Re: [Clip] Determining Active INI Filename?

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2005
      Jamal Mazrui wrote:
      > Let me caution people against editing NotePro.ini. It does not work as
      > documented on Windows XP and above. Mysterious problems sometimes arise
      > where NoteTab cannot save the .ini file. I have not found an
      > authoritative answer despite extensive web searching, but the most
      > plausible explanation, suggested on this and another list, is related to
      > security settings that cause eitehr Windows XP or antivirus software to
      > suspect changes to a .ini file and block the attempt.
      >
      > I have found that one is better off saving and restoring values to a
      > .ini file other than the default one used by NoteTab. Alternatively, ,
      > set NoteTab to use the Windows registry rather than a .ini file, and the
      > problem seems to be avoided.
      >
      > Again, this problem is not pervasive. It may not happen on your
      > computer, so if you are the only one using the clips, you may not need
      > to worry about it. If you are writing clips for others to use as well,
      > however, I suggest the above work-arounds for what has been a
      > frustrating and time-consuming problem for me.
      >
      > Jamal

      Jamal,

      I would be interested to know under what circumstances you have trouble
      editing and saving the NoteTab ini file. I would like to try
      duplicating the problem.

      I've used NoteTab on Windows version 3.11 thru XP Pro. The last 2 OSes
      I've used are XP Home, now XP Pro Media Center. I'm using inifiles with
      increasing frequency from Win98 till now.

      I always use the NoteTab inifile to store settings, not the registry,
      and have never had an occasion, that I recall, when NoteTab
      couldn't/wouldn't save/write to the inifile. I edit NotePro.ini fairly
      often and never use an intermediate file. I do, however, save a backup
      copy of NoteTab's ini file now and then, just in case.

      At present I have 54 current inifiles that store data for use on a web
      site that I maintain and it is entirely done using template files and
      ini files and they work wonderfully. I, also, use inifiles with several
      other of my clips and have no problems.

      I use Panda AV w/firewall, some Windows security options enabled and no
      problems yet, but, I can see a problem with profile permissions on a
      multi-user computer but I have very limited experience with that scenario.

      ºvº
      05.08.31
      hrs > hsavage@...
    • Jamal Mazrui
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1 8:34 AM
        Unfortunately, I can't give you a set of replicable circumstances. When the problem happens, it is either with the ProgIniSave command or upon closing NoteTab, when it tries to save its current settings. The problem happens randomly on my Windows XP Home computer, and consistently on a Windows XP Pro Media Center computer of a friend.

        I did report the problem previously on this list in search of a solution, but apparently none was available.

        Jamal

        > Let me caution people against editing NotePro.ini. It does not work as
        > documented on Windows XP and above. Mysterious problems sometimes arise
        > where NoteTab cannot save the .ini file. I have not found an
        > authoritative answer despite extensive web searching, but the most
        > plausible explanation, suggested on this and another list, is related to
        > security settings that cause eitehr Windows XP or antivirus software to
        > suspect changes to a .ini file and block the attempt.
        >
        > I have found that one is better off saving and restoring values to a
        > .ini file other than the default one used by NoteTab. Alternatively, ,
        > set NoteTab to use the Windows registry rather than a .ini file, and the
        > problem seems to be avoided.
        >
        > Again, this problem is not pervasive. It may not happen on your
        > computer, so if you are the only one using the clips, you may not need
        > to worry about it. If you are writing clips for others to use as well,
        > however, I suggest the above work-arounds for what has been a
        > frustrating and time-consuming problem for me.
        >
        > Jamal

        Jamal,

        I would be interested to know under what circumstances you have trouble
        editing and saving the NoteTab ini file. I would like to try
        duplicating the problem.

        I've used NoteTab on Windows version 3.11 thru XP Pro. The last 2 OSes
        I've used are XP Home, now XP Pro Media Center. I'm using inifiles with
        increasing frequency from Win98 till now.

        I always use the NoteTab inifile to store settings, not the registry,
        and have never had an occasion, that I recall, when NoteTab
        couldn't/wouldn't save/write to the inifile. I edit NotePro.ini fairly
        often and never use an intermediate file. I do, however, save a backup
        copy of NoteTab's ini file now and then, just in case.

        At present I have 54 current inifiles that store data for use on a web
        site that I maintain and it is entirely done using template files and
        ini files and they work wonderfully. I, also, use inifiles with several
        other of my clips and have no problems.

        I use Panda AV w/firewall, some Windows security options enabled and no
        problems yet, but, I can see a problem with profile permissions on a
        multi-user computer but I have very limited experience with that scenario.

        ºvº
        05.08.31
        hrs > hsavage@...

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • acummingsus
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2 2:27 AM
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, John Mitchell <notetab@l...> wrote:
          [ . . ]
          > [ . . ] (of 2 ini's) I have had a look at the Clip
          > help file but can't find any way to programmatically establish what
          INI
          > file is in use.

          I think this has been answered. But I've only been partially
          following threads here lately (messing too much with Linux and Perl
          lately) if'n ya got the Geek time for it, those two do pack some
          power/punch/gusto (Linus wasn't kidding when he picked the image of a
          racing/storming (very energetic) penguin to associate with Linux).

          H="testing_3_2_1"
          ; creates junk.ini
          ; swaps and shows ini three times then returns to
          ; default ini and offers choice to delete junk.ini
          ^!Set %altini%=JUNK; %ext%=.ini
          ^!TextToFile "^$GetAppPath$^%altini%^%ext%" ^$GetFileText
          (^$GetIniFile$)$
          ^!Info curr ini^%NL%^%NL%^$GetIniFile$
          ^!SetIniFile ^$GetAppPath$JUNK
          ^!Info curr ini^%NL%^%NL%^$GetIniFile$
          ^!SetIniFile
          ^!Info curr ini^%NL%^%NL%^$GetIniFile$
          ^!Skip Delete ^$GetAppPath$^%altini%^%ext% ?
          ^!Goto end
          ^!DeleteFile "^$GetAppPath$^%altini%^%ext%"
          ; ----end_of_clip-----

          --
          Alan.
        • abairheart
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2 1:31 PM
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
            > Jamal,
            >
            > I would be interested to know under what circumstances you have
            trouble
            > editing and saving the NoteTab ini file. I would like to try
            > duplicating the problem.

            PMFBI,

            I've encountered this problem often. It is related to file ownership.
            If you create an INI file in one user account, then try to edit it as a
            different user, you MAY have trouble writing to the file (Windows XP).

            In particular, if you create a file as admiistrator, and then switch
            over to a regular user account, the regular user will not have the same
            permissions, as the administrator.

            Abair
          • Jamal Mazrui
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2 1:44 PM
              Thanks--that helps me understand the cause of the problem!

              I have not logged in as a different user, but I have run clips from the
              command line with another program while NoteTab is open. I did notice
              that NoteTab retrieved a different AppData shell folder value within a
              clip in that case, so apparently Windows treats the other program
              running the clip as a different user name. In fact, I recall the user
              name being something like "Local Service" on one computer exhibiting
              this problem.

              Can you think of a way around the problem? I still want to be able to
              run clips via the command line while NoteTab is open.

              Jamal

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3 12:13 PM
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Jamal Mazrui" <Jamal.Mazrui@f...>
                wrote:

                > Can you think of a way around the problem? I still want to be able to
                > run clips via the command line while NoteTab is open.

                I've sorta learned to live with it -- it's never been much of an issue
                with me, but if you know how to change ownership of a file, then that
                may be the solution. "Take ownership" in the personality, that you want
                access in.

                Another way might be to recreate the file deliberately, using the logon
                personality, that you want to give control to.

                I'm fairly sure, that the problem is a Windows problem, rather than a
                NoteTab problem.

                Abair