the image of a
        racing/storming (very energetic) penguin to associate with Linux).

        H="testing_3_2_1"
        ; creates junk.ini
        ; swaps and shows ini three times then returns to
        ; default ini and offers choice to delete junk.ini
        ^!Set %altini%=JUNK; %ext%=.ini
        ^!TextToFile "^$GetAppPath$^%altini%^%ext%" ^$GetFileText
        (^$GetIniFile$)$
        ^!Info curr ini^%NL%^%NL%^$GetIniFile$
        ^!SetIniFile ^$GetAppPath$JUNK
        ^!Info curr ini^%NL%^%NL%^$GetIniFile$
        ^!SetIniFile
        ^!Info curr ini^%NL%^%NL%^$GetIniFile$
        ^!Skip Delete ^$GetAppPath$^%altini%^%ext% ?
        ^!Goto end
        ^!DeleteFile "^$GetAppPath$^%altini%^%ext%"
        ; ----end_of_clip-----

        --
        Alan.
      • abairheart
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
          > Jamal,
          >
          > I would be interested to know under what circumstances you have
          trouble
          > editing and saving the NoteTab ini file. I would like to try
          > duplicating the problem.

          PMFBI,

          I've encountered this problem often. It is related to file ownership.
          If you create an INI file in one user account, then try to edit it as a
          different user, you MAY have trouble writing to the file (Windows XP).

          In particular, if you create a file as admiistrator, and then switch
          over to a regular user account, the regular user will not have the same
          permissions, as the administrator.

          Abair
        • Jamal Mazrui
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
            Thanks--that helps me understand the cause of the problem!

            I have not logged in as a different user, but I have run clips from the
            command line with another program while NoteTab is open. I did notice
            that NoteTab retrieved a different AppData shell folder value within a
            clip in that case, so apparently Windows treats the other program
            running the clip as a different user name. In fact, I recall the user
            name being something like "Local Service" on one computer exhibiting
            this problem.

            Can you think of a way around the problem? I still want to be able to
            run clips via the command line while NoteTab is open.

            Jamal

            I've encountered this problem often. It is related to file ownership.
            If you create an INI file in one user account, then try to edit it as a
            different user, you MAY have trouble writing to the file (Windows XP).

            In particular, if you create a file as admiistrator, and then switch
            over to a regular user account, the regular user will not have the same
            permissions, as the administrator.

            Abair

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • abairheart
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Jamal Mazrui" <Jamal.Mazrui@f...>
              wrote:

              > Can you think of a way around the problem? I still want to be able to
              > run clips via the command line while NoteTab is open.

              I've sorta learned to live with it -- it's never been much of an issue
              with me, but if you know how to change ownership of a file, then that
              may be the solution. "Take ownership" in the personality, that you want
              access in.

              Another way might be to recreate the file deliberately, using the logon
              personality, that you want to give control to.

              I'm fairly sure, that the problem is a Windows problem, rather than a
              NoteTab problem.

              Abair